SIX

She, The Spotlight.

Turning off the lights, making the once full restaurant into a big black hole, the main chef sighed as the shift already end, she just smiled knowing well how her comfy bed was waiting for her, so she put her keys inside her purse, holding it tightly as her other hand was occupied with a bunch of plastic bags, one of the advantage of working in this path was the free food she always end of having. It may sound like a contradiction but once she get home cooking become like a lazy task to do, hence the happiness she always felt when foods came in her hands all wrapped ready to go.

It was already snowing, she missed one more time the first snow of the day, shrugging she keep walking down the street passing by her favorite coffee shop and the library she always think in going but never actually do it.

Wendy was a humble girl, she was always know as a caring person and never a selfish one. She grew up with the mentality of helping others, so she always did and do. Always…

She would be volunteer in anything she could, more often those event that require someone who knows to cook, she was well known as the cooker of the town in her neighborhood, kids would love her every Halloween that passed as she always bake cookies for them, elders would love her for every meal she tends to cook on Saturdays and because she could, she volunteered at school events near her home.

“Lovely night, don’t you thin Miss Son?” A tall man in his thirties, wearing a police uniform greet her at the front door of her building.

“It could be more if you just call me by my name, Miss Son is just too formal.” They chuckled together, he took his keys of his pocket while she took the first step. Once again her elevator was broken.

“Alright Wendy, you win this time. Careful with the steps. I heard tomorrow it would be working again the elevator.” 

“I’d have my fingers crossed then. Have a good shift then officer.” The waved each other, she sighed seeing the stairs and the millions of those she would need to step before going to home.

Though she lived in a well-respected building, there was something to fix and much of her dismay it would always be the elevator. At least she get to exercise a little bit.

“And people wondered how do I get my legs” She half smirked before chuckling at herself. Finally now being in front of her door. Apartment 232. She let down the bags fishing her keys in her purse, somewhere she felt her phone buzzed. Opening finally she saw the lights on, that would only mean something.

“Yeri? Are you home?” She called out while throwing out her keys in the nightstand, she saw herself in the mirror on the hall before going straight to the kitchen dropping the bags on the counter, seconds later she heard steps coming closer.

“Wendy guess who just pass the math test?” a young girl with blonde hair pulling all together in a ponytail, still wearing her high school uniform. Wendy laughed seeing her all happy.

“I’m glad you did well Yeri and for that I will let you have the last piece of cake we served tonight.” Said girl throw away her math test, hurriedly taking a seat.

“So how was work today?” The younger one asked not really paying attention and only caring about eating.

“It went well, though there weren’t much people, the snow is really I big problem.” Wendy notice how she was being ignored by the young student.

“Does your mother know you are here?”

“Of course! In other way my phone would be at nonstop of her callings.” At the mention of the phone, she recall she had a message.

“I’m just getting sure. The last time your poor mother spend almost all day looking for you. You shouldn’t be that rebellious to her.” Yeri shrugged continuing eating. Wendy shook her head walking to where her purse was, taking off her phone, she settle down, sitting in front of Yeri.

“It’s her fault! She won’t leave alone! I need my own space you know?”

“She worry about you, so you better go to your house.” Living in the same building for more than five years, was enough for her to get used to her neighbor, she rarely see the mother of the girl. She met Yeri at one of the school events, when they realized they live in the same building they started to talk more and eventually they form a unique friendship. Though they were ages apart they tag along in many other stuff, Wendy was surprised at the maturity of her friend, even when Yeri was only 17 years old.

“I guess you are right. Well I should go then. Thanks for the cake, it was delicious!” Wendy nodded smiling to her and it wasn’t until she heard the door closed, that she dare to look down her phone, she ignored the message. It was for the best. 

 

After taking a much needed bath, she decided to watch the TV, it’s been long time enough since the last time she actually sat down and do something simple like that and just because she wanted, before settle down on the couch she went and grabbed a cup of ice cream at the kitchen.

The TV came into live, the news were on, she shook her head, clicking the control the channel change, there was a series showing, she once again press the button on the control, this time an entertainment program was on and if it were another occasion, she would change the channel but not this time, Irene was there, giving an interview. It was surreal to see Irene, the superstar and to keep in mind that it was the same Irene that she met some nights ago and who, in what little Wendy came to know her, was totally different.

Leaving aside, the cup of ice cream, she take her cell phone, watching each contact until it came to hers.

“Bae Irene.” She read out loud, still feeling bizarre when that name escaped from her lips. She smiled, in a content way.

“What a strange girl.”

And indeed she was but it a fresh kind of way, Wendy was wrong when she thought Irene would be like a straight up who would only think about herself but that night, in that valley, she met her and saw how her eyes shine bright and radiated pureness, how her little giggles or even laugh were so genuine, or at least she thought. Irene was different.

The camera once again focus on the actress, Wendy this time pay attention of what she was saying, her voice, the same one she heard on her kitchen, those eyes that were shielding her true self. A good actress even in real life.

“Must feel lonely” She could understand why she came to talk to her in the first place, she could only imagine what kind of conversation she have every day with the same people. “Let’s be friend.” Irene herself has said those words to her. Does she really mean it? She want to be friend with someone like Wendy? Why her? Around everyone who was at the party in that night, she could easily turn down the invitation to sit down with her and share the sandwich.

Her eyes traveling to the name still showing on her phone.

“Does she really mean it?”

 

The next morning started as usual, her preparing some basic breakfast, a fresh cup of coffee and of course, Yeri reading out loud what the horoscope say about her day.

Whisking the eggs in a bowl until they combine perfectly, she wait to the frying pan to get the right heat to put the butter. She smiled just for smelling the butter being melting, soon enough she added the eggs in one go and swirling and shaking the pan so they would cover all the surface.

“It said here I would met my love of my life today, wouldn’t that be perfect?” She heard Yeri said.

“If that’s true, I will have to pray for that poor soul.” Starting to pull the edges of the omelet as soon they started to set, waiting for it to be full cook, she fold it in half in one move as she put it on the plate.

“Ha ha, very funny.” Wendy nodded to her as she took a seat, and prepare to eat when once again her phone buzzed, she rolled her eyes imagine who could it be.

“Oh, yours is really interesting, wanna know?” Yeri was wearing her usual smirk and wiggling her eyebrows in a teasing way.

“I don’t know why you like to read those? It’s not like is it true.” She said taking a bite, feeling proud even when it just eggs, they were perfect. She went to grab her phone and returning right away.

“They are fun to read and beside they are times when it does come true some things, anyway this is what it said.” She cleared at the same moment when Wendy press the unlocking button.

“You might not see it but you are a step closer to your one, just keep in mind that not always should wait for the perfect…” And so Wendy almost choked on her food when she saw who the one behind the unexpected text was.

“!”

 

From Bae Irene:

Hi.-