Memory Bites

Truth Bites

Summer - 1810

Junhui was awoken by loud crashing and his younger brothers’ shouts coming from the main room of his family’s house. Out of curiosity as to what his brothers were breaking this time, Junhui reluctantly pried himself out of the comfort of his bed and made his way down the hall.

Before he had opened the door, the playful shouts turned to shouts of terror as the strong iron scent of blood conquered his senses.

Thankful for the martial arts training his mother had put him through at a young age, he prepared a defensive stance before sliding the door open.

“Junhui.” He heard a voice call, “Junhui, wake up.” He knows that voice. “Junhui…”

Present Day

Junhui bolted up in his bed in a cold sweat, Minghao staring at him with concerned eyes. “Are you okay, Junnie?” the younger questioned the elder.

“...I’ll be fine.” Junhui was careful not to say that he was fine, because he clearly wasn’t.

“May I ask what you had dreamt about?” Minghao was quick to defend himself after that question. “I mean… you don’t have to go into detail if you don’t want to!”

“It’s ok… it was just a repetition of the night I was turned. You woke me up before it got worse. Thanks for that.” Junhui showed a small smile and proceeded to wave Minghao off so he could get up. “Damn, it’s getting worse…I’m hungry” Junhui mumbled under his breath.

“What was that?” Minghao questioned what he had just said.

“Oh… um… nothing! I’m just hungry.” Junhui reassured him weakly, “Are the others still awake? It is almost ten at night.”

“Yeah, they asked me to come see if you wanted to come down and watch a movie with us.” Minghao left the offer hang in the air for a reply.

Junhui hesitated for a moment but replied, “Ok… sure. I will be down in a second.” Minghao scurried back down to the living room.

Junhui pushed himself out of bed, a loud growl echoing from his stomach and a dull ache in his muscles. “I need to find a fix soon,” Junhui thought to himself, “I’ve gone too long without fresh blood. My stock will not hold me over much longer.” Junhui reached his cooler for a meal. He decided he deserved a treat from all the stress that recently had occurred, so he chose his favorite blood type, AB.

Yes, it is true that blood types taste different. A is sweet and heavy, kind of like chocolate cake. B is more sour and savory, like potato chips. O is also sweet, but more of a fruity type of sweet. AB is slightly acidic and sweet, like a well crafted red wine.

Each vampire has their own preference, but Junhui’s was by far AB.

Without even bothering to transfer it to a bottle, Junhui grabbed a pint pouch of AB and headed downstairs, taking small sips as he went. It had been two days since the incident.

As he reached the living room, all the other members were preoccupied with something or another, so Junhui slid into an open spot on the couch.

After a couple moments of silence of him going unnoticed by the others, Junhui decided to make his presence known. “Well… I’m here… we going to watch a movie or not?”

The remaining members, minus Minghao, who knew he was there the whole time, all jumped and looked towards Junhui. He was reclining on the end spot of the couch, legs crossed, one arm on the armrest and the other with a pint bag of AB as he was periodically sipping it.

“Is that blood?” Seungkwan broke the silence to question.

“No. It’s a magic potion made out of unicorn horns and leprechaun tears. Of course it’s blood.” Junhui deadpanned in response.

After a chorus of giggles, Seungcheol broke the silence. “Actually the reason we called you down here was we wanted to talk about your… um…”

“Me being a vampire?” Junhui jumped in, “It’s fine. I’m not denying it anymore.”

Joshua took over from Seungcheol, “We had some questions for you. You could choose not to answer or answer as vaguely as you like to any of them. Ok?”

“I’m down. It’s going to happen one day or another so why not now.” Junhui answered with a slight shrug.

“Ok so… first question…” Soonyoung voiced his thoughts, “Is the myth about vampires living a long time true?”

Junhui was glad he started with such a light hearted question. “Yes it is true, and I have experienced it first hand.”

“What do you mean?” Mingyu voiced the question that was on the other’s minds.

“I told you I was a ‘96 liner, right” He received nods in return. “I just didn’t tell you which century.” Cue shocked faces of the twelve. “You all assumed i meant 1996. I actually meant 1796.”

Everyone stared at Junhui in shock. Chan broke the silence, “Your over 200 years old?!”

“Yup! It was cool watching technology develop over time though.” Junhui replied cooly, standing up to throw away his now empty blood bag.

“Next question?”