TWO

Sweet Escape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

During the flight to Japan, both Dara and Jaejoong were silent. Each caught up in their own thoughts, wondering if they were doing the right thing and just appreciating the fact that they are not alone in this journey.

Once they landed, they barely said a word to each other as they made their way to the baggage carousel. Keeping their masks and hoodies firmly in place, they waited for their bags to arrive. They were standing a few feet apart, both still scared that they would get recognized. So they pretended that they didn’t know each other. As far as everyone else is concerned, they are just two travel weary individuals who happened to be on the same flight waiting for their bags.

Although they are keeping their distance, Jaejoong was also keeping an eye on Sandara. He does feel responsible for her, after all he was the one who started this whole thing. Sandara was bopping her head to the music playing in the airport. When their eyes met, she tilted her head in such a way that Jaejoong just knew that she was making fun of him. Somehow.

He gave a small chuckle, shaking his head before turning his focus back to the baggage carousel.

With their luggage out of the way, they went their separate ways only to reunite at the taxi stand. As they earlier agreed, they got into one taxi and made their way to Dara’s hotel. Which is actually located right next to Jaejoong’s. Literally. They did this deliberately so that if they do get caught, they could claim coincidence or maybe serendipity, for those who are more romantically inclined.

They didn’t talk much until they got to Dara’s hotel. Jaejoong also got off since it was simpler that way. Once the cab sped off, he looked at Sandara and gave a soft smile behind his mask. “Well. We did it.”

“It we did.” Sandara joked.

Jaejoong rolled his eyes as he gestured for her to walk to the hotel entrance. He’ll be walking to his own hotel once he sees she’s safely inside.

______________________________________

 

As Sandara checked in to the hotel, she wonders if she’ll get caught since she stupidly used her own name when she booked online. It’s been a while since she handled things like this on her own. Even before her debut in 2ne1, her career in the Philippines was one crazy, hectic schedule-filled day after another that was only kept running smoothly thanks to her handler and all the people he coordinates with. At that time, she was just a young, timid girl who is still considered a foreigner in a country she has come to think of as her second home. She just went where she was told to go, perform as asked and rest when able. She casted a discreet glance around the lobby and found that there were only a few people around. Mostly staff and a few late night/early morning stragglers.

She thanked the check-in staff, declining their offer to help with her luggage and made her way to her room. After putting her suitcase to the side, she surveyed the room quickly then went back to lie down on the bed.

Staring at the ceiling she asked herself what the hell was she doing?

Surviving. Her pathetic, broken-hearted self, answered.

Right. She reminded herself. Trying to survive in this post-Jiyong world.

She covered her eyes with an arm as she tried to make sense of her feelings. Just earlier this day, or was it yesterday?, she was bawling her eyes out to Jaejoong.

Kim Jaejoong.

Who would have thought that she’d actually be able to see, speak to, let alone cry on The Kim Jaejoong.

Her ultimate bias in TVXQ.

She remembers the first time she met him. It was at one of Big Bang’s after parties. He came over to say hello to TOP, who in turn introduced him to 3/4s of 2ne1, since Minzy still wasn’t allowed in clubs back then.

She remembers Bom jabbing her in the side so hard, she found bruises when she showered after they got home.

Bom knew about her little crush on Jaejoong back then. She wasn’t hiding it. Just as she was loud and proud about her love for her idol turned friend Se7en, she loudly proclaimed her love for TVXQ. When Seungri pouted and complained about it, in part due to Jiyong’s grumblings, she mentioned that of course her love for Big Bang was on a whole different, unquestionable level.

Unfortunately for her fan girl heart, Kwon Jiyong was also well aware of this, and made sure she wasn’t able to speak with Jaejoong other than the polite greetings brought about by the introduction.

Then, The Break Up That Wasn’t happened. Could you really call it a break up when you weren’t even officially together in the first place?

Regardless of labels, she and Jiyong were definitely in a relationship. A wonderful, beautiful, confusing, exciting, undefined relationship.. Which started turning hurtful, causing them to end it as epically as they started it: with Jiyong and his grand gestures.

When they started it was love songs for her or those inspired by her.

Now, it’s a parade of the girls he’s dating or hooking up with.

And she can’t even blame him because she was the one who wasn’t ready to commit officially or go public. She’s a bad liar and as long as what they have remains unlabelled, she can honestly say that Kwon Jiyong isn’t her boyfriend.

And yet, if he really loved her, shouldn’t he have understood?

So maybe she does blame him a little bit.

It doesn’t help that she has to keep up this facade of indifference whenever he or his scandals come up. She can’t stand the pity that she sees on people’s faces when those two topics come up. I know about the scandals! Yes, they hurt! What else do you want me to say?! And with how wild Jiyong is being right now, they do come up more often that she could handle.

When she debuted as part of 2ne1, there was an excitement and a sense of happiness that she can share the stage, the whole experience with Jiyong. Jiyong who was younger than her and yet served as protector, mentor and number one cheerleader.

Now, she was barely keeping it together. The stress from all the haters, the criticism, her actual workload, all these things were starting to wear down on her spirit.

Jaejoong’s offer of escape came at the best time possible. Who would have thought that her confidante at her times of heartbreak would be someone who she barely knew a year ago? Now, she can say that Jaejoong is probably the only person in this world who knows who she truly is and how she really feels at this moment in time.

She knows it’s the same for him. Although Yoochun and Junsu are in the same situation as he is, Jaejoong is hesitant to appear weak in front of them since those two are depending on him to lead them to their vision. With Sandara, he can just be.

There’s a certain freedom in knowing that she can be weak in front of him and he won’t rush to fix her or she can be angry and he won’t tell her she needs to understand. She can speak her mind

Just then, she received a message from said partner-in-misery. Awake?

Yup. she answered.

Ramen?

See you in five minutes. She responded then quickly headed to the bathroom to splash water on her face. Tying her hair in a quick braid, she grabbed her phone and some bills from her wallet before making her way out of her room. She checked her appearance on the mirrors in the elevator and sighed. She looked as tired as she felt, which is very very bad for her work. When the elevator reached the ground floor, she pulled up her hoodie and made her way out the hotel. Looking around, she saw Jaejoong waiting for her. She ran up to him, “Hey. Fancy meeting you here.”

“Shut up.” Jaejoong responded with a roll of his eyes.

“You always roll your eyes at me.” Sandara complained, pouting for added effect. “You’re so mean.”

“That’s because you’re usually ridiculous.” he teased. This is how they work. The tease, make fun of each other, give the hard truths when needed, lied when asked and basically didn’t ask questions. “Where’s your face mask?”

It was her turn to roll his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter