S02E01: Revelations

What Is Love?

A/N: Hear hear, season 2 is here! The response for the season 1 finale was awesome so I got inspired to finish S02E01 right away hehe. I really wanted you guys to be shook at the Minnie part *evil laugh* hehehe but also I’ve really been wanting to do Mimo vs. Minnie for a long time! Some of your questions will be answered in this episode so here it is :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previously on What Is Love?…

 

“Guys, this is Momo. She’s a member of our family now.”

 

“Who’s she?”

“That’s Myoui Mina.”

 

“Momo-chan, Dahyun here is my college best friend.”

“Uh-huh, and did you try sleeping with her, too?”

“With Sana? Never in a million years.”

 

“Dahyun, I see the way you look at Sana. You’re in love with her.”

 

“No, you don’t get it, Sana. Chaeyoung was right. You are completely blind.”

“Blind? What are you talking about?”

“I like you. As more than a friend.”

 

“Jihyo’s been telling me I’ve lost weight.”

“Now that you mention it… You do look like you’ve lost weight since I first got here. Are you trying to diet?”

“I guess you could say that.”

“Well, it isn’t healthy. From now on, I’m gonna make you breakfast and we’ll eat before work starts. And you don’t get to refuse.”

 

“Do you have any idea what it feels to be there for someone and have them ignore you completely? No, you don’t! So don’t tell me we’re not done, because we are. I am so, so done with you.”

Sana captures Dahyun’s soft-looking lips instead, pushing her against the wall behind her, kissing her wildly. She puts Dahyun’s arms over her own shoulders while she fixes her grip on Dahyun’s waist. She’s done this so many times before, yet it feels like it’s her first time. When she runs out of air, she proceeds to dive on Dahyun’s neck.

 

She’s an angel, Momo thinks to herself. Myoui Mina is an angel, and now Momo has the urge to kiss her again.

“Hello?” A pause. “Okay, I’m on my way. Thank you. Tell Jennie I’ll be there.”

“Who’s Jennie?”

“My girlfriend.”

 

Mina fumbles for her car keys while Momo stands there, dumbfounded at the newly revealed information. She’s still trying to process what just happened until she hears Mina curse, pulling Momo away from her thoughts.

 

“,” she mutters under her breath. “My keys, where the damn hell are my keys?”

 

“Okay, Mina, relax,” Momo says in a soothing voice. She has no idea how she could be so calm right now, but seeing Mina in distress like this for the very first time, Momo knew one of them has to have a sound mind. “Let me drive you. Look, I have a car right over there.”

 

“No, I’ll just have a chauffeur pick me up in like 30 minutes.”

 

A chauffeur? Myoui Mina never fails to surprise Momo.

 

“That’s too long, and judging by the way you’re acting right now, it seems like whatever this thing you have to go to, it couldn’t wait. Just let me drive you and I’ll drive you there, alright?”

 

Mina frowns at Momo, because the latter made total sense and Mina couldn’t argue with that.

 

“Okay.”

 

They’re inside the car when Momo asks, “Where are we supposed to go?”

 

“To Seoul National University Hospital.”

 

“A hospital?” Momo asks, starting the car.

 

“Yeah. Jennie… She’s in a coma. I mean, was.”

 

“Oh,” is all Momo says, because what else is there to say?

 

“Momo, I’m sorry. I really am.”

 

“No, don’t be.” Momo scoffs. “You did nothing wrong.”

 

“I felt like I lead you on, I mean, I cooked you breakfast, for crying out loud.”

 

“Okay, well, yeah, I guess all those breakfast… sessions got my hopes up, but I chose to get my hopes up, you know what I mean? I’m not blaming you for it.”

 

“I suppose…” Mina hesitates. “I suppose I should tell you about Jennie.”

 

“No, you don’t have to, if you don’t want.”

 

“I-I feel like I have to,” says Mina, her voice shaking. She takes a deep breath before she starts speaking again. “I met Jennie at the conference—the one we talked about last time, in MIT? She was studying at Seoul National University and got sent to the conference as well along with Jihyo, who’s been my friend since we were children. Jihyo introduced the two of us, we talked and we bonded but it wasn’t until I entered Tech Solutions two years ago that Jennie and I started dating.

 

“We didn’t tell anyone except Jihyo because Jennie was afraid it might put a negative image around us. She wanted to be a team leader and I was immediately put in the Design Team with a Bachelor’s degree, even though the general requirement was a Master’s degree. I agreed at first but over time I realized that it wouldn’t be a big deal at all since we were already at the positions that we wanted. That’s when we started fighting really bad, and the fights only got worse.

 

“One day she was absent at work because she was sick, but she didn’t stop texting me. We were still fighting, and I was so mad about why she doesn’t want us to be public so I kept ignoring her texts. She must’ve gotten worried, and she drove off to the office but she—she—” Mina chokes, unable to finish her story. But Momo understands.

 

“You visit her every day,” Momo says, finally putting an answer to the mystery she’d been dying to solve since her first day.

 

“I do,” Mina confirms it. “It was my fault she’s in the hospital right now, and if she doesn’t ever wake up I wouldn’t be able to live with myself.”

 

“Mina, it wasn’t your fault,” Momo tells her, not sure if Mina will believe it. “It was her choice to drive to you even though she was sick. Stop giving yourself all the blame.”

 

The rest of the ride is silent, save for the light raindrops that started pouring sometime during their conversation. It’s only when Momo pulls up by the hospital entrance that she breaks the silence.

 

“Just tell me one thing,” she says, not looking at Mina. “If we were normal and things weren’t so messed up… Would you have gone out with me?”

 

“Do you really wanna know the answer to that?”

 

Momo turns to Mina with a wistful smile. “I guess not.”

 

“I’m sorry—”

 

“I told you to stop that. It isn’t your fault. Now go. Go get your girl.”

 

Mina presses a soft kiss on Momo’s cheek before she leaves.

 

Back at the office, two people are still at the Applications Team cave—Dahyun and Sana, who are just starting a heated make-out session. Sana decides to take it one step further by going for Dahyun’s neck—but Dahyun stops her, grabbing her face and pulling her back up to eye level.

 

“What’s gotten into you?” Dahyun asks Sana, because part of her can’t believe that this is happening.

 

“What do you mean?” Sana gives Dahyun a peck. “Don’t you want this?” Sana continues kissing Dahyun, her hands snaking underneath Dahyun’s shirt now—

 

“Oh my God Sana stop,” Dahyun grumbles, pushing Sana away. “You just found out that I like you. Me. Your best friend!”

 

“Dahyun, I’ve known for a long time now.”

 

“YOU WHAT?!” Dahyun’s eyes widen in shock. She did not see this coming. Then again, she could never have foreseen Sana kissing her like that, either.

 

“Do you remember Nayeon and Jeongyeon’s housewarming party?”

 

“Nayeon and Jeongyeon’s…”

 

“Five glasses of Mudslide. Two trips to the bathroom. But after that, you said you out, right?”

 

Dahyun nods, her mind traveling back to that night, until she remembers Sana catching her when she was about to trip from the restroom.

 

“Oh no…”

 

“You told me you had feelings for me.”

 

“So all this time you knew? And you didn’t tell me?”

 

“Wha—I didn’t know if you wanted me to know. I mean, you were drunk!” Sana crosses her arms as she huffs in frustration.

 

“So, what, you found out I like you so you made me your new conquest, is that it?”

 

“What? Dahyun, I—”

 

“Sana, are you actually attracted to me? Or do you just like me because I like you?”

 

“Well, I do admit that I couldn’t stop thinking about your confession after that night—”

 

“Oh my God.”

 

“Dahyun, stop. You’re overthinking this.” Sana moves forward to hold Dahyun but the latter swerves to avoid her.

 

“No, Sana, I’m not.” She sighs. “You either truly like me, or you don’t. So until you’re sure… You can’t kiss me.”

 

Momo wanders around for a while in the car before going home. Like she usually does when she’s stressed, she orders two sets of jokbal and a large platter of jjajangmyun to go from her favorite restaurant, as well as a whole bowl of fish cakes, tteokbokki, and some avocados being sold on the street. She also drops by a convenience store for a pint of chocolate ice cream.

 

Now this is true happiness, Momo says to herself, smiling as she carries her goodies back to her and Sana’s apartment. Upon hearing the door open when Momo gets inside, Sana swiftly turns her head towards her and an eyebrow.

 

“So that’s where my car went,” Sana mutters, glaring at Momo, but jokingly.

 

“I’m sorry,” Momo answers sheepishly.

 

“What’s your problem, Momo-chan?” Sana asks, knowing that her best friend buys a ton of food when something’s bothering her.

 

“What’s your problem?” Momo shoots back. “It’s Friday night and you’re not out sleeping with some girl.”

 

Sana keeps shut and looks away; Momo knows she’s struck a chord in her.

 

“No, seriously, Sana,” Momo says, more softly this time, as she approaches the girl. “Tell me what’s wrong.”

 

“I’ll tell you my problem if you tell me yours.”

 

“Let’s say it together.”

 

Sana nods, agreeing to the idea. “1, 2, 3—”

 

“I kissed Mina,” Momo says at the same time Sana mumbles, “I kissed Dahyun.”

 

“You what?! When?!” both of them scream in unison.

 

“Wait, you go first,” Momo tells Sana, opening up the box containing jokbal, and she and Sana start eating as they converse.

 

“So, I found out Dahyun likes me way back and then I kissed her tonight. But she told me I can’t kiss her if I’m not sure about my feelings for her or whatever.” Sana groans.

 

“Oh my God, you two would be so cute! I mean, you already do skinship.”

 

Sana glares at Momo. “You’re not helping.”

 

“Okay, sorry. Dahyun’s right, though. She’s not just some girl you want to around with. She’s your best friend. Even though I’m your real best friend.” Momo playfully nudges Sana.

 

“Come on, Momo, don’t you think I know that?” Sana lets out a sigh. “It’s just that… I’m not sure why I’m suddenly so attracted to her.”

 

Momo only nods in response, not knowing what to say. Although the idea of her and Dahyun does sound good to Momo, Sana needs to figure out her feelings on her own before anyone gets truly hurt.

 

“Okay, so you kissed Mina,” Sana says, sending Momo to the hotseat now. “I thought that’s a good thing? The between you two was so strong I—”

 

“She has a girlfriend,” Momo deadpans.

 

“She whaaaaaaaaat???” Sana drops a piece of tteokbokki on the floor in her surprise. “Oops, sorry.” She picks up the spoiled piece and lays it on the side of the bowl.

 

“Her girlfriend was in a coma, and Mina would always visit her after work. But she’s finally woken up and Mina’s there at the hospital with her now.”

 

“Wow,” Sana sighs. “That’s… That’s a whole can of worms right there, Momo. These foods you brought home are well-deserved.”

 

“Thank you,” says Momo as she slurps on the jjajangmyun.

 

An hour later, Momo and Sana finish off every single dish and now, they’re eating the chocolate ice cream as they watch some sappy flick on TV.

 

“You know, I missed this,” Sana mumbles. “We haven’t hung out that much even though we live under the same roof.”

 

“That’s because you’re always out with a girl,” Momo teases.

 

Sana groans at this. “Why did you have to ruin it? Why?”

 

Momo chuckles when Sana hits her with a pillow. “I love you too, Sana-chan.”

 

The following Momo wakes up early because her body clock has adjusted to her breakfast schedules with Mina. Seeing as there’s no point now, Momo takes the longest shower she’s ever taken to the point that Sana thinks she fell asleep. Momo hitches a ride with Sana and they drive silently to work.

 

Momo stays inside the Testing Room the whole day, trying to avoid Mina. Who knows what she might do when she sees her—she might even break down. She’s not ready to face the girl who broke her heart just yet. She doesn’t talk to her other colleagues, either, simply working on her own until Rosé calls over the team for an announcement.

 

“Hello, everyone,” says Rosé when most of the team is gathered at the center of the Testing Room. “I’m gonna make this quick because I’m not good at goodbyes. It’s been an honor for me to work with you, but we’ve always known this was temporary, and now it’s time for me to take my leave.”

 

Momo hears a bunch of Awww’s and groans and wails around her. She herself is sad to see a good boss leave, and now she wonders if the new-slash-real boss will treat the team the same way Rosé has.

 

“But it is also with great pleasure for me to announce that your real boss, which will start working with you tomorrow, is here visiting us today. Please welcome, Miss Kim Jennie.”

 

The Testing Team gives new boss a round of applause. Behind her, Momo hears Chan whisper, “Wow, she looks hot,” and Nayeon shushing him.

 

Jennie? Momo frowns, recalling a fresh memory.

 

“We didn’t tell anyone except Jihyo because Jennie was afraid it might put a negative image around us. She wanted to be a team leader and I was immediately put in the Design Team…” Momo could hear Mina in her head, remembering the story she told her while they were in Sana’s car.

 

Great, Momo thinks, mentally slapping herself. Just great.

 

Her new boss is Mina’s girlfriend.