SIX

Sweet Escape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After they finished off the beer that Sandara brought, Jaejoong asked her what she wanted to do next.

 

Sandara reluctantly admitted that she should probably be getting back to the dorm since she has rehearsals early the following day.

 

Jaejoong nodded in understanding and stood up, waiting for her to do the same before they started the walk back to her dorm.

 

Like a lot of things in their unlikely friendship, this too has become tradition. If they’re within walking distance of her dorm, Jaejoong walked her to the end of her street, watching as she made her way inside the building before leaving.

 

Sure, they need to keep their secrets but he also needed to make sure she was safe. Especially after they’ve been drinking. And really, her alcohol tolerance is nothing compared to his. In the beginning, she’d get drunk on one beer. One! Now she’s developed a better tolerance and can handle three to four bottles of beer as long as she drinks on a full stomach and takes her time with the alcohol.

 

Tonight, she’s only had two, with Jaejoong finishing off the remaining cans from the six-pack she brought. She’s also been nibbling on the snacks she brought along, so she’s in relatively good shape.

 

They walked mostly in silence, each lost in their own thoughts. Once they reached their designated point of separation, she turned to him with eyes bright-eyed with innocence and hope. “Things will get better, right?”

 

Jaejoong scoffed, because he knows the world is a ty place and he knows that she knows this too. Sometimes he can’t understand how she can remain optimistic and how she keeps seeing kindness and good intentions even in the most unrepentant s. Case in point: YG and GD. He’s heard that YG treats Jiyong as his son. I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, then.

 

But then, here was Sandara, a girl he’s come to know as well as he’s known anyone since becoming an idol. They don’t lie to each other. Well, that’s not entirely true. They do lie. She tells him his former members would come around and finally talk to them again. He tells her that YG will one day stop being a whiny who keeps tearing her down even as he makes money off of her. But she also tells him that not everyone will understand his motivations and will only see their, JYJ’s, move as breaking up the band. He on the other hand tells her that the YG vibe is vastly different from her persona and she needs to work hard since she chose to be with YG. She knows that statement isn’t a diss. Since he spent like ten minutes telling her that. It’s a fact. YG is all hip hop and swag and she’s really.. Cute.. and sweet.. And kind.. And she cares so much.. Too damn much.. So she needs to work harder with building up her YG image.

 

He was just wondering if what she wants is another lie or if she wants the cold hard truths. Not wanting to ruin their night with the truth but not wanting to demean it with a lie, he decided on deflection: “With me in your life plus that boatload of beer coming, what do you think?”

 

Her smile told him she knew what he was doing but she didn’t mind. With a brisk nod and a goodnight thrown at him, she started walking to her dorm. He watched her look back at him as she reached their building. She gave a small wave then rushed inside. Once she was no longer within his view, he put his hands in his pockets and started making his way back to his own home.

_______________________________________

 

“Well.. You must be pretty pleased with yourself.” Yang Hyun Suk commented as he entered the room where Sandara was being briefed by her manager about her endorsement with Cass. A solo song and a CF. Not bad. Not bad at all.”

 

Any excitement that Sandara felt during the beginning of the briefing left her body as YG took a seat at the head of the table and looked at her expectantly. Sandara wasn’t sure if she has just been given a compliment or an insult. Maybe both. Afterall, no one deals backhanded compliments like the man before her. Not knowing what to say, she just gave a slight bow and promised to work hard.

 

“Yes. Well. You should.” The older man looked at her, tskd and looked away. “Everyone’s watching you so make sure you don’t embarrass me.” He turned to look at her manager, “Make sure she attends an acting workshop or two before she films. Oh, and make sure she spends time with a vocal coach before recording the song. Carry on.” With that, he stood up and left the briefing room.

 

Sandara stared at the table in front of her in humiliation and disbelief. Her manager, who 2ne1 has lovingly dubbed Jjangmae, gave her a few moments to collect herself before clearing his throat and launching back into the briefing with about ten times more enthusiasm than when he first started. Unable to help herself, she gave him a soft smile and listened attentively as he outlined the terms of the contract.

 

“Oh. You’ll be starring in the commercial with an actor.” Jjangmae added. “Lee Min Ho.”

 

And just like that, Sandara’s flagging interest was once again caught. “The Lee Min Ho?”

 

Jjangmae frowned. “I.. uh.. Think so.. The actor?”

 

“Lee Min Ho as in Gyu Jun Pyo?” Sandara pressed. “Are you absolutely, positively sure?”

 

Jjangmae scratched his head as he frowned. “Yeah.”

 

Sandara sat back in disbelief. “Oh. My. God.”

 

“I guess this is happy news?”

 

“This is big.”

 

“It’s Cass.”

 

“I know.” Sandara answered. “But I didn’t realize it was this big. I mean.. I know there’s the song and obviously a campaign.. But wow..”

 

“O-ookay.” Jjangmae started gathering his files. “You good with the schedule?”

 

“You know I am. Just tell me when and where and I’ll be there.” In a much quieter voice she added, “It’s not like I go out on dates or anything.”

 

“You could if you wanted to.” Jjangmae commented. At Sandara’s glare, he shrugged. “The dating ban? It’s not like anyone takes that seriously. You didn’t -” He coughed and looked away, highly aware of his slip of the tongue. “I mean.. Go.. Date.. Lots of people have named you as their ideal type.. Maybe you should meet them? But don’t tell anyone I encouraged you to.”

 

Pushing her bitterness aside, she looked at her manager and pouted. “You know I can’t meet people. I’m too awkward.”

 

“But how will you improve if you don’t practice?”

 

“Stop being reasonable. It’s scaring me.” She joked. “It’s just weird and scary and all kinds of uncomfortable for me..”

 

Jjangmae shrugged not minding her teasing. “Take Bom with you.”

 

“Like a double date?” She asked, eyebrows raised.

 

“Or just a girls’ night out or something. I know you’ll feel more comfortable if you’re with her but make sure it’s scandal-free, okay? The last thing we need is the two of you on the gossip sites.” Sandara nodded as she mulled over his suggestion. “Erm.. About those classes and sessions sajangnim suggested..”

 

“Schedule them.” Sandara answered his unasked question. “It’s not like I don’t need them, right?” She waved off his protests. “It’s okay, I promise. I think they’re a good idea. You know how I like to be prepared. I’m choosing to view it like that.”

 

“Okay.” Jjangmae agreed. “I’ll let you know the schedule once I have confirmed it.”

 

“Thanks, Jjangmae.” Her smile was filled with all the warmth she felt for him. “For everything.”

 

_______________________________________

 

That night, she convinced Bom to go out to celebrate her Cass contract. Bom was more than eager to have a night out with Sandara. After the thing with Jiyong exploded, she’s been trying to drag Sandara on her outings with limited success. The fact that this time, it was Sandara who was asking her made her wonder if Sandara was ready to face the dating scene once again.

Something that Sandara vehemently denied once Bom asked her as they were getting ready. CL and Minzy were working out with Hwangsabu leaving the older girls free reign of their rooms to get ready.

They weren’t technically sneaking out.

They just weren’t informing their maknaes of their intention to go out and party.

Bom sauntered inside their room, her sky high strappy heels already in hand as she studied Sandara’s outfit. In contrast to Bom’s skin tight dress, Sandara was wearing a long sleeved sweater dress that ended mid-thigh. It was loose on her upper torso, slightly revealing her right shoulder but clung to her waist and like a dream. “Ooooooh! y!” Bom exclaimed. “What shoes are you wearing?”

“I’m thinking the ankle boots you got me for my birthday or maybe my white sneakers?”

“No heels?” Bom asked.

“I want to be comfortable.” Sandara explained as she put her phone and her wallet in a small purse.

“Go with the sneakers. It would complete this y, sporty look you’re going for. Planning to get lit, huh?” Bom asked with a grin. She was definitely loving this new Sandara. She decided not to contest Sandara’s choice of footwear, since she already considered it a miracle that her friend willingly got into that short, y dress on her own. “Maybe I should wear sneakers, too.”

“I’m not planning on getting drunk, Bom.” Sandara laughed. “Besides, it would take like two beers. We’ll be ending our night in an hour if that’s the case.”

“Good point. Now hurry up. I heard one of our dancers talking about this new club that opened. I called one of my friends who knows one of the managers there and had her put us on the VI

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter