Don't Panic

The Wrong Youngjae

Choi Youngjae sat on the bed Daehyun had led him to, hugging his knees and staring at the opposite wall. He had calmed down a little but with that calm came the undeniable realization that this probably wasn’t a dream. Which begged the question--what was it?

He figured he probably hadn’t been kidnapped. He didn’t know his sunbaes in BAP very well, but they seemed like decent enough people that they wouldn’t kidnap anyone. At least not without a motive. And besides, a kidnapping just seemed too normal for this. He thought back to his reflection, and shuddered. He really wanted it to be an illusion, but deep down he knew it wasn’t. He couldn’t quite place why, but something just felt wrong about his whole body.

“Youngjae-ah?” A deep voice wrenched him out of his thoughts. Bang Yongguk was standing just inside the door. Why did it have to be him? “Jaebum’s on his way.” Yongguk rumbled.

Youngjae flashed a nervous smile. “Thanks,” he said. He grimaced at the sound of his voice. It was still weird. He glanced back up at Yongguk. He’d heard the older man was actually really nice, despite his scary appearance. Now seemed like as good a time as any to see if that was true.

“Um, sunbae?” he ventured. “This is BAP’s dorm, isn’t it?”

“Mm-hmm.” Yongguk nodded.

“How did I get here?” he asked. “And what’s wrong with my voice? And my reflection?”

“You...switched bodies,” Yongguk said. “With Yoo Youngjae.”

“What?!” Youngjae was starting to panic again. “How did that happen?”

“I don’t know,” Yongguk admitted. “But don’t worry. We’re going to fix it.”

“Are you sure?” Youngjae asked.

Yongguk nodded reassuringly. “And, in the meantime, we’ll be sure to help you in any way we can.”

Youngjae smiled nervously. “Thank you,” he said.

An awkward silence fell between them. It was eventually broken when Youngjae's stomach rumbled loudly.

Yongguk grinned, and Youngjae marveled at how much the action completely transformed his face. He looked downright adorable now. “Why don't we start by getting you some food?”

“I like food,” Youngjae agreed timidly. He slid off the bed and followed Yongguk out into the main section of the apartment.

Three B.A.P members were sitting around one half of a round table. The fourth--Youngjae was pretty sure his name was Himchan--was standing at the stove, staring sleepily into a frying pan. When they entered, Daehyun looked up from where he was sitting and smiled.

“Hey,” he greeted. “You feeling better?”

“A little.” Youngjae slid into the seat next to Daehyun. “At least now I know what's going on.”

“Yeah, that probably helps, huh? I can't imagine how scary that was! I know I'd hate to wake up as Youngjae, and I'm friends with him!”

Youngjae laughed nervously. Then he bowed his head slightly. “Thank you for helping me out, sunbae. And for calling Jaebum-hyung for me.”

“Don't even worry about it! And you don't have to be so formal! You can go ahead and call me hyung. And that goes for all of us, right guys?” Daehyun looked pointedly at the other members.

“I think that goes without saying,” Himchan said. He walked over and placed an omelette in front of Youngjae, who looked down at it.

“Does this have any cucumbers or melons in it?” he asked on instinct.

“Um...no?” Himchan raised an eyebrow.

Youngjae gasped as he realized his mistake. “Right, sorry! Does Youngjae-sunbae have any food allergies?”

Himchan blinked, then his eyes lit up as he realized what Youngjae was asking. “Not that I know of.” He gestured to the omelette. “He’s eaten that before if it helps.”

Youngjae grinned. “It does, thanks!” He took a bite and felt the flavor melt in his mouth. “Whoa! This is really good!”

“I'm glad you like it,” Himchan smiled and walked back to the counter.

“Oh my God!” Daehyun exclaimed. “Don't compliment him! It'll go straight to his head.”

“I take it that means you don't want breakfast, Daehyun,” Himchan said calmly.

“What?!” Daehyun’s eyes went wide. “No! Hyung, that's not what I meant at all!”

“Really?” Himchan set a plate in front of the small one (Youngjae couldn't remember his name for the life of him) who quietly thanked him and began eating.

“Absolutely!” Daehyun assured him.

“It sure didn't sound like it,” Himchan replied.

“No, hyung, I swear. You are the greatest cook I've ever met. Please give me food.”

They went on like that for a few minutes. Himchan made a point of serving everyone else before him, but Daehyun did eventually get breakfast. Once he started eating, the room quieted down significantly. It appeared most of B.A.P was content to eat in silence.

Youngjae had almost finished his omelette when a thought occurred to him. “Does Youngjae-sunbae know I’m allergic to cucumbers and melons?”

Himchan smirked. “He does now.”

That didn’t sound good. Still, best to stay optimistic. “Did someone tell him?” Youngjae asked. B.A.P exchanged glances. “Please don’t tell me he ate some of that stuff in the fridge. That smelled like death.”

“JB-hyung did say something about suicide by cantaloupe,” the tall one (Zelo?) commented off-handedly.

“What?!” Youngjae felt his heart rate increasing. “Is he gonna die? Oh my god, he’s gonna die! What happens to me if he dies?!”

“No one’s going to die,” Yongguk asserted.

Youngjae turned to him. “But-”

“No one’s going to die,” he repeated. “Youngjae was just on the phone with us. We don’t know exactly what happened, but he’s fine.”

“Are you sure?”

Yongguk nodded.

“He’s coming with JB,” Himchan said. “You can ask him what happened if you want.”

“Okay,” Youngjae poked at the remains of his food, suddenly not that hungry. “I hope it wasn’t anything too serious.”

“I’m sure it wasn’t!” Daehyun reassured him. “Got7 cares about you too much to let anything happen!”

“You’re right!” Youngjae smiled back at him. “I’m sure it wasn’t that bad.”