[Namjin] Fire Engine Red/The One With the Parking Lot

Coffee Mugs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It started with a text. A question, "Will you run away with me?"

Namjoo texts Taehyeon, who always knows what Namjoo doesn't, and she gets an answer swiftly, follows the instructions. Climbs through the fridge to find the drinks, gets a couple blankets, a jacket because Seojung won't have one, snacks, lots of them, all junk food that can sometimes help more than words can, ice cream too, put that in a ice-pack lined bag, flashlight, phone charger for the car just in case, pillows? Should Namjoo bring pillows? Yes, just in case. Minutes are passing, minutes that Seojung needs her, minutes that Namjoo's parents could catch her in.

She throws all the stuff in the car, drives out before someone can question the sound of the garage.

Seojung's sitting on a bench at a playground, in the mustard lighting, looking so incredibly pathetic that Namjoo feels a little angry. She climbs out of the car and Seojung looks up, stands up. Namjoo suddenly doesn't know what to do with her body. It's too tall, lanky, awkward, but Seojung is moving towards the car so Namjoo doesn't have to go over there.

She climbs in the other side of the car and Namjoo returns to her spot as driver. There's no speaking, Seojung doesn't want to speak, and Namjoo's okay with that, so she just drives. Seojung probably doesn't know where they're going, but she doesn't ask.

Namjoo takes her to a parking lot, the fifth story without a ceiling. It's empty, as parking lots usually are around 1 am, and it's quiet.

Seojung walks out of the car, almost floating she's so elegant. Namjoo is the opposite, almost tripping over her own feet as she struggles to carry everything out from the car. Seojung isn't helping but it's okay, she doesn't need to.

When Seojung does notice that Namjoo's struggling, she doesn't laugh like she sometimes does, she helps out like she always does. Together they lay out a couple of blankets on the ground, pillows on top, food in the middle. Seojung sweeps her hair to the side, over her shoulder and lets Namjoo help the jacket over her arms and shoulders.

Seojung doesn't sit on the blanket like Namjoo intended, she lays down, hair splayed out like a water spout or a confetti popper. Namjoo follows suit, lays down and rests her head on a pillow and tries not to think too much. Seojung moves the food and drinks that create a wall between them and scoots closer, tugs at Namjoo's pillow a bit so they can share, takes one of the still folded blankets and drapes it over them.

"Don't you want the food?" asks Namjoo, heart catching in from the way Seojung leans her head on her shoulder.

"I will. But not now."

So Namjoo waits. She waits and watches the stars, she waits and thinks about Seojung's boyfriend, ex boyfriend, who didn't deserve an angel like her, thinks about how when she gets home she's gonna be grounded for a year, not gonna be able to go out with Seojung or any other friends, but that it's worth it to be the one she ran to when her heart was broken. She waits until she notices that Seojung's breathing has evened out and her eyes are closed and her breath is coming out in little puffs. And that her hands are clutching parts of Namjoo's shirt and that means Namjoo can't move, but she isn't sure she'd want to anyway.

Namjoo wakes up to the fact that she fell asleep and they're still intertwined on the top of a parking garage. It's still too early for any other cars to be there; somewhere around 3 am. Seojung's eyes open too, and even coming from sleep she looks beautiful. She detaches herself from Namjoo and sits up. Namjoo follows.

Seojung seems to finally register the drinks Namjoo brough

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter