WTF Happened?

Baby Happens


WTF Happened?



 

            A pair of big eyes watched over the lawn. Cleared. Safe. Big clumsy steps move forward.

The very same pair of eyes then peeked inside the door, taking in the quiet and empty environment under dimness of the light in the room as a cue to come forward, the very same pair of long legs complied, walking on tiptoes with back hunching forward in a miserable attempt to look smaller.

            Chanyeol locked the door quietly behind him and let out a sigh of relief while praising his detective-like ability to sneak in only to retreat it the second the lights switched on, turning the dark room into a blinding bright one. The tall man startled much and had to cover his eyes with his arms before he could register a figure standing next to the light-switch, arms crossed. Chanyeol groaned.

            “Yah, Chanyeol!” Stepping forward, was a slim figure, tall and young, and still stunningly beautiful despite her furrowed brows, the slippers and satin pajama she was wearing. “You know what time it is? Why did you just come home, though?”

            On autopilot, Chanyeol cocked his head to the big clock standing proudly on the wall in the living room. It was 4.30. In the morning. Yes.

            “I had extra work, noona.”

            It wasn’t a lie. Well, not entirely. He had (begged to Kris to get this) extra work at office just so he wouldn’t have to go home early and face his grandmother’s wrath. And yeah, maybe a little fell asleep in the process, maybe an hour. Or maybe four nearing five. Face sticking on the cold and hard surface of his desk. The tall young girl with loose strain of hair out of her messy bun in front of him just rolled her beautiful round eyes in disapproval.

            “You make me and grandma worried, Chanyeol.”

            Chanyeol rubbed the back of his head, sleepy heavy-bagged eyes training on the girl in her pajama and sleepy look. Grandmother must have told Yoora to sleep over to listen to all of her fuss until they both fall asleep then. Thought, technically, Yoora wasn’t hers. The girl was the closest relative they had, along with Junmyeon and Yunho. They were Chanyeol’s cousins, grandchildren of Grandma Park’s brother. Being the only other girl in the family, and the one helping her grandmother as manager in her restaurant as well as in her house, Yoora was also his Grandma’s favorite. A little close to one hundred eighty degree different from how he treated Chanyeol, if her unmercifully regular smacking and daily nagging in Chanyeol ears were any indication.

            “I’m sorry,” he pouted, hoping it would calm the frown on his cousin’s face. “Why did you wake up, though?”

            “Tsk. Do you really have to ask, Chanyeol? Really?!” Yoora rolled her eyes and mentally facepalming. “You walked in here like a thief but your car just sounded like it was ready to go to war. Why did you even come this late?! Did you go drinking?” Without waiting for an answer, Yoora leaned closer, sniffing on Chanyeol which make the male stepped backward, feeling self-conscious because, heck, he knew he smelled like dirty shocks.

            “You don’t smell like alcohol at all though,” she decided before standing back straight. For a partner in crime of someone who always critized everything he did, Yoora seemed as if she was disappointed at Chanyeol’s innocence. Yoora shook her head and sighed. “So, tell me. Why did you come home just now? There’s no way someone would be working until four o’clock, Chanyeol! That’s ridi—“

            “I- S-shush noona!” Chanyeol stuttered for two things; first for coming up with a brilliant excuse, and second, the most important, worrying for his existence to be heard. He quickly placed his index finger in front of his lips, practically begging for the woman before him to stop talking. Yoora was never too loud, but for once, with the dead silence inside the house, her voice sounded likely so. “Grandma might wake up!”

            “What do you mean I might wake up?!”

            Before Chanyeol even could turn his head fully to the source of voice that startled him a moment ago, a hard thing already slammed against his upper arm, resulting him to yelp in pain. The thing turned out to be a hard-edged purse, and the culprit behind who smacked him not so gently was none other than Grandma Park.

            “Grandma!” Chanyeol squirmed and whined, trying his best to avoid getting more hit by his scary grandmother.

            “WHY DIDN’T YOU SHOW UP HUH? DON’T YOU KNOW YOU JUST EMBARRASSED ME?! DON’T YOU KNOW THAT SEOHYUN IS A VERY NICE GIRL, HUH?!!”

            Smack. Smack. Smack. Every word was emphasized with a hard slap on his arm that Chanyeol sure would leave bruises tomorrow. His poor sensitive baby skin.

            “Grandma!!! Grandma please!!!”

            Chanyeol dodged like a ninja, but apparently his Grandma could always find a spot of his body to hit like a professional assassin, whether it was on his arm, head, or even . The humiliation only stopped after Chanyeol got to hide behind Yoora, shoving his giant of body on the back of her smaller frame with only his head timidly peeking from behind her shoulder.

            “I swear, Park Chanyeol,” Grandma Park gave up, opting to inhale a heavy tortured breathe. “You can’t run away from me next time!!!”

 

***

 

             The three of them ended up in the dining room around an hour and half later to hav an early breakfast. Yoora placed three plates of fried rice, a bowl of heated japcae and a plate of Chanyeol’s favorite bacon on the table before sat across her tall cousin, with Grandma Park seated on the head of the table.

            “Seohyun is a very nice girl!” the old lady still shooting laser onto Chanyeol’s direction, bringing the same topic for the nth time within the same hour Chanyeol sat there, only was able to stare at the empty table sullenly while the sizzling sound of Yoora’s cooking being the sad soundtrack for him. “Now tell me what lacks of her?! She is pretty! She has nice body! Polite! And she goes to church and prays every week! She also always join charity event and likes to help old people like me! Old people who you don’t even care!”

            “Grandma!” Chanyeol couldn’t help back. His grandmother always pulling that pity card. “How could you say things like that?! I care about you, though.”

            “Then why didn’t you come?!”

            “I’m busy, Granny. There was extra works to do, my scary boss Kris won’t let me get out of his office alive if I didn’t finish it!” Okay maybe a little exaggerating and a little white lie wouldn’t hurt?

            “I told you to quiet working there. You can help me with the restaurant or doing something with your grandfather’s left!”

            “You know I can’t,” Chanyeol’s pout being even more prominent on his lips now, with the incessant nagging, he was sure he would never know how to smile ever again. “I am not interesting with restaurant business, Grandma. I want to build my own advertising company.”

            “Keep on dreaming! Your stupid idealism won’t help you,” Grandma Park scoffed, her raised chin challenging Chanyeol to rebut. “You’re not getting any younger, Park Chanyeol! You need to start your own family!”

 

***

 

            “Baekhyun! Let’s go now! What took you so long?!”

            Baekhyun snapped from his half-asleep state, his slim fingers quickly resuming buttoning his baby blue shirt. He quickly rechecked his appearance in the mirror, making sure his hair didn’t look like he was running from a marathon and got a happy family of birds nestled on it, and to make sure his eyebags didn’t look too visible. After the revelation last night, after how his mother cursed and how he sobbed himself onto his pillow, now how- how could he even get a sleep?!

            Rubbing the sleepiness off his eyes, Baekhyun made his steps out of his room and toward their front door only to be surprised by the sight of his mother with her cleanest and newest dress, a scarf around her neck, thin make up on and a clutch bag in her hand. Luhan quickly emerged from his room as well, all skinny jeans, cardigan and sunglasses on. Baekhyun frowned at the sight of them.

            “Where are the two of you going?”

            “What else do you think? To meet the father of your baby.”

            Within a splash of second, Baekhyun’s eyes successfully widen in what looked like an attempt to pop out from their sockets. To meet the father of my baby? His brain went haywire trying to process the information. To meet the FATHER of my baby?!

            “Whaaat? But moooom you can’t“ he stuttered, feeling the need to inhale as much as oxygen and calm himself down before he could talk again. “You can’t just tail me into my workplace and call out like that! Everyone will know!”

          “Baekhyun, you are not the one to protest! And who says we are going to your workplace? Luhan!”

            The confusion was evidence in Baekhyun’s face, along with the horrified expression as Luhan came to their mother sides. The Chinese guy he was not from her blood like Baekhyun was, but they were like partners in crime ever since Baekhyun’s mother married Luhan’s father, a plump Chinese man who passed away due to heart failure just few years after their marriage. Luhan, however, looking to cheerful beside their mother for someone who just got his little brother pregnant with an unknown man.

            “Luhan, what was his name again?”

            Quickly, Luhan scrambled through his smartphone. “It’s Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol!”

            “How was he like?”

            “He’s very tall and so handsome!” He chirped, again, too cheerful. Almost looking proud, he happily showed his phone screen to Yoonhye. “185 cm! Black hair and baby face. And… OMG LOOK AT THAT Y NOSE! AND HE HAS DIMPLE OMG OMG!!!”

            Baekhyun rolled his eyes at Luhan who suspiciously seemed like busy squealing over what suspiciously Baekhyun assumed as Chanyeol’s picture. Handsome who? Handsome where? Handsome HOW?!!

            “Enough!” Their mother cut in before Luhan started rolling on the floor while kissing his phone. “Now, give me his address.”

 

            ***

            The cab dropped the three of them in front of a big house with a huge gate just right around the corner of the street in that such elite neighborhood. Yoonhye looked at it with mouth slightly agaped, eyes swiftly drifting from the piece of paper she was holding and the big number attached on the left side of the gate back and forth, trying to match them.

            It was indeed the same address.

            “Oh is he wealthy?”

            “Woaaah Baekhyunee! You hit the jackpot!” Luhan hastily pulled his sunglasses away and squealed like a school girl. “It’s worth it to get pregnant with such a rich handsome young man! I mean rich handsome tall young m--“ he stopped abruptly, however, the second he realized he was being glared to death by his step mother and step brother. For once, they were in unison against him. Wow, Cinderella must have known his feeling right now. Poor Lulurella, Luhan mentally patted his own back.

            “Come on, Baekhyun!” Yoonhye shoved the paper back into her bag and grabbed on Baekhyun’s wrist. “We must ask for their responsibility to the baby in your tummy!”

            “What?! Nooooo!!!” Baekhyun tried to root in place, holding tight onto the street lamp pole for dear life as his mother dragged him.

 

***

 

            There was the nagging sound of the doorbell just as Chanyeol devoured his fifth pancake that he claimed would be the last one. Yoora, who just went to the sink to place down her dirty plate poked her head and mumbled “I’ll go check” before quickly shuffling toward the door.

The knocking on the door and bell ringing however were incessant, as if the person on the other side there would die if she was being late opening the door by a second. So by the time she reached there, the young slim girl just swing the mahogany door open without peeking through the keyhole. Her dropped a little to find three strangers standing before her; a beautiful middle-aged woman and two relatively short, yet good looking boys who she was pretty sure she had never seen before.

            “Hello?” She asked hesitantly, taking in that three people in front of her looking rather harmless and decided to offer a polite “May I help you?”           

The woman standing in the middle raised her chin and stepped a little forward, hand grabbing onto the wrist of a fragile-looking boy who seemed too scared to look at Yoora for longer than half a second and opted to cast his eyes down on his shoes.

            “Does Chanyeol live here?”

            That’s new. Chanyeol wasn’t the type of kid who would get into trouble, except with their grandmother but that was another case. What did the kid do? Did he walk sleepily after work and accidentally stumbled onto someone’s car and broke it? She thought with eyebrows slightly raised. That was likely the most possible law-breaking her cousin could have done. “Hmm yeah. What do you want of him?”

            “Who is that, Yoora-ya?”

            Before the strange woman could blabber the reason why they were looking for Chanyeol, came Grandma Park, chirping behind Yoora with Chanyeol on her heels. The tall giant boy looked sleepy of all things, eyes half closed with a hand ruffling his already messy hair and the other one rubbing his slightly stick-out stomach. That was until his eyes met the sight of Byun Baekhyun standing in his doorstep and Chanyeol completely froze in his spot.

            No way. There’s no way Byun Baekhyun is here!

            Yet, he was here. Like, for real.

            They locked gaze, and Chanyeol expected him to say something. Except, it was the woman next to Baekhyun who spoke. A single horror sentence that turned Chanyeol’s life upside down in less than thirty seconds.

            “Are you Park Chanyeol who made my son pregnant?!”

            And freeze even more Chanyeol would, if only he was able to the moment all eyes fell on him.

 

***

 

            “You are…” Grandma Park trained her eagle eyes on the small guy sitting across the table, hands shaking in his lap. There all were seated down now in the living room. Yoora also managed to get everyone a glass of orange juice or plain water and a jar of cookies, none of them touched as the tension thick in the air, consuming everyone.

“…. Pregnant?” She asked for the second time, disbelief was evident in her voice.

            The whole room fell silent again as all eyes not so secretly stared at Baekhyun who wasn’t interested to return any gaze sent his way. He only fiddled more with his slim fingers and nodded ever so lightly.

            “With... this...,” she continues, still sounded too shocked as she pointed at her only grandson who sat right between her and his cousin, Yoora. While Baekhyun, Luhan and their mother were on the opposite side. “…. with this jerk kid?”

            Again, Baekhyun nodded while smacking his lips together. The room suddenly fell into an eerie silence.

            Once, though, Baekhyun eyes flickered up and met with Chanyeols. His face was just as pale as his, if not worst. Terrific was clear on his expression with big eyes bewildered.  Chanyeol glanced at his grandmother’s frozen state and shut his eyes closed. Already he could imagine all the harm he might get the moment Grandma Park regained her sense back. He got his ears pulled countless times (and that shall explaine a lot about why his ears stick out like some lost elf). He got his smacked by the broom almost just as many (that also explained why his flat like his life, well, or so he made himself believe, he could have y perky if only his grandmother was a calm and nice one). His head got smacked millionth times and that was why, why Chanyeol kept stumbling on his feet and tripped on the air! Something must be wrong with his nerves after all those harms.

            And if you ever think of escaping from Grandma Park, that was a big fat mistake.

            So learning from experience, Chanyeol just sat there, bracing himself as he wait for his grandmother purse, vase or anything to hit his head but seconds tickled and nothing happened.

            Then, a long screech filled in the air. Chanyeol soon being engulfed in an erupted hug as Grandma Park showered his head with kisses.

            “OH MY GOD CHANYEOL YOU ARE A GROWN UP MAN NOW I CAN’T BELIEVE!!! OH MY….,” she exasperatedly sighed, full of content. “I’M SO PROUD OF YOU, CHANYEOL! YOU JUST MADE HIM— HAAAHHH I GO TO TEMPLE EVERYDAY PRAYING FOR YOU AND NOW GOD FINALLY ANSWER MY PRAYER! I’M GOING TO HAVE GREAT GRANDCHILD! I CAN DIE IN PEACE NOW!”

            Chanyeol dropped his jaw. Baekhyun choked on his saliva. It was the turn to both of them to share the look of disbelief now. Because, what the did just happen?!

 

***



A/N: Update because I just wanna say that I'm happy that Blooming Days lyric goes "Can I be your boyfriend, can I?" instead of "Can you be my girlfriend" HAHAHAHA SO BAEK CAN ALWAYS SEDUCE YEOL WITH THAT *slapped*

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY OH SEHUN OMG HE GROWN UP SO WELL, OUR BABY ;; EOMMA IS PROUD!!!

PS: I'm sorry I was stuck ;; PLEASE COMMENT I WOULD LOVE THAT. TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. XOXO

 

April 11th, 2018

special_nay