Chapter 4:

Yours, Never Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 4:

It had been two weeks since the Skydive Casino opening, which Jiyong and Hyoyeon only stayed for another hour after their encounter with Bambi. Yejin had apologized for his rude behavior, while Hyoyeon kindly assured her it was fine, something any good date would do to the kind host of a party. Jiyong was impressed with Hyoyeon’s ability to separate her private and work lives, though Bambi seemed to make both of those collide, violently.

Jiyong was at work, as he normally was, dealing with dull paperwork that he was debating on whether to make Seunghyun do it or not. It was just after three in the afternoon when a rapid knocking sounded at his door, to which he groaned heavily at. He had no more appointments that day, so why was he being bugged. Leaning back in his seat he granted access to the person knocking.

Popping his head inside Taeyong gave a cheeky grin as he said, “Hey boss.”

Narrowing his eyes at the man Jiyong muttered, “What do you want?” He only ever called JIyong ‘boss’ when he wanted something, or had bad ness. Jiyong was hoping it was just a request and not that Taeyang had broken another vehicle.

Stepping into the office Taeyang’s smile grew even more mischievous and Jiyong’s stress levels rose. “Well,” he said scratching the back of his neck. “Seora may have caught wind of the news that you have a girlfriend,” he air quoted, “and now she wants to arrange a girls’ day with Hyoyeon.”

Jiyong’s gaze narrowed further as a bubble of annoyance arose in his chest. Biting back the razor like comment the man simply hissed out, “Tell her no.”

Taeyang tossed his head back while his shoulders drooped as he grumbled, “I tried! But you know how stubborn she is, she refused to take no as an answer. The woman even threatened to ask you herself if I didn’t.” Taeyang looked defeated, and only his tiny wife could ever make him look like that. Lifting his head he begged, “Please boss. A simple shopping outing won’t hurt.”

Jiyong massaged his temples as he closed his eyes. Nothing was ever simple in his life, not even fake dating a girl. He was about to snap at Taeyang to tell his wife to get over it, but then several thoughts occurred to him in rapid succession. I have to keep face. But I can’t let Seora be alone with Hyoyeon. And Seora is too stubborn.

Slumping back in his seat Jiyong groaned and rubbed his palms over his face. When they fell into his lap he yelled, “Seunghyun!” Taeyang flinched at the volume.

“Wha--”

“Yeah,” Seunghyun said entering the office.

“Come finish my reports,” Jiyong ordered.

The man’s face fell. “What? Why?”

“Because,” Jiyong paused to sigh heavily, annoyed at what he was about to say. “Taeyang and I are going on a double date.”

Seunghyun snorted.

Taeyang’s face beamed brightly as he pumped his fist into the air. “Yes! Seora is gonna be so excited.”

Seunghyun glared between the two other men muttering, “I hate couples.”

“I’m genuinely surprised,” Hyoyeon commented as Jiyong’s driver drove them to the restaurant.

Jiyong and Taeyang had gone their separate ways from the office, agreeing to meet at the English restaurant with their respective dates. Jiyong had been caught off guard when Hyoyeon had answered her apartment door in only an oversized hoodie with bags under eyes. Once he collected himself from staring at her bare legs he told her to get dress for a personal lunch, which she did in record time. Jiyong had no idea a woman could get dressed and apply makeup so fast, even for him it took no less than forty-five minutes to make himself presentable. Hyoyeon was ready in twenty and her outfit was as cute as it was pretty. A teal skirt with white polka-dots and a cream, knitted sweater with a tulle flower by her left shoulder (and concealer hiding the gray smudges under her eyes).

“About what?” Jiyong inquired turning his attention away from his window.

Hyoyeon was still staring our hers as she replied with, “That we’re actually going on a casual date.”

He clucked his tongue. “I have to keep up appearances, which means being seen with you,” he murmured.

“Even with your business partner’s wife?” Turning to gaze at him Hyoyeon gave a small half smile. “No offense, but it just doesn’t seem like your style.”

Crossing his arms over his chest Jiyong challenged, “And what do you think my style is?”

Hyoyeon shifted in her seat so she was facing him better. “Private dinners, late night phone calls and surprise gifts,” she replied without a pause.

Jiyong felt his stomach flip and his heart clench at past events. At memories that he never wanted to let fo. Swallowing the bitterness gathering on the back of his tongue he said, “What makes you say that?”

“Bambi likes to gossip,” she said slowly, like she wasn’t sure if that name was allowed to be spoken. “Especially about relationships. He found Kwon Yejin’s story very amusing when he eventually found out.”

The loan-shark’s jaw clenched at the mention of the heartless pimp.

“Even so I still don’t think that’s your real style either,” Hyoyeon commented, her gaze returning to the view outside her window.

“What?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter