Rude Awakenings

The Wrong Youngjae

When Yoo Youngjae woke up that morning, he noticed something was wrong. He couldn’t quite place what was wrong, but something was. Oh well, if the problem wasn’t obvious, there wasn’t much he could do to fix it. Best not to worry about it for the time being.

 

He yawned and walked out into the kitchen. He could hear the shower running, but otherwise it appeared he was the first one awake. He wondered if he should wake up Himchan so he could make breakfast, but quickly discarded the idea. He didn’t really want to deal with pre-coffee Himchan if he could avoid it. And besides, it’d be more efficient if he made coffee before Himchan woke up. Satisfied with his plan, he nodded to himself and shuffled over to the counter to prepare the coffee.

 

Except, the coffee maker wasn’t where it was supposed to be. Youngjae looked around in confusion, eventually spotting the coffee pot on the other side of the room. Or rather, a coffee pot. Youngjae was pretty sure theirs was black, whereas this one was bright red. That’s strange, he thought, walking over to it. Did Himchan-hyung get a new one? He shrugged. It was too early for such questions. Fortunately, the coffee and filters were all arranged next to it, so he set about preparing the machine.

 

“Morning, hyung,” a familiar voice greeted him.

 

He looked up briefly. “Morning, Bambam,” he replied before returning to the task at hand. Wait.

 

“Bambam?!” He turned around so he was completely facing the younger boy. Sure enough, there was Bambam, looking confused.

 

“What?” he asked.

 

“What are you d-” Holy is that my voice? He put a hand over his throat and made a few experimental noises.

 

Yep. Definitely my voice. What the hell’s wrong with my voice? Wait a second. Youngjae suddenly realized what had felt so wrong when he woke up. This wasn't B.A.P’s dorm. In fact, he was pretty sure it was the dorm he’d lived in back when he was a trainee at JYP Entertainment. He briefly wondered if he'd somehow been transported back in time to his trainee days, but quickly dismissed the idea. Even as a trainee his voice hadn't been that high.

 

Youngjae looked down, wondering how he ended up here, when he caught sight of his hand, still on his throat. Except it wasn't his hand. Not really. It was almost like it belonged to someone el-

 

Oh.

 

Oh .

 

***

 

Jung Daehyun sat at the kitchen table in BAP’s dorm, watching as coffee slowly dripped into the base of the black coffee pot. He didn't really like coffee, but he was hungry and Himchan wasn't going to make breakfast until he'd consumed at least a cup of the stuff.

 

He heard shuffling sounds coming from the direction of the bedrooms. A couple doors opened and shut again and, within a few seconds, a groggy-looking Himchan trudged into the room, followed by a concerned-looking Yongguk.

 

“Morning, hyungs,” Daehyun greeted.

 

“G’mrnin" Himchan mumbled as he made his way to the coffee pot.

 

“Is something up with Youngjae?” Yongguk asked, sliding into the chair next to him.

 

Daehyun frowned. “I don't think so. Why?”

 

“He gave us kind of a funny look just now. I was wondering if anything was going on that I should be aware of.”

 

“Not that I know of. I can ask him if you want.” Daehyun offered.

 

“No, that's fine. It’s probably noth-”

 

“AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!” A scream erupted from the bathroom. Loud, long, terrified, and definitely coming from Youngjae.

 

Daehyun was up like a shot. He covered the space from the kitchen to the bathroom in two seconds flat. He could feel Yongguk and Himchan behind him. Heard two doors open as Jongup and Zelo came out to investigate. But that all fell away when he saw Youngjae.

 

Youngjae was shaking, hands clamped over his mouth, eyes wide and transfixed on the bathroom mirror as the color drained from his face.

 

“Youngjae, what's wrong? Are you okay?” Daehyun felt panic rising in his chest. At least it didn't look like he was hurt.

 

At the sound of his name, Youngjae jumped and turned toward Daehyun. “W-what?” His eyes darted around frantically, first looking at Daehyun, then shifting to look at the rest of the group, huddled behind him. He was starting to hyperventilate. “Who? Y-you’re not my members. Where am I? W-where’s Jaebum-hyung?”

 

Okay. Now Daehyun was confused. “Youngjae, what are you talking about? Of course we’re your members. And anyway aren't you the same age as JB?”

 

That...probably wasn’t the right thing to say. Youngjae was definitely hyperventilating now and tears were starting to well up in his eyes. He looked like he was going to fall apart, and Youngjae never fell apart.

 

“Youngjae, are-are you okay?” Daehyun repeated, softer this time, doing his best to keep the rising panic out of his voice.

 

“I think I’m dreaming. Maybe.” Youngjae's voice was barely a whisper. Tears started trailing down his cheeks. “I think I’m gonna go back to bed now….”

 

“Okay,” Daehyun rushed to Youngjae's side and gently took him by the shoulders. “Come on.” He started leading him out of the bathroom and toward the room he shared with Jongup, the rest of the group moving out of the way as he did so. He could see the looks of worry on their faces, but he was more concerned with the way Youngjae’s shoulders shuddered as he drew in ragged, gasping breaths. He didn't know what to do. This was the first time he'd ever seen Youngjae like this, and he had no idea what had caused it. He thought back to what Youngjae had said. Maybe there was something he could do.

 

“Do you want me to call JB for you?” He asked as he helped Youngjae ease onto his bed. “I could ask him to come over, if you think that'd help.”

 

Youngjae looked up at him through tear stained eyes and nodded. He looked so small and helpless.

 

“Okay.” Daehyun nodded back. “Okay. I'll go do that. Are you going to be okay on your own for a bit?”

 

Youngjae nodded again.

 

“Okay. It's gonna okay. Everything's going to be okay.”

 

Youngjae's lips curved up slightly in a small forced smile.

 

“I'll be right back.” Daehyun hurried out of the room. The rest of BAP was standing just outside the door, those same worried looks on their faces.

 

“Any idea what happened?” Himchan asked.

 

Daehyun shook his head. “Does anyone have JB’s phone number?”