Risk Department Meetings

☆゚. * Summer's Secret Garden * ・ 。゚

//\\

Day 7: Risk Department Meeting

Irene:
Thursday 6:32 PM
Hey- I heard you didn’t go with the others back home today. Are you okay?

Chanyeol:
Thursday 7:42 PM
Ahh? Who told you that? I’m fine. In a bowling club that meets every thursday, so I had to go to a different place.

Irene wasn’t convinced. Too perfect of a coincidence. But she went along with it, too relieved seeing that he seemed fine to care much about anything else.

Irene:
Thursday 7:50 PM
Alright~ I wanted to catch you to apologize for what I’d said earlier. Make-up lunch tomorrow?

Chanyeol:
Thursday 7:52 PM
Silly Hyun-ah. It’s fine.
Thursday 7:53 PM
But apology accepted. I’ll make reservations for lunch tomorrow! Me, you. 2 spots.

 

Irene chuckled. He put way too much emphasis on the “just them two” aspect. She set her phone down and thought to the small lunch date happily, then mentally slapped herself out of it. Are you a high school student?!

---

“I think she should come,” repeated Sehun, firmly holding on to Irene’s arm, who just desperately wanted to have an invisible coat on. She could tell that nosy coworkers were dying to get a share of this huge piece of gossip: Sehun, standing up against the manager for someone, oh even better, she just so happens to be the scandalous new intern. The manager shrugged, looking away from Sehun’s sharp and perhaps insolent gaze. He didn’t want to cause a scene, not with such a project that needed full team support to be completed. Manager Kim’s a smart man: though he himself is self-absorbed and demands absolute respect from his underlings, he does know when to step down, and his instincts are telling him this is one of such times. Sehun’s no doubt a key player that he needed on his team for this project. Manager Kim looked at Irene with narrowed eyes. “Fine. 1:00 PM sharp in the Conference Room A. Prepare for the most instructive meeting you probably have ever been in. And don’t interrupt, even if you can’t keep up.”

Irene bit back a retaliation. She let out her frustrations at Sehun when the manager left and the department coworkers went back to focus on their tasks. "What did you do make a scene for?! He’s right, I probably don’t know enough, and I wouldn’t have minded if I didn’t attend," she hissed.

"It’s probably the best opportunity you can get here. You should be thanking me." Not bothering to wait for her response, he stalked back to his desk and sat down.

Irene stormed to the water break room, walking right by Taehyung who left a greeting hand hanging mid air, surprised at her temper. He followed her to the break room. "Irene?" She couldn’t help bitterly regretting her decision to transfer to risk. Wouldn’t it be better to just pass a peaceful few days in operations with V and Chanyeol? But no, she just had to act all tough and tackle a department that is frankly too much for her to handle. V waited patiently for a response but didn’t get one. Gave an understanding little smile. He fumbled around for his phone, then pulled it out, shooting an email at Chanyeol.

 

Kim Taehyung
12:12 PM
Yeol. Send the department a notice, I won’t be in office for around an hour. Questions will be addressed at the department meeting.

Chanyeol
12:13 PM
Got you.

 

“Okay, come on now,” smiled Taehyung, redirecting his attention at Irene. "I need a coffee break, you’re invited." Irene stood still, wearing a sullen face. No way she’s going back to her cubicle now, but she doesn’t want to be around Taehyung, either. She wanted to be alone. "Do I need to call Chanyeol to persuade you?"

"No," she immediately snapped. "I’ll go."

"Let’s see… does it have to do with the department meeting?"

She nodded. No point in hiding, Taehyung always seems to just know anyways.

"Okay… Kim didn’t let you attend?" he prodded.

She bit on . "Right. Well, initially. Until Sehun decided it would just be great to cause a whole scene trying to shove me in a meeting where I probably don't belong."

He looked at her, face serious. "And, do you really not want to be at the meeting?"

Irene was about to shoot back a yes, obviously, but took a deep breath and calmed down, then shook her head. He regained his smile. "We’re going to Costa. Tell me more about it over coffee. My treat."

---

He listened thoughtfully as Irene voiced her frustrations, eyes reddening as she got worked up. A pause, as he thought about how to best react. "Irene, the most important thing in life is effort. Maybe it doesn’t work out… but at least you tried to pursue something you want." Irene felt a single tear escape her large eyes, not managing to muster a response.

"The most precious time for you is now," he continued, dabbing at her eyes with tissue. He’s growing fonder of this girl- she reminded him of the years when he just entered the company: sensitive, delicate, naive. Hurt by colleagues who acted too different for the young and inexperienced newcomer to comprehend. "All the opportunities are given to those who have prepared themselves well. The harder you work, the luckier you are- is what Sehun would say. Hey…" he soothed, turning her head to face him when she looked around at the people who curiously stared at the pretty girl that cried her eyes out. Probably wondering if she just got dumped.

"Seriously, I’m glad it’s me here with you,' he winked a little. "I don’t know what cheesy things Chanyeol would muster instead, but I think you should feel thankful for this experience. Every step that trips you helps in the future. I respect Sehun, very much. Everyone functions differently and he was wrong in forcing you. Tell you something though, he probably really didn’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable. It was just a nudge- maybe too hard for your liking- in what he feels like is the best direction for you. And I agree with him, though I wouldn’t handle it exactly the way he did." He frowned a little. "I’ll need to have a little talk with him. That must’ve been hard for you."

"No, really, it’s okay…" said Irene. She gets his reasoning, and deep down she knows Sehun means well. It’s just that… that made her feel even worse.

"Sometimes, you find yourself surrounded by people," he continued thoughtfully. "People you think are too good: better, or cooler, or more privileged, for whatever reason. Yes?" Irene nodded. He understood her exact sentiments. “But Irene, you make people feel the same way, do you realize that? You’re beautiful, articulate, educated. We all like you- Rin said you were the best assistant she’d had for ages- that includes people of working age, you haven’t even graduated university. A few days ago when the three of had an organized lunch meeting, Sehun told me that was one of his happiest work days. Tao said he never saw an intern as bright as you are, and Chanyeol. Well, you know that he only ever had praises for you. What more could you ask for? Don’t feel like you have to be rough like Sehun to succeed in life. I mean," he chuckled, "look at me!"

---

"Okay, silly girl. I'll wait for you outside, go freshen up."

Irene pushed through the restroom doors. She washed her face and let down her hair. Stepped out again. "Thanks for the healing session," she smiled, pretty much back to her normal state.

"What? That was just a coffee break."

"If you always take hour-long coffee breaks, you'd probably be long fired," she pointed out.

"You know, I don't know what I was worried for. You are pretty much on the same level ruthlessness as Sehun."

She smiled. "My coping mechanism."

---

Sehun had his arms draped over a chair he reserved for Irene. A makeup gesture: he suspected that she’s probably mad at him, judging from her reaction earlier. He waited for her to come back to the cubicle, barely managing to focus on his task, yet she hadn’t returned, and he was pulled to the meeting by Tao. “It’s okay, I’ll save her a seat!” he’d said.

“No. I’ll do that.”

Tao rolled his eyes. “Talk about taking things literally…”

Irene swiftly entered the conference room, then headed to Tao, who was waving at her excitedly. Sehun pushed the chair to her. She took it, nodding at him in grateful acknowledgement. A temporary truce was created, both of them realized, the moment their eyes met.  

“What?” she whispered when he didn’t break his eye contact.

“You look nicer with your hair down,” he said, glaring at Tao as he snickered.

“Ah… thanks.” A pause, as she considered why he was suddenly sweet-talking her. “You don’t have to feel guilty. I didn’t know what was best for me and didn’t control my emotions well. Thanks for this opportunity at this meeting.” She then turned away, not waiting for his response, and directed her attention at a notebook she’d bought with her.

The little pick-me-up session with Taehyung left Irene with a burning determination to prove Manager Kim wrong. She took notes assiduously, trying to maneuver her way through the tough presentation. Sehun kept his eyes fixed on the presentation, but sometimes trailed over to look at her. By the end of the presentation, she had already five pages of finely recorded notes. She grudgingly admitted that the meeting was indeed instructive, probably a great loss had she not attended it. Irene stood dazed behind Tao as they waited for the people to file out of the conference room, thinking of lunch with Chanyeol. Tao stumbled back a little from the jostling, and Irene shied away from the giant, straight into Sehun’s chest. He jumped and held out his hands, then froze, not knowing if he dared to put them on her shoulders. Fortunately she quickly shifted away, and he let his hands fall.

“Sorry,” she grimaced as she turned to face him.

He shook his head quickly.

“Are you eating with Chanyeol today?” Tao asked.

“Mmmhmm.”

“Sure?” Sehun suddenly into the conversation.

“Yes,” she said a little impatiently. What does that question even mean?

Not that Irene minded eating with flower man, but he was acting a little too homey recently. Besides, she was a bit embarrassed from her previous tantrum. She didn’t feel quite herself when she is with him, didn’t exactly know how to deal with him. So she treated his case as an annoyance that she’ll have to deal with eventually, just not quite yet. Keeping this line of reasoning in mind, Irene waved goodbye to Sehun and Tao, then headed straight for Chanyeol’s cubicle.

---

He was waiting patiently for her.

“Hey, Baechu.” His bored expression morphed into a warm smile. Irene rolled her eyes a little. She was beginning to suspect that he has some sort of secret contact with Seulgi- he always manages to make up nicknames that Seulgi loved calling her by. “I’m so hungry… your department goes hardcore for meetings- a full hour!”

His large hands closed on her small ones, and he gave an inviting pull. “Ready?” She nodded. They ran into Rin on the way to the elevator, and he rapidly let go of her hand. Irene breathed out. Rin looked at the two suspiciously, then flicked Chanyeol on his head. “Stop hogging Irene. I want to eat with her too!”

He laughed. “Some other day, today is special for just us two.”

“Careful there- especially in the office,” said Rin, tone changing. Irene was suddenly reminded of the infinite scariness of the HR head. Rin is the go-to, all-knowing big sister for problems, but she is also involved in firings, denominations, and other adverse outcomes. She is, Irene knew, extremely tough under that warm exterior. Irene shivered a little and noticed Chanyeol do the same.

“Got it, it was a joke,” he murmured.

Rin regained her warm smile. “Well, have a good lunch.”

Once in the safety of the elevator, Chanyeol turned to Irene and bent to rest his head on her shoulders. “Rin can be so scary….” he said weakly.

She laughed and tugged at his hair. “Move it, so heavy!”

He stepped back to observe her. “I feel like I haven’t had alone time with you in ages,” he began softly.

Irene stepped out of the elevator. “Mmm. I feel the same. Hence my outburst yesterday.”

A pause that was too long. Irene listened to their footsteps: Chanyeol’s heavy and slow, just as she remembered in the first day of her internship. It seemed like months had passed, though it was only just the first full week. “Where are we eating today?”

“A really good steakhouse. No chicken, since you detest it.” Irene was speechless. Now she’s almost convinced he has some sort of contact with Seulgi. How would he know something so unique about her? “Because,” he continued, “I specifically picked out a juicy piece of chicken for you once during lunch, but you didn’t even touch it.” Irene was reduced to a wordless state.

Chanyeol slowed down his long strides to walk at the same pace with Irene. They walked really closely, shoulders occasionally brushing against one another. When she stared into the warm single-dimpled smile that touched his eyes, she smiles back. I’ve missed you.

---

It is Fri-yay again, Irene realized, slamming her computer shut. She saw Sehun jump out of the corner of her eyes. The two-day weekend is more than welcome to the tired intern. She left her seat at 5 PM sharp, not bothering to work over-hours. Heck, I'm an intern, not a slave. I'll do my best but that's it. She flashed a huge smile at Sehun, who looked after her in daze, then at Tao, before heading out. Irene proceeded to deliberately strut by Manager Kim's office on her way out. His incredulous look just made her happier. Not forgetting to pop by Taehyung's, Irene skipped to his office and waved goodbye. When she left he mused with a smile on his face, now that's youth at its finest. Already in high spirits. Finally, she stopped at the entrance to the suite where Chanyeol worked. An older coworker lady spotted her and motioned her in. "We won't tell HR!" she said, excitedly pulling Irene into the suite. Irene looked towards Chanyeol's cubicle, a little embarrassed. His coworkers were sometimes too pushy, hence why she rarely visits. 

He guides her into his corner, then offered his seat. She shook her head quickly. "I'm heading out..." she said quietly. "Wanted to say bye in case I don't get to see you during the weekend."

He flashed her a huge grin, then ruffled her hair. "Careful on the way back."

Irene nodded and hurried out, blushing as she felt the gazes of Chanyeol's adoring coworkers etching into her back.

Irene’s an introvert, for those of you who don’t understand her reaction, I empathize because I’m kinda shy and hate people cutting in to “stand up” for me for something I was about to do myself or didn’t want at all. I’m modeling Irene off of her actual personality: a little shy, introverted, and gentle/ laid back. As to who she’ll end up with, let’s wait and see with who she is more suited to! I do apologize if the story is dragging a little, wanted to flesh out the characters~ Thank you for the continued support. Sana will be appearing shortly in a few updates!!

//\\