Funny Looks

The Wrong Youngjae

Choi Youngjae sat on the couch in BAP’s dorm, idly watching as Jongup (he'd asked what his name was) entered his fifth straight minute of doing push-ups in the middle of the living room floor. Breakfast had ended a while ago and BAP had dispersed to their various rooms, except for Yongguk, who apparently did have to work today, and Jongup, who had been tasked with making sure someone was with him in case Youngjae freaked out again. He was a little skeptical of this guy’s ability to mitigate any sort of panic attack, but at the very least watching him exercise was weirdly fascinating.

Finally, the doorbell rang. Youngjae covered the distance to the front door in maybe two seconds and threw it open to reveal Jaebum standing in the doorway.

“Hyung!” Youngjae grinned widely as he threw himself onto Got7’s leader, wrapping him in a tight embrace. He felt Jaebum stiffen beneath him, but he was so happy to see him that he didn't care.

“Y-youngjae,” Jaebum stuttered. “Hey.”

“Okay, you're right,” a disturbingly familiar voice came from next to them. “This is weird.”

Youngjae pulled away from Jaebum and looked toward the source of the voice. His eyes widened as he saw his own face staring back at him with an annoyed expression. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he knew he should have been expecting this, but it was still jarring. “You’re...me?” was all he could think to say.

The other Youngjae took a sip from the Starbucks cup he was holding. “No, you idiot,” he said, “I’m just stuck in your body, like you’re stuck in mine.”

“Youngjae!” Jaebum scolded. Both Youngjaes turned to look at him. “We literally just went over this!”

“Well, I’m sorry! I didn’t expect to see myself jump out at you with a big stupid grin on my face!” Choi Youngjae wasn’t sure what was weirder--hearing his own voice say those words or watching as his face morphed into a weird approximation of a pout. “It caught me off guard.”

Jaebum heaved a beleaguered sigh. “Fine. Just...try to be tactful.”

“Yeah, no promises.” Jaebum started to say more, but Yoo Youngjae cut him off. “Look, can we have this conversation inside? My neighbors don’t need more reasons to hate me.” With that, he pushed his way past his body and into the apartment.

Choi Youngjae stared after him in disbelief.

“I’m sorry about him,” Jaebum said, and Youngjae turned to look at him. “He’s had a really rough morning.”

Youngjae flashed his signature smile. “I understand,” he said.

Jaebum blinked at him for a solid minute.

Youngjae's face fell. “Is something wrong?”

Jaebum jumped. “No! Um...I brought your phone.” He reached into his pocket and pulled out the device, along with a neatly coiled charging cable. “Youngjae-uh-Yoo Youngjae seemed to really want his, so I figured…”

Youngjae’s face lit up. He hadn't really thought about his phone, if he was being honest, but the fact that Jaebum thought of him made him feel really special. “Hyung, thank you so much!” He embraced the older idol again, this time receiving a tentative hug back.

“I'm glad you're okay,” he said.

***

Yoo Youngjae went straight to his room after entering the dorm, pushing past a worried-looking Daehyun as he did so. He pulled his phone off the charger, unlocked it, and started checking through missed texts and emails.

“Nice to know you care so much.”

Youngjae looked up to see Daehyun leaning against the doorframe.

“It’s nothing personal. It’s just that my phone doesn’t give me funny looks when I move my face.”

“Hey!” Daehyun exclaimed in mock indignation. “I’ve been doing a really good job not giving this kid funny looks!”

Youngjae raised an eyebrow. “Is that so?”

“Yeah, obviously. Youngjae, this is me we’re talking about.”

Youngjae pursed his lips. “You’ve been avoiding him.”

Daehyun gaped. “Noooo,” he said eventually.

“You have. I can see it in your eyes.”

Daehyun floundered for a moment, seemingly trying to form some sort of response. Eventually, he found one. “Well he just keeps grinning! A-and I’ve met him before; I know he’s just like that, but on you it’s bizarre! Like, I feel like you’re gonna try to murder me every single time, and it’s driving me insane! And don’t even get me started on the panic attack! Like, when I woke up this morning, I was not prepared to have to console you of all people and it was so scary seeing you lose it and having absolutely no clue why and I know it wasn’t actually you, but I didn’t know that at the time and I just...It has been a whirlwind of emotions today and why are you looking at me like that?”

Youngjae smirked. “Your accent’s showing.”

“I hate you.”

“I’m your best friend, so I think that says more about you than me.”

Daehyun sighed. “Whatever. Just...you are okay, right? I heard something about a cantaloupe?”

“Well, my mouth doesn’t feel like sandpaper anymore, so I think I’m through the worst of it.” Youngjae took a sip of his coffee. “Of course, given the amount of Benadryl in my system, I’m going to collapse from exhaustion the instant I stop drinking this.”

“So...net positive?”

This time, it was Youngjae’s turn to gape. “No,” he said eventually. “I almost died.”

“But you didn’t?”

Youngjae glared at his friend. “You wouldn’t like it if I died like this. For all we know that means you’d be stuck with the super smiley version of me for the rest of your life.”

“I’m sure I’d get used to it.” Daehyun shrugged. “Who knows, I might even prefer it. I bet he wouldn’t give me nearly as much as you do.”

Youngjae glared at him. “I hate you.”

“Well, I am your best friend, so…” Daehyun couldn’t help but laugh at the look on his friend’s face. He did have to admit that the expressions looked subtly wrong with Choi Youngjae’s features, but it was surprisingly easy to talk to Youngjae in spite of that. Maybe it was because he didn’t know Choi Youngjae very well, but the difference really didn’t bother him that much.

“I’m glad you’re okay,” Daehyun said eventually. “Really.”

“You sure have a funny way of showing it,” Youngjae pouted.

“Would you prefer it if I was tip-toeing around, trying not to upset you?”

Youngjae sighed. “No. Come on, let’s go pry smiley-me off my boyfriend so we can figure out how to fix this already.”

Daehyun followed Youngjae back into the living room. The sooner they got this sorted out the better.