Context Clues

The Wrong Youngjae

Yoo Youngjae sipped his coffee as he mentally assessed the situation. He had definitely switched bodies with someone in Got7. That much was obvious. It was also reasonable to assume that no one in Got7 knew about this or noticed anything out of the ordinary. Except the dog. It had started growling at him immediately upon waking up, but Mark had managed to calm it down long enough to trap it in his room.

 

That said, the question of which Got7 member he'd switched with was a little more complicated. It wasn't Bambam, Jinyoung, Mark, or Jaebum--all of them had wandered into the kitchen at some point over the course of the morning. It also wasn't the tall one who called him hyung (whom he would be referring to as Zelo 2.0 for the time being). Which left him and the one currently in the shower. Unfortunately, those three had all joined JYP after he'd left and he hadn't exactly made a point of learning their names or faces, so he was pretty sure learning Shower Guy’s identity wouldn't be as helpful as staring at his face in the mirror and scrolling through Got7’s member profiles online. Which, admittedly, would be greatly facilitated by Shower Guy getting out of the shower.

 

His stomach rumbled, snapping him out of his thoughts. Okay. Food first, then he’d figure this out. He reached for the large bowl of fruit salad that the rest of the group had been eating from and spooned some out onto a plate. It smelled a little weird, but Youngjae shrugged it off and popped a piece of fruit into his mouth.

 

“Hyung, that has cantaloupe in it!”

 

Youngjae looked up at Zelo 2.0. He shifted the fruit in his mouth. “So?”

 

“Aren’t you allergic to cantaloupe?”

 

Youngjae blinked and spit the food back out onto his plate. “Yes?” He genuinely didn’t know, but better safe than sorry.

 

The room went deathly still, and Youngjae quickly became aware of everyone’s eyes on him. He smiled nervously.

 

“I’ll go find the EpiPen,” Jinyoung announced before half sprinting into one of the bedrooms. Mark followed him part of the way, but stopped at the bathroom, where he started pounding on the door and shouting something in English. Youngjae couldn’t focus on what he was saying, though, because his chair was abruptly rotated ninety degrees and he found himself facing a very worried-looking Jaebum.

 

“Did you swallow any?” Jaebum asked.

 

“Um…I don’t think...” Youngjae started, but was interrupted when Zelo 2.0 appeared between them with four bottles of water. He handed one to Youngjae and deposited the other three on the table. Youngjae stared blankly at the one in his hand.

 

“Drink it.” Jaebum instructed.

 

Youngjae blinked at him. “What?”

 

“Drink it.” Jaebum repeated. “All of it. I want it gone.”

 

“Um...don’t you think this is a bit-”

 

“Damn it, Youngjae, we need to flush your system. Now drink the damn water.”

 

“Yes, sir.” Youngjae decided to just go along with everyone until they had calmed down. He was most of the way through the first bottle when Mark reappeared and slammed a bottle of Benadryl down on the table.

 

“How many can he take at once?” Jaebum asked, twisting the cap off.

 

“Um...I think two,” Mark replied. Jaebum shook two pills out onto his hand and held them out to Youngjae, who swallowed them with the remaining water. He then dutifully picked up a second bottle and started opening it.

 

“So Youngjae ate some of the fruit salad?” a new voice asked from the hallway. Youngjae looked up at the owner of the voice, who was dripping wet and clad only in a pair of jeans. So that was Shower Guy. Awesome.

 

“Yeah, now move.” Jinyoung said from behind him. Shower Guy obliged, stepping far enough into the kitchen that Jinyoung could get around him.

 

“Okay, so maybe we shouldn’t have kept something like that in the fridge,” Shower Guy said.

 

“Thank you, Jackson, for the insightful commentary,” Jaebum said. So Shower Guy’s name was Jackson. Good to know. “Is there anything else we needed to do?”

 

“I think just monitor him,” Jinyoung replied. “Right, Youngjae?” He was holding something that Youngjae could only describe as a large pen-shaped yellow capsule. He assumed that was the “EpiPen” they had mentioned earlier.

 

Youngjae finished the second water bottle. “Wow, you guys are really taking this seriously,” he commented.

 

“Of course we are, hyung!” Zelo 2.0 exclaimed. “We don’t want you to die!”

 

Youngjae looked at him. “Is it really that serious?” he asked, bewildered. All six of them stared at him like he had grown a second head.

 

“Who are you, and what have you done with Youngjae?” Jackson asked.

 

Wait, what? Did this guy know who he was? If so, he was being awfully nonchalant about the whole situation. “Um...I am Youngjae.”

 

Jackson narrowed his eyes. “I don’t believe you.”

 

“What? But you--you know what, nevermind.” Youngjae was confused. Clearly this guy knew who he was, he’d called him by name. So why was he being so difficult? “And anyway, where are your priorities. You’re all concerned about the apparent melon allergy, but you don’t bat an eye at the fact that one of your members is now a completely different person?”

 

“What do you mean different person?” Jinyoung asked.

 

Youngjae considered his options. He’d pretty much let the cat out of the bag on the whole body swap thing. Might as well bring everyone up to speed on it so they could figure out what to do next. “Well, you see, Jinyoung, I’m not-” He stopped when everyone gasped. “What? What’d I do this time?”

 

“Jeez, Youngjae. What is up with you today?” Mark started. “First Coco goes ballistic on you, then you’re completely unconcerned about your very deadly allergy, and now you’re not even going to respect the age hierarchy?”

 

Youngjae gaped at him. “What do you mean respect the hierarchy? We’re the same age! Heck, I’m older than him!”

 

“In what universe?” Jinyoung asked, incredulous.

 

“Wait a second,” Jaebum suddenly exclaimed. He pointed at Youngjae. “You said you are Youngjae, right?”

 

“Yeah…” Youngjae had no idea where he was going with this.

 

“Did you, by any chance, mean Yoo Youngjae?” Jaebum asked.

 

“Yes, obviously!” Youngjae scoffed. He slumped back in his seat and folded his arms in front of his chest. “Honestly, I don’t know why I hang out with you.”

 

Jaebum gave him a look that Youngjae knew meant I am done with your nonsense. “Okay,” he said, his voice measured. “The person I’m looking at right now is Choi Youngjae, so that was a fair question.”

 

“Oh.” Youngjae said. There was a Youngjae in Got7. “Oooooooh. Yeah. That makes a lot more sense now.”

 

“Wait,” Mark said. “Yoo Youngjae, as in BAP Youngjae?”

 

“Yes,” Youngjae confirmed.

 

“As in, was a trainee with us for like a year, Yoo Youngjae?” Bambam asked.

 

“Also yes,” Youngjae nodded at him.

 

“Okay,” Jinyoung said. “That does make more sense.”

 

“I’m still confused,” Zelo 2.0 piped up.

 

“So let me get this straight,” Jackson said. “You, Yoo Youngjae from BAP, have somehow miraculously switched bodies with our Choi Youngjae from Got7?”

 

“Yeah, looks like it,” Youngjae confirmed.

 

“And, what, you didn’t notice?” Jackson asked.

 

“Of course I noticed!” Youngjae protested. “I just hadn’t quite figured out who I’d switched with.”

 

“You didn’t think to look in a mirror?” Bambam asked.

 

Jaebum scoffed. “Knowing him, he was trying to figure it out using context clues.”

 

That was exactly what Youngjae had been doing, but he wasn’t about to admit it. “It’s not like a mirror would have helped very much,” he pouted. “I didn’t know you had a Youngjae until just now. I don’t even know that one’s name.” He pointed at Zelo 2.0.

 

“Oh, I’m Yugyeom,” Zelo 2.0--Yugyeom--said.

 

Jaebum looked hurt. “You don’t know the names of all of my members?”

 

“I do now,” Youngjae responded.

 

“I know the names of all of your members,” Jaebum continued.

 

“That’s not a fair comparison,” Youngjae countered. “I debuted before you. BAP comes back at least three times a year. I was busy.”

 

“You were on hiatus until like a month ago!” Jaebum protested.

 

“I was still busy.”

 

“Yeah, playing video games. You had time to learn the names of three people.”

 

“Okay, maybe I didn’t think it was that important. It’s not like I expected this to happen!”

 

Jaebum looked like he was about to say more, but he stopped suddenly and fished his phone from his pocket. He glanced at the screen before pressing a button and bringing the phone to his ear.

 

“Hello?” he said. “Oh hey, Daehyun. What’s up?”