The Second Scar

Hiraeth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you ready? I’m on my way to your apartment.”

“Okay,” a tall guy in a light blue shirt—it seemed like this was the first time in forever for him to wear something other than a hoodie—and long jeans ended the call, staring at his own reflection from head to toe. He felt different if he had to be honest.

The guy walked to the couch, taking a seat. Today was Friday, and the reason why he marked this date wasn’t that he had a date or something. But he had something bigger than that which he’d always hoped for years.

He grabbed his phone to send a message to someone: “Joohyun, I’m going to meet my family now, wish me luck. I wish you could come with me.”

The reply came in a while: “Good luck, Chanyeol! *two smiling emojis* And I’m sorry I can’t come. I’m having a morning class in Friday *three crying emojis* I know it but please text me once you’ve finished, okay?”

The guy only smiled softly reading the message. Right at the time, the front doorbell rang. Chanyeol got up, making his way to the front door to open it.

A guest who visited him two days ago flashed a smile once the younger guy’s face was seen. She wore a white dress down to her knees. Her short hair was combed perfectly.

“You look so great, Chanyeol-ah,” she admitted, “are you sure you don’t have a girlfriend?”

“Nobody wants to date me, Noona,” Chanyeol chuckled a little before closing the door.

“I doubt that.”

The Park siblings then left the apartment, going to the basement where the older woman’s car was parked. Soon the white BMW left the basement, heading to the town where Chanyeol recently tried to forget its path.

The car stopped in front of a European style house, it was actually not just a regular house because the building had a floor of up to four, so it was better called a mansion. The front 12 feet gate was opened after the driver, Park Yoora, showed up her identity card. The car moved in, passing the front park.

“It didn’t change much here,” Chanyeol commented, looking around the surrounding where he used to spend his time back then.

Park Yoora giggled, driving to the front canopy. “It’s more Hi-Tech here, Chanyeol-ah. We don’t need more guards for the gate.”

The car stopped at the entrance of the mansion. Two men in suits opened the car door, letting both Chanyeol and Park Yoora get out of it. They headed, to the huge living room with most of the furniture was made of gold. It all was imported from Europe and America. The ceiling was higher than ever and there was a balcony on the second floor that faced the living room. Many big photos were framed all over the walls, some of them were Chanyeol’s individual photos that were taken when he was younger.

Chanyeol looked around the house. He remembered how he used to play hide and seek with his cousins here and never got caught. This house was like a castle for him back then and he said he was the prince.

Stupid, his mind whispered over the memories.

They entered a ballroom where a set of dining tables was placed. Another young woman rushed to both Chanyeol and Park Yoora when the two appeared.

“Chanyeol, my brother,” she hugged the tall guy tightly, whispering into his ear, “I missed you so much.”

Chanyeol stopped his track for a while before whispering in return, “hello, Yoori Noona.”

The woman who looked exactly the same as Park Yoora pulled away slightly to radiate a smile. Unlike her twin who had short hair, Park Yoori let her long hair fall on her shoulders. She looked younger even though both of them were the same age.

“You can’t be taller than this, Chanyeol,” she said, patting Chanyeol’s board shoulders.

Chanyeol only pulled the corner of his lips to form a simple smile. His eyes then caught a presence of an old man in a black suit sitting on one of the chairs. His smile immediately disappeared as the man got off his seat.

“Good morning, my son,” he walked towards them, extending arms. “Who wants a daddy’s huggie? You used to want that a lot when you were five, remember?”

“No, I’m fine,” Chanyeol looked away, “where’s my mother?”

“...and you’re supposed to answer ‘me, come to me, Appa’ and run to hug me.”

“Where’s my mother?” Chanyeol repeated in a higher voice.

“She’ll come in a while,” Park Jooyeol flashed a smile, placing his hands behind his back.

“Let’s take a seat whilst waiting for her to come,” Park Yoori suggested, dragging the younger guy to the seat next to her. The others followed to take their own.

“Chanyeol-ah, we’re cooking your favourite soup for this breakfast,” Park Yoori told him. Miyeok Guk, remember?”

“Ah, thank you,” Chanyeol whispered, “I haven’t eaten that for a while now.”

“Okay, while we’re waiting for the food to be served, what about we tell each other how we’re doing so far?” Park Yoori, the one who looked most excited, suggested. Both Park Yoora and Park Jooyeol nodded. “Yoora, you start.”

“Why me?”

“Because you’re the oldest here,” Park Yoori stuck her tongue out to the twin.

“Yoori-ah, you forgot about me?” The father interrupted, chuckling a little.

“Ah, Appa– Appa doesn’t count,” Park Yoori grinned sheepishly before turning her head to the twin. “Come on, Yoora.”

“Okay, okay,” Park Yoora cleared as if going to tell a long story. “Well, I was promoted last week to be the friendliest dentist in the hospital,” she stopped for a while, looking at everyone. “And Appa, you’re going to be a harabeoji soon.”

“Oh my God,” Park Yoori squealed. “For real?”

Park Yoora nodded, trying her best to control her emotion. “I just took a test yesterday. The bump is already two months old.”

The Park Father also tried his best not to cry, he looked very touched over the news. “Ah, I’m getting old.”

“Congratulations, Noona,” Chanyeol whispered calmly, smiling. He saw that things really went fast. Only a few years ago he was the youngest person in the family, now a new one would be born.

“Oh, oh, samchoon Chanyeol,” Park Yoori exclaimed, “doesn’t that sound good on you, Chanyeol?” Chanyeol only chuckled in return.

“Okay, now, it’s your turn, Yoori-ah,” the older twin stated.

“Yoori, when will you give me the same announcement?”

“Ah, Appa,” Park Yoori whined. “I’m not ready to have a bump for months.”

The Appa chuckled, shaking his head, “fine, don’t force yourself if you’re not ready. If you have a baby, you’ll be more childish.”

Park Yoori only grinned. Right at this moment, a group of people in an apron walked into the room, carrying some trays.

“Oh, the food is coming,” Park Yoori clapped her hands in excitement, “okay, let’s continue that later, eating first.”

The table was set in a short time. Chanyeol looked at the way the chefs leaving the room in mild confusion. He then looked at the other family members, “is my mother not joining the breakfast?”

“Oh, right, where’s Eomma?” Park Yoori turned her head to the father. “I haven’t seen her too since I came here.”

“This better be not one of your fool tricks, Park Jooyeol,” Chanyeol suddenly snapped.

“Chanyeol!” Park Yoora stopped her, “you can’t say that to your father,” she then looked at the father, “Appa, is Eomma still needing more time? We can’t start eating if she doesn’t come.”

“She’ll come, Yoora-ah, she said to skip the breakfast without her,” Park Jooyeol replied, making a serious expression.

“That’s ridiculous,” Chanyeol commented calmly. “What kind of family breakfast if there’s still one seat left?”

“Chanyeol,” Park Yoori whispered, placing a hand on her brother’s lap. “It’s not nice to say things like that in front of food,” she flashed a smile. “Let’s eat first, shall we?”

Chanyeol let out a long sigh, “fine, happy eating,” he scooped the soup, shoving it into his mouth. He tried so hard not to explode with anger even though he really wanted to.

“I’m full, thank you for the food,” Chanyeol announced two minutes later. He grabbed some tissues to wipe his mouth, squinting his eyes to the father who was also intensely staring back at him.

“Yoora Noona, Yoori Noona, I have an announcement,” Chanyeol crossed his arms over his chest, making the twin sisters turn their heads to the youngest, “so about two weeks ago, Abeoji came to me to beat me up. I got scars all over my face.”

“What?” Park Yoori furrowed her eyebrows.

“Excuse me?” Park Jooyeol raised his voice up.

“He came to the campus, punching and kicking my body, mostly my face, and then I was left numb,” Chanyeol pointed to his face, glaring at his father.

“Park Chanyeol!” now the father yelled, making the two daughters shocked.

“What’s going on here?” Park Yoora stopped, “Appa, what happened?”

“There was an article on the internet, written by Park Chanyeol, saying that his father corrupted most of the stock in the company,” with trembling voice, Park Jooyeol explained. His hands were ready to slam the table anytime.

“What?!” Chanyeol’s eyes widened, eyebrows were knitted, honestly, was shocked upon the reason. “And you punched me for that? I didn’t even write that stupid article. Why did I even care about your company?”

“That was you!”

“Come on! If anyone, that must be your rivals or maybe that was your own idea as an excuse to punch me that evening,” Chanyeol pointed his finger to his father which was very rude, “I believe that was only an excuse. You didn’t even mention anything about a stupid article about your stupid company.”

The atmosphere got hotter, none of the ot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter