Prologue

Hiraeth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A beautiful hand ran through a white album photo, the fingertips caressing each photo as if they were connected. Pages by pages were flipped, revealing many moments of a family in a garden, a museum, a park, even in a dining room. No frowns were ever found in the photos.

“Missing them, eh?” A soft warming voice was heard, followed by a touch on the shoulders.

“Ah, Halmeonni,” the younger lady who was holding the album photo flinched a little, looking up to see the face of the older one. “Yes, I really missed them.”

“Do you want some hot chocolate, Joohyun-ah?”

“No, I’m good,” the younger called Joohyun shook her head, massaging the grandma’s hand on her shoulder. She got off the couch, placing the album photo on the shelf. “I think I’m going now.”

“Eh? Right now? I thought you were gonna stay until dinner?” the older woman who was known as Bae Ahyoung lifted her eyebrows, looking a bit confused.

Joohyun shot a sweet smile before wrapping her arms around grandma’s body, “No, Halmeonni, I still have a lot to do. But I promise I’ll be here at the weekend.”

Bae Ahyoung only patted her only granddaughter’s back, smiling. “Then I’ll make the best kimbap at the weekend.”

Joohyun giggled, pulling away slightly. “Call me if you need anything, okay, Halmeonni? You got my number.”

“Of course, my dear,” Bae Ahyoung patted the girl’s cheeks, still having a sweet smile on her wrinkly face. “You now really sound like Jaehwan.”

Joohyun couldn’t help but let out a short chuckle, “I’m going now, Halmeonni. See you at the weekend.”

Joohyun pulled away after her grandma nodded. After waving a goodbye she made her way out, getting herself a local bus to the station. Busan might be a large city but her grandma’s house was in nothing but a small village in a suburban area. It took half of an hour from the station to the village. And sometimes if you're not lucky enough you’ll have to be standing in the bus since there are no longer seats left.

Joohyun took a seat, getting sandwiched between two old women from the market. She hugged her bag and lets out a sigh, feeling a bit sleepy. She hardly kept her eyes open whilst occasionally hugging her bag more tightly, letting her ears catch some incoherent conversation.

Her name’s Bae Joohyun. She was twenty-first years old and currently studying law at Korea University in Seoul, in her second year now. The old woman she visited a few hours ago was her grandmother from her father. Joohyun didn’t really like talking about her parents since they had left the young girl when she was twelve. She told herself to let the good memories live in her heart and leave the bad ones in England, the land she spent 18 years and a half of her life. Not much information about her since she herself wasn’t an open book.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter