S01E05: Confessions

What Is Love?

Momo comes into work early, a usual thing for her to do now. What’s unusual is for her to arrive earlier than Mina—but not for long though, because soon the elevator dings and Momo sees Mina step out from it.

 

“Where’s the lunch box?” Momo asks, narrowing her eyes. “Did you forget you were making breakfast?”

 

“Me? Forget anything?” Mina scoffs. “Follow me.”

 

Momo doesn’t question it, simply walking behind Mina. They go down one flight of stairs, cross the bridge to the next building—Momo hasn’t been here before—and ride up the elevator. When the door opens they’re at a rooftop, and Momo immediately sees a picnic basket and a long mat.

 

“Whoa,” Momo sighs. Mina must have arranged this; that’s why she was late. “This is… How did you even find this?”

 

 “I discovered it a long time ago, when I was still new here,” Mina explains, sitting down and offering a spot beside her for Momo.

 

“You didn’t have to do this, you know. We could’ve just eaten at our spot.” Momo gulps at the mention of ‘their spot’—she’d been thinking about it for weeks now, but she never mentioned it to Mina. Because, let’s face it, just the thought of ‘us’ as ‘her and Mina’ scared her.

 

“I know, but I didn’t want the whole floor smelling like Kobe for days.”

 

“Kobe?”

 

Mina opens the basket, revealing two bowls of tamago kake gohan (their staple food now) and a whole platter of beef. She takes these out and two bottles of water in front of her and Momo.

 

“Is this Kobe beef?” Momo asks, her pitch getting higher with every word from excitement.

 

Mina nods in response, chuckling at Momo. “Fresh from Japan,” she tells her.

 

“How did you even… Doesn’t Kobe beef cost, well, a lot?”

 

“Here, have a bite,” Mina says as she cuts up a piece, ignoring Momo’s question as she had done so before. “I woke up really early to grill it.”

 

Momo opens and Mina feeds her the beef, finally closing Momo’s mouth using her other hand, lingering there for a bit. Mina watches Momo as she chews on the meat before humming in delight.

 

“This is so good!” Momo swallows the piece. “I didn’t know you were such a grilling expert. Then again, there are a lot of things I don’t know about you.”

 

“Hey, you know more about me than most people in this company.”

 

“Which is still not a lot, I presume?”

 

“Well… Yeah,” Mina answers with a giggle. Momo swears her heart stops right there. “You should try it with the rice,” Mina adds, pointing to the bowl.

 

When Momo picks it up, she notices something with the egg. “This doesn’t smell as much.”

 

“Oh, the eggs are fresh from Japan, too.”

 

Earlier this morning, she’d been hyping herself up and practicing different ways to ask Mina out. If Momo’s being honest, this already feels like an unofficial date, but then Mina proceeds to take her to a rooftop picnic with imported beef and eggs from Japan overnight and now Momo isn’t sure if she’s… enough for Mina.

 

“Momo? You okay in there?” Mina asks with a frown on her face.

 

“What? Oh, I’m fine,” Momo replies, shaking her head and put on a smile. “Let’s eat up this beautiful meal you cooked.”

 

Hours later Momo’s in the Testing Room, trying to finish the code for her automation program, but something’s bothering her. She approaches Nayeon who’s watching the testing line for any errors on her chip.

 

“Hey Nayeon, can I ask you something?”

 

“Sure, what’s up?”

 

Just then, another Japanese girl walks into the room running towards Nayeon.

 

“Nayeon, you have to help me,” says Sana.

 

A confused and surprised Nayeon looks back and forth between Momo and Sana. Then, she looks at Momo. “Sorry, Momo, but Sana looks like she needs more help than you do right now.”

 

“But—”

 

Nayeon puts her finger up, cutting Momo off. “No buts. You can come back to me later, or you can talk to Jihyo over there. Your problem is Mina-related, am I right?”

 

“Well…”

 

“Maybe she can help you. Now shoo,” Nayeon mutters, waving her hand off to Momo. She lets out a sigh before turning to Sana. “It’s hard being wise. Now, what’s your problem?”

 

“Okay.” Sana takes a deep breath. “What do you do when you can’t stop thinking about someone?”

 

“What do I do or what do you do? The answer to the second question is you sleep with her.”

 

“But I can’t.”

 

“Why not? Does she have a girlfriend?” Nayeon gasps. “Don’t tell me you’re in love with me.”

 

Sana rolls her eyes. “First of all: ew, no. Second of all: I can’t sleep with her because… I don’t like her that way.”

 

“What?” Nayeon looks confused now. “Then why can’t you stop thinking about her?”

 

“Because she told me she liked me, but now she forgot about it.”

 

“Then it shouldn’t be awkward, should it?”

 

“Yes but…” Sana sighs in exasperation. “I don’t know. I really don’t know, Nayeon. Besides, I’m not sure why but it feels like she’s been ignoring me lately.”

 

“And you’re telling me you don’t have any feelings for this girl.”

 

“I don’t… I don’t know. I don’t even know where these feelings are coming from. Nayeon, you have to help me!”

 

“Okay, calm down, crazy woman. The first thing you need to do is ask her if she is indeed ignoring you. You could just be imagining things, you know, considering the state you’re in right now.” Nayeon teases Sana, but deep inside she’s worried for her. She’s never seen the Casanova quite disheveled like this.

 

“What do I do if she says yes?”

 

“Ask her why. Sana, hey.” Nayeon grips the girl by the shoulder. “You can do this. You weren’t dubbed Sanake for nothing. It’s just a girl.”

 

Sana gulps, nodding as she walks away from Nayeon to go back to her desk. She wishes Nayeon were right. But she knows, that Kim Dahyun isn’t just a girl.

 

On Momo’s side of things, she follows Nayeon’s advice as well and turn to Jihyo. Luckily for her Jihyo isn’t too busy, checking the board for the list of things to do for the next day.

 

“Hey Jihyo, uh… Can I ask you something? About Mina?”

 

Jihyo turns to Momo at the sound of Mina’s name. “What about Mina?”

 

“Well, uh… Is Mina, like, filthy rich or something? Because I knew she studied at MIT and that’s pretty telling but I realize she could afford more than that or something.”

 

“Why?” Jihyo asks, suspicion obvious in her tone, eyes narrowed at Momo. “Do you just want to take advantage of her or something? Because if you do…”

 

“No, no!” Momo waves her hand furiously. “I just—Well, you see—I wanted to-to ask her out on a date but I’m not sure if I should anymore.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“Well, Mina is a princess, and I’m just… I’m Momo.”

 

Jihyo chuckles at that. “You’re not just Momo. You’re the girl Mina cooked breakfast for.”

 

Momo blinks her eyes. “How did you—”

 

“I didn’t.” Jihyo gives her a sly smile. “Last night I was with her and she was ordering Kobe beef and eggs from Japan. I just assumed it, and you confirmed it.”

 

“Oh. You’re good. For a second there I thought you were God or something.”

 

“Look, Momo. I’m not so sure about what Mina feels about you, and I’m one of her close friends. But if you’re asking me, I think you’re good for her. You seem to be breaking the walls she’s put up over time.”

 

This puts a burst of energy into Momo. “Thanks, Jihyo. That means a lot.”

 

“Just don’t hurt her, okay?”

 

Momo smiles at Jihyo. “I won’t.”

 

Momo passes by the Applications Team cave, where Sana has already gone back from her talk with Nayeon.

 

“You okay there?” she asks her best friend.

 

“I’m not sure yet,” Sana answers honestly. “And you?”

 

“We’ll see,” Momo replies. “Hey, do you have any ideas on how to ask a girl out?”

 

“Oh, you’re gonna confess to someone?” Sana asks excitedly, but Momo senses the sarcasm in her voice. “Why don’t you go and ask Dahyun over there? I think she’ll be able to help you.” Sana turns her back on Momo and proceeds with her work.

 

Not wanting to anger Sana even more, Momo simply walks away and goes over to Dahyun and Chaeyoung.

 

“Hey, lover girl,” Chaeyoung greets Momo with a smirk on her face.

 

“Oh good, I’m glad that’s catching on,” says Momo. “Anyway, Dahyun, are you and Sana okay?”

 

“What?” Dahyun turns her head sharply from her screen to Momo. “What makes you think we’re not okay?”

 

“Well, Sana over there told me…” Momo is unable to finish her sentence because she sees Mina, who’s already done for the day, making her way to the elevator. “Mina, wait!”

 

“What was Momo unnie talking about?” Dahyun asks Chaeyoung. “Why is she asking if Sana and I are okay?”

 

“Well, it’s probably because you’ve been avoiding her for weeks now. Come on, Dahyun. She’s your friend. She deserves to know.”

 

“You mean she deserves to know that I have these feelings for her that I know she will never return?” Dahyun scoffs. “No thanks.”

 

Chaeyoung shakes her head at her roommate. “You are so stubborn. I’m so glad I’m not attached to anyone.”

 

“Whatever.” Dahyun rolls her eyes. “I think it’s better this way. See? She’s not even making an effort to talk to me. If she thinks I’m mad, she should ask me.”

 

“Dahyun, do you even remember how you get when you’re angry? Don’t make me remind you what happened when Sana tried to wake you up when you had three hours of sleep. It was a dark time not just for you but for me, too!”

 

“Yeah, well, she should still try asking me if I really am a friend to her. If she doesn’t, well, at least it’s helping me move on.”

 

Chaeyoung lets out a defeated sigh. “There’s no changing your mind, then. Anyway, are you gonna go with the guys to the pub later?”

 

“I don’t think so, actually. I still have to finish this report or else Chungha is gonna kill me on Monday.”

 

Meanwhile, Momo catches up to Mina, ready to execute what she’d been planning to do last night.

 

“Hey, Momo,” Mina says, still making her way towards the elevator.

 

“I’m surprised you didn’t clock out early,” is the first thing that Momo blurts out. They’re inside the elevator now; Mina’s pressed the button to the basement parking.

 

“I, uh… I got distracted,” Mina answers. “You’re done for today, too?”

 

“Umm, yeah, kind of… Well, no.”

 

Mina her head to the side as the elevator door opens. Momo pulls Mina outside before the elevator goes back up again.

 

“There’s something I want to ask you.” Momo swallows hard before she can choke. She opens to say something, but her breath betrays her.

 

“Momo? You’re spacing out again.” Mina giggles.

 

And Momo can’t take it anymore.

 

She leans forward, her lips touching Mina’s, her hand caressing Mina by her chin. They’re quite soft, Mina’s lips that is, and Momo breathes in Mina’s intoxicating jasmine scent again before she lets go.

 

When Momo opens her eyes she sees Mina just opening hers. She’s an angel, Momo thinks to herself. Myoui Mina is an angel, and now Momo has the urge to kiss her again.

 

And she’s about to, but a loud ringtone blasts its way out of Mina’s phone that she has to pick it up and answer it.

 

“Hello?” Mina speaks, glancing at Momo for a second but then looking away. Momo watches Mina’s expression from indifference into utter shock while she listens to the other end of the line.

 

“Okay, I’m on my way. Thank you,” Mina says with a sense of urgency. “Tell Jennie I’ll be there.” Then, Mina turns to Momo with a look of regret on her face. “I’m sorry Momo, I have to go.”

 

“Who’s Jennie?” Momo asks, even though she’s afraid to know the answer.

 

Mina looks at Momo in the eyes. “My girlfriend.”

 

An hour and a half later, the two people left in the Applications Team cave are Dahyun and Sana. Just like she told Chaeyoung earlier, Dahyun’s finishing her report, and Sana—well, Sana only stayed because she overheard Chan and the others asking Dahyun if she’s coming to the pub. Remembering Nayeon’s advice earlier, she wanted to get the chance to talk to Dahyun alone.

 

When Dahyun sends her report to Chungha she immediately turns off the monitor and packs up, not even saying goodbye to Sana.

 

“So you are ignoring me,” Sana says with a cold tone that sends shivers down Dahyun’s spine, making her stop in her tracks. When Dahyun turns around she sees Sana walking towards her.

 

“I’m not ignoring you, Sana.”

 

“Stop doing that.” She’s face to face with Dahyun now.

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“I can see through your lies, Dahyun. I’m your best friend.” Sana lets out a harsh laugh. “At least, I thought I was.”

 

Dahyun shakes her head and scoffs. “Just go some girl at the pub, Sana.” She turns to leave the girl in front of her, but Sana is quick to grab her hand.

 

“We’re not done—”

 

Dahyun yanks her hand away from Sana’s and loses it. “Do you have any idea what it feels to be there for someone and have them ignore you completely? Just watching her stick her tongue down the throat of girl after girl after girl, while you just stand there as she calls you her best friend and parades every single one of her conquests in front of you. Do you have any idea, Sana? No, you don’t! So don’t tell me we’re not done, because we are. I am so, so done with you.”

 

Sana holds Dahyun’s gaze. She wants to say something, anything. Others say she’s a sweet a talker, but right now no words are coming out of her lips—so she decides to capture Dahyun’s soft-looking lips instead.

 

Sana pushes Dahyun against the wall behind her, kissing her wildly. She puts Dahyun’s arms over her own shoulders while she fixes her grip on Dahyun’s waist. She’s done this so many times before, yet it feels like it’s her first time. When she runs out of air, she proceeds to dive on Dahyun’s neck.

 

And it’s then that Sana realizes that she’s been waiting for this for a long time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: And that concludes season 1! ;)