S03E01: Moments

What Is Love?

Previously on What Is Love…

 

“Who’s Jennie?”

“My girlfriend.”

 

“…It is also with great pleasure for me to announce that your real boss, which will start working with you tomorrow, is here visiting us today. Please welcome, Miss Kim Jennie.”

 

“Dahyun, stop. You’re overthinking this.”

“No, Sana, I’m not. You either truly like me, or you don’t. So until you’re sure… You can’t kiss me.”

 

“Moguri?”

“Seulgi?”

“I’ll guess I’ll see you around? We should hang out sometime; you still have my number, right?”

 

Joy surprises Momo by pulling her away from the crowd of sweaty, dancing people to push her up against the wall, leaning into her—

“I can’t do this,” Momo mumbles, looking away from the girl in front of her.

 

“Sana?”

“Hi.”

“W-What are you doing here?”

Sana looks at Dahyun with an intense gaze, holding Dahyun to the ground. Dahyun told Sana to make a choice, so here she is. And she chooses to connect her lips to Dahyun’s, just like the first time.

 

“You’ve been promoted to the Design Team, effective immediately.”

“Miss Jennie I’m sorry I promise—Wait. What?”

“Yes, Joy mentioned something about seeing potential and whatever…”

 

“Sana, come out here! Chaeyoung wants a love life!”

“Speed dating?” Sana reads the website title. “You’re really trying this?”

“Yeah,” Chaeyoung answers. “Why not?”

 

“Hey, why don’t we date each other? We take each other on what we think is a good date. And then we tell each other the good and bad points of the date so we can improve them. So the next time we go on a date with someone for real…”

“Hmm, I guess I could do that. But Chaeyoung, can I ask a favour?”

“Hm?”

“I don’t want the office finding about this. This has to be between you and me only.”

 

“Unbelievable!”

“No, what’s unbelievable is that you didn’t tell me about Momo in the first place!”

“There was nothing to tell! Don’t you trust me?”

“I don’t trust Momo.”

 

“Jennie, we talked about this. Nothing is going on between me and Momo. What are you so worked up about?”

“I told you, I don’t trust her, okay?”

“Enough! If you really can’t trust me with Momo, or with anyone for that matter, then… then there’s no point in continuing this relationship.”

“No. I don’t.”

“Then I guess… this is goodbye.”

“Goodbye, Mina.”

 

Jeongyeon gets wasted from last night’s drinking session with the rest of the Design Team. Wanting to leave early Mina calls for a chauffeur, because all she wants right now is to go home and sleep in her beloved bed, maybe play some games, and forget the fact that she and Jennie had just broken up.

 

Tzuyu is still asleep so Mina leaves a note saying goodbye and thanking the girl. She was grateful that Tzuyu was there, even if she didn’t tell her what had happened. Mina couldn’t even remember when she fell asleep; all she could remember was a seemingly unending stream of tears coming from her eyes.

 

Mina decides whether or not she should say goodbye to the others. Jeongyeon is most probably still asleep, so she’s out of the question, but Irene and Momo didn’t seem like they got catastrophically drunk. In the end, though, Mina decides against it; Tzuyu will tell them, anyway.

 

She’s about to go to the rest house exit when she hears a door open, and sees Momo coming out wearing a fresh set of clothes and her backpack. Momo sees her as well, slowly walking towards the girl, careful not to make noise.

 

“You’re up early,” says Momo. “Wait, I forgot you’re used to that.”

 

Mina chuckles softly. “Are you going home?” She points to Momo’s backpack.

 

“Oh, yeah. I promise Sana I’d go grocery shopping with her today. By any chance, do you know where I can take a bus around here?”

 

“You can ride with me, I’m actually going home, too.”

 

“No, I don’t want to be a bother—”

 

“Momo, it’s okay.” Mina offers her a smile. “I don’t mind.”

 

“Alright, then. Thanks, Mina.”

 

“I’m just waiting for the driver but he’ll be here in a few minutes.”

 

True to Mina’s word, the chauffeur does arrive at the rest house not ten minutes after that. It was mostly silence between the two of them as they waited, and Mina simply asked Momo where she lives, but the conversation didn’t continue as it was pretty early and both of them weren’t in the mood. Momo falls asleep at the back of the car but wakes up a few minutes before she gets dropped off at her building. Momo reaches inside her backpack for the area where she usually keeps her keys, only to find them completely empty.

 

“Oh, ,” she can’t help but mutter.

 

Mina from the front of the car to face Momo. “What’s wrong?”

 

“I forgot my keys.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yeah, I think so,” Momo replies, her hands roaming around the insides of her bag now. “No worries, I’ll just call Sana.” Momo opens the door on her side.

 

“I’ll wait until you get in your apartment before we leave,” Mina tells her.

 

“Okay,” says Momo, leaving her bag inside the car but going out to make a call. The phone only beeps twice before Sana answers, and Momo doesn’t wait for a hello before she starts talking.

 

“Hey Sana, I’m outside our apartment building. Could you come down and let me in—”

 

“Yes,” she hears Sana say before she can even finish her sentence. There’s a certain airiness in Sana’s voice that Momo notices but chooses to ignore.

 

“Thank you, and could you make it quick? Because Mina is—”

 

“Yes, Dahyun! God yes!” Momo hears Sana scream, followed by a moan.

 

“OH WHAT THE F—” Momo moves her head away from her phone when she realizes what she had just stumbled upon. Beside her she hears Mina opening her window.

 

“Hey, everything alright in there?” she asks Momo.

 

Feeling playful, Momo puts her phone in Mina’s ear, still not hanging up on Sana.

 

Mina lets out a soft scream before pushing Momo’s phone away and screaming, “Momo-ya!!”

 

“I’m sorry,” says Momo, chuckling, “I just wanted someone to share in my misery.” She looks at her phone to hang up on Sana.

 

“So I’m guessing grocery shopping is cancelled?” Mina snickers.

 

“Yeah. Dammit, now I have to find a place to stay until they finish their thing.” Momo groans. “That’s gonna take forever.”

 

“You can stay at my place,” Mina offers.

 

“A-Are you sure?”

 

“Yeah, now hop in,” Mina says before she could change her mind. She doesn’t know what’s gotten into her, because not even Jennie has entered her house before, and now she’s taking Momo there. She rationalizes by telling herself that Jihyo’s been there, and Jihyo’s a friend, and now Momo is, too.

 

Mina and Momo finally arrive at Mina’s house—only it isn’t more of a house as it is a mansion, Momo realizes. It’s twice as big as Jeongyeon’s rest house and has two floors—and a separate one that looks like a gym. When Momo was just getting to know Mina she had wondered how rich the girl actually was, and now she’s getting closer to the answer.

 

The chauffeur drops them off at the front door where two guards stand at the side. And just inside by the door is a butler holding a tray that contains two glasses of water.

 

“Good morning, Miss Myoui,” the butler greets his boss.

 

“Morning, Jinyoung,” Mina replies, smiling at him as she takes the glasses.

 

“Is there anything you need, Miss Myoui?”

 

“No thank you. My guest and I will go upstairs on our own. I’ll call you later if I need anything.”

 

“Okay, Miss Myoui,” the butler says, bowing before he walks away.

 

“Here,” Mina turns to Momo, offering her a glass. They start walking towards the stairs at the center of the mansion.

 

“Oh, I don’t drink water,” Momo tells Mina.

 

“You don’t drink water?” the other girl asks incredulously. “But you can’t live without water, Momo.”

 

“I drink juice which has water in it.”

 

“That’s not the same.”

 

“I’m still alive now, aren’t I?”

 

“You are one stubborn kid, aren’t you?” Mina rolls her eyes. When they reach the second floor they pass by a series of rooms, each of them having a different ‘theme.’

 

There’s a game room (“You have an Xbox, PS4, VR, and a gaming PC?” “Yeah. Playing the game in different platforms has a unique feeling and strategy for it.”)—a computer room (“Don’t tell anyone, but I have a cracked version of our software in the office installed in my desktop.” “Mina, that’s a crime!” “If you tell anyone, I am going to hack your work PC. You know I can do it.”)—a walk-in closet (“How many clothes do you have in there?” “Oh, just my pajamas and casual clothes are in there. The rest are at the other wing.” “You have another walk-in closet?!”)—and of course, Mina’s bedroom. Next to it is the guestroom for Momo.

 

“You can put your bag there,” Mina points to the room beside hers. “You can sleep if you want, or play at the game room. If there’s a game you wanna try I can show you, maybe we can play together.”

 

“Oh please.” Momo scoffs. “Knowing you, you’d probably get super competitive and beat me every single time.”

 

“Hey!” Mina pushes Momo’s shoulder.

 

“I’m kidding, I’m kidding. I just really want to sleep right now.”

 

“Okay then.”

 

“But maybe later, if I can’t get Sana’s screams and Dahyun’s moans out of my head.”

 

Speaking of Sana and Dahyun, the former drives the latter back home to her and Chaeyoung’s apartment. Sana tries calling Momo, but her roommate doesn’t answer so she figures that Momo’s gonna come home later, not seeing the call log indicating that she actually answered a call from Momo. So, her girlfriend Dahyun suggests that she hang out with her and Chaeyoung for the day.

 

“Wanna have ramen?” Dahyun asks when she and Sana enter the apartment.

 

Chaeyoung groans in frustration. “You guys, I’m right here! You can ramen and chill later.”

 

“No,” Dahyun retorts, chuckling. “I’m talking about actual ramen. I have a lot in the cupboard over there. Honey, you want some?”

 

“Okay, honey,” Sana replies, sitting beside Chaeyoung on the couch in the living room.

 

“How about you, Chaeyoung?” Dahyun calls out from the kitchen.

 

“No thanks,” Chaeyoung answers, facing her. Then she turns back to the television and sees Sana staring at her. “What?”

 

“You didn’t tease me and Dahyunnie for calling each other honey. What, no ‘ew’ or anything?”

 

“No. Not this time.”

 

Sana gasps when she hears the girl’s reply. “Dahyun, come here! Somebody abducted our Chaeyoung! This isn’t her!”

 

“What are you talking about?” Dahyun asks, making her way towards the couch and sitting next to her girlfriend.

 

“She’s not disgusted by us anymore!”

 

Dahyun also gasps in shock—doing it in a much more dramatic fashion than Sana did. “Oh! I think I know why. Chaeyoung-ah,” Dahyun leans closer, next to Sana, “how’d speed dating go?”

 

“Oh, you’re right!” Sana exclaims, almost jumping in her seat.

 

“Meh,” Chaeyoung tries to play it cool. “I just realized that I wasn’t ready yet. Maybe I’ll try again next time.”

 

This leaves the couple confused as Chaeyoung stands up to go to her room.

 

“I’m gonna take a walk,” she tells them. “I might come home late. Don’t wait up for dinner.”

 

The truth is that Chaeyoung and Tzuyu arranged to meet today for their first ‘date,’ which will be courtesy of Chaeyoung. (Tzuyu’s date is set for next week.) But she doesn’t want to tell Dahyun and Sana anything yet because first, she and Tzuyu agreed on keeping their arrangement; and second, Chaeyoung knows that if she asks the couple for help, they’ll get so intense about it and bombard her with questions instead. And she doesn’t want to deal with that right now; instead, she wants to be on her best state of mind when she meets up with Tzuyu.

 

So Chaeyoung and Tzuyu meet near Tzuyu’s apartment, Tzuyu sending her the address prior, Chaeyoung making a deal with a cab driver to be their car for the day.

 

“This means that we’re going not just to one place,” Tzuyu surmises.

 

“Correct,” Chaeyoung confirms, but not revealing more.

 

“And where is the first stop?”

 

“You’ll see.”

 

Chaeyoung takes Tzuyu to a café in Samcheong-dong—but it isn’t just a café, because customers can request for a canvass and they’re able to paint while they spend their time there.

 

“Give me a subject for my masterpiece,” Chaeyoung tells Tzuyu.

 

“A dog!” Tzuyu answers immediately.

 

Chaeyoung works on the painting while Tzuyu watches her, amused, even as they make small talk from time to time.

 

“So, you like dogs, huh?” Chaeyoung asks her.

 

“Yeah, I have one at home. His name is Gucci, you wanna see him?” Without really waiting for an answer, Tzuyu opens her phone to show her lock screen, which is a picture of her holding her Chihuahua.

 

“Cute,” says Chaeyoung, not just referring to the canine in the picture. “By home, you mean…”

 

“Oh, back in Taiwan. I didn’t want to bring him here when I migrated so he stays there with my mom.”

 

About two hours later Chaeyoung finishes her painting, finally showing it to Tzuyu.

 

“This looks like Gucci!”

 

“It’s yours.”

 

“What, really?”

 

“Yeah.” Chaeyoung gives Tzuyu a smile. “So you won’t miss him too much.”

 

Momo wakes up to the smell of a traditional American breakfast—complete with bacon, poached eggs, bread with an assorted choice of jam, pancakes also with assorted choice of syrup—making Momo think that she’s in a hotel and not in Mina’s house (er, mansion).

 

“Did you cook this?” Momo asks Mina when she’s fully conscious. Jinyoung has arranged a table for them to eat at inside the guestroom.

 

“Jae did most of the work but I helped,” says Mina.

 

“Jae?”

 

“My chef.”

 

“You have a chef… And Jinyoung, he’s your butler, right?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“And you have a driver.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“And this is your house?”

 

“Just say it, Momo,” Mina mutters, her tone playful, narrowing her eyes at the other girl.

 

“I’m sorry, I’ve always just wondered how rich you were, and now I think I’m finally getting the answer.”

 

“Good for you, then.”

 

“Do your parents live here, too?”

 

“They have a room downstairs, and my brother has a room, too. But Kai is in Japan because his career is there and my parents… Well, they’re based in another country.”

 

“For work?”

 

Mina nods.

 

“How often do your parents come home?”

 

“Rarely, actually. Only when they need to supervise some of the managers and team leaders, or when there’s a company conference here in Korea.”

 

“Company conference? What company?”

 

Mina looks at Momo shyly before answering, “Tech Solutions.”

 

“Wait, what?” Momo widens her eyes, even dropping her food in shock. “Your parents are the CEOs of our company?”

 

“No… They’re just vice presidents.”

 

“Just vice presidents—Mina! Man, I can’t believe you own the company!”

 

“My parents don’t own the company!” Mina looks away. “Okay, maybe part of it, yes, but not all of it.”

 

“How come no one at work mentioned this to me?” Momo asks in retrospect, then turns to Mina. “So are you gonna be like… their heir or something?”

 

“I didn’t want anyone to know,” Mina tells her. “And I wanna keep on being an engineer and not someone who just bosses people around. I just wanted to make a name for myself so I try not to tell anyone about it. So keep quiet, okay? Only you and Jihyo know the truth.”

 

“Me and Jihyo?” Momo blinks. “What about Jennie?”

 

Mina tries her best not to flinch at the mention of her ex’s name. The breakup still stings a little, but Mina being herself, she doesn’t want Momo to find out about it yet. Luckily for her Momo’s too distracted by the food again that she doesn’t notice Mina flinch and then regain composure.

 

“Jennie doesn’t know,” Mina replies with a nonchalant shrug. “I guess we’ve just never talked about it.”

 

Momo nods in response. “I just realized that we’re eating breakfast but it’s already lunch time.” She chuckles, eating a mouthful of pancake. “This is really good, though.”

 

“I’ll be sure to tell Jae.”

 

Chaeyoung then takes Tzuyu to a music store that sells vinyl records from all over the world, even explaining to Tzuyu how they used to listen to albums back then.

 

“How the hell do you even find these places?” Tzuyu asks her.

 

“I just roam around a lot.”

 

Then they spend an hour in a street lined up with stalls that sells a variety of things, ranging from fruits to flowers to jewelry and clothes and even stuffed toys. At the end of their adventure, Chaeyoung asks the cab to take Tzuyu home first. Chaeyoung now sits in the back seat with Tzuyu.

 

“So, what do you think?” Chaeyoung asks for feedback on their date.

 

“It was fun,” Tzuyu replies, “and adventurous. I liked it.”

 

“Really? No negative stuff or whatever?”

 

“No, it was never boring at all!” Tzuyu’s voice then turns soft. “And uh, thanks for painting Gucci, by the way. I didn’t know you were so artistic. That’s, um, a major turn on, to be honest.”

 

“Oh, thank you,” Chaeyoung replies, trying not to blush. “Seriously, though, was the date alright?”

 

“It was perfect.”

 

When Momo and Mina finish their meal the former starts getting ready to leave. She figures there’s still time for her and Sana to buy groceries in the evening.

 

“Thanks for the food, Mina,” Momo says as they walk down the grand staircase. “I have to admit, I really missed your cooking. Oh, and the barbecue last night was good, too.”

 

“It’s no problem,” Mina replies with a smile. “That gives me an idea, actually. I might bring food for the whole the team soon.”

 

“Mina, that’s a great idea!”

 

Mina chuckles at Momo’s excitement; food really makes the girl happy. They make their way over to the entrance when Mina opens the door, and they see a wobbling Jeongyeon on Mina’s doorstep.

 

“Jeongyeon?” says Mina. “What are you doing here? And how did you know where I live?”

 

“I looked up the team database and I guess your address is the first thing I saw,” Jeongyeon replies but some of her words are slurred. Momo and Mina look at each other with concern in their eyes. Their team leader then leans forward, but Momo catches her and leads her inside, Mina closing the door.

 

“There’s a couch right over there,” Mina tells Momo, following them closely behind. “Jeongyeon, are you still drunk from last night?”

 

“Of course not!” Jeongyeon exclaims, moving her shoulders and making it more difficult for Momo to carry her. “No, I went to a bar and then got here.”

 

“What happened?” Momo asks as she lays Jeongyeon on the couch.

 

“Nayeon, she… She kicked me out of the house.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: This will most probably be the last season, so there are 4-5 episodes to go before the end... >:D