TWO

Settle Down

THE thing about being a career woman is that there's hardly anytime for you to enjoy recreational activities. 

It's pointless to go drinking one evening after work since you'll probably only stay at the bar for about an hour, it makes no sense to get drunk since you'll have to get up early in the morning for court, and then you have tons of meetings in the afternoon anyway. For some of us, the weekend presents itself as a saviour, many single career women use those free days to do whatever it is they couldn't do during the week, some find the free days as a way to recharge themselves for the upcoming week.

As for myself, everything else is a bit different.

The good thing about working in a law firm that understands the needs of people is that I get to go home on time, anyone in their right mind wouldn't expect a divorced, single mother to go into overtime when there's someone of much more importance waiting at home. But as for me, when I spend so much time with my child, I find that the weekends becomes boring without her.

The thing about being divorced, is that as a parent you try your best to ensure that the permanent separation doesn't negatively affect your child, so things like visitational rights are assigned to the other parent so he doesn't feel left out of his child's life. So my weekends are always boring and the only thing I do on those free days is catch up on some sleep. 

"...I'm telling you, I'm going to resign." 

There are times when the work week starts and you are able to leave the office for meetings, your supervisors tell you to take your time with the client so you can fully be prepared for that day in court, but for a single parent like myself, outside meetings are a way for me to catch up with the people that I haven't seen in a while. So screw the firm's time, not because I don't work overtime doesn't mean that the bastards don't work me to the bone by assigning more cases on top of the ones I already have. 

"Aren't you going back to the office?" 

Even though work and raising a child takes up most of my time, it's a must to maintain your friendships, or else you'll be finding yourself feeling a bit lonely at times. 

"Screw the prosecution," I chuckle as I watch her take a hearty sip of her beer, "I, Kim Ji Na, will always fight cronyism," the prosecutor pouts as she places her cup on the table,"but I have bills to pay so if I want to keep my job then I'll just have to do what I'm told." 

"Just recite the prosecutors' oath, that's what I did to the Chief any the time he wanted me to go easy on some rich kid." 

She shakes her head, "I don't have the guts to say no. You're still popular back at the office," she looks ahead dreamily, "Ko Dhi Ah, the prosecutor who worked for a year and six months before being stolen by Lee & Ko." 

I roll my eyes, "there's a lot that's expected of me since I come from such a big law firm," I sigh deeply, "but I'll never go back to being a prosecutor." 

Ji Na chuckles, "the only way I'll quit is if I find a rich..." she trails off as she looks ahead, "...and he just walked in." 

I furrow my eyebrows at her as she quickly reaches into her handbag and pulls out her makeup bag that she carries around, I shake my head at her and return to my kimchi stew. Kim Ji Na and I went to high school together, but while I opted for studying at Harvard she remained here in South Korea as she didn't want to leave.

The good thing about our friendship is that it was able to withstand the distance that was between us. 

"Yah, what are you doing?" I give her a weird look, "do you think I would try to set myself up with good-looking guys and leave you out?" 

I place my spoon down with a sigh, "you of all people know what happens when I try to date, the guys call it quits when they find out I have a kid, if a man can't be with me because I have a child then he can go to hell for all I care." 

She nods her head, "that's true, but don't worry, I met a guy through a mutual friend, he's single too, but his wife died." 

I sigh sadly, "poor guy, he must be hurting." 

She shakes her hands at me, "you're the perfect medicine," she looks ahead once more, "anyway, in two seconds I want you to turn around and look at the table in the corner." 

I make a face at her but turn around anyway at the two seconds mark, I furrow my eyebrows and squint as I recognize one of the four men, I look back at Ji Na and she smiles expectantly at me. 

"I know one of them," I place my phone in my bag as I start to get ready to leave. 

"W-what? Which one? How do you even know celebrities?" 

I give her a deadpanned look, "are celebrities even that important? I have a partners' meeting, so I'm leaving." 

She pouts at me but gathers her things anyway, Ji Na grows quiet as we make our way to the front to pay which is quite unlike her to be honest. Most people I've met are of the view that lawyers are liars and that lawyers talk a lot.

Well I don't know about the lying part but Ji Na does like to talk, I mean, she's always talking, so after taking my wallet from my bag I was met with a surprised look on her face. "Wh-" 

"Lawyer Ko?" 

I spin around at the sound of name, I freeze momentarily as I stare into the eyes of Mr. Jung Devilishly Handsome, I was about to question why he's here but then I remembered I caught a glimpse of Park Jaebeom at that table. "Oh, Mr. Jung," I bow at him, "hello." 

He bows in return, "are you leaving already?" I nod my head, "ah really? That's too bad, I actually wanted to talk to you about something." 

I raise my eyebrows, "oh, is it about your contract?" I look at my watch, "I can't accommodate you right now, but I can pencil you in for a meeting." 

He chuckles with a shake of his head and I start to grow confused at his reaction, the CEO turns to Ji Na and his upper lip lifts upwards in a small smirk. My mind draws a blank as his sheer handsomeness hits me with full force. 

"Is she always this busy?" I don't see Ji Na's reaction as I keep my eyes on his plump lips, he focuses his eyes on my face again, "so busy that she can't even send me a text?" 

I furrow my eyebrows as confusion now washes over me, I don't think he has ever given me any of his contact information when I met him for the first time, but then, someone did leave me something. "The note, was that you?"

He places both hands in his pocket and shrugs at me. "So you did get it. Are you just leaving me out in the dark then?" 

I blink at him, "I'm, uh no."

His smirk returns, "good. I guess I can wait for you some more then," he winks at Ji Na and I, "I'll see you around." 

I stand frozen as he leaves us, his lingering, manly scent is the only thing that remains behind, and as it engulfs us it feels like a reminder that that very moment did just happened, it wasn't a dream at all. Ji Na and I paid in silence and exited the restaurant in the same state as we both tried to swallow everything.

For Ji Na, I'm guessing she's a bit starstruck by his very presence, while as for me, I'm trying to understand what the hell does all of that conversation mean. "Dhi Ah, did Ssam D just talk to us?" I hum in response, "did he give his number to you?" 

I look at her with a shrug, "I did get a note." 

She widens her eyes at me, "so? What the hell happened to it?" 

I flash her a look, "I placed it on the coffee table with some other papers," she closes her eyes and nods her head, "but you know Ji Na-ah, I left Mi Cha there to draw this morning while I took a shower." 

ANOTHER thing I've learnt while being a single mother of a three year old is that in order for you to teach your child patience, you as a parent also have to learn the art of waiting.

While I tried to get ready for work this morning, Mi Cha had suddenly woken up quite early, so the only way I could keep her preoccupied was provide her with some material for drawing. There will be moments when you feel like you've achieved a win after getting your rather mischievous child to settle down, that very win is then swept from under you when you blank out during an important meeting, as you finally remember that your daughter showed you a drawing on the very paper the weird secretary gave to you the week before. 

"Mommy!"

A very small and lively person greets me at the door as I enter the apartment, a smile breaks out on my face as I pick her up off the floor and hug her tightly. After a long day at work most singles that I know go home to have a lonely dinner accompanied with a glass of wine. 

And for them that's something normal, but for a woman like myself, my child is the ultimate medicine, seeing her smile actually makes me a whole lot better. "You're here?" 

I bow at Mrs Park as she smiles up at us, "Mi Cha didn't misbehave did she?" 

The caretaker chuckles at my question but shakes her head, "I've been with her for two years, she's such an angel."

I place Mi Cha in her new high chair then sit beside her, "she keeps biting the other children though, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to kick her out." 

Mrs. Park lets out a hearty laugh as she removes her apron and hang it on its rightful hook by the pantry. I run my hand over Mi Cha's hair as she picks up some grains of rice with her hand and stuffs it in . 

"Little children get up to all sorts of mischief when they're young, all of mine sure did, don't worry Dhi Ah, she'll grow out of it." 

I nod my head at her, "okay, thanks for coming Mrs. Park, I'll see you tomorrow." 

I stand up as she gathers her belongings, she pats Mi Cha lovingly on her head then heads to the door and I follow behind her. We say our goodbyes at the point of entry and exit of my home, and I'm left alone with my child once more.

When I return to the kitchen I find a giggling Mi Cha climbing on top of the island, I shake my head at the sight then pick her up, she laughs happily as I twirl her around. A small laugh leaves my lips as we sit on the couch, "did Mi Cha-ah enjoy dinner?" 

"Yes!" 

I hum, "did Mi Cha-ah bite anyone at preschool today?" 

She blinks up at me with her big, bright eyes but remain silent, and that's when I knew that while she might not have bit anyone, she was up to something today. "Mommy gets really sad when Mi Cha's a bad girl. Does Mi Cha-ah want to see Mommy sad?" 

The little girl blinks a few times at me then quickly shakes her head, "then will Mi Cha-ah stop biting her friends then?" 

She nods her head at me with a small smile and I place a soft kiss on her forehead, knowing her temperament she'll probably hold her promise for about two days before biting someone again. 

"Wanna show Mommy your drawings?" she giggles softly at me and that's when I know she did something out of the ordinary, "Mi Cha-ah, where did you put your drawings? Show Mommy." 

She climbs off my lap and starts running, I furrow my eyebrows as I follow her toward the bathroom, when I get there she has one hand over to cover the sound of her giggles. My eyes follow her finger to the toilet which could only mean two things:

1. Mi Cha ripped up the drawings and flushed the pieces down the toilet.

2. Jung Devilishly Handsome's number is lost forever. 

"Mi Cha-ah," she looks up at me, "did Daddy teach you how to flush over the weekend?"

"Yes!"

I sigh softly then pick her up and head back to the kitchen where I place her in the high chair, which I might have to replace again"Okay baby, what did Daddy say you should put in the toilet?"

"Mi Cha puts pee-pee Mommy!" 

I hold up my hand, "high-five!" she giggles happily as she hits her small hand against my own, "if you only put pee-pee in the toilet then Mommy will buy Mi Cha a treat, okay?" 

She nods her head at me, and that was it for the night in terms of the toilet talk, towards the end of the night while I got Mi Cha ready for bed, I thought about the entire situation. Jung Kiseok is currently my client, and while acting as his legal counsel, it would be rather unethical for me to be intimately involved with him.

And I take the fact that my own daughter ripped up the paper with his number on it, as a sign that if I foolishly pursue this, then it won't turn out well for anyone who's involved. So let's just agree to forget about everything and focus on the more important things in my life.