THIRTEEN

Settle Down

I never imagined that something like this could even happen.

I knew Kim Sun Jae is an ideal jerk but I had no idea he would even go this far. I sigh deeply as I lift the small latch for the front gate as I quickly enter the premises.

I ignore the doorbell before me as I knock heavily on the front door, I pause for about five seconds, but no one comes to the door. I frustratingly run my fingers through my hair as I come to the conclusion that no one's home. 

I quickly blink away the tears as I move away from the front door in defeat, someone should be here at this time of the day. Just what the hell is happening?

As I make my way to the parked vehicle, my eyes spot a stout woman in an apron taking out the garbage. "Excuse me!" 

Her eyes meet mine as I jog towards her, I bow quickly and she does the same. "Did you happen to see anyone from house 39-5 today?"

"Ah, are you looking for Miss Nam?" I nod my head, "she left with her granddaughter earlier this morning."

It feels like I've fallen into a deep, dark, bottomless well. I've been driving around the city, checking places where they might be, but I've yet to find them.

Checking in with our mutual acquaintances hasn't given me the results I need either. So with no other option, I find myself at his apartment.

"Where is she?" I push pass him as I enter his apartment, "Mi Cha-ah! Mom's here!" I march from room to room in search of her.

"Yah, what are you doing?" Sun Jae and I meet in the living room after my empty search, "have you lost your mind?"

I sigh deeply, "where's my daughter?" He scoffs at the question, "are you aware that what you're doing is akin to kidnapping?"

I watch as he raises his eyebrows at the accusation, "is it? Where's the evidence?" I roll my eyes, "there could also be another side to this scenario."

I cross my arms, "I don't have time for your mind games you bastard. Tell me where Mi Cha is, I don't have time to waste with you, I need to file a police report after this."

He laughs, rather cynically I must add. "The courts always take into consideration the child's best interest during custody battles. And right now my child isn't in a suitable environment."

I furrow my eyebrows at his reasoning, "what kind of bullsh*t are you sprouting now?"

He takes a seat, then crosses his legs as he peers up at me. "I don't think that Mi Cha should be anywhere near that riffraff you call your boyfriend."

It's then that all the puzzle pieces fall perfectly into place, and I also suddenly begin to think about my time with Sun Jae. I know his personality very well, and so I think I know what all of this is really about.

"As much as I hate to admit this, but Mi Cha will never replace you with anyone else." He crosses his arms, "children are like that. It doesn't matter how many times you blow her off, she'll still love you."

He doesn't respond and so I continue, "and she loves Kiseok as well. He's a new addition to both Mi Cha and I's family, you need to respect that."

"I refuse to accept this," he stands to his feet, "as long as you're with that low-life, Mi Cha will never belong to you. You can show yourself out."

He heads towards the hallway and I run after him, I grab onto his arm and he turns around to face me. "I won't let you do this!"

He pushes me roughly, a small squeak escapes my lips as my wrist takes a hit when I land on the floor. "I'll see you in court, so get the f**k out of my apartment." 

It's been about four hours since I returned from Sun Jae's place, my knees gave out as soon as I had entered and I've been in the same spot since then. What am I supposed to do now? 

My entire body feels weak from all the crying I've been doing, I honestly thought that I was completely free from Kim Sun Jae and his schemes. I thought I became a better version of myself after my divorce, but I'm still weak.

The beeping sounds from the door catches my attention, but I'm too slow to get off the floor, and so Kiseok catches me in this state. "Dhi Ah!"

He rushes over to me, tears come to my eyes in an instant as he thoroughly checks my body. "What happened?" 

He wipes the tears away as soon as they exit my eyes, "talk to me, what is it? Where's Mi Cha?" I cry even more at the mention of her name.

"Let's get off the floor," he helps me up then leads me over to the couch, "I'm right here with you."

Sun Jae's words from earlier filter into my mind, and after a few deep breaths, I find the energy to speak. "I don't think we should keep doing this."

I don't look at him, but I know for sure that he's shocked at my words. More tears roll down my cheeks as we sit in silence, I pull my hand away from his as I stand.

"Ko Dhi Ah, just what..."

I find it in me to look at him, and he's furious. "There's a lot that's going on right now. I don't think it would be fair for you to be caught up in everything."

He sighs deeply, "you're not making any sense, baby. I think you need to calm down, we'll talk about this later."

I shake my head, "I don't have a choice!" I sniffle as the tears keep coming, "I'm giving you the chance to walk away before you get swallowed up in all of this. I'm about to get into a nasty custody battle, and my ex is going to use this relationship to paint me as an unfit mother."

He looks up at me, "let me help-"

I quickly interject, "no." I run my hands over my face, "I won't let you get dragged into this, it's my problem."

He stands and I remain silent, "like I said, you need to calm down and think clearly. I'll come check up on you in two hours, we'll think about how to deal with all of this..."

I look up at him as he wipes my tears away once more, "...together."

I want to say that I feel reassured with Kiseok by my side, but I honestly don't want him to suffer from any of this. So I wait awhile after he leaves before rushing out of the apartment, I know for sure that I've lost the ability to think critically because of this situation.

I speed through the streets of Seoul with one destination in mind, I can remember a time when I said that I would never return. I turned away from what seemed like harsh criticism at the time, and I promised myself that I wouldn't need them, that I wouldn't need her.

But I know that I need to swallow my pride if I want Mi Cha back, me showing up after all these years, will set off a chain of events that I'm not sure I'm ready for. So, with a heavy heart, I take a deep breath before ringing the bell at the iron plated gates.

"Who is it?"

Miss Moon's voice rings over the small speakers, I smile sadly as I remember how she used to listen to me whenever I would complain about the insignificant things. From the sound of her voice, I know that she has aged a lot, and I'm grateful that she's still here at the house.

"It's me," a few seconds pass by before the screen lights up with her shocked face. I bow politely, "ahjumma, I'm here."

I watch as her eyes instantly fill with tears, she nods her head then the gate beeps open, inviting me to finally face the music. I clear my throat awkwardly then enter, I clench my fist to prevent my hands from shaking as I walk up the stone steps to the front yard.

I look around nonchalantly, memories of my childhood filter through my mind in an instant, I turn around quickly as I refuse to be consumed with those moments. As I make my way to the door, Miss Moon rushes out, the disbelief evident on her face as she looks at me.

"Dhi Ah," she places a hand over her lips, "it really is you." I nod my head as I quickly become engulfed in her arms, "welcome back." 

She holds my cheeks in her hands and I smile sadly, "I'm sorry I took so long." She shakes her head, "but, I'm only here because I need help."

She nods in understanding, and I find myself being led inside the house, I look around once again, reminiscing on the many shouting matches my brothers and I had in these hallways. The winding stairs catch my attention, and without saying anything to Miss Moon, I make the dreadful ascend.

I know she should be home today, and so with shaking limbs I make my way to her home office on the second floor. I blow out a breath as I arrive, with all the strength I have left in me, I raise my hand and knock bravely on the door.

"Yes. Come in."

I my parched lips then push the door open, nothing much has changed about her, she doesn't even raise her head as she continues to browse through the files before her. Words fail me as I stand fixed in my spot and take her in, how long has it even been? 

I can only remember the last time I was standing in this very spot, I had a crying baby in my arms, as tears streamed down my own face. I remember what she said to me, and I told her that I have no intention of coming back here, and that I was capable of taking care of my own child.

I was an idiot.

"What is-" she stops mid-question as she looks up to see me standing before her. I say nothing, and I watch the pencil falls from her fingers, "Dhi Ah..."

With no other choice, I fall to my knees, and she gasps out of shock. "Mom, please help me."

I don't look up, but I know she has gotten up from her chair, I let the tears fall freely as she rushes over to me. "What's the matter? Did someone hurt you?"

I don't provide a verbal answer, instead I let myself be held in her arms as I cry my eyes out.

"BE careful, it's hot." I nod my head at her as she carefully places a steaming mug of tea in my hands.

"Thank you." I sit still, as I try to find the courage to open up to her.

"You look well," I turn to her with a small smile, "and you've been doing well, the managing partners at your firm sing your praises whenever they see me."

I raise my eyebrows at that, "do they?" I scoff playfully, "I think they're just currying favour."

She laughs softly, "I think so too." Silence engulfs for a bit, and I know that she's patiently waiting for me to spill the beans.

And it has always been like that, when I broke the news of my divorce, harsh words were exchanged between the both of us. But my mother has always been forgiving, and so she apologized two days after the argument.

I was the stubborn one, and there were days when I regretted how I was giving my own mother the cold shoulder. "I wasn't completely honest with you..."

I place the mug on the small coffee table before us then look at her, "...about the divorce, that is." I sigh deeply, "our marriage started to break down after I became pregnant."

"What?" she places her cup beside mine, "don't tell me that he..."

I nod my head, "that and more. He made me feel like I was a burden to him, he disrespected me, and I had to endure verbal, and emotional abuse as well."

"Why didn't you say anything?" I jump slightly as she shouts, "did you think that I wouldn't come running?"

My eyes fill with tears, "I'm sorry, Mom. I didn't want to seem weak, and I know it sounds stupid. But, I guess I let my pride get the best of me."

She takes my hand in hers, "that's alright, my child. You're telling me now, that's all that matters."

I nod my head, "I knew how much you and Dad liked him, I guess a small part of me didn't want to dirty his reputation."

I shake my head with a cynical laugh, "I'm so silly." I turn to look at and she greets me with a reassuring smile, "but, I met someone."

Shock comes over her features, "really? Tell me more!"

I giggle at the excitement in her voice and I fold my legs as I get even more comfortable. "he's not the type of man you and Dad would ever expect me to end up with."

She shakes her head, "as long as he loves and cherishes both you and Mi Cha, then I accept him."

I smile naturally, "that's the reason why I'm here." I sigh deeply, "Sun Jae's jealous tendencies has driven him crazy, he doesn't like that Mi Cha and I have someone else in our life. So he has taken her."

"What do you mean?"

"He wants to take me to court, but Mom, Sun Jae doesn't care about Mi Cha's best interest. He's just doing this to hurt me."

She takes a deep breath, "that little - " she stands to her feet, "don't worry, I'll take care of this. Stay here for a while, I'm sure you missed being here."

BY dinner time that very evening, Mom had managed to settle everything. I didn't even ask what she had done, or who she had called, but she basically ruined Sun Jae's plans.

News of my return spread like wildfire, Dad left work super early, and my older twin brothers somehow managed to make it home as well. Yuvan couldn't make it of course, but I spoke to him earlier over the phone.

Warmth spreads through my entire body as I sit and watch my parents scold the twins, it's like we're back in high school again. I can see how much my parents love having a full house, my brothers' wives and their children are here as well.

Mi Cha's the only one that's missing, Mom had extended some amount of courtesy to Sun Jae by allowing him to have one last night with her. But I'm just happy that this entire situation didn't develop into something even worse.

I don't think I would be able to live if I were to lose my child. "Yah, Dhi Ah," I look over at the twins, "stop playing with your food and go get the door."

I make a face, "why do I have to get it? Don't your legs work?"

Koe laughs loudly at our interaction, while Kian scowls at me. "I'm still your older brother, you should listen to me. And besides, you're the closest to the door."

I roll my eyes, "I don't want to move, if it bothers you that much, go get it yourself."

He huffs then quickly stand to his feet, our parents continue on with their meal as if nothing had happened. But I guess they're used to us arguing like this anyway.

Kian's voice travels from the front door, we pay no attention to what's being said, but then he shouts my name. I groan softly then stand out of annoyance.

"What is your problem? Not even the children shout this loudly. I can't-"

I stop mid-rant as I arrive at the front door, Kian's looking at me with raised eyebrows, but I ignore the look as I focus on something - well, someone else.

Standing by the doorway in all his glory, is Jung Kiseok. 

Tonight isn't gonna end well for me.