Chapter 6:

Yours, Never Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6:

Jiyong didn’t see Hyoyeon again until twelve days later being dragged into BB Loans by an excited Seora, who leapt at Taeyang with a girlish giggle. Jiyong was conversing with Seunghyun over a client severely behind on his payment and they had to deal with when the girls arrived. The, now amethyst hair colored, man lowered his file while his heart seemed to patter faster in his chest for some reason as he eyed Hyoyeon who stayed by the entrance.

“Seora, what are you two doing here?” Taeyang inquired, sounding pleasantly surprised.

His wife patted his cheeks with a smile on her face. “We just spent the day shopping,” she sang happily, “and now we wanted to know if you boys have eaten yet?”

“Ah,” Taeyang murmured glancing over his shoulder at Seunghyun and Jiyong. “We haven’t, but we still have a lot of work to do.”

“That’s okay we can bring the food to you guys,” she smiled.

Jiyong glanced at his watch to see it was already seven in the evening. Seunghyun was yawning and Taeyang looked exhausted. They had all come in extra early that day to finish up several contracts they had from January. It was already February.

“We can call it a day,” Jiyong said lowering his arm.

“Really?” Seunghyun asked eagerly.

Jiyong chortled. “Yeah, it’s been a long day. I’ll see you guys tomorrow.”

Standing from his perch of Seunghyun’s desk Jiyong closed the file in his hands and placed it aside. He straightened his suit as he moved towards his office door. Taeyang and Seora already chatting animatedly to one another while Seunghyun packed his things to go.

“Miss Gho I’ll take you home,” he said offhandedly as he made his way to his office.

“Oh, Hyoyeon! Your bags,” Seora burst.

“You can get your things from Mrs. Im’s car. I’ll meet you outside,” Jiyong informed.

“Alright,” Hyoyeon simply replied.

With that he entered his office, packed up the scattered files, locked the cabinets and switched off the lights before heading down. He was the last one out of BB Loans.  Once on the street he saw that Seunghyun was long gone and Seora’s car was idling at the curb with the passenger window lowered as Seora talked to Hyoyeon, who had three paper shopping bags from high-end stores on her arm. Jiyong approached her and she bid farewell to Seora who waved back, Taeyang driving the car into traffic.

“Here,” Hyoyeon said holding out a black bag to him. They were waiting for his towncar to come round that he paged for while in the elevator.

Jiyong raised a brow, confused by the gesture. “The car will be here soon, you can hold it.”

Hyoyeon rolled her eyes as she continued to hold the bag out to him. “It’s for you. Take it.”

Hesitantly the man took the bag, his fingers brushing hers as she released the handles. Hyoyeon got him something. Why? The thought bamboozled him as he opened the bag to look inside. What would she even get him? He had high-class and picky taste, there was no way he was going to like what was in the bag even if he had shopped at that particular store countless times. Hyoyeon herself had called him difficult -- along with saying something about loving him, but Jiyong had done a good job repressing that thought -- so why on earth would she try to get him anything. Yejin had tried once and it epically , though he never told her, but she seemed to figure that out since he never wore that tie. Ever.

Opening the bag he found a matted silver box with a brand logo stamped to the lid. He removed the palm sized box, biting the inside of his cheek as he removed the lid. He felt the wind and apprehension get knocked out of him as he saw what sat on the red velvet cushions. Cufflinks. Yet they weren’t just any cufflinks. They were white gold with black diamonds and sapphires creating a blue flame on the flat surface of the links. They were just smaller than a bottle cap, sparkly and completely something Jiyong had had his eye on, but never had the time to go buy himself.

During his ogling and appreciation of the accessory the town car had arrived and Hyoyeon had already climbed into the backseat, leaving the door open for Jiyong. Leaning over the seat towards the opened door Hyoyeon called, “Mr. Kwon!” Jiyong snapped out of his daze looking to her. “Are you going to get in?”

Closing the box and sticking it back into the bag he quickly joined the girl into his car. Once inside, door shut, his driver took off and Jiyong eyed Hyoyeon.

“Problem?” she calmly inquired.

He motioned to the black bag between them on the seat. “Why did you buy this?”

“Seemed your taste,” she replied rather simply. Jiyong didn’t understand. “That and because Seora wanted to go Valentine’s Day shopping. She insisted i had to get you something, though she thought cufflinks were too mundane of a gift and those were too expensive.” She shrugged at the end.

“They are expensive,” Jiyong stated. “How did you afford them? You’re not working.”

Hyoyeon smirked at him as she tilted her head. “Don’t forget I was a number one hostess. I have a hefty savings account loan-shark,” she replied in a teasing tone.

Jiyong gave a slow nod of understanding though his brain was working through a heavy fog. When it finally cleared his eyes widened and back straightened. “Valentine’s Day?” he exclaimed.

Hyoyeon snorted as she turned to peer out her window at the passing city. “It’s the day after tomorrow. I had no idea until Seora called me up begging to go shopping. I know far too much about her and Mr. Dong’s life now.”

Jiyong cringed at that thought, quickly pushing it away with the situation at hand. Valentine’s Day was soon, Hyoyeon had gotten him a gift -- though she presented it early -- and the people around him knew he had a girlfriend. He couldn’t do nothing, there was still an image he had to keep going.

Breaking out of his frantic thoughts he opened his mouth to say something, yet he had no idea what was going to come out, when Hyoyeon coolly cut him off. Her gaze still lazily staring out at the fleeting buildings.

“We don’t have to do anything,” she said. “There’s nothing romantic about going out to a crowded restaurant, upscale or not, not doing somethin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter