♡ CHEN ♡

BABY FEVER (EXO OT9)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I see… Yeah, it’s fine, I understand.”

Ending the call to the last person on Yanmei’s contact list, she sighs. The biggest sigh she has released for tonight. It’s been two hours of non-stop phone calls, asking her friends and colleagues for their availability.

Yanmei lets out a silent groan as she buries her face in her palms, letting her phone drop on her lap.

Technically, there is one more number she can call. She purposely skipped that one contact because… Well, she can’t call him. Especially this late, he’s probably sleeping right now. And they’re not exactly on speaking terms outside of the office premises. Heck, they don’t even interact much when they're at the office. Just random questions thrown here and there regarding work, nothing more.

“Hello…”

Yanmei jumps slightly when she heard a muffled voice from her phone. Picking up and turning the device the right way, chills immediately crawl up her spine.

She accidentally dialed his number!!!

Yanmei ends the call right away and before she can even compose an apology text, he was calling her again.

“Oh God! Why is he calling?”

She was about to reject the call but her stupid finger suddenly changed its own mind and swipe the accept button.

Yanmei lets out a muted and airy scream before answering…

“Hello, Jongdae-ssi—”

Her pitch is higher than normal.

“—I’m sooo sorry I accidentally called you. I was just rummaging through my contacts because I need someone to babysit my daughter for a little bit. My sister got into an accident and I—”

“Yanmei-ssi…”

Jongdae clears his throat.

“—No one is available, but I can’t bring my daughter to the ER and—”

Yanmei continues and Jongdae clears his throat again.

“Yanmei-ssi…”

Jongdae spoke loudly this time.

“Yes, Jongdae-ssi? I’m so sorry, I just—”

“I’m not busy… Do you still live in the same apartment?”

It took a few seconds before what Jongdae said to Yanmei registered in her brain.

“Yanmei-ssi?”

Jongdae calls for her attention again.

“Ah… Y—yes. Do you still know the direction—”

“Of course. I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

Jongdae abruptly ended the call and all Yanmei could do was squeal like a pig.

“Mommy, are you okay?”

Yanmei twirls her head when her daughter emerges from her bedroom. A toothbrush in her hand and clutching her favorite baby doll on her other arm. Yanmei stood up to meet her daughter halfway.

“Yes, Mei-yah. I’m sorry, did mommy startle you?”

Yanmei coos at her daughter as she cups either side of her rosy chubby cheeks.

“It’s okay mommy, I scream much louder than you do.”

Jeongmei giggles and proceeded to brush her teeth, pushing her doll to Yanmei’s chest so the toy won’t get wet.

“Brush your teeth well!”

Yanmei shouts and pretends to kick the child’s when she starts running back to her bedroom bath.

The distinct buzz of Yanmei’s apartment doorbell woke her up from staring straight at the Pororo show her daughter was watching on the television and thinking how to not stumble her words when Jongdae arrives.

Without thinking, she robotically makes her way to the door. Opening it with her eyes still in a daze, Yanmei didn’t notice that she opened the door to Jongdae.

“Yanmei-ssi???”

Jongdae waves his hands in front of Yanmei’s face, the plastic full of snacks he was holding ruffling as he moves.

“Oh… I… You’re here. Sorry I was… My mind was somewhere else. Come in, please.”

Yanmei stutters, shaking her head slightly as she steps aside to let Jongdae in.

“Your place still looks the same, but with more toys this time.”

Jongdae looks around the kind of familiar place smiling, putting down the plastic bags on the coffee table. Yanmei ignores what he said and just stood next to her daughter.

Jeongmei looks at the man and smiles, standing up to politely greet the stranger her mother let in the house.

“Annyeong haseyo.”

The little girl bows ninety degrees with both her hands on her stomach. Yanmei smiles when her daughter took the initiative to greet visitors, she really is growing up now. Before, she literally has to tap Jeongmei gently to evoke her to greet elders.

“Annyeong haseyo, so cute.”

Jongdae smiles brightly as he tousles Jeongmei’s hair.

“This is my daughter, her name is Jo… Jeongmei… She’s four.”

Yanmei clears awkwardly when Jongdae didn’t speak and just stare adoringly down at Jeongmei and Jeongmei does the same at the strange man.

Yanmei went down on her knees and caresses the young child’s face to get her attention.

“Mei-yah, this is Uncle Jongdae, he is mommy’s most trusted workmate. He will look after

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter