FOURTEEN

Settle Down

"I'M upset, just so you know."

I nod my head at that, I choose not to give any excuses as I can tell that he understands why I brushed him off like that. After Kiseok showed up things got a bit awkward at the dinner table, my brothers tried to intimidate him with their glares, but the rapper could care less.

My parents on the other hand were much more welcoming than I had expected them to be. They didn't really verbally approved of us, but my mom did mention that she trusts me, and she knows that I will do what's best for myself and Mi Cha.

"I'm sorry," I avoid his gaze.

He clears his throat, "I understand why you thought that us breaking up would be the best course of action." I chew on my bottom lip, "but at the same time, I thought I made myself clear. You shouldn't be pushing me away when things get tough, I'm here whenever both you and Mi Cha need me."

I blink away the tears, "I know." 

The rapper sighs deeply, "give me a hug." I welcomed the idea of being comforted by him, and so I let him wrap his arms around me. 

My body relaxes as the warmth from his transfers to my own, I close my eyes as I inhale his scent, and it's then that I tighten my arms around his waist. "By the way..."

I pull away and give him a curious look, "...how did you even know where to find me?"

"Jin Young," I roll my eyes and he chuckles at that, "I want to be the type of partner who respects your choices. But I just couldn't accept us breaking up like that, so when you weren't at the apartment, I called him."

I sigh softly, "he kinda at keeping secrets." Kiseok nods his head in agreement, "and I'm sorry about my brothers, they're really overprotective."

"I would've reacted the same way if my little sister brought a home a man." I shake my head at that, "and honestly, I'm glad you have such a strong support system. Your brothers have really big muscles."

I smile at that, "they scare you." He quickly shakes his head while muttering under his breath, "they've been in the military for years."

"That explains it," he clears his throat awkwardly and I giggle at his overall reaction to my brothers. "I hope I'll be the first person you think of running to, since I plan on being with you for a very long time."

Oh.

"We haven't really talked about our future in detail," I pull the blanket closer to me as I sit up in bed. "Have you ever thought about starting your own family?"

He hums in response, "on many occasions. It's just that, I've never thought of the exact age to settle down. But since I met you, I've been thinking about it a lot."

"Honestly," I flash him a look, "you don't seem like the type to get married."

He laughs loudly at the comment, "thanks for that Dhi Ah-ssi." I give an innocent shrug, "but you're kinda right. Have you ever thought about remarrying?"

I immediately shake my head, "I often felt like a sinner after getting a divorced. Can you imagine? My husband was the one who broke our vows, but most of the blame fell onto me. And then, I have a kid."

"I'm so sorry baby."

I nod my head, "it's fine. I came to the realization that I didn't need a man. I make good money, and I have a successful career. And after being married once, I thought that that was enough for me."

"I love you." The temperature in the room seems to have risen after he says that. "And I'm want to spend the rest of my life with you. You don't have to get married again."

I give him a watery smile, "I love you too Kiseok-ah." I take his hand in mine and our fingers immediately intertwine, "but, don't you want to experience what's it like to be married? You always mention both your parents, and your brother. I want you to have what they have."

He gently squeezes my hand, "but I already have that with you." He looks upwards, "although, I've never had honeymoon s*x."

I pull my hand away with a scoff, "you're incorrigible."

He chuckles menacingly, "but you still love me." I place a quick kiss on his cheek, "I think I like where this is going."

A squeal escapes me as he quickly rolls on top of me, "I'm gonna say something, and I want you to really think about it before giving me an answer." I nod my head and he leans closer, "I want you to be mother of my future children."

Well, sh*t.

"MOMMY!" Mi Cha's squeals ring out across the foyer as she races towards me. I smile naturally as I open my arms, Mi Cha waddles towards me with a big smile and tears naturally come to my eyes.

I lift her small body with a spin and she squeals in delight at the act, I hold her close to me as she buries her face in my neck. "I missed you so much my little puppy."

I pepper her small face with kisses and she giggles continuously, my mother approaches us with a warm smile of her own and I mouth a thank you to her. I know for sure that my emotions would get in the way, and I would never be able to win Mi Cha from that punk.

"It's a beautiful day, should we go out?" I nod my head at the question. My mother's warm smile remains on her face and I begin to feel like my old self again.

A small part of me keeps thinking back to the day I broke news about my divorce to my parents. They were angry about the entire thing, I didn't give them a reason for the divorce, nor did I tell them that I was even thinking about breaking off my marriage.

I treated it as yet another court action I had to handle, I ignored the built-up pain I was feeling from the moment my ex-husband began showing his true colours. I now understand why my own parents would be upset, I was hurting throughout my scam of a marriage and I didn't think to reach out to them.

"She's lovely," I look up at my mother with a smile as I wipe the corners of Mi Cha's mouth. "Dhi Ah, I'm sorry."

I shake my head at the apology, "it's okay. I understand how you and Dad must've felt. I thought of myself as a failure shortly after the divorce was finalized and so I kept it all to myself."

"You poor thing," she takes my hand in hers, "we'll always be here for you."

I nod, my throat tightens up and that prevents me from speaking. "Grandma, here." 

Mom smiles happily as Mi Cha offers her some ice cream, my smile remains intact as I watch them. I'm actually glad that I didn't continue to keep myself away from my parents.

I can't help but think how Mi Cha would've missed out on the love and support from her grandparents. "Mi Cha gets out of kindergarten at two, I'll let the school know that you'll be picking her up sometimes."

She hums in response, "and I'm guessing I'll also have to share her with a certain someone?"

My mother flashes me a knowing look and I clear my throat awkwardly, "Kiseok tries to spend whatever free time he has with her." I look down at my hands, "but he's a bit more busier these days."

"He really cares for her," I nod my head, "but why do you look so sullen?"

I shrug but decide to answer, "at first I didn't want to explore my early feelings for him. He's a celebrity, and his lifestyle is different from my own. I didn't want him to feel trapped, and I didn't want to Mi Cha to get too attached in case things went bad between Kiseok and I."

She sighs deeply, "I don't blame you for feeling that way, those are genuine concerns any single mother would have in a similar situation. I'm happy that you've found someone who love and respects both you and Mi Cha, so don't hold yourself back anymore Dhi Ah."

I flash her a teary smile, "I won't."

wave my hand as a knock sounds from the doorway, I keep shifting through the case summary before me without looking away. "Lawyer Ko..."

I peek over my glasses at Ji Young's hesitant voice, "sorry to bother you, but you have a visitor."

"Who is it?" he shifts from foot to foot, "it's okay, let him in." I take a deep breath as Ji Young disappears for a few seconds.

I remain seated as the uninvited guest appears at the doorway, he confidently steps in the office then closes the door behind him. I cross my arms against my chest, I want to look confident, but this is just my way of trying to feel safe.

"Ko Dhi Ah," he looks around the office as he utters my name, "the view is immaculate."

"What do you want?" he comes closer to my desk then takes a seat, "make this quick, I have to be at court in two hours."

"You called the cavalry," I raise my eyebrows at that, "like the spoiled, little girl you are, you ran to your mother."

I sigh softly, "I had no choice, you backed me in a corner." I tilt my head as I look at him, "why would you even challenge the custody arrangements anyway? It's not like you were desperate for more time with our daughter."

He throws his head back with a laugh, "do you really think I was willing to let another man take on my role as a father? I know you won't believe this, but I had plans of reconciliation."

"You're full of , do you know that?" He blinks at me as I lean forward, "as if I would've gotten back with your sorry ."

Sun Jae scoffs at my response, "you even sound like that bastard."

I roll my eyes as, "he may have a foul mouth but at least he's not a cheater."

"And you would really allow someone with a character like that around Mi Cha?"

"Stop acting all high and mighty," I shake my head as I look at him, "you may have put in some amount of hard work, but don't forget that it's the support of my parents that got you this far."

He opens his mouth to say something but I beat him to it, "you were only looking for a quick ride to the top, that's the only reason why you got married to me in the first place."

I push the chair backwards as I stand to my feet, "and I'm so stupid! Why did I even talk my Mom out of getting you transferred to some backwater district?" 

I look down at him, my confidence rises as I perch on the desk, "just take whatever scraps my family throws you and live quietly you ."

My sour mood accompanies me all the way to the court house, it clings to me as I leave as well, and it's all thanks to that bastard Kim Sun Jae. He's really something else, I can't believe he even had the confidence to visit me like that.

And I'm kinda angry too, he obviously didn't come to my office to discuss the new custody arrangements. I'm beginning to think that he doesn't care about Mi Cha at all, he only shows concern when Kiseok is involved.

What right does he have to act like a jealous fool?

"What's with that face?" I stop in my footsteps at the sound of his voice. My eyes well up with tears as I look upon his masked face, and before I could think about anything else, I run toward him.

"I missed you," he tightens his arms around me as I crash into him. I pull away, "for once I'm not pissed at Jin Young for giving away my location."

The rapper chuckles softly then pulls the mask away from his mouth, "you look so tired." His thumb caresses my cheek, "let's go, I'll take you home."

"...THAT'S a square!" I watch as Mi Cha excitedly pushes Kiseok's hand away. He chuckles as he finds joy in teasing her, I can't help but smile naturally at the sight.

The two have been playing since the moment they finished eating, and as I sit and watch them interact, everything just feels so right. If I could, I would freeze this moment and stay here forever.

The worries I carry with me throughout the day seemed to have vanished, being like this with both Kiseok and Mi Cha does make me happy. My smile grows even wider when I realize that I could have many more moments like this one.

My mind immediately flashes back to that night, Kiseok's suggestion rings in my head and I begin to seriously consider it. It's obvious that my life would change, but I'm not scared of the outcome.

As long as I have Kiseok by my side, there's nothing to fear.

"That took longer than I expected," Kiseok yawns tiredly as he climbs into bed after putting Mi Cha down.

"Where does she get all that energy?" I giggle softly at the question as I place my IPad on the floor. "She begins and ends her day really energized. I'm kinda jealous."

I roll my eyes playfully at him as I turn on my side, he comfortably wraps me in his arms and I smile softly. "You're just getting old."

He chuckles softly, "I won't argue with you on that. Should I turn off the lamp?"

I sit up quickly, "wait, there's something I want to talk to you about." He sits up as well and I take a deep breath, "I thought about what you said the other night."

He hums, "you don't have to give me your answer so quickly."

I nod my head then look at him, "I know, but there's a lot to consider, and I don't want to waste any time."

He takes my hand in his, "I know, but I don't want to rush you."

I raise our intertwined hands and places a kiss on his knuckles, "and I love you for that. I've seen how you are with Mi Cha, and I know that you'll be a great father to your own child."

I take a deep breath, "my mother told me that I shouldn't hold back anymore, and I've been trying to break that habit." I look at him with a small smile, "I wanna be with you, for the rest of my life, and I want to have another baby, with you."

I mirror his expression as his eyes water, "yeah? You mean that?" I nod my head at his questions, "I love you so much."

His kiss isn't unexpected and so I welcome his lips on mine, "I love you too," I look back at him as we pull away, "and thank you for being with me."

He shakes his head, "I feel like I should be the one thanking you, Dhi Ah. I'll cherish and protect you and Mi Cha's three younger siblings as long as I'm alive."

I laugh heartily at that, "yeah, let's just stick with one for now, and we'll revisit this conversation at a later date."

Kiseok looks back at me, "I love when you put those lawyer moves on me," I roll my eyes but my smile remains, "it makes me wanna do something bad."

I raise my eyebrows as I play along, "then do it Jung Kiseok."

I squeal as he reaches pass me and turns off the lamp, we laugh in unison as the dark room engulfs us. And for the rest of the night, I cling to him happily as I dream about our future together.


THE END :)