Bad Trip

The Wrong Youngjae

As it turned out, Himchan had JB’s number. When asked why, he muttered something about Got7’s debut after party, handed Daehyun his phone, and went to the kitchen to get more coffee. Now, all five members of BAP (except Youngjae, of course) were sitting around the kitchen table. Daehyun found JB in Himchan’s contacts, pressed the call button, switched the phone to speaker so everyone could hear, and set it down on the table in front of him.

“Hello?” JB’s voice came from the other end.

“Hey,” Daehyun said. “It’s Daehyun. From BAP.”

“Oh hey, Daehyun,” JB responded. “What’s up?”

“So Youngjae just had a serious freak out, and he asked about you. I was wondering if you, maybe, knew anything about this.”

JB hummed. “Yeah, that sounds about right. That was our Youngjae. We have yours.”

“Excuse me?” Daehyun said. “I’m pretty sure he was our Youngjae.”

“Yeah, he probably looked like your Youngjae, but he’s definitely ours,” JB said.

Daehyun glanced up at the rest of BAP. They looked just as confused as he felt. “Um...no offense, JB, but I think I can tell the two apart. I mean, they may have the same name, but they’re not, like, indistinguishable or anything.”

“No,” JB said, “I know it doesn’t make a lot of sense, but Yoo Youngjae is here. He nearly killed himself with a cantaloupe this morning.”

Daehyun blinked. “Are you high?” he asked. As soon as he said it, a terrifying realization washed over Daehyun. It seemed like a reasonable explanation, but he really hoped it wasn’t true. “Oh my god, did you give Youngjae drugs? Is that what’s wrong with him? Because if it is, I might just have to murder you!”

There was a shuffling sound and suddenly ambient noise could be heard from the other end. It seemed JB had set his phone to speaker as well.

“Jeez, chill out, Dae,” a higher voice--Daehyun was pretty sure it belonged to Got7’s Youngjae--said. “I’m not high. I just switched bodies with Choi Youngjae. He’s allergic to melons. I didn’t know.”

“You...switched bodies?” Daehyun asked.

“Yeah,” the voice said. “We switched bodies.”

Daehyun considered this. If that was true, it would explain a few things. He imagined he’d freak out if he woke up in a strange place with a bunch of people who weren’t his roommates and a reflection that wasn’t his. It was definitely preferable to his drug trip theory. He looked around the table. It seemed like everyone else had come to similar conclusions.

“Okay, yeah,” Daehyun said. “That makes a lot of sense.”

“Great!” the voice that was apparently Youngjae’s sounded oddly chipper. “Now that we’re all on the same page, WHY THE WOULD YOU ASSUME I WAS HIGH, YOU IDIOT?!”

“Well, what the hell was I supposed to think?!” Daehyun retorted. “You...he was clearly in hysterics, he had no idea where he was, and he was terrified of his own reflection. I think a bad trip is a pretty reasonable explanation. How was I supposed to know he wasn’t you?”

Youngjae huffed. “You should have asked what his full name was. It could have also been a concussion.”

“Yeah,” Daehyun said dryly. “Because my first thought when I see my best friend in hysterics is definitely ‘Oh, better check that he doesn’t have a concussion.’ and not, you know, ‘Oh my god, what happened?’ Which was my actual response. Because I have a soul.”

“He took it that badly, huh?” JB asked.

“Well how the hell would you take it?” Daehyun asked.

“I took it pretty well,” Youngjae commented.

“Frankly, Youngjae,” another voice came over the phone. “You’re the exception, not the rule.”

Daehyun sighed. “Anyway, can you guys come over? We should probably try to figure out how to fix this. And I think your Youngjae will feel a lot better with JB here.

“Yeah,” JB said. “I’ll figure something out. Our manager’s not going to be very happy about it though. I imagine yours won’t be either.”

“We’ve got the day off,” Daehyun explained. “Just get here, okay?”

“We will,” JB said. The call disconnected, and Daehyun deflated, resting his head in his hands.

“You doing all right, Dae?” Himchan asked.

“Yeah,” Daehyun replied. “I’m just...worried, you know.”

“We all are, hyung,” Jongup said.

They sat in silence for a minute. “So, um, we should tell him, right?” Zelo asked.

“Yeah.” Yongguk stood and walked toward Youngjae’s room. Daehyun silently thanked him for taking this on. He wasn’t sure he could face the kid again.

“Well,” Himchan said after Yongguk had disappeared down the hall. “I should probably get started on breakfast, then.”