Mr. Giraffe!

☆゚. * Summer's Secret Garden * ・ 。゚

Day 1: Mr. Giraffe!

Irene whined once again in hopes of getting mom to change her mind. “Ma… Is it really absolutely necessary for me to go?”

Her mom sighed, exasperated.

“You were the one who said you need an internship. Your old man had to ask around for quite a while to land you this opportunity! Don't even think about whining your way out of this. You will be interning at the company For. One. Month.”

Her mother enunciated the last few words clearly, eyes bulging. She proceeded to smack Irene lightly on her head, then turned to examine the wrinkles on her face with a frown. Irene stared into mother’s unsympathetic face with her best pout face on, then sighed and looked away when she couldn’t find a shred of pity. Case officially closed. That’s it, then. A month of my beautiful summer wasted…

---

Irene tried to keep up a grumpy farce on the way to the office. She glued her face to the cold car window as the scenes flied by, huffing puffs of air that formed white mist clouds on the window. As the car made a left turn at the roundabout, she realized she was getting close to the company and cracked. “Dad, you sure Mr. Cha is nice? Last time I saw him he looked so… uh, strict for lack of better words? What if my coworkers don’t like me, or just ignore me, or what if-”

“You are my daughter.”

Her father calmly uttered the nonsensical sentence then turned to give Irene a beaming, proud smile that lasted a while too long. Irene grabbed her dad's face and turned it so that he faced the front again. “Dad, please keep your eyes on the road. And what does that even mean?”

“You’ll do well!”

“…”

Her father gestured for her to get off the car with a smile. Irene wobbled towards the entrance, then turned around and looked at her parents desperately. It was well worth a try, but she had no chance of sympathy. Both of them made ‘hwaiting!’ signs at her, then sped off without looking back. Irene managed a shaky goodbye wave at her parents, already a tiny dot way off in the distance. She looked up at the huge building she was about to enter. Sighing heavily, she hurled herself against the huge entrance doors.

---

Irene rushed through the huge building, panicking to find the wing she was supposed to be in. The last thing she wanted was to be late on Day One of her internship. When the check point couldn’t recognize her card and blocked her from entering, Irene was ready to smash through a wall in frustration. The man behind her seemed even more at edge, tapping the tip of his shoe against the floor.

“Here, give me your card.”

A raspy voice spoke up behind her. Before Irene could turn around, a smartly-dressed lithe man shifted impatiently from behind and guided her to a side, then slipped her card container from her hands. She peeped at him sheepishly through her bangs. Woah, this one's a looker. Hair perfectly slicked back, check. Clean clothes, check. Suit and pants unwrinkled, check. Tie straight, check. Possibly too good, check. Irene could detect a faint smell or fresh shampoo and cologne from him. He flipped the container to show her a card with something circular taped onto it.

“This card, you use for this checkpoint. When you go up to whichever floor your company is in, use the card on the other side of the container. You were using the wrong side.”

Irene nodded vehemently as he spoke, studying his delicate but sharp features and barely focusing on the content he was relaying. She watched as his lips snapped open and close, perfectly shaped, so... y. Even his hands looked beautiful. No, even his freaking fingers, she thought as she looked down to the card that he was pointing at, still nodding aimlessly. Does he have a girlfriend? boyfriend? Do I have a chance? 

"Ah...?" She stopped the nodding motion abruptly when he stuffed her cards back into her hands and swiped through the checkpoint, then disappeared into the elevator without ever looking back at her again. Head swirling from nodding so hard, she took a good look at her cards and noted the difference. Didn't even get to say thanks... geez. She swiped through and ran hurriedly to the elevators so she wouldn't miss the next one, then smacked right into something huge as she turned the corner. Irene's eyes widened as she looked up to the face of the massive entity she walked right into. Exactly what I need on the first day.

“I… I… I… sorr, sorry”

Irene shifted around awkwardly as she thought of something to say to her boss. Mr. Cha’s ice cold face wiped all words she had previously prepared right out of her mind. Eventually, his expressionless face softened a little and he offered a smile.

“Good morning, if it weren't our new intern. I had a feeling I'd catch you on the way to the office. Follow me, I’ll show you the way.”

Irene smiled back, though she felt rooted to the ground with fear. She heard him say 21st floor, big glass door to the left, and nodded, keeping her eyes on the floor. She racked her brain thinking of things to say to make a good first impression, but nothing was coming out. The elevator ‘ding’ broke the silence. Irene was all too eager to leave. Out she stepped, then turned mechanically to the right.

“To the left.” A voice that sounded suspiciously amused.

Irene stopped abruptly and turned to the right direction, internally smacking herself for being so hopelessly awkward. Remembering the flower man's words, she swiped the correct card this time and gasped as she admired the huge office.

“I’ll hand you over to Rin from here on, she’s the human resource department head. I trust that she will take good care of you. Good luck and work hard!”

Irene nodded gratefully at Mr. Cha, and managed to squeak out a ‘thanks’ at his already retreating figure. The next twenty minutes was a flurry of events. Irene was introduced to various coworkers whose names and jobs she forgot the moment they were introduced. The one person she'd remembered is Rin, who she took an immediate liking to. A petite but intense HR lady who commanded respect from others as she took Irene on a tour of the office. She was very smartly dressed. To Irene, Rin is the embodiment of her dreams: an extremely capable, classy, successful and respected businesswoman. Irene clung to Rin for dear life.

A computer and landline were set up for her, and she was already instructed with her first task of writing a regional end of year report. Irene found herself seated in a cubicle right beside water room for coffee breaks, which proves quite useful as she could do some people-watching when coworkers grab their water or coffee. Numerous people passed by without noticing her. Rin said her space was previously occupied by another person who just took off on a vacation break. Irene tried hard to remember faces. One tall and young-looking coworker noticed her, examined her with curiosity then managed a quick little wave as he passed by. Irene waved back with a smile. He passed by too fast for Irene to react further other than note his oddly flashy hair color, but she was glad to know that there's another friendly soul in the company.

---

Time passed faster than Irene thought it would. Before she knew it, Rin tapped on her shoulder.

“Come on, take a break! It’s lunch time. We'll grab lunch with a few other colleagues, do introduce yourself.”

Irene gingerly picked out things to eat, while chuckling occasionally at what Rin and Mr. Cha were saying. She was sitting with four members of the senior management of the company, while other coworkers were eating at another table. She desperately hoped that she’d finish her food as fast as possible. Irene isn’t the brightest in dealing with people of twice her age. Mr. Cha cleared his throat.

“Joohyun, how are you fitting in?”

“Good! Unnie Rin is taking real good care of me!”

“That’s good to hear. We’ll be downstairs in Starbucks, drop by when you’re done with your food. Take your time.”

Irene nodded emphatically.

---

“Are we boring you?”

Mr. Cha chuckled quietly as he looked at Irene's horrified expression.

“Don’t worry, I wouldn’t be surprised if we are. Fortunately for you we’ve recruited two new employees. Like you they studied abroad and are around your age. That Chanyeol from the business operations department… he’s in his early twenties I think…? Rin?”

“25. And Sehun is 26. Boss I'd say there’s a little bit of an . But better than us old geezers, right? I’ll introduce you to them later when I have time,” Rin promised.

“Actually, you guys act really young!” Irene added hurriedly.

“Haha, so do we look old?”

Irene managed a petrified smile at Mr. Cha’s joke. So far so good. Irene found herself looking forward to meeting these new coworkers despite herself. Is one of them the attractive flower man I bumped into earlier?

---

Irene couldn’t help but feel like time was passing much slower after the break. She was daydreaming and playing around with her pencil one hour into work. When Rin passed by she guiltily put the pencil down and pretended to focus on writing the report. The moment their eyes met, Irene knew that Rin saw right through her.

“Say, how about you help me organize this pile of documents first? Easy task, just put them in order by date, latest first.”

“Sure would love to,” a guilt-ridden response.

The tall coworker walked by again and snickered at Irene as she struggled through the massive pile of papers.

“What, kid. You have a problem?” Rin asked, catching every little exchange with her sharp eyes.

“No, no. I hadn’t known that you recruited a third new employee?”

“She’s no employee, she's our new intern. I’ll take good care of her! Now... you go work before I mention you slacking in my report.”

“Ahh, intern. Rin you’re so harsh! You can't stop me from getting water.”

He gave Irene a sympathetic nod before slipping away. Irene kept her eyes glued on his retreating figure. He could potentially be her first friend in the company! She realized she still didn’t have his name yet, but was a little hesitant to ask Rin. Rin is really nice, but that doesn’t change the fact that she’s the human resource manager, and that’s not exactly known for being the friendliest department in a company.

---

Irene was spacing out again before she knew it. She was jerked out from her thoughts by Mr. Cha’s squeal and looked up in shock. What in the world could cause a man as stoic as Mr. Cha to squeal? Soon enough she heard the reason. It was his birthday and his wife had a red velvet cake delivered for him. Mr. Cha was in a good mood and offered to share his cake with everyone in the company, leaving it up to grabs in the water/ coffee room.

“Ughhh, too sweet.”

Rin passed by Irene's table while making a face at the cake slice she was holding in her plate. Irene laughed sympathetically and decided against getting any. Her teeth ached a lot after eating things that are too sweet.

---

Irene sighed and took her phone out. Rin passed by earlier to tell her that she doesn’t need to force herself to work hard, especially since she’s new to the company. She guiltily took on the offer. She chose to spend the remnants of her first day chatting with her good friend, Seulgi, online about how her internship was going. She walked to the break room to get a cup of coffee and settle down. Heavy footsteps sounded from far away, and Irene listened intently. It’s him… The giraffe guy had footsteps that Irene could easily distinguish. They are heavier, and slower than most; probably because he was so tall. Irene's face lighted up when his face showed itself. She tried to hide her excitement.

“Well, little new intern, how was lunch with the scaries?”

“It was, uh, bland...”

“Haha, you said it. Our company does have terrible food!”

Irene laughed. She was glad someone else in her company shared her thoughts on the food.

“So I’ve heard you studied abroad?”

“Where'd you hear that from? Yes... I study in an american university.”

“American, huh. I’ll introduce you to Sehun sometime.”

“I’m sorry, who?”

“Sehun. My roommate. He did his graduate degree in America. Oh, red velvet cake! Who is it for?”

Irene wanted to tell him about Rin’s comment, but she pushed it down and instead watched him excitedly staring at the red velvet cake. A smile formed on her face.

“Mr. Cha's wife. Where are the plates kept around here?”

“Ahh, right, plates. I remember… they should be around… Here.”

The glasses guy handed a plate over to Irene, who took it in her hands in surprise. She was taken back by how considerate he was. Abandoning all thoughts of refusing, she watched as he cut a slice of the cake. He naturally took the plate from her hands and slid a slice of cake onto it.

“I cut the slice with the heart for you. Cute, huh?"

Irene stared at his smiling face. Was there something more to that or was he just being a nice person? He tilted his head after a while and offered her the plate again.

“Cake?”

“Yeah, thanks!”

Irene took the plate. “Um, I’ll be heading back to my seat… see you around!”

The willowy guy waved goodbye and Irene hurried back. Calm yourself! Just a considerate guy! Okay, he’s tall. He’s pretty attractive. And ugh his voice is deep and I never succeeded in resisting deep-voiced guys... Her common sense also kicked in. She was here for an internship. Don't. Even. Think. about crushing on a coworker. What annoyed her even more was the fact that she still didn’t have his name. Or his department. Or any details about him, for that. Is he single? Irene sighed and pushed the crazy thoughts out of her head. It was just the second day and the internship was already crazy in comparison to her expectations.