A New Guy Happens

Baby Happens


A New Guy Happens



 

For the 372193478th times that morning, Chanyeol checked the Rolex on his wrist and grumbled not so subtly, not minding his choice of words anymore as he stood up beside his grandmother waiting for the princess Byun Baekhyun to climb down from his wheelhouse.

As the longer needle ticked the second golden strip from twelve, he threw hands up in the air and audibly let out a groan. I am late!!!

 “I don’t care anymore! It’s Monday and I’m not getting my whipped by Kris waiting for his slow ugly (actually, not really, his mind warned) to get here! I’m going!” He exclaimed with final in his tone as he made move to open his car’s door and get—

Not fast enough, because Grandma Park, despite her age and backache she always whined about, was way quicker to grab Chanyeol’s by the back of his shirt and pulled him back.

“You’re not going anywhere without Baekhyunee, Chanyeol.”

“GRANDMA! MY IRONED SHIRT! And… BAEKHYUNEE?!”

It hurt. The action his own grandmother had just did to him as if he was some stray kid hurt. But the knowledge that his Grandma called Baekhyun with ‘Baekhyunee’ with sweet tone and he got a plain angry Chanyeol hurt inside out. For real!

Baekhyun emerged not so long after, all exhausted from retching in front of toilet bowl since early this morning that it woke Chanyeol up, not that the guy cared anyway. The heartless giant even had the gut to walk by and told him to be quick because he was going to poop. To which Baekhyun answer by kept throwing his inside up, not caring if he didn’t have anything anymore to puke out. He just did so in hope Chanyeol would poop in his pants or something.

The color was already back to the small male’s face, anyway, after stuffing double portion of tuna sandwich into his still flat stomach. The ever so kind Yoora made sure of that.

“Good morning, Grandma, Yoora noona,” Baekhyun greeted all the audiences, except Chanyeol, with cheery bright smile. He was wearing brand new stripped blue shirt and dark blue jeans. His strawberry blonde hair was styled cutely to match his cute smile and for a moment, Chanyeol forgot how to properly breathe.

Just. For. A. Moment, however.

Both Grandma Park and Yura waved excitedly as if Baekhyun was Miss Universe going to fetch the award he deserved and Chanyeol as his dedicated driver was going to drive him there. The giant rolled his eyes. He could feel that annoyed feeling that he felt every time Baekhyun was in the radius of ten meters around him again.

“Chanyeollie,” Grandma Park said, in a soft tone so strange Chanyeol almost couldn’t recognize it. Since when his grandma being this soft? He patted Chanyeol on the back and Chanyeol shivered. “Take care of our sweet little Baekhyunee, hm? He’s pregnant and fragile, after all, as you can see.”

The former side eyed the latter. Fragile my ! He kicked me in the groin last night! Wherever he looked, whichever angle he took, he couldn’t see any fragile side of that sly vixen, who had tendency to smile shyly at Grandma Park.

“If anything happened to Baekhyunee and his baby, I will not hesitate to chop you into pieces, Park Chanyeol. Remember that, hm?

And that was the last sentences treat Grandma Park gave as Chanyeol climbed onto the driver seat and started the engine without waiting for Baekhyun to get in. But his hope that he could leave without the nemesis of his life crushed down when Grandma Park ushered the boy to get to the passenger seat and kissed him goodbye on the cheeks.

“Take care, grandsons! Bye!!!”

They drove in complete silence. The air was suffocating for both of them to know they are locked in the same car, repeat, in the same car! With that one person they’d better get poisoned rather than sharing air to each other. It was good enough that none of them initiate to choke the other or stab one in the eyes. It was not that bad until Baekhyun got bored and decided to turn on the radio. Red Velvet’s Bad Boy blasted like heaven had burst before him. He was on his way to turn up the volume when Chanyeol’s huge hand swatted his slender one away.

“What do you think you are doing?”

“Umm taking a bath?”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and so did Baekhyun. “Rules number one: no touching my car, or any of my property, or whatever it is that belongs to me!

“When did I agree to your rules?!”

“You must. My house, my rules!”

“Really?” Baekhyun scorned. “I’ll ask Grandma Park then.”

To that, Chanyeol’s lips seem to waver.

“Y- YOU CAN’T!”

“Grandmaaaa~” The strawberry blonde whined in childish voice and pouted cutely, which Chanyeol found irritating. So irritating he almost crushed onto a street pole. “Chanyeollie is bad! He hurt Baekhyunee~”

“That’s gross stop it!”

“Baekhyunee wants Chanyeollie to be punished!”

“You’re gonna stop that or I’ll change this channel.”

“YAH IT’S MY FAVORITE SONG!”

“The more reason I’m changing it.”

Baekhyun swatted Chanyeol’s hand away. Chanyeol swatted back. They bat each other hand until the game was levelled up when Chanyeol used all his power and huge hand to hover over the buttons while he kept half his focus on the street. No matter how much Baekhyun tried to beat him away, Chanyeol wouldn’t budge.  That is, there’s no other choice. Before Chanyeol could blink, Baekhyun had leaned down, his small fangs bite Chanyeol hard on the arm. The later shrieked. The car, to their long lives, was put into sudden halt on the edge of the street. And as Chanyeol looked at him with rounded eyes while clutching his injured hand, Baekhyun grinned in victory.

“Sijaghalge bad boy down!”

 

***

 

“Ba-banana ba-ba-banana-nana~”

Baekhyun kept singing annoyingly in purpose, hands slapping his thighs and head bobbed right and left, making Chanyeol have to put his earphones on and play all Linkin Park, Eminem, until L’arch n Ciel songs in highest volume it actually could be heard even by Baekhyun. He didn’t care if he went deaf to this level, as long as he had Baekhyun annoying voice out of his ear shot.

It was only his luck he didn’t get into any trouble with police officer or other people on the street.

“Iyeiye iyeiyeiyeiye~,” Baekhyun sang to the incoherent lyric of Red Velvet’s latest song, Power Up wholeheartedly. His voice was too high pitched and out of tune, much to Chanyeol’s dismay.

To his last piece of sanity, Chanyeol took right turn at the intersection and drove his car to the side before it fully stopped. Five blocks from their office.

“Get out.”

“What?!” Baekhyun looked out of the window in panic. He didn’t recognize the neighbourhood. “It’s still far! How am I going to go to office?!”

Chanyeol shrugged. He almost smiled for finally be able to kick Baekhyun out. “Walk, get a bus, catch a cab, or crawl if you like. I don’t care. I don’t wanna be seen with you.”

“I should be the one saying that! I would go have plastic surgery if someone ever sees me with the like of you, okay!”

“What does that even mean?!”

The roll of Baekhyun’s eyes right now was so extreme Chanyeol found it miraculous his pupil could get back to normal. “Think yourself, you Orc!”

“… What is Orc?”

“That stupid and super ugly creature from Lord of the Ring, duh!”

To this one, Chanyeol snapped. “I’m not stupid nor am I ugly-“ He said, pausing a moment to heave a breathe. Baekhyun was like poison to his blood pressure, really. “Get out!!!”

“I don’t want to,” the smaller crosses his arms over chest.

Chanyeol unbuckled his seatbelt. He was going to get out of the car and drag the stubborn smaller man away when voices started to whisper in his head.

What if he gets lost?

Pfftt that’s good then. Better if he gets lost forever from my life.

What if he got kidnapped?!

As if there would be someone crazy enough wanting to kidnap him.

But what if he does and gets murdered?!

That’s… good?

What if something happen to the baby?!

At that, Chanyeol halted. He glanced at Baekhyun clutching at his seatbelt in his defence. There was something in his pair of small yet bright eyes. Like a pledge, just faint yet. It's all, was enough to make Chanyeol continue the drive in silence, surprising Baekhyun who had anticipated to be dumped away from the car like some sack of trash.

“I will drop you in the next block,” he said instead. And said the same thing again in the next block.

However, Chanyeol ended up dropping him just two blocks away, under the biggest Gingko tree that orderly planted alongside the street. He looked around, noting a ramen shop just across the street next to a hair salon.

“Wait here after work. Remember: here! In the same spot. I don’t wanna be impaled by grandma if I return alone. Got it?”

“Heol, whatever.” Baekhyun closed the door not so gracefully behind him.

 

***

 

Jongdae was having his presentation in front of all the co-workers and their boss, Kris. His high pitched voice was now talking in relatively constant way, it faded into some sort of buzz that could drive people to sleep. People like Chanyeol, especially, who was now trying hard to supress his yawn. Chanyeol felt bored. He played with his pen absentmindedly. When it didn’t work anymore, he swiped his eyes around the four corners room, trying to find something interesting… and then his eyes fell to the midget across his table. He and his irritating rectangular smile, laughing silently at what Yoona next to him had said. At times like this, he would love to question the Gods. Like why, just why creature like Baekhyun existed. What is his function in this world?

He didn’t hate him for no reason. Chanyeol wasn’t the type of person who would be mad at random person and for so long time. Clearly there was a strong valid reason on why he hated Baekhyun to the gut.

And Chanyeol, remembered that reason as clear as day.

It was the first day of their interview in the advertising company he was now. There was over thirty other people wanting this job as much as him, thirty rivals. No matter how much he tried to calm down his nerve, it couldn’t help but rise again every time Chanyeol took a look of others. They all looked damn professionals.

Clamping his sweaty hands, Chanyeol noticed Baekhyun among dozens other people. How could he not? When Baekhyun was so cute and beautiful, his laugh was like melody, echoing in the nerve-wrecking waiting room, and his smile was so bright and radiant, he was actually glowing. The small male was practically outshined everyone else there. But all the adoration he once addressed the smaller all puffed into air as, they were sit side by side in front of three interviewers.

All went smooth, despite his nervous, Chanyeol could actually give the answer they asked and performed his ads idea confidently, and so did the shorter male beside him. It was all until the particular moment when the interviewers asked him to tell why they should choose him over Chanyeol, however.

“I have strong passion in this field, I am competent and I can work hard even under pressure. I am confident with my skill too. People with small body are known for their brain and creativity while people with gifted height, well… that’s all they get. I’m sure all of you are smart enough to see that. They are only good to place unused boxes on top of the shelves. That’s why, obviously you should choose me.”

A chuckle soon erupted between the interviewers and Chanyeol’s blood rushed to his ear. This small midget had that in him to insult Chanyeol in front of the interviewers. They looked at him as if he was some troll with big ears and little brain, all thanks to the male who introduced himself as Byun Baekhyun. He glared at the male then and it was all he could do not to scream and yank that annoying blonde head.

“What was it?!” He grabbed Baekhyun once they were outside. The male only gave him look and yanked himself free.

“Well, see? I thought you were smarter but obviously I underrated my insult for you.”

“YAH! Do you really take me from a stupid troll?!”

“Woah that’s good that you realize it yourself without me wasting my energy to explain.”

“I can be better than you!”

“I am better than you.”

Chanyeol scoffed, his blood boiling inside. “Let’s see then.”

“Okay. And don’t cry to your mama everytime reality hits you.”

“I won’t lose to you! I will never!”

Chanyeol snapped out of his reverie by the sound of people applauding Jongdae’s end of presentation. Chanyeol didn’t even get what Jongdae was trying to suggest but the nodding head of Kris made it seem presentable enough for Chanyeol’s taste. Not that he wanted to be cocky anyway but he believed he was the best in this field.

“That’s a nice and fresh suggestion, Jongdae. Do you agree, Baekhyun?”

Chanyeol almost rose from his seat, having predicted that it was his name would be called by Kris. Park Chanyeol, instead of Baekhyun!

“Hm,” Baekhyun gave two thumbs up with a smile Chanyeol found too familiar for him. Too irritating. “I myself couldn’t even think of such idea until Jongdae mentioned to me. Good job, Dae!”

And why Baekhyun’s opinion is important again? Chanyeol looked at Kris, silently getting himself ready to be asked. Yet when Kris spoke up later, it was for different topic.

“I think it’s all for today then. Chen you continue the project. And oh guys. Before you leave, I would like to introduce you to someone.”

The scratches of paper being piled or chairs being pulled soon hushed when the door of the meeting room opened. A pretty tall figure, lean and seemingly well-builted through the fitted black suit walked in with long and sure strides. His jet black hair was styled back and his skin was tan. Dark, Chanyeol threw insult in his head. Yet, Chanyeol caught his female co-workers gasped. Even Baekhyun.

For the umpteenth time of that day, Chanyeol rolled his eyes.

“Everyone!” Kris stood up and patted the newcomer guy on the back. “Meet the new vice CEO of this company, my cousin Kim Jongin.”

           



A/N: Wooo I have decided to throw in some potential drama maker aka Kim Jongin hahaha. First of all, I'd like to thank you for aall your support and suggestion. It did help me to figure out some ideas! Thank you guys!!!

I'm sorry too that this chapter is short and took too long to update. I was planning to do double update but even until now the other chapter is still barely half way done written ;; I'll try to post it ASAP, however!

I'd also like to thank my beta-reader N :D

Edit: Regarding colorism issue, I don't mean to offend anyone about that. I think I need to cut that part soon but I have no idea whatelse insult could Chanyeol give. I'm an Asian and in my country, colorism issue honestly isnt something big, the jokes are taken lightly. And I hope that no one would feel offended. As we all known, Jongin is perfect the way he is and we all love him and other members unconditionally.