Chemistry

I shouldn't love you yet I do

The sun shining directly onto his face was what made Wooshin wake up from his slumber after not having heard his alarm earlier. He quickly rolled over and out of Xiao's embrace as he realized that they were going to be late for school. It was the time of the year where the sun wasn't up when he was supposed to wake up thus leading to the sun shining onto his face not feeling like the gentle way to wake up like it was always described in books. Right now it was more of a slap into his face as he read 7:30AM on the alarm on his bed stand. School started at 8AM and he would never get there in time so he might as well skip the first class. He had enough of being yelled at for being late to school after last week and their chemistry test was in 6th class.
Deciding on skipping gave him some more minutes to stay in bed, so he rolled back to his best friend who was still sleeping peacefully. Wooshin came back to his earlier thoughts as he looked at Xiao. His friend was another favorite at school, mostly by girls who described him as both dangerous and cute at the same time. The way he dressed and the expressions that he put onto his face sometimes made him look like a typical hot bad boy you would meet in some bad story, but whenever he was with his friends you could see that he was far from that. He laughed a lot and liked to tease others in a fun manner. And then you shoot countless of our enemies without a change in your expression., Wooshin thought to himself as he saw his friend's eyelids fluttering slightly. What was he dreaming about? Xiao started to turn around and kick whatever it was with his leg. Wooshin was sure he was having a nightmare by now. The older started to get worried obviously, but actually he was used to this already and had told Xiao about his night terrors before. They both had decided that it was probably his way of coping with the imagines that burned into his memory during their jobs.
Wooshin now sat up and tried shaking him awake by his arm, but it was only until he also called out his name that Xiao shot up in an instant, his eyes wide open. He fell back into the mattress and relaxed as he locked eyes with Wooshin who just smiled at him.
"Hey sleepyhead.", he greeted the younger with slight chuckled as said one buried his face into his pillow to protect himself from the sunrays now also shining onto his face, "Get up. We've to get ready to leave. I'll take a quick shower."
As Wooshin got up from his bed and grabbed a towel and his uniform he heard Xiao whining and mumble something about wanting to skip school. He was one of those people who barely attended when nobody would kick his from time to time. Sometimes Wooshin couldn't help but wonder why he had even followed him to university. Back in high school it had already been like this.
"We can't skip! The chemistry test is today!", Wooshin exclaimed excitedly before he was gone into the shower. He had studied a lot with him just a few hours ago and he was sure they would ace this test, but if they wouldn't be going today they most probably would forget all the learned stuff and the whole night would've gone to waste. He hated chemistry almost more than English.

"What did you dream of?", Wooshin asked curiously as he drove out of the parking lot in front of his home, driving the both of them to school as usual, "You seemed very troubled about something so I woke you up." Xiao who had just been trying to take selfies with a small smirk suddenly let said smirk falter and his phone slowly came down onto his thigh. He didn't really want to talk about it this time, but with Wooshin he always felt like he could. He had problems of opening up to other people about literally anything a few years ago before entering high school back then. Wooshin had changed him for the better, made him come out of his shell and try to actually trust in people without second- guessing. Still, the dream and the whole topic made him uncomfortable so he felt like adjusting in his seat first before he started to speak up.
"It was about last night...", he started in a low voice and looked at his hands, his phone now hidden in his uniform's jacket which was a rare thing. Sometimes Wooshin liked to call him smartphone addicted.
This serious and sensitive side was something only Wooshin got to see, the sensitive one. At school Xiao was the playful and cheeky yet kind friend while during the time where he helps out the gang he is the cold-hearted I don't care about anything type of member.
"Jinhoo hurt you during his Blood Rush and nobody really did anything...so I shot him without a second thought."
For a second Wooshin looked at Xiao to see the expression on his face, then back onto the road. To Xiao it wasn't one of the usual nightmares that just passed by you. It definitely had felt very really and was messing with him. Wooshin swallowed hard before speaking. He knew why he wanted to keep Xiao out of his gang business as much as possible despite his talent with guns and shooting. Yes, they needed him, but at the same time it wasn't good for the youngest.
"With dreams it never means the most obvious thing, Xiao. It doesn't mean that Jinhoo would hurt me, neither that you would ever actually kill him.", Wooshin explained calmly as he turned right, their school drawing nearer. He had always been good at looking calm on the outside about any matter, but only few people would know what was going on in his head right now. His mind was racing. How would he make Xiao withdraw from the gang? How would he talk to Kuhn about this matter?
Xiao sighed and started playing with his hands.
"I know, it's just...it was scary seeing you hurt like that and Jinhoo pointing at you, Kuhn and Sunyoul. It wasn't like him and it scared me more than that Coffox dude if I'm being honest."
Wooshin could only silently agree to this. They were used to Kiyoung being a cocky a*s and knew how to handle him, while if someone fell into Blood rush they were unpredictable and it was hurtful to see a loved one act like that. While talking about this matter to Xiao, he realized how much he needed to talk about what happened last night with someone, but it was no use to fuel Xiao's concern now.
"I'm sure Jinhoo learned his lessons."
"Did he contact you about it already?", Xiao asked with hope rising at the end of his sentence, looking up for the first time during the entire car ride. While Wooshin was parking his car backwards into the box he shook his head, "No, not yet."
Xiao's expression faltered once again, similar to the beginning of their ride and he adjusted his uniform before heading out of Wooshin's car.

"I haven't seen them this morning.", Wei explained to an impatient Minsoo as he had just sat down and joined them at their usual table during lunch break. Wooshin was supposed to explain chemistry to him very quickly before taking the test. Minsoo kept on eyeing his friend with furrowed eyebrows as if that would make Wei suddenly know where Wooshin and Xiao were at right now, but said one was unfazed and kept eating while checking text messages on his phone. Next to him, Miyeon bumped his shoulder lightly and told him to calm down while she tied her light brown hair into a ponytail to prevent it from getting into her food. She knew chemistry was his worst subject yet in her opinion it was no use to stress about it. They all had to take that test eventually, there was no way of getting out of it. So why stress too much? After today they would be finished with chemistry for a while now and life would be a little less hard.
Minsoo came back to his relaxed and gentle side, dropping the matter and focusing back onto his food. In his mind he thanked his best friend while she just nodded at him. They had been friends for such a long time already they didn't need words to communicate. Except for when the topic was Wooshin. Either she didn't understand his signals or she just didn't want to; he wasn't sure. Minsoo was aware about her crush on Xiao, but he only wanted the best for her which he believed was Wooshin. In his eyes Xiao was a young troublemaker and not suited for her. Whenever she swooned over him he wished she would one day just snap out of it. Not to get him wrong, it wasn't that he disliked Xiao or that he didn't support her crush on him. They just didn't seem fitting for him to be in a relationship and additionally Xiao had never made any move that would suggest that he'd like her more as a friend. Maybe Minsoo also just didn't want her heart to get broken, he figured out. But as said black haired duo suddenly sat down at their table and her eyes started to light up as she greeted Xiao, Miyeon wasn't acting in his favor.
"Where were you this morning?", Minsoo asked instantly and looked back and forth between the duo. Usually he would be greeted with Wooshin's shy smile and a low apology, while Xiao would just grin at him, then put on his famous smile and find an excuse that had so much coverage he couldn't keep on questioning him about it or it would start becoming weird. Yet Minsoo was the oldest of the group and he always felt like he would need to look after everyone. It was hard looking after these two when they were never opening up to him and always out of reach. Today he was greeted with Xiao's exhausted half smile, while Wooshin appeared to be a little more awake and shot him a quick look that read Sorry. Minsoo was too sensitive and sensed that something was up. Wooshin was late very often as already known and it also wasn't rare that both of them would be late. What had happened?
"Did you learn for Chemistry?", Wei interrupted Minsoo's plan of asking his friend about it while he was still chewing on his food eagerly. Wei was this kind of person that would always be seen eating, but if you didn't know that he was eating you would think he never ate anything. He never gained weight at all yet he loved food the most out of them.
Wooshin nodded and looked at his tallest friend for a quick second, "Xiao and I studied all night long which is why we look so tired."
Minsoo thought that actually this didn't sound that much like a bad excuse this time, but the way Xiao acted was different from someone just being sleepy. Maybe he was scared of the test? Xiao wasn't that bad at chemistry though.
"Are you okay, Xiao?", Minsoo asked, getting concerned as he didn't touch his food nor was looking at his mobile phone. Xiao was known for being a little known on social media, he was always on his phone. Said one was daydreaming so much that he blinked at the older multiple times as Wooshin had lightly nudged him with his leg underneath the table to get him back to reality
"Just a little worried about failing chemistry.", Xiao explained which was the truth actually besides the other things inside of his head and tried to eat a little bit of the pudding Hyemi had gifted him as always.
"But you're pretty good at chemistry.", Minsoo deadpanned and finished his last bite. Xiao just shrugged his shoulders and continued to eat while May kept on looking at him. She had understood why Minsoo had eyed him from the beginning. Something was off and the whole atmosphere was gloomy today. They didn't really speak any further. She hoped it was just because of the chemistry test and it would fade soon.