SEVEN

She, The Spotlight.

The tickling sound of the clock hanging on the wall was just another noise that wasn’t helping with Irene’s anxiety, after sending the text to Wendy she would on purpose ignoring  her phone, she would let the device sink in the bottom of her purse or leaving it behind in her bedroom. So instead she tried to ease her mind by doing some yoga exercise. She hated the moment she press play and the lady on the screen command of doing the poses. “Why on hell someone would do this?”  She said out of anger. She opted to do something else. She could see the day wasn’t that bad, winter was almost falling.

A walk wouldn’t hurt.

After taking her favorite hat, a simple and plain dark blue, her favorite black and white flannel shirt and her satchel purse which she carefully place her phone without looking it, taking her IPad and her headphone she was ready to go.

The city was crowd as always and that help her to go out without any problem of being recognized. She missed the freedom from time to time, the freedom of talk freely about everything, of just walking around with normal clothes, no hiding or being paranoid about every single glance on her, but more than anything she missed for some reason the warm of someone heart.

At least she got Jaehyun. That cracked a smile on her.

She settle herself down on a bank near the fountain of the public park, she took out of her bag a jelly sandwich, which she knew was dangerous cause now everything related to this particular snack would remind her of Wendy.

She rolled her eyes, conscious that she was indeed thinking of her.

“Gosh, what have you done to me?” A slight whisper while she saw the sky above her escaped from .

Eventually curiosity killed the cat, she put aside the half eaten sandwich and with a silly nervousness she dig in her bag searching for her phone, once she reached it, she held it. It was stupid how scary she was just to look on it. She felt like a teenager. “Get it together, for God sake Irene!” that did nothing but she ignored that part and so she unblocked the screen, smiling widely when a red notification above the message icon showed.

“She replied.” It was beyond glad, ridiculous glad what she felt, but she was and couldn’t give a second thought on that.

“Now… what should I said?” Wondered around she tried to come up with something relevant that could lead these few text into a whole conversation, cause yeah she didn’t want just to interchange text that would somehow end abruptly. But her mind went blank, what else should she said, she didn’t know her and she didn’t want to ask for the same question everyone love to ask.

So she did the one thing that could clear her mind, pressing buttons before putting the device near her ear and wait for the other line to get it.

“Oh God you are calling me! Breaking news: Bae Irene knows the function of a phone.”  But of course that didn’t help her this time. With an annoyed sigh through the phone, Irene regretted the moment she decided to call him.

“Jaehyun, I don’t need you dumb sarcasm right now.”

“Aye, aye, sorry. So what’s up with you now?” The actress open ready to speak but something stopped. She didn’t want to talk about this with him or with anyone.

“Nothing, I’m off.”

“What the-“She hung up to her friend before he could even reply. Another sigh came along. She let her hands covering her face as she was desperate for… for what exactly? She bite her lips not knowing what to do the bubbling feeling at the edge of her stomach, swallowing hard and breathing deeply she took her phone writing back.

Hello! -

 

Sorry for texting you so sudden and sorry for taking time to replied… and I’m sorry for saying sorry…What are you doing?

 

Her fingertip stopped before pressing the send button. This was ok? Right? But before she could overthink more she send it. Her whole body relaxed, she let herself melting into the bank, a light laugh and feel of relief succumbed on her body but that didn’t last long when she felt her phone buzzed. She cautiously read it.

 

So… for what are you saying sorry for? Hi! I’m just at home trying new recipe for my restaurant but honestly I’m just eating whatever I’m making… what about you?

 

“What are you making? Another type of sandwich? I’ve been busy, you know, the usual… meetings and all stuff.”

 

“Sound fun eh!? And nooo I’m not making sandwich…. At least not now… ok I was, it’s not my fault they are the best and complete food that could exist.”

 

“Yeah, sure, sandwich are the best… though I prefer an adult meal but who am I to judge.”

 

“Are you saying I’m not mature?! I might have a full collection of actions figures but that doesn’t mean I’m a kid….whatever.”

 

Her lips curved as a teenager giggle let out, her eyes fixed in every word Wendy care to write, she could imagine the chef all covered in flour and tons of ingredients around her. The cozy image of that girl cooking was enough to make her grown a warm feeling in her.

She type right away. She would tell her about how she decide to go out and walk around the park near her apartment and how much she was craving for some pastry. Wendy was a fast-type person, or so was what Irene thought. She was really content about that. The chef would send her some recommendation about places but deep down the actress wishes she would be invited to pass over her home.

“Don’t be a creep” She remind herself, another text came, sadly it was time for Wendy to go ahead so she said her goodbyes.

Now alone again she didn’t feel the emptiness as before, she was alone but not lonely and that scares her a little bit, a complete beautiful and stranger girl was able to change her mood quickly.

But then again, even though she was afraid, she smiled cause about everything in her life she never felt this… happy… content…cheerful… optimistic and now that she tasted the little glance of it, it enough for her to try it out, to be bold and to follow her emotions, even if that mean to go ahead into a broken heart.

The day went on, the chilly breeze wasn’t a bother anymore, she let the wind hit her face as the car move, going to her usual evening meeting but that didn’t let down, she actually enjoy last traces of winter and was beyond excited about the upcoming spring.

“Did you have a nice walk, Miss Bae?” The chauffeur ask while stopping in a red light, he noticed how the miss wouldn’t stop smiling, a tiny little smile that his years lived let him know about what was happening in the life of her.

“I did. Michael, could you do me a favor?” She took her phone out and search for the conversation with Wendy, she was sure that going crazy was an statement but even for her the idea that was shaping inside her mind was beyond her. She send a text.

“Anything Miss.”

“While I’m at the meeting can you go to the grocery shop?” The sound of a new text came and she smiled reading it.

“Sure, what do you want me to get?”

Looking out the window she saw the birds fly in the sky and with that she just respond…

“Everything.”