SEVEN

Settle Down

IN life, there will be moments when things don't go as planned, or things get in the way of your initial plans.

As a parent, I have experienced many of those moments, heck I even try my best to be prepared for them. You see, Ko Dhi Ah is a winner, it may seem like I'm too confident but I liked to be viewed a winner at life.

I'll admit that the divorce did pull me down to a level where I thought I couldn't return, but given the type of person that I am, I tried my best to get back on my two feet. I've come to realize that you can't really go through life thinking that you're on your own, in order to get things done, you'll need at least one person to help you out.

Humans thrive off the personal relationships which we keep with each other, and so it seems as if no matter how we try, we can't get rid of the persons who we might dislike. For me, the one person who's at the pinnacle of my disrupting my plans, as well as being a constant reminder of the pain I endured, is none other than my ex-husband. 

I just wish I didn't have to deal with him ever again. 

"...what?" 

"I said something came up. I can't pick up Mi Cha today."

I sigh deeply, "yah Kim Sun Jae!" I step away from the doors, "you specifically told me that you needed today with her, and now you're telling me you can't pick her up?" 

"Things like this happen all the time, calm down." 

I close my eyes tightly, "calm down? Yah you little-" I take a deep breath, "Mi Cha's school ends in ten minutes, and you choose to tell me this now?"

"Dhi Ah-"

"Forget it, I'll deal with it." I groan in frustration as I end the call.

I'll be stuck at court for at least two more hours, and I can't really leave my client alone to handle everything by himself. With no other available choice, I decide to text Jin Young, and hopefully he's free enough to do me this huge favour. 

I'll give you two gold stars if you pick up Mi Cha and keep her at the office with you. 

Recess ends in two minutes so my phone will be off. Thanks much, Jin Young-ah. 

THE case went exactly how I predicted, with yet another win in my bag and my client set free, I truly feel as if I can fly.

As I happily skip along to my car, I hum a soft, yet unfamiliar tune as I settle in the spacious SUV, and when the thought of celebrating crosses my mind, I fish for my phone. I firstly ignore Jin Young's message as I shoot off a text to Ji Na, begging unabashedly for her to come over to my place later tonight, since I have no qualms against getting drunk.

Before I could pull out of my parking spot, the phone screen lights up with Jin Young's smiling face, I smile to myself as I realize how lucky I am to be working alongside a kind paralegal such as himself. 

"My dongsaeng! Do you want me to pick up something for you and Mi Cha-ah?" 

"That's okay, Mi Cha's not here anyway." 

I furrow my brows as deep worry suddenly consumes me. "Yah, didn't you get my messages?" 

"Yeah, but I had a few meetings around the city. I wasn't able to-"

 I quickly interject, "what! Jin Young-ah, where's my child?"

"Please allow me to finish before you take away my gold stars. At the time I was in a meeting with the AOMG CEO's, Mr. Jung Kiseok offered to pick her up when I realized I had to cut the meeting short." 

I close my eyes with a deep sigh. 

"Sunbae...what's going on between you and Simon Dominic?" 

With a promise to completely fill him in on the situation when I return to the office, I quickly end the call and all but raced over to the AOMG office. My mind ran a mile with thoughts as I sped along the streets of Seoul, underneath the sudden need to quickly get to my destination, I was a bit worried.

Having Kiseok pick up Mi Cha has never once crossed my mind, she's my child so therefore she's my responsibility, and besides, our relationship isn't at the stage where I can suddenly ask for huge favours such as this one. I also know how much of a handful Mi Cha can be, it's not easy keeping an eye on a three year old when you have to get work done.

As a single mother, I've been in that situation a lot of times, and since Mi Cha isn't related to anyone at AOMG, I don't want her to be at the receiving end of someone's frustration stick. I'm also not too keen on just about anyone reprimanding or punishing my child either, and I hope no one has the audacity to do something like that without my approval. 

By the time I arrive at the building which houses the office, my heart feels like it's beating a million minutes per second, and it wasn't until I caught my reflection in the elevator mirror, that I realize how nervous I actually am. I immediately pull my fingernails from my mouth, I loudly clear my throat as I pull my hair into a ponytail, and as the lift makes it's final stop, I straighten my blazer before exiting.

With each step, I calm myself down by inhaling and exhaling rapidly as I make my way to the doors. I clear my throat once more, then lightly knock before opening the door. My eyes naturally scan the room for Mi Cha, and when they find her sitting on the floor with a puppy in her lap, I let out a small sigh. 

"Lawyer Ko..." I bow at Jaebeom as he smiles widely at me, "...can Mi Cha-ah stay a little longer?" 

I blink up at him for a few seconds, in all honesty his question is a bit unexpected, as the Kim Mi Cha I know gets really loud when she's comfortable. 

"I don't want her to take up any of your time..." 

I awkwardly trail off mid-sentence as he gets off the floor, "she's cute, we all love her." 

I nod my head as I let his words sink in, "she didn't misbehave did she?"

He flashes Mi Cha a confused look, I follow his gaze just in time to see her whispering into the puppy's ears. 

"No, does she misbehave?" 

I sigh dramatically, "you have no idea." 

We chuckle in unison at that, "the others were here, but now they're over by the recording booth. Should I get hyung for you?"

I quickly shake my head, I still need to think about what I need to say to him anyway. 

"I'll talk to him later," I bow at him, "thanks for keeping an eye on her Mr. Park." 

He flashes his hand with a frown, "when you call me Mr. Park I feel as old as my Dad," I smile softly at him, "call me Jay, or Jaebeom, I'm fine with it." 

"Okay..." I nod my head, "...Jay." 

Before he could say anything else, Mi Cha runs up to me with her backpack in hand.

"Mommy, can we get a puppy?" 

I sigh deeply, "we'll talk about it later. Say good-bye." 

Jay stoops down to her level with his arms wide open, and with a wide smile Mi Cha walks right into them and gives the CEO a parting hug. 

"Bye-bye, uncle." 

Relief washes over me as Mi Cha and I finally make it outside, the worries which I seem to be harbouring doesn't vanish right away, but my heart rate calms down after I strap her in the car seat. The toddler doesn't seem to be too shaken up by the fact that she should be with her father right now, as she's too caught up in asking for a puppy, and how Uncle Hwimin promised to take her out a date.

I don't even know who the hell that is, but what a typical guy though, doesn't he consider the parents' feelings when it comes on to dating their child?

"Dhi Ah!"

I spin around at the sound of his voice, I don't bother to enter the car as he jogs over to me. 

"Pretty Uncle!"

He chuckles softly while waving happily at Mi Cha, as she shouts from the backseat. 

"Were you just going to leave without coming to see me?" 

Kiseok's signature smirk falls as I nod my head at his question. "I didn't want to bother you any further, seeing as you went out of your way to pick her up, I didn't want us to be a disturbance anymore." 

He furrows his brows as he looks down at me, "what are you talking about, all of a sudden?" 

I cover my face with my hands as I think about how to carefully word what I'll say next. 

"I know I had already mentioned this in passing, but I feel like I need to say it again," I look him straight in the eyes, "yes we're together, but that doesn't mean you automatically take on responsibilities which you're not accustomed to." 

"Hey, do you have a problem with Mi Cha hanging out with the guys?"

"Of course I do Kiseok-ah, they're strangers. No mother would feel comfortable with that, and you didn't even asked me if you could pick her up." 

He frowns at me, "I was just doing you a favour."

I nod my head, "I know that, and I'm truly grateful for today," I pause momentarily, "but I need Mi Cha to get used to you being around more. Do you know what will happen when she realizes you won't be there to pick her up next week?" 

"Then I'll pick her up next week," he looks at me with so much conviction in his eyes, "I can pick her up whenever I'm free, all you need to do is ask." 

I sigh softly, "Kiseok-ah..."

A familiar buzzing from my pocket catches my attention, with another sigh I answer after glancing at the caller ID. 

"Where are you?" 

I look around, "Apujeong. Just meet me by the office, since I have Mi Cha with me." 

"About that, can you drop her off tomorrow?" 

"What is wrong with you?" 

I chew on my bottom lip as he sighs over the line.

 "Just put her on the phone, I'll explain everything." 

I remove the phone from my ear as I look at the curious CEO before me

"Let's talk later okay?" he nods his head at me, "and seriously, thanks for picking her up today."

I get in the driver's seat, and he closes the door for me. "No problem, I'll talk to you once I'm done here." 

During the drive back to my apartment, I had to listen to Mi Cha's soft sniffles, the thought of not being able to eat ice-cream with her father tonight, seemed to be too much for her heart to handle. There are moments when I begin to wonder why I even allowed that idiot visitational rights in the first place.

Kim Sun Jae has always disappointed me, I'm the foolish one for believing he would change once he sees how rewarding it is to watch his daughter grow up before his eyes. The night went exactly how I had predicted, Mi Cha seemed to be a bit down after finding out that she wouldn't be spending the night with her Dad, so the toddler clung to me as I moved around the apartment.

I had already cancelled on Ji Na since I decided to focus my attention on Mi Cha for tonight, but when the doorbell went I know for sure that Kiseok made it his priority to stop by. We didn't need to exchange any particular greetings as the familiarity between the both of us speak volumes. 

"Where's Mi Cha-ah?" 

I position my body in a comfortable position on the couch, "she went to bed a bit early. She's still upset that her Dad blew her off."

He sighs deeply, "so does she stay with him on the weekends?" 

I hum in response, "her paternal grandmother picks her up on Wednesdays, and then her Dad has her on the weekends."

"Are you okay with him blowing you off like this?" 

I shake my head, "no. But then, I'm kinda used to it." 

He nods his head at that, a comfortable silence envelopes us for a few seconds, I take his hand in mine and tightly intertwine our fingers, the CEO then looks at me with a soft smile.

"Today, I think I overreacted just a little bit-"

"Babe, I totally understand where you're coming from, so you don't need to apologize."

I lift our intertwined hands to my lips and place small, butterfly kisses on his knuckles. 

"Still, I'm sorry. And thanks again for picking her up," I look at him, "and I already notified the school that you'll be picking her up sometimes, so you won't need to show your ID anymore."

"Come here," I crawl closer to him as he wraps his strong arms around me, "I'm not half-assing this, I genuinely care for both you and Mi Cha," he places a kiss on top of my head, "there's a party coming up, everyone from both labels will be there, and I want you to come with me, you'll meet everyone then." 

Without giving it much thought, I nod my head at him, "okay, I'll be there."

My troubles seem to have vanished with the night, Kiseok and I just held each other tightly as we slept soundly and comfortably into the morning. When the sun came up, I rose with it, but there's apart of me that didn't want to get out of bed, and no matter how many times Kiseok cheekily pinched my n*pples, I chose to be lazy. 

"Cut it out." 

His deep voice rings out throughout the room as he chuckles, "but what should I do? I'm being tempted right now."

A small squeal escapes my lips as he tickles my side then rolls on top of me, he places a small kiss on my nose, then moves towards my neck, I breathe softly as he grips my bre*st in his hand. 

"Mommy!"

The CEO rolls off me and gets off the bed in a flash, I laugh at his quick actions but didn't say anything in response, I get off the bed with a yawn as I walk over to the door to let Mi Cha in. 

"Mi Cha-ah, what happened to your pajamas?"

The toddler giggles at me as she makes her way into the room, I watch as she hugs Kiseok's legs tightly, a small smile comes over my face as I watch the two interact.

"What happened to your clothes?" Kiseok lifts the toddler and holds her in his arms, "hmm? Why are you still in your pull-ups?" 

I shake my head at that, "I'll give her a bath and make us breakfast, you can sleep some more." 

He walks over to me with Mi Cha in his arms, "I'll make her breakfast, and you give her a bath," I take the mischievous munchkin from him and he sneakily places a kiss on my lips.

"Me too, Pretty Uncle!"

I laugh happily as Kiseok pecks her on the lips a few times, I just hope the happiness I'm currently feeling right now remains with me for a long time. I actually feel really comfortable with the way things are right now, and there's no doubt that I'm falling even deeper for Jung Kiseok.