The Tourist

Stranded - The Sin

Ara walked out of the room, heading towards the toilet at the end of the hallway. Her legs gave up as soon as she shut the toilet’s door behind her. She tried to have a faith on her friends but her mind could not stop thinking of “what if”. Most of the club members were freshmen. Yongguk, Himchan and Chorong were the only final year seniors that joined the membership training. Daehyun, Youngjae, Jaebum, Clairre and Ara were in the 3rd year. Jongup and Hayoung were the 2nd year students while Junhong, Dana and Eunbyul were the freshmen. Both Himchan and Chorong were on the other group alongside with Youngjae, Jaebum, Clairre, Junhong and Hayoung.


3 hours ago, they climbed up the hill. They divided into two groups of six and seven. Yongguk leaded the six group members and, Himchan and Chorong leaded the latter group. At first they met up on the top but when they climbed down the two groups were separated. On their way down, the sky started become gloomy and the strong wind blew harshly. However after an hour waiting for the other group at the downhill, they decided to go back to their guesthouse since the rain also beginned to pour down and lightning struck the tall trees on the hills. But since then they didn’t get any news from them. They tried to contact them but the coverage was so poor and only the attic had the best coverage. 


Ara inhaled deeply, deleting all the bad thoughts lingering in her head. She reached out her phone from her cardigan’s pocket and unlocking it. Again, she checked her kakao talk if any of the lost group members had contacted her. None. She sighed again. With the help of the torchlight from her phone, she walked to the sink. She washed her face with the cold water running down from the tap. She stared her reflection on the mirror in front of her for a moment before stepped out of the restroom. 


“Ah!! you scared me!!”, Ara exclaimed as she almost bumped onto someone. An unfamiliar face was an inch away from her face. She glared at the sturdy man standing in front of her for a while before calming herself. He was holding a candle lamp.


“You are the student that staying for the MT right? Did something happen? You guys seem restless since you guys get back from the hill??”, the man asked, showing his concern face at her. 


Silence.


“—I’m sorry if I interfere too much. By the way, I’m also staying here… at the end of the hallway. I saw your two guy friends running frantically to the attic just now”, he added.


Ara was contemplating on telling him the tragedy when Yongguk appeared out of nowhere. The club leader told the man everything that happened to their friends and asked him to help searched for them when the lightning and rain stopped. 


"Sunbae..”, Ara gestured at Yongguk, excusing herself. She then walked down the hallway and entered the hall. Dana and Eunbyul were already fell asleep. “They must be so shock and exhausted”, she mumbled. Those two freshmen were crying so hard. They just calmed down an hour ago after Ara convinced them nothing bad going to happen to other members. None of them filled up their stomach since they got here. Daehyun and Jongup didn’t even get to rest. They rushed to the attic to call the police as soon as they arrived from the hill. 


She spotted Daehyun lying down on the couch, resting his right hand on his forehead. HOLD. He tattooed his wrist several years back. The old memories flooding her mind for a while. “He must be asleep too”. She looked away then made an eye contact with Jongup was sitting at a corner. Ara curled a small smile. 


"Jongup-ah, you wanna eat something? I want to get some from the fridge”.


He looked dispirit. He made a half smile.


“It’s okay. I’m not really hungry--”.


“Ohhh okay then”


Grrrrr. His stomach grumbled breaking the silence of the room. He hissed, holding his stomach.


"Up-ah--“, Ara sighed. “ --You should eat if you are hungry”.


Jongup bowed “It’s just that….. I don’t feel good eating while they…. Sorry”


“Forget it. I’ll boil water. Let’s have cup noodles--”, Ara said again.


“--3 cups.. I want one too”, Daehyun butted in. He sat up, looking at his friends.


“I thought you were sleepin—“


“4 cups, I would like one too.. The lightnings have stop, let’s search for them after we eat. And I ask some people to help us”, Yongguk cut Ara’s words. He ended his words with a warm smile.


“Ohh… okay then.. It’s better to get other’s help. We don’t even know this island well”, Ara said before pacing out of the room.