THREE

Settle Down

A lawyer's always busy.

There are some days when you feel like you hardly have the time to even think since you're always on the go, the moment a case presents itself there are numerous things which needs to be done. There's research, meeting clients, gathering evidence and most importantly, trying to find key witnesses if that's something that will help the case.

The difficult part of this line of work arises when you have back-to-back court days, sometimes you'll have two cases being tried on the same day so you'll find yourself living at the courthouse for the entire week, and while you're there, your trusted paralegal has to be running around trying to get things done last minute for the cases that you have the next day.

I guess it's also tough being a paralegal. 

Sunbae, I'm acting as a delivery boy today, and I'm meeting with clients, and for this I deserve a gold star.

Yours Truly, Jin Young.

I roll my eyes as I peel the post-it note off the door to my office, Jin Young can be really dramatic at times, but I guess I'll have to be a good senior and give him the gold star he deserves since the tower of files on my desk are now gone. I sit in my chair with a deflated sigh, don't get me wrong, I love my job and I like standing before a judge as I argue my points.

But I really don't like when I have to there hours upon end, I've never viewed the courthouse as somewhere comfortable. As I take my cross-body bag from off my shoulders, my elbow knocks my penholder to the floor scattering it's contents all over.

A small groan leaves my lips as I lower my body to retrieve the writing tools. "What's this doing here?" 

The various pens, pencils and highlighters become quickly forgotten as I pick the file docket from off the floor. My curiosity peaks tenfold as I open it up and check its contents, I sigh to myself as I realized it's just another one of those boring contracts I inherited from Lawyer Cha.

It must have fallen when Jin Young took the others from my desk this morning, and you know, I was about to close the docket and move on to something else, but there was some part of me that wanted to know the details of such contract, after all, there's no harm in that since the stupid thing was on my desk anyway. As I read through, a few words jump out at me, and it's then that I realize how doomed I am:

...Nike...

...promotional purposes...

...Woo Won Jae...

...Jay Park...

...AOMG...

I close the file in a flash as the acronym jumps out at me, I groan to myself as I realize the nature of the contract and that the signatures of the two CEOs aren't present. And if Nike is using artists from AOMG for promotions then that means they'll want to get started as soon as possible, and that also means that I'll have to deliver this contract to AOMG myself. 

"I don't really have to, Jin Young can do it." 

I hit my forehead on the desk as I realize that Jin Young won't be back anytime soon, and this is a very important contract, so it has to be delivered. In all honesty, I'm trying to stay as far away as possible from that record label, it's been two weeks since I last saw Mr. Jung Devilishly Handsome, and in those two weeks any paperwork that comes through here that has to deal with those celebrities are handled by Jin Young.

Of course I'm avoiding that Jung guy, he's every single woman's wet dream, if I must be blunt he sure as hell shows up in my dreams all the time, and I'm okay with just that, there's no space in my life for a man at this point. "Let's go," I pick up the file and my bag as I stand to my feet, "time to face the music." 

AN hour later I find myself outside the doors of the record label's office, and if I must be quite honest with myself I'm a bit nervous.

I'm nervous because I don't want to see a certain person because he'll probably accuse me for avoiding him again.

And I'm really nervous because it would be nice if I catch just a glimpse of his handsome face.

I shake my head as I try to rid my mind of unimportant thoughts, and with newfound confidence I knock on the door then open it before stepping inside.

Park Jaebeom, who I'm assuming goes by Jay Park stands from his chair as he sees me. I had made sure to phone before showing up since it would be rather awkward if I just popped by unannounced, "oh, Lawyer Ko, you're here." 

I bow at him in greeting then reach into my bag where I had securely stored the contract. "My paralegal seemed to have left this behind," I hand it to him, "it's your Nike contract." 

He snaps his fingers as he takes it from me, "thank you, we're all excited for this." 

He opens up the docket and quickly scribbles his signature on the dotted lines, my eyes widen out of shock as I realize how the CEO wasted no time in agreeing to the contents. "I'm assuming you read that first?" 

He blinks at me with a short nod of his head, "we already had round table talks with representatives from Nike, oh a few of your lawyers were there too," he smiles widely, "don't worry Lawyer Ko, if anything goes wrong we have you to defend us." 

I raise my eyebrows at him, "uh huh," I sigh softly, "anyway, get Mr. Jung to sign that and have it delivered to my office as soon as possible." 

He wriggles his eyebrows at me, "actually, he's in the studio next door," he closes the docket and walks towards the door, "let's go." 

I wanted to shoot off many excuses to the CEO as to why I couldn't accompany him, but I had to return to the office with a signed contract so I guess I lost against fate this time. I take a deep breath as music drifts through the hallway, Mr Park had already entered the room leaving me a step behind him so I had no choice but to enter since the door's wide open.

The small chatter comes to a pause as I enter, three pairs of eyes focus on me immediately, and I instantly felt like running away. "Hello," the other two men who I haven't met before bow in return, "I'm Lawyer Ko." 

Mr. Park hands the docket to Jung Devilishly Handsome who's now staring me down. 

"Guys, she's the boss of our new lawyers," Mr. Park turns to me as he points at the two men, "Lee Seong-hwa or Gray and Kwon Hyuk Woo or Loco," he pats the shoulder of the one called Loco, "say hi." 

He gives me a shy wave with both of his hands and I bow awkwardly at him, "um, there's something I wanted to show you two, let's go, right now." 

Like the outsider that I am I find it difficult to pick up on the meaning behind Mr. Park's sudden change in tone, but a part of me kinda had the feeling that he wanted me to be alone with the handsome man who hasn't said a word to me since I entered the studio. I pay close attention to the atmosphere as I look around the office, the slightly dark decor gave off a mellow vibe, the various equipment catches my attention, as well as the number of albums lined up on the shelves, my gaze then falls upon Mr. Jung as I turn around.

The few seconds of us staring at each other results in some cackling, rising tension that I couldn't place, and the only thing I could do to will the unknown feeling away, is to clear my throat. "Have you signed?" he nods his head then hands me the docket, "thank you." 

"So what happens next?" I couldn't look at him so I focus my eyes on the neon signs in the background, "you haven't called me yet."  

I grip the docket in one hand, as I scratch my head sheepishly with the next, "ah, I'm sorry about that." 

He nods his head, while he's comfortably sitting in the chair, I happen to be standing before him on shaking legs, and I suddenly feel like a naughty child before her parents. "Your paralegal told me that you're not married," oh Jin Young, "so do you have a boyfriend then?" 

I quickly shake my head, "nope, uh I mean no, I haven't, I don't have one of those." 

He leans forward as he nods his head, "that's good," he outstretches his hand and I look down at it, "your phone." 

I blink up at him, "wait a second, you didn't even let me explain myself," he leans back in the chair and raises his eyebrows at me, "due to circumstances way beyond my control, I ended up losing your number, I swear." 

It's silent between us for a while, Mr. Devilishly Handsome is becoming even more difficult to read the more time I spend with him, he doesn't say anything to my excuse but stands to his feet and approaches me. I had opted out on wearing heels today so I chose to go with a pair of flats, and I actually regret that choice since I realize how much taller he is. 

"Have you eaten?" 

I look at him, "what?" 

He chuckles, "let's have a meal together." 

I don't have an opportunity to verbally react as he holds on to my wrist and pulls me out of the studio, when we walk pass the office I come to the realization that the others wouldn't be joining us, and I start to grow a bit nervous. "Excuse me Mr. Jung," he looks down at me as we stand before the elevators, "I can follow perfectly fine without you dragging me along." 

He shakes his head but keeps his hold on my wrist, "I feel like if I let go then I'll lose you," my heart picks up its pace, "it's a bit crowded outside." 

Since I couldn't find the words to refute his statement I remain silent for the entire time it took us to get to a nearby restaurant. In order for me not to behave like an awkward penguin, I told myself that this is just a lunch meeting between myself and my client, nothing more and nothing less.

Mr. Jung and I settled down at the popular noodles restaurant and while I really wanted to explain in so many words that glass noodles are a high source of carbs, and it's been hard for me to shed the last of the weight I gained during my pregnancy so I'm watching my diet, I ended up stuffing my mouth with the contents of the bowl anyway since I didn't want to speak much. 

"Even when you're right in front of me you seem far away." 

I cough a bit as I drink some water, "Mr Jung-"

"Are you afraid to call me by my first name? Go ahead, I don't mind." 

I clear my throat, "Kiseok-ssi, I would really like for us to maintain a professional relationship while I'm acting as your legal representative."

He smirks at that and I have to clench my fist in my lap as to prevent myself from visibly swooning. "But I don't want that," he crosses his arms and leans forward, "I like you, and I want to get to know you more." 

There are times when I find myself watching one of those romance dramas on television, and then a stray thought hits me and I start to think how nice it would be for me to have a guy confess his feelings for me. And then when the credits start to roll and that beautiful OST plays at the end, I am then returned to my reality, and I realize there's no point in having daydreams.

But here in this restaurant, with its carb-filled menu, I'm finally living out those daydreams, and as much as Jung Kiseok is a handsome piece of specimen that sends my heart into a frenzy, I know deep within that engaging myself in any form of intimate relationship with the celebrity will bring nothing but harm. So instead of reacting the way I really want to, I nod my head at his confession then smile up at him.

"I uh," I sigh softly, "can I be honest and ask you a question?" he nods his head at me, "please take no offense, but are you interested in me because you're trying to fulfill some ual agenda?" 

The handsome celebrity chuckles softly at me but shakes his head in disbelief, I know I might have said something wrong since his facial expressions did not match his other actions. 

"Is that what you think of me?" he sighs deeply, "well that's kinda my fault since I labeled myself as a player." He gives me a searing look, "but this time it's different, so I'm laying all my cards on the table, and I'm letting you know that I'm interested in you." 

The sincerity in his words catches me off guard and I find myself blinking at him, as a lawyer I am always stocked with comebacks and always ready to shoot down someone's statement if I feel like it's senseless. But a confession such as this has rendered me speechless. 

"I appreciate that," I sigh once more, "a simple confession such as yours actually makes my day." I chuckle humorlessly, "but to be honest with you, I can't get involved with you as it would be unethical in the eyes of my superiors, and even if we were to overcome that, I am at a place in my life right now where I can't afford a relationship with potentially no future."

I hold my bag by it's handle then stand with a bow, "I'm sorry Mr. Jung, and thanks for the meal." 

Regret follows me all the way back to my office, and when I settled down in my bed later that night, I realize that I took the feeling home with me as well. But what can I do?

Jung Kiseok is a celebrity through-and-through, and if non-celebrity males finds me less interesting when they find out I'm a divorced, single mother, there's no doubt that a popular celebrity will have similar sentiments.