Sailing through Life

My Boss and his Assistant

No matter how late or how long the flight was, his fatigue was not what was on his mind. He didn't say a word to his family as he dropped the bags off to the side in the living room before making his way up the stairs. He turned the corner as if he was heading to his room. That was not the case however for he had only flattened himself against the wall so that he could still see his mom but he would be hidden so that she couldn't see him. Just as he had predicted, she was making sure that he had actually gone to his room. 

He took quiet steps as he reached for the knob of his door, pretending to open it, and then close it just to make it realistic. He craned his neck, seeing that she had disappeared to her room on the main floor. A smile lined his face as he crept across the hall to her room.

----------------

She couldn't see his face this time but she felt his presence as he moved closer and closer out of the dark. She struggled to scream, she could feel it in except she couldn't make a sound for his soul had come out and trapped her, suffocating her as he ever so gently touched her.

It hurt, so badly. She tried to claw him and push him just to be able to get her breath back however her attempts only brought on desperate gasps for air. He reached up to move the hair sticking to her sweaty face when suddenly her movements had stilled and her head lifting to stare at the faceless figure when she realized she had gotten her breath back. It was odd, but at the same time, she felt a surge of strength and confidence zip though her.

She gritted her teeth as she grabbed onto him, twisting on his arm so that he was flipped onto the ground with a sickening crash. A pair of handcuffs had appeared out of nowhere in her hands as she stared at it before quickly climbing on top of him to cuff him for his assault.

"Yoona" 

She frowned as he pleaded her name, his voice sounding scarily familiar....

"Are you okay?" It was clearer this time for the blurred echoing had stopped. ---

 

"Yoona"

She opened her eyes, taking a moment to realize that she was in her room and not in an alley even when the circumstances felt so similar. She blinked, regaining her senses as she finally made out the face she had been staring at blankly for awhile.

"Seunghyun?" she squeaked out in a daze, making no effort to get out of the position she was in. She had his arm gripped in her hands as she sat on top of him who was lying clueless under her.

"It's me" he said cautiously, noticing her irregular breathing and the death grip she had on him.

She immediately let go of his arm, finally putting the pieces together that she had re-enacted what she was doing to the man in her nightmare to him. He reached up to her face, fixing a stray hair. That's when it all made sense, how she had suddenly felt so strong and peaceful when the man in her dreams had touched her hair. He was by her side and even in her sleep, she felt it. She stared at him in wonder at what he could do to her. "What's wrong?" he spoke quietly.

"It's you" she breathed. Without warning she lowered herself so that her lips crushed onto his, a result of her overpowering emotions. Somehow, just by seeing his face, she felt so calm and at ease. She couldn't understand how all the fear and sadness she had felt moments ago were thrown away and replaced with happiness when he was there, it was overwhelming to be on such a rollercoaster of emotions.

At first, his eyes had widened in surprise as his hands lay forgotten by his side as she attacked his lips with urgent kisses. Never have they kissed like this. His eyes slowly closed, an indication that he was being lured in. His hands had moved to hold onto her arm that was cupping his face as if trying to tell her to ease off.

"I've-" he tried speaking up to interrupt the kiss before he lost control, however he was cut short as she turned her head to kiss him again. "Missed-" her fast pace only spared him one word at a time, "you-" his hands had slowly moved to her back despite his efforts to stop exactly that. "Too-mmph" he groaned, finally giving up. His hands were soon tangled in her hair and in the fabric on her waist as he stopped resisting to her charms, not when he felt like his lips were smoking from the heat and passion that were exchanged through them.

She yelped when he suddenly tossed her over so that now he was on top. He pulled her leg up so that they were on his side. Her hands were gripping onto his nape. He broke the kiss as he lightly kissed her neck. He had missed her and her scent that as soon as he caught a whiff of it again, his movements stilled as he remembered that this was her.

"Yoona" he came face to face with her again although his voice was hushed and husky. He was glad to see that he had stopped at the right moment because relief was written on her face. 

A smile appeared on her face as she played with his ear.

"Were you that happy to see me?" he . In response, she had snapped out of her reverie as she finally rolled her eyes, pushing him off her being very much embarrassed by her impulsive actions.

"What are you doing here?"

"Where?" At home or in your bed?"

She gave him a disapproving look, making it obvious what she had meant. "You're not supposed to be home until tomorrow night" she softened up again seeing his smile to her reaction. 

"I wonder what would have happened if I waited another day to come back. I shouldn't have stayed up rushing to finish paperwork so that I could come back early" he pretended to regret his decision.

She hit his chest before turning her back to him to hide her face. "You're the worst. Goodnight" she dismissed him.

She could feel the rumble of his chest as he scooted closer to her. "This just reminded me... You lost our bet"

Her eyes flung open. She had completely forgotten about it. She shook her head in denial.

"Be prepared to wake up early tomorrow. Really early" he emphasized.

She curiously turned so that she could try to catch a glimpse of what he was thinking. "What are we doing?"

"You'll find out tomorrow. This is my condition, so no grumbling when you get shaken up okay?"

She pouted "Okay"

"Good, now get back to bed." he ushered her preparing to step out.

"Wait" she held onto his hand, "can you stay until I fall asleep?"

Although he became concerned with the desperateness in her tone, he obliged anyways. He lightly kissed her head as he pulled the blanket over her, moving off to the side to watch her close her eyes.

"Don't stare at me though" she had mumbled.

He smirked. "It's not like I could do anything else"

She gave him a kick under the blankets. "Turn around" she grumbled. 

He only laughed as his hands shuffled under the blankets to grab her leg, wrapping it around his body before he listened and turned around. She giggled before finally settling down. After awhile, he finally felt her body droop.

---------------

"Sleepy head" 

Her eyebrows knotted in a blur.

"Wake up sleepy head"

Her eyes slowly opened, about to complain until she had woken up just enough to remember his request. She welcomed the sight of him in his casual wear which consisted of jeans and a white t-shirt. 

"Get up, we're leaving in 15" he cooed. 

She silently groaned as she kicked the blankets off of her before heading to the shower.

He was about to call her but she had emerged right on time. At 4 o'clock am, she couldn't look any more radiant with her parted straight hair and her bare face. She had donned loose shorts and an oversized hoodie that she looked comfortable in.

"We're not going anywhere fancy right? Is this good?"

He smiled genuinely at her. "You're perfect."

--------------

The sky was still dark as they smoothly glided over the empty roads to a destination that he refused to reveal to her. The only thing she could remember was the soft music playing in the car that lulled her back to sleep.

Her ears came alive as she heard the gawking of birds and steps on board panels. She slowly drifted out of sleep as the engine stopped roaring and they came to a stop. She sat up straighter, exploring the sights outside the window. She rubbed her eyes as she turned to him, hoping he would finally tell her where they were because she still couldn't make out the location.

He simply shrugged as he stepped out of the car. He took her hand once he was by her side before he led her up onto the boardwalk. As they continued to walk, she spotted a small seafood restaurant situated on the side. Her head followed the site as he continued to lead her and when she finally faced the front again, she stopped in her tracks in awe. There they were, by the dock where hundreds of boats were lined up towards the wide open waters.

"W-we're going on a boat?" she whispered to herself.

"Don't freak out just yet" he squeezed her hand before they both looked at each other, before they both started running to where his boat was.

They scavenged through the row of boats until he finally slowly down as they arrived at his boat. It was not the biggest one there, however it would easily her favorite. It was painted an elegant white that contrasted the rustic burgundy rims that lined it. Unlike the other perfect yacht-like boats, his was a big sailboat. She was surprised to see that he had owned one of the most simplest boats there but nevertheless embraced the idea that not everything he wanted had to be too fancy or luxurious. He helped her onto the boat in which she found a bundle of blankets and pillows romantically arranged at the deck of the boat. She was instantly touched and very much enthusiastic with the idea as she turned to him who was untying the boat from the dock. Very soon, he untied the ropes to release the matching sails of burgundy and that was when the boat finally started rocking through the waters. 

She loved the feeling of the wind crawling through her hair as she slowly stood up from her spot on the side. She glanced over to him, seeing the same smile on his face as he was behind the steering wheel, looking at her as well. He nodded for her to come over to his side and so she made her way through all the poles and ropes until she reached him. He immediately made some space gesturing for her to stand in front of him. 

Her eyes widened, immediately stepping back from his offer. She can't possibly control something so massive especially when it was still relatively dark out. He did not take no for an answer however so he gently pulled her in front of him. He ran his hands down her arms, giving her shivers, before they landed on her cold hands and placed them on the wheel. 

"I'm right here" he whispered into her ear as she finally looked out into the vast dark blue to see that she really was steering it. She quickly glanced back to him with a wide smile. "That's it" he steadied her as he gradually let go of her hands and placed them on her hips. He had chose the perfect moment because they were out in the open so even if she was a little wobbly, it wouldn't be affected. Soon, when he had found his ideal spot, he turned off the rudders so the boat would have no power, and then just by slacking the mainsheet all the way, the boat came to an easy stop. 

"It should be about time" he finally spoke up as they both walked to the layers of blankets and pillows that made a perfect bedding. He sat her down and came beside her before grabbing another blanket and wrapping it around both of them as they sat there. 

"Time for what?" she was confused as to why they were just sitting there. 

"It's 5:38....39" he hoped that it would come up just as he stated it. She raised an eyebrow as she looked at him before she saw his smile. She looked past him to see the sky on fire, light colors starting to surround them as it peaked from its hiding place behind the hills in the distance. She had never witnessed a sunrise, only the sunset with Jiyong. She stared on with awe as it progressed quickly from light colors to darker shades, and then lighter again. He didn't care about the sights of the sunrise, he was too busy looking at her and her animated facial expressions as she watched. He could only smile at the person in front of him. 

They both sat there in a comfortable silence, in the trance-like state as both were wrapped around their own thoughts. Finally, as the sky became a beautiful baby blue, she turned to him with sparkling eyes. "Thank you"

"Did you like it? I'm sorry for dragging you out here so early just to watch something so short-

"I loved it. Everything. From the boat to the scenery. This isn't very much of a punishment for our bet"

"Well I guess skinship isn't punishable then" he joked. He felt that it was the perfect moment to lean in for a kiss. Just as their lips were about to touch however, she had shaken her head against his, turning back to the front. She stared at nothing in particular as the thoughts that appeared when she was looking at the sunrise got the best of her.

"What's on your mind?" he asked gently as he saw that look on her face. That distant look whenever she felt lost, he's noticed it countless times to know what it had meant.

"I've never felt so special in my life"

"Well you deserve-"

"I don't like it"

He frowned as he spun to face her knowing that she had something to say. She only stared ahead still deep in thought.

"I was out with Jiyong yesterday and then we went to visit the orphanage because I wanted to donate meats. Being there reminded me of the day I got to ride a horse" she gave him a small smile. "So, I headed over there to show my gratitude and give them a portion of the box. As soon i got there....his mom had told me that....that-" her voice cracked as her eyes brimmed with tears. He lay a soothing hand on hers, knowing exactly what she was going to say.

"Mir had been in a car crash and had died the day before. Something..." a tear rolled down her cheeks. "Something in me, i don't know what, a light or something went out at that moment. Just a few days ago, we met him. We met him and he was laughing and joking and now he's dead? How is he dead!" she had raised her voice hysterically.

"Yoona"

She shook her head as she finally faced him with her tear stained face. "It was a wake up call Seunghyun. One where I never cared about because people die everyday! It never affected me until now because I...I finally have something to lose. It's frightening. What if one day I had lost you, Jiyong, halmeoni, my new friends, I don't know if i'll be able to handle being alone anymore. I'm petrified." 

He played with her fingers as he waited for her to let out everything she had bottled up inside. When he only heard her sobs, he finally spoke up. "What you're feeling now is exactly how I felt since I was seven" 

Her head raised in shock to his confession.

"Whenever I looked at my parents, all I saw was love and happiness. Contrary to what you might have thought, I had a very joyful childhood. My dad spent all the time he had with me teaching me how to play sports and video games, he taught me about girls and would always tease me when he saw me with any of them. My mom would tuck me into bed, make me my favorite meals, plan my birthdays and events. I had everything in the world, but then I turned seven and the rug was pulled from right under me."

She could hear his change in tone as she scooted closer to him. The roles were reversed for she was playing with his hands now as she listened intensively.

"My father had became immensely sick and although I would always be by his side every night, he still had to make sure I went to bed on time so I was shooed away. The next morning, he was gone forever. I was so mad at the world and so hurt that I swore i would never want to feel like that again and so I cut off all connections with friends and family. I didn't bother trying to avoid my mom because she wasn't there anyways. She had completely changed into a cold person which was probably where I got my traits from. I saw no love from her and all she ever tried to do was mold me into my father."

He really did not help her for she was only crying harder now, but for him. 

"That's why I always try to cut her some slack, she's been through quite a lot." Suddenly, his lips lifted upwards slightly."I met Jiyong a few years after when me and my mom had gone to visit my father's grave. He was there visiting his father's as well. I thought he was the most annoying kid ever because he was always trying to become my friend. I don't know how he put up with me for all those years but he did and I was so use to him being around that we automatically became best friends. When we became older, even when he disapproved of my tactics, we stuck together. And then I realized, I was never really alone. Opening up to Jiyong was probably the best thing I ever did because I can't imagine what would have happened to me if I hadn't"

He cupped her face so that she would look directly at him. "All I'm saying is... you can't be afraid of living Yoona. And if you are, you'll always have me, and Ji, and just all of us"

He earned himself a smile as she wiped away her tears. "The part about your mom, I guess I'll have to try to get use to her if I'm to be your girlfriend."

"She's actually not too bad-" his eyes widened. "Wait? M-my girlfriend?"

She wrapped her arms around his neck after feeling freed with herself. "If it's not obvious, I want to be your girlfriend Choi Seunghyun"

His heart leapt for joy in his chest as he got up onto his feet, forcing her up as well with the way she was positioned. He picked her up and spun her in his arms as she squealed in delight. 

"IM YOONA FELL FOR ME!" he had announced to the world.

"Pfft, do you see how happy you are right now?" she had rebutted when he had finally let her down.

"No, I'll be happier if I did this..." he led her behind the sails where they were hidden so only them two would know what happened back there.

---------------

She opened her eyes to find herself wrapped in his arms with bundles of blankets draped over them. It still being so early in the morning, they had laid on the boat talking and staring at each other until they had both fallen asleep. The sun was above them now, irritating her eyes as she turned her head to find him beside her, still soundly asleep. She couldn't understand why they had chosen to stay outside when there was a cabin on the boat where they could have easily slept without being bothered by sun and wind. He looked so calm and handsome even when he's not trying to be. 

She remembered what he had told her about him staying up to finish his work so that he could come back early. She smiled to herself as her hands moved up to run her hands through his hair. He stirred, peeking an eye open before pulling her closer to him and taking in her scent again. 

"Are you hungry?" he muttered, still half asleep.

She didn't waste any time to spring up from her position slapping his chest in excitement. "I thought you'd never ask!"

He coughed due to the impact of her hit. "Yoona! That hurt"

"Oh stop being a baby, I'm hungry"

He couldn't help but rollover and sit up, stretching his limbs as he got up. "Man, I've gotten myself a violent one:

She proudly laughed before brushing her hair out of her face as she followed his back view. "Wait! Where are we eating?"

"What do you mean where are we eating? We're eating on this boat!" He called after her. When he saw her get up to her feet, he immediately stopped her. "Stay right there. I'll do everything"

She pouted as she saw him disappear into the cabin. Being curious as to what was really in there, she silently crawled her way to the small window located above the deck that peered into the cabin. There she saw a small living room like area separated by a counter that led to the kitchen. She also saw a few other doors that she assumed to be the rooms. Finally, she spotted Seunghyun in the corner, his body blocking whatever he was trying to make. Suddenly, he had spun around to face her direction, not wanting to be caught spying, she immediately ducked, hoping she would be out of his vision. 

After a few moments, she peeked back up, glad to see he was back at work. She had to hide again shortly after he decided to shift workplaces in a spot that faced right in front of her, making her job much harder. The next time she came up, she swore that she had caught his eye, however, if she had, he showed no signs of seeing her. Lurking in the corner of the window, she knew he had seen her with the teasing smile he had on his face. That smile killed her as she briefly looked away only to find an empty room when she looked back. She immediately straightened her neck in confusion, trying to find him. 

He couldn't help but smile as he hid right under the window so no matter how hard she looked, she wouldn't be able to see him. When he let her search a bit, he finally popped up in front the window, laughing at her hilarious surprised expression. She immediately knocked at the window as a harmless form of revenge. He placed his hand on the glass, something he's seen in a movie, secretly hoping she could connect hers to it. She slid back over, staring at his hand as he nonchalantly acted like he didn't care as he got back to cooking. Her fingers involuntarily crept up the window and very slowly, placed her hand on his.

He could remember the times he would watch dramas and roll his eyes at cheesy things like this, however finally being able to experience it with her, he enjoyed every second of it. Feeling the heat on his hand, he turned to her with a small wink followed by a smile and then he was back to busying himself about the kitchen. She saw him turn to the frige and take something out before he turned her back to im again. She shrugged at trying to figure out what he was trying to make and so lay on her back, staring at the clear blue sky.

After dazing off for a while, she heard knocking. She immediately got up with a smile as she turned the corner to head into the quarters. She her lips as she sat down at the table that was already set with the food. She eyed the plate that he had placed on the table as he sat down in front of her. 

"Seafood" she was quite impressed, however she couldn't help but question how he cooked it so quickly.

"Mm hmm" he hummed with pride. He waited as she first placed a bite into .

"So?" he waited expectantly.

She narrowed her eyes at him. "This tastes too good to be true"

"W-what? No, I'm a good cook!" 

She tapped her finger on her arm before she got up causing him to stare after her anxiously. "Just sit and eat Yoona"

She ignored him as she wandered over to the garbage can. As she opened it, she knew her prediction was right. There, she saw styrofoam take-out boxes with the name of the seafood restaurant she had seen earlier. She spun around, placing her hands onto her hips. She saw him sit there speechless, but at the same time smiling in defeat.

"Okay okay, I'm sorry. I wanted to impress you but at the same time make it quick and ensure that it's good"

"It wouldn't have mattered if you did or did not, you still shouldn't have lied about it" she walked over to him.

"Well then... I didn't make this"

She rolled her eyes, biting back a curve of her lips. "It's too late"

"Forgive me?" he tugged on her arm like a whiny child. 

"I'll think about it" she shook his hand off as she moved to her seat, digging in without care.

"Yepp, I'm forgiven" he mumbled to himself in amusement.

--------------

Contrary to his earlier thoughts, after she had finished eating, she had left him without a word. He had watched her through the window as she stood against the railings, lounging there staring at the scenery.

She flinched when she felt his arms wrap around her waist, holding her against him.

"I'm sorry"

She struggled in his arms.....to not burst out laughing. Truthfully she was not mad at him, she just wanted to teach him a lesson. He propped his chin on her shoulder. 

"I just wanted this to be perfect"

"Well you ruined it" she managed to sound serious.

"I know... I'm sorry for that. Yoona..."

She made no sound. "Yoona look at me" he took initiative to turn her around to him. 

"Wait...what?"

She was pursing her lips together but to no avail, ended up with a huge grin. Soon, it evolved into giggles, and then laughs as he looked at her in confusion. 

"You tricked me?"

"You are just too easy"

His lips pressed into a firm line. "Let's see how much you've improved after my swimming lesson"

Her eyes widened as he lifted her up and took a step closer to the edge where she felt the rails against her thigh. "Seunghyun don't!" Her yelps radiated through the sky. This only caused him to lean over it a bit more.

"Ahhhh!!" she had clung onto him for dear life. "I'm sorry!!"

He laughed whole heartedly as he straightened his back so that the top part of their bodies weren't exposed to the open sea, finding balance as she sat on the bar.

"You were going to make both of us fall" he had reprimanded her. 

"That would be your fault!" she had tried pushing him away from her but he didn't budge, causing her to push herself backways. She was lucky that he had fast reflexes as she reached out, taking the hand that he offered.

"Woah there" he had pulled her back to him. He smiled at her clumsiness as he didn't hesitate to bring his head closer to hers.

"I don't know how I could ever get tired of this" he shook his head against hers as he tucked her hair beind her ears.

Despite her skepticism, her lips parted at the finality in his voice, not for long though as he closed the gap, her lips lightly pecking his.

"Never" he said in between before their lips touched again. "Ever"

She smiled against his lips before her legs interlocked around his waist. He backed up away from the rail, taking her with him before he pried her legs off of him, holding her in a bridal position as she slipped off of him. He then walked her over to the edge again, seating her there carefully so that her legs were dangling off.

He could imagine her protests as he quickly reassured her. "Don't worry, I got you" he stood behind her.

They stayed there comfortable with the small breeze and the heat of each other's body.

"Let's go home" she had voiced out.

He kissed the top of her head.

"Home" he whispered, his contagious grin transferring onto hers.