The Dinner

Hiraeth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You should apologize to her properly,” a tall guy walked to another one who was now sitting on the bed, taking a seat next to him. “Her name is Bae Joohyun but I don’t know which major she’s in, probably a year or two years above.”

“What did I do, Jongin?” the guy who just woke up turned his head to Jongin, rubbing his sleepy eyes. His head was heavy.

“What did you do? You don’t remember at all, Chanyeol?”

The shirtless Chanyeol shook his head, grabbing a plain shirt near him then wearing it. “I didn’t physically hurt her, right?”

“I don’t know if this is considered as “physically” hurting but you bumped her until she fell on the floor then you spilt your beer on her sweater and got her wet,” Jongin handed him a bowl of Haejangguk, a hangover soup, he just bought this soup from the local restaurant. “Eat this.”

Chanyeol stared at the soup blankly, still trying to remember what happened to him last night. As far as his mind could recall, he was dead tired then went to a bar with Jongin to get some drinks. But the next story was all blur. He never expected that the short escape that he thought would help him ended up causing a mess.

“Bae Joohyun?” Chanyeol lifted his chin up, looking at Jongin.

“Yes, the crowd caught us so I didn’t get to know more,” Jongin got up, grabbing his phone. The Rebels’ popularity had been heard all around the college and this was actually a good time to promote their new upcoming album. But the members chose not to go public and stay away from society before the album was really released. Keep in low profile, they said.

“Can I borrow your phone, please?” Chanyeol extended his long arm.

Jongin lifted his eyebrows but still gave his phone to the older. “What are you going to do?”

“I’ll find her,” the older then opened Korea University official page, searching for students’ list. “Is this her?” Chanyeol lifted the phone to Jongin after seeing a photo of a young woman with brownish curly hair.

Jongin furrowed his eyebrows a little. “I think so. But she looks prettier in person.”

Chanyeol blinked a couple of times, “she in this photo is pretty though,” he stared at the screen one more time, “she looks like a smartass. Finding her is gonna be a hard thing to do,” Chanyeol let out a sigh before scooping the soup.

“She’s probably going to the library every time,” Jongin grabbed his phone back, checking some unread messages. “Spend your day in the library, if you’re lucky enough you’ll meet her.”

“Jongin, it’s Saturday,” Chanyeol swallowed the soup, tasting a bit sour in it but ignoring it, “is the library even open at weekends?”

Jongin looked at him with furrowed eyebrows, flicking the drummer’s temple. “It’s open twenty-four per seven, you dummy.”

Chanyeol slapped Jongin’s hand. “You’re going with me right?”

“Spending the day in the library?” Jongin repeated, slightly surprised.

Chanyeol nodded in response, blinking as if trying to act cute. “Last night was crazy and I don’t really remember how this Bae Joohyun-ssi’s face, so, please?”

“Well, fine then. It’s because I have nothing to do this weekend.”

Jongin mentally kept a note to himself for not keeping Chanyeol company to go to the library. He also reminded himself that the decision he took this morning was one of the biggest mistakes he had ever done. Park Chanyeol might be a cold and calm guy but when it came to the library he was nothing but a 5-year-old kid seeing a thousand books for the first time, literally. Jongin started wondering when the last time Chanyeol actually went to a library to read books.

This morning Jongin already got shushed by the librarian thrice since Chanyeol couldn’t shut his mouth every time he saw something amusing.

“I think I understand why you’re sticking as a drummer,” Jongin sipped his iced tea calmly.

Chanyeol chuckled, biting on his fish cakes, “I just thought about it.” They two were now in the cafeteria in the basement since this was the only safe place for Loud Chanyeol.

“Anyway, what if we don’t meet that Bae Joohyun here?” Jongin changed the topic, eyeing a girl who was ordering food.

“We just arrived less than an hour and we haven’t gone around the whole building.”

“What if she really doesn’t go to the library?”

“Then we’ll find in other places.”

“We?!” Jongin furrowed his eyebrows in disbelief. Now he really regretted this decision.

“Yes, you said that you would–”

“Chanyeol!” Jongin interrupted, his head following a woman’s direction that’s leaving the cafeteria. Chanyeol turned his head. “I think that girl who just left is Bae Joohyun.”

“Are you seri–” before Chanyeol could finish his sentence, Jongin already got up. The older quickly followed him, leaving his food on the table. “Wait, wait.”

The tall guys made their way out, only to be stopped by the crowd once they opened the door. Jongin looked around to find the girl in an orange shirt he just saw a few seconds ago, Chanyeol tiptoed to see through the crowd. He wasn’t sure what he was looking for right now.

“I think we lost her,” Jongin concluded, sighing.

“I left the fish cakes I just bought,” Chanyeol rolled his eyes.

Jongin gulped invisible saliva, glancing over the computer near the front door. It had a not-so-long queue. “Wait, do people check in every time they enter this library?”

“What’s with that?”

Jongin immediately made his way to the queue and got into the line, Chanyeol followed. He was now thinking that finding someone in a check-in computer sounded impossible since public computers didn’t share about anyone’s whereabouts, or basically anyone’s information.

“You know what, it was only a minor accident,” Chanyeol suddenly snapped when Jongin was about to type a name. “Did Bae Joohyun-ssi even take it seriously? She knows that something like that happens, right? We’re wasting our time here.”

“She’s here,” Jongin cut off, showing the result on the screen. He didn’t believe himself that the computer told information about people’s detailed check-ins and checkouts. “She was here nine minutes ago, she absolutely still in this library.”

Chanyeol blinked several times at what he was seeing now. It was kind of hard to believe that the computer in the library actually told information about someone else. “Okay, let’s find her,” the drummer finally decided.

Finding one person in a huge building with 5 floors sounded very impossible. But Chanyeol thought that it was better finding one person in one building than finding one person in the whole campus, or worse, in the whole town. Whilst looking around every floor, Chanyeol quietly declared himself that his responsibility level just went up. A few minutes ago he told himself that the mess he did was a minor accident but now he was looking for impossibility.

“I think that’s her,” Jongin whispered after controlling his breath. It’d been more than twenty minutes the two spent half of their stamina to look around the building. They were now on the 4th floor.

“Where?”

Jongin pointed to a girl who was reading a book on the corner. He was actually not a hundred percent sure but the brownish hair the girl had reminded him of the girl Chanyeol bumped last night. They finally made their way to the girl.

“B-Bae Joohyun-ssi?” Chanyeol briefly started, biting his bottom lip in anticipation.

The girl stopped reading before lifting her chin up to see who was the one standing across the table. “Yes?”

Just like rainbows after terrible hurricanes in the morning, both Chanyeol and Jongin couldn’t believe that the impossible thing they decided this morning was not impossible at all. It seemed like they finally reached the highest place of the mountain after a very long journey.

“Bae Joohyun-ssi?” Chanyeol repeated, only to make sure that the beautiful girl was the right person.

“Yes?” the girl closed the book carefully, pushing the chair back as if she was ready to run away any time soon.

“Wait, no,” Chanyeol who was aware quickly stopped, “My name’s Chanyeol. I was the guy who accidentally spilt the drink on you,” he patted Jongin’s shoulder, the younger looked too impressed that he got nothing to say. “Remember him?”

It took a few seconds for the girl to reply with a firm smile, “oh, yes, um, hello?”

Chanyeol quietly returned the smile, feeling proud of himself over the achievement. He scanned the girl from head to toe as if asking himself why the heck he spilt a drink on her. And he also finally knew the answer to the clouding question in his mind about how Bae Joohyun really looked in person since Jongin said she was prettier in person.

And Jongin didn’t lie.

“Anyway, I’d like to apologize for making trouble last night,” Chanyeol continued, delivering a deep bow.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter