[Vmin] Wild Lilac / The One With Multiple Parts pt. 1

Coffee Mugs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Original idea: Where Jimin hates Tae because Tae talks to herself a little carelessly.

Disclaimer: I've never gone to school in Korea so even though this is supposed to take place there I'm just going to use the system of school I'm familiar with since if I try to research it I'll probably still get it wrong. And also I know nothing about Korea so everything will likely be very inaccurate I just didn't want them to be out of place in the States with Korean names and stuff and yeah. And it was supposed to be an all girls school but then I forgot and maybe I should stop now so you can read.

 

If you dive into the minds of all the fifteen to eighteen year old girls in Namulyeon High, you'll see, as expected, that each and every one is different.

But if you pay even closer attention, you'll notice some patterns in a few of them.

These patterns might be obvious, surface similarities that someone could discover within a five minute conversation. A crush on the main vocalist of the group that won the Daesang award last year. A collection of the same popular face mask in their medicine cabinet. A mild to severe hatred for siblings.

Some are equally as obvious, but never admitted to. Jealousy towards that one girl who's perfect; intelligent, athletic, charming, attractive. Insecurities about their body. Their habit of social media stalking whomever their heart beats fastest for at the moment.

And other things, traits and thoughts they think would make them a terrible person in everyone's book. Those are hidden the deepest, locked away in a box to never see the light of day. "Disgusting" habits. The inability to go a day without lying. The thoughts that could never, ever make it to their lips. Disliking or looking down on someone just because they're "ugly" or "fat" or a certain race or short or anything else that they can't control. Dependence on social media statistics.

But the patterns only run through most, not all.

That's where Taehyeon fit in. She didn't have any face masks.

And far on the other end, Jimin. Maybe it was how relatable she was that got her into the most-popular clique at school.

Or maybe it was her smile that was sure to melt anyone's heart so fast you wouldn't even realize it was fake. Or it could've been her everything, her perfect grades, her slender body, her extreme likeability.

Or maybe that despite it all, she was still capable of hating the same person you did. Or she agreed that the person you liked was cute (but not too cute as to where you were threatened) and would support your asking out of them in a heartbeat. Or that whenever you were having self doubt, she would raise your spirit so high that you wouldn't notice she was holding you up from far, far below.

 

It was the first day of their third year of high school. Taehyeon was not new, having attended for all her high school years thus far, so she knew exactly where to go for all her classes. She quickly located her locker and successfully opened it, dumping her unneeded materials inside and then slamming it shut.

"Okay," she mumbled to herself. "What to do now."

Class started in ten minutes and there was no way Taehyeon was going to get there early on purpose. So she settled for aimlessly wandering around campus. Usually on walks, Taehyeon's mind would drift off to another dimension, or she would think about answerless questions. This time, she started thinking about last year.

Last Year was an interesting year for Taehyeon. She had gotten a B in a class for the first time in her life (math). Her best friend had spent her final year before moving away getting Taehyeon to do reckless but exhilarating things (like jumping off a cliff into the ocean when she was supposed to be in school). She'd had her first boyfriend (and her last because it took cheating on him with a girl for her to realize that she had never been nor ever would be interested in boys).

Taehyeon's train of thought paused at the last stop. Oh, Bogum. That poor soul. He'd been crushing on Taehyeon for a long time before gathering the courage to ask her out. And when he did, Taehyeon had thought 'This'll be an adventure!', instead of whether or not she actually wanted to date this guy. And all throughout their five month relationship, it was always him texting her first, him taking her out, him getting her gifts and brushing it off when she apologized for not getting anything in return. When he caught her pressed against the side of one of the school buildings, making out with some (really hot) girl, one hand down the other chick's pants, it was the look, that look, that made Taehyeon realize what she'd done. That he had really loved her, and that she had actually broken his heart.

Taehyeon sighed to herself.

"You're such a ," she murmured. Shaking her head to clear the thoughts away, Taehyeon flipped her lavender hair out from under her backpack and started walking to class.

 

Jimin always arrived early to school. Just something about being late caused her stress levels to rise so she just avoided it altogether. Jimin was very good about avoiding things she didn't like.

Naturally, upon arriving to school, she found some friends to hang out with. Jimin would always have friends around as long as there were people around. If she didn't know anyone, she would go get to know them. Or, more like everyone would gravitate towards her and try to get to know her.

She was walking with a girl that had been in her literature class last year. Jimin had forgotten her name but so far she'd gotten away with it. They were walking down the hall, casually discussing their old shared teacher.

"Oh, I know, right? He was so mean. Like, no one can do that much homework in a single night. What did he expect us to do?"

"Yeah," Jimin agreed. In reality, he'd been her favorite teacher and literature was her favorite subject.

"Okay but honestly, I kinda wish he hadn't been so nice to Hyoseo. I had history with him, too, and she was there. Like, she's dumb and he needs to focus on those of us who actually know what we're doing."

Jimin pursed her lips. "Yeah... Hyoseo's pretty stupid."

Jimin closed her eyes for a second, willing the guilt that filled her to leave. It didn't.

"You're such a ."

Jimin's eyes snapped open, and she stopped walking. The other girl continued for a few steps before turning, noticing, and stopping too. Jimin turned. Walking away was a thin, lavender haired girl that Jimin couldn't put a name to (probably because she was facing away). The retreating girl flipped her hair out towards Jimin, cementing her words and confirming that they were for Jimin.

The girl couldn't have possibly heard their conversation, right? She wasn't that close, and they weren't speaking very loud... probably. What if she told Hyoseo? What if she told more people than Hyoseo? What if people started thinking of Jimin as a fake friend?

Jimin's paranoia morphed into anger.

That girl, whoever she was, didn't hear the whole conversation. She had no right to... to judge Jimin like that. Jimin was a good person. She just needed to fib sometimes to protect people's feelings. Everyone did that. Everyone said bad things about their best friend sometimes. If they didn't hear it, it wasn't a big deal!

"What's wrong, Jimin?"

Jimin turned back around.

"Hm? Oh... nothing, I'm sorry. Keep talking."

The other girl nodded and waited a second for Jimin to take the three steps between them before resuming exactly where she left off. Jimin zoned out, only adding in a few, "Yeah"s or "Oh"s whenever there was a pause to keep the other talking. But she was actually thinking about Lavender Hair. And the more she thought, the worse her hatred became.

 

Hyoseo groaned, throwing her body into Taehyeon's lap. "This. Is. Hopeless."

Taehyeon looked down. "What is?"

Hyoseo met Taehyeon's eyes. "Trig."

Taehyeon gave Hyoseo a sympathetic look. "I know."

Hyoseo pushed herself up and turned so she was in Taehyeon's face. "I cannot believe they're giving us work today. It's the first day for 's sake! And I have it first, too... If only I was as good at math as you."

Taehyeon blushed. "I'm not good at math."

"Yes you are. You're a grade ahead of me in it."

"That doesn't mean I'm good at it..."

"Did you have an A last year?"

"No."

"You had an A+???"

"Well that doesn't mean-"

Hyoseo slapped Taehyeon's arm. She did it again, just for good measure. "Yes it does." Hyoseo aggressively turned back to her work.

Taehyeon waited a second, unsure of what she was supposed to do, and then started back on the essay she was writing. She was four words in before Hyoseo started talking again.

"If only I had someone who was in Calc to tutor me."

Taehyeon hummed in agreement.

"Then all my problems would be solved."

Taehyeon hummed again.

"I saw a unicorn the other day."

"You did??" Taehyeon slammed her laptop shut and snapped her head to Hyoseo in excitement.

"So you really are just oblivious," the older murmured.

 

Jimin forced a laugh at whatever attempt at a joke the tall boy walking next to her had said, and it seemed to sufficiently inflate his ego. She saw in the distance that Hyoseo was at her locker and tried not to increase her pace to avoid any signs of something being wrong. Jimin hadn't had any classes with the older yet so she h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter