Business Casual

☆゚. * Summer's Secret Garden * ・ 。゚

//\\

Day 4: Business Casual

Irene appraised herself in the mirror. She woke up an hour early to get ready for work. Normally it was a process that’d take around twenty minutes: bb cream, a quick curl of her long eyelashes, mascara, a touch of eyeliner, and a dab of lipstick. Irene would be good to go. Her naturally fair features just needed a little bit of nudge to look perfect: glossy skin, slender eyebrows, velvety eyelashes, matched with doe-like eyes and small plump lips. Today, however, is the business casual day. She eyed the messages on her phone again as she carefully worked the hair-curler through her luscious hair.

Unnie Rin:
Monday 8:29 PM
Evening, Irene. I can’t recall if I’d told you this earlier- Tuesdays are business casual days! You don't have to come in tie and blouse. Feel free to look pretty tomorrow: dress up or down, be creative but classy- no short skirt and flip flops, mind you. ;)

Irene:
Monday 8:38 PM
Got it! See you tomorrow!

Chanyeol:
Monday 10:30 PM
Asleep yet? Don’t know if Unnie Rin told you about B/C Day, you can dress up or down tomorrow!

Irene:
Monday 10:31 PM
Kkkk thanks~ She just told me.

---

“Umma,” Irene called in despair, having trouble deciding which pair of earrings to wear.

Her mother popped into her room, surprised at her already wide awake and halfway ready daughter. “Hmm? Who are you looking this pretty for, my dear?” she teased as she rummaged through the pairs of earrings for one that matches with Irene’s outfit. Her daughter looked particularly pretty today, not that she wasn’t on a daily basis. Helping her dress-up is one of her favorite things to do. Mmm. A white lace blouse with a checkered red blazer, completed with smart-looking jeans. She approved of her daughter's taste.

“Let’s finish your classy look. Here. These red heart ones.”

Irene admired her mother’s choice, satisfied. “Knew I could count on you!” She stood upright, and did a little twirl. Her mom beamed as she looked on.

“There’s my darling, Joohyun-ah, so pretty! Let me tie your hair for you- and here, this one,” she said as she switched out the lipstick Irene was holding in her hands.

---

Irene picked up her pace as she crossed the checkpoint. She wasn’t running late today. She was actually quite early. Instead, she was feeling uncomfortable from the stares of the guards on the way to the checkpoint. Did I overdo it? She groaned a little as she turned a corner and saw the small group of people that had already formed waiting for the elevator. She glumly placed herself at the end of the line, head down, trying not to attract attention.

Some people shuffled in the front of the line, making way for a person that headed straight at her, Irene realized. She raised her head inquisitively. Two pairs of eyes met, a brief pause- and unbridled surprise from both sides. Man walked straight to me, why’s he acting like he didn’t control his own legs? thought Irene incredulously. Sehun paused mid-step and turned to a stop beside Irene. She was trying her best not to freak out: keeping in mind, of course, her stab at him during lunch last week. Shoot. He’s definitely going to get me back for that…

“Sure you’re here for work?”

If the previous stares were wind before a hurricane, Sehun is probably the storm eye. Irene eyed him with annoyance, trying unsuccessfully to bash his outfit. He was wearing a white linen oversized crew neck, the neck area just wide enough to catch a glimpse at his angled collar bones, and capri pants that landed just above his knees. Nothing wrong. In fact, perfect. He could probably make wearing a freaking towel to work look acceptable. Besides, the smirk he wore on his face shoved whatever smart comment she was about to say right back down .

She couldn’t hold back an obnoxiously obvious eye-roll when the elevator couldn’t hold all the people lining up for it. Of course, what’d I expect? Always the best timing. A sneaky glance up at Sehun left Irene’s heart racing. He was intently looking at her, as if expecting something.

“What… did I overdress?” Irene attempted.

He shook his head. Irene raised a single eyebrow as she caught something that looked almost like amusement in his eyes. He looked away, and she took a brief moment to revel in his features. Then the two stared limply ahead at the patterned elevator door, their deformed images silently reflecting back at them. Early morning antisocial club, huh… she looked up and caught his eyes again in surprise. He tilted his head a little. “Hmmm?” Irene quickly looked down and focused on her key card holder like it was the most intriguing object she ever saw.

---

Irene screamed as a pair of hands attacked her waist out of nowhere. She spun around, facing the man who stood behind. His eyes reappeared as his smile froze into an expression that looked even more terrified than she was. Sehun looked at the two with narrowed eyes. “What the , Taehyung...” he hissed. He pulled Irene behind his back. “I swear… we already look ridiculous with our dress code,” he growled in a low voice, eying the small circle of professionally- dressed people that looked on with interest. Their name tags showed different entreprises and bank names, Irene noted. He didn’t finish his sentence, but both V and Irene got the gist of it and clamped up until they reached their floor.

Irene turned immediately to V after exiting the elevator. “What,” she gasped, “was that?!”

He shifted uncomfortably under her gaze. “I mistook you for Rin…”

"You what…" she gasped, a mixture of amusement and exasperation. Well, mostly the latter.

"She's so stoic... so I try to scare her whenever I get the chance to."

Sehun snorted and swiped through the glass doors without turning back. Irene watched as V turned to the right dejectedly. She opened to say something, but closed it quickly as he swiped through and disappeared into the office, shoulders slumped.

---

Chanyeol dropped by a little while after break started, choosing to observe Irene silently instead of announcing his presence. She shined particularly today with mature beauty, her outfit a vigorous red, matched with earrings of the same shade. Even her frown seems packed with so much positive energy, he thought as he leaned against her cubicle. After a while she’d emptied the last drop from her cup and sighed heavily, lifting her stiff body from her chair to get water.

“Hi,” he said, stifling a laugh when Irene jumped visibly.

“No no no no, go away,” she frowned as she swatted at him.

“Mmm? Is it that serious?” he asked, suddenly concerned.

"What is…" she muttered, distracted, as she filled her cup and hurried back to her seat, nearly running smack into his chest as she exited the water room. He shifted out of her way carefully, lifting his arms to help with the water, letting them fall when she ignored his help and hurried away back to her cubicle.  "...I need to polish this report, it’s due at the end of lunch. Go eat, go eat," she shooed him again absentmindedly while staring at the screen.

"You’re done, though, are you not?” Chanyeol gently moved her hand off the mouse and used it to scroll through her neatly marked report. “Take a break. I’ll ask for someone to help you proofread it after lunch. He’s super reliable."

---

Irene sighed as she followed Chanyeol, who was picking out things he thinks she’d like to eat. She looked on and frowned a little as he slid the biggest piece of chicken on her plate. Then he plopped a huge piece of galbi on top of it with a grin, and Irene’s heart sank further. Her frown morphed into a quick smile when he turned around with a hopeful face, and she nodded at him to continue. No way staying mad at such a handsome face. She silently thanked the Lords when he eventually decided to  add some fruits and vegetables to the plate. At least I can eat something.

Her eyes brightened when she saw a familiar figure sitting at the table Chanyeol signaled her towards. He looked dejected or tired, Irene couldn’t exactly tell, perhaps from working too hard. “V-oppa!” she said, rapidly pulling out her chair before Chanyeol could reach it. He retracted his long arm with a frown and Irene laughed.

Taehyung his dry lips a little as he raised his eyes. “I’m sorry-” he began.

Irene turned to look behind her. Nobody. She turned to face Taehyung again. “Hmm?” she questioned with a blank face.

“Well… this morning. I think I need to officially apologize, so I asked Chanyeol to set us up for lunch,” he looked down again.

Irene burst out into hysterical laughter. She couldn’t help it: he looked so genuinely apologetic for what he did, yet she forgot about the incident a mere few minutes into work. "I’m just a jumpy person, that’s totally not your fault." His earnest apology was cute- she began warming up to this adorably serious sunbae pretty fast.

"But you looked so mad… geez, I couldn’t even focus properly on work!" he exclaimed.

Irene felt a stab of guilt, like she’d hurt an innocent puppy. She didn't know it affected him to that extent. "Okay, I get that a lot." she said simply. "People do tend to think I'm rude or intimidating." He looked horrified again, thinking he’d offended her unintentionally. A rapid shake of head as Irene placed an assuring hand on his arm, followed by a sigh of relief.

"I didn't know you well enough... so I jumped to the worst possibilities..."

Chanyeol laughed at him. "Take a breather. You're getting too stressed from management numbers." He then pushed Irene’s plate insistently towards her. "Eat up, the food’s getting cold." Irene looked at her huge plate silently. The only thing I can eat are the salmon salad and fruits… and they can and should be eaten cold.

---

Irene peered through the glass windows at V, who intently jotted down notes on his notepad. Left-handed, interesting. Chanyeol exited the office to get some water, nudging Irene playfully as he passed by. Irene stumbled from the force of the giant and hit him, laughing, as he reached out to catch her. She then resumed observing Taehyung. V felt her gaze and looked up at her, then mentioned for her to come in his office. She bounded in after a brief hesitation. “Your own office! Look at you,” she admired.

He grinned widely at her, and she found her spirits lifted again. V probably is one of the most spiritually healing person she has met: both in his readily available smile and his mature demeanor. “Sit,” he motioned at the empty leather seat. She sniffed a little. Even the seat was better for an executive. “I’m working on the list of things you should take a look at-” he tried unsuccessfully to bite back a yawn. “After that I’ll have to take a nap. Don’t go too hard on yourself.”

She smiled as she observed him quickly direct his full attention to her report, focusing with an intensity that was almost scary. When Chanyeol stopped by with mugs full of water, V didn’t even acknowledge his presence. Irene beamed at Chanyeol as he handed over a cup. Thank you for this, she mouthed, pointing at V.

---

Rin received the neatly sorted pile of papers in her hand, then set them on her desk. “I’ll take a look tonight and give you some feedback, Irene. You can go home for today, we’ll be having an executive meeting and I don’t have any new tasks for you just yet.” She motioned at V impatiently to hurry up. He didn’t look too excited for the upcoming meeting, but managed a smile at Irene as he passed by and entered the conference room. “Loved your style today, by the way,” Rin said, “ahh… youth.” She then arched her back a little and grabbed her pile of conference notes, heading to the conference room after waving goodbye at Irene.

---

Irene paused her rapid footsteps when she spotted Sehun slowly emerge from a black car. He started walking towards her direction. She'd just organized her things and left the office to head to the metro, crossing by the garage as a shortcut. The clanking of the keys echoed in the garage as he twirled them steadily, stopping short when he saw her standing in the distance. A long pause. "Where you headed?" he called.

"Metro," she yelled back.

"Car ride?" an invitation offered with such a low voice Irene had to think again to make sure she wasn't imagining.

"I'm good, some other day!" She was way too tired to deal with more drama for the day. She flashed him a big smile as she marched out of the garage towards the metro station, blinking as she enjoyed the last rays of gentle sunlight hitting her face. Sehun stared after her for a while, then continued twirling the car keys as he entered the building, swiped through the checkpoint, and rode the elevator up to the office.

Author's note:

Because Sehun (with his smart mouth and social skills) normally doesn’t hang around much people except for the management team (Rin), and Irene had her hair tied that day so V got confused.