FIVE

She, The Spotlight.

An empty glass of champagne all alone with a white and big mug were placed in the kitchen, employees nowhere to been seen, the party was still going, the birthday girl was out there dancing as the night deepest, two bodies however, even when the music were the more catchy one, remain stiff and as time passed, like magnet, they knew the distant were getting shorter.

Maybe getting inside was a bad idea. Irene never thought in a million of years that she would be there, where she was, thinking hard and trying hard to not steal a kiss. She thought and almost laugh about it, that she was one of those teens that always seems funny to see in TV, trying to suppress their hormones.

But now there wasn’t any dash of fun.  

No, it was torture.

“You think she is gone now?” Wendy said and Irene was about to lie just to keep her this close, she knew this was going to be all for her little fantasy, just this close to keep a woman to her.

“It seems so.” With a heavy heart she said knowing there won’t be another opportunity to steal a kiss and just run.

Slowly Wendy peek outside the room, taking a quick glance to the kitchen and just when she was certain there were no one, she went out followed by Irene.

“Everyone is enjoying the party.” The little chef said already taking her half eaten sandwich. Irene smiled, trying to suppress her sadness. Taking a bottle of champagne that was in her way, she returned to her seat next to the chef, filling her glass once more.

“Everything ok?” Wendy being a care-type person noticed the down behavior on the actress, to which Irene just nodded filing her glass.

“Just thinking that I should probably go and speak with the birthday girl before she started bad talking about me.” She said once she empty her glass.

“Oh, I see.” If Wendy was a dog you could totally see how her ears turn down as her tail stop too. “I guess you are right.”

“You know Wendy, we can be good friends.” Irene said while she felt was her heart being stabbed by a thousand of knife. The word friends taste bittersweet but she also knew she wanted to keep seeing her, even though this was the second time she met her.

“I would like to be your friend.”

The actress dropped the bottle of champagne aside, standing up and fixing her clothes, she smiled at her before nodding satisfied.

“Then let’s be friend.” She tried to show her best smile, Wendy deserved it to see.

They said their goodbyes, no forgetting to exchange numbers, at least now they could text. Irene was beyond happy about that.

“Let’s meet up before I started recording the new movie.” Irene has said it and Wendy just nodded still not believing she get to have the number of the actress.

But still she got worry she saw the empty bottle of champagne, the actress seems to have a like to drink and that only mean something in the show business.

“She must be lonely.”

 

 

The next day was awful, as the ending from last night, her pounding head was kicking her and she only wished to be all alone for the rest of the day, she would totally crash the bed all day without even care about comb her hair or have a proper meal but of course God wasn’t in her side that day as the knock on the door resound through the entire apartment following by the sound of keys and finally the happy bounds of her still unknown guest.

“Shine, shine sunshine!” Jaehyun. She only sigh hearing him singing. Irene thought it would be a great time to wake up fully and take a shower. A long and sweet shower.

“Irene, dear I thought you would be at the psychiatrist at this point.”

Still in bed Irene just closed her eyes while she regain forces to get up, beside her, Jaehyun lay down with a concern face showing up, he was worry about her friend, he was always worry about her but he never let her know that.

Irene opened her eyes just to find a smiling Jaehyun

“Very funny. What are you doing here?”

“What you mean? I always have breakfast with you, that Wendy girl really mess up with you.”

And he regret it the moment that name slip from his lips as he saw how the crocked smile that always love to see in her friend subside. Her eyes dropped for a millisecond.

“Whatever, I’m going to take a shower please try to not destroy my place, please.” She said walking straight the bathroom, she was not in the mood of pretend be happy.

“That was just once!”

 

The sound of the water running and the steam misting the mirror, blurring her self-reflection, throwing her hands into the mirror trying to make a clear version of her but feeling disappointed cause all she could see was the sadness in her eyes, not only for what happened with Wendy…  Ah, Wendy. She supposed to be happy, at least she got to be her friend and she could be close to her and maybe… maybe convinced her to be with her… no, she shouldn’t start with that kind of idea.

“Let’s be friends” She repeat those words. Now it sounded all so ridiculous, so stupid.  Why would she be her friend? In was beyond her. Great, now she was mad at herself.

“I’m hungry! Don’t take too long!” Jaehyun yelled through the door, Irene snapped for the moment, she remembered the water running. She doesn’t need to think that, it was way too early.

 

“You know, we should go to this hang up Sunny is doing, at least we could go and see the people we actually love.” She saw how his mouth moved along with the chewing movement and how he was talking but still she wasn’t able to hear whatever he was saying. She looked down to her plate, her full plate. She loves to eat but now it seems that nothing would satisfied. A pop song was playing in her stereo but still she couldn’t hum along.

“Irene? Are you listening?” There was again Jaehyun concern voice. Now staring at him, she could see the worry in his eyes.

“Sorry, what were you saying?”

“Irene, you know, you can tell me everything.” And she was glad to have a friend like him in this path, a truly friend who wouldn’t care to share a humble breakfast instead of going to one of the richest and expensive restaurant that everyone think Irene loves to go.

“It’s stupid and dumb.”

“You know, it can’t be stupid or dumb at the same time, it’s either one or the other.” He joke about it, trying to make her laugh which succeed when a tiny little smile crooked on her lips.

“You fool.” She said throwing a napkin on his way, only for it to land almost in front of her. She chuckled a bit before taking a deep breath, Jaehyun wait for her friend to find the courage to talk.

“Wendy, the chef that was on the birthday party we went and that I met her on that party I went after Starry Night’s Show. She was different from other people I have met so far, she didn’t get so stars truck and she actually talk to me, like how you and I do.” Irene took a moment before continuing talking “It’s silly, I mean I know the girl for a few seconds and I… well, she is different.” She took her phone and scrolling the names on it, she found out the chef’s name.

“Yes, you say that again, and what are you waiting then? Irene stopped every movement, giving him a questionable look.

“What?”

“I mean, it is obvious that you want to continue seeing her. Go and ask her out!”

“Did you lost your mind? I can’t do that.”

“And why not?”

Irene could easily take a hold of her phone and throw it to him, why was he asking that when he knows very well why…

“Listen Irene, I love you and you are amazing person, not to mention a hot one and you are allow to date whoever you want and, seriously you have never show up this kind of attraction to someone, so yeah, why not, ask her out!”

“Yeah, I ask her out and then what? If there was a chance for us to date, it would be matter of second before everyone started to question us and… then the public would be a constant factor and I don’t want that not to mention that being a freaking lesbian would blow their mind! And and…”

“Irene! Calm down!”

A heavy and slow silent comfort them for a few moments, Irene knew she needed to apologize but the fact is that she was right…. right? She couldn’t do that to Wendy.

“Gosh this is ridiculous! I don’t know her that much, why can’t I just move on?!” Jaehyun didn’t answer, he just wear a small smile and held her hand.

“Just ask her out, you don’t even know she lean that way, you are here making all kind of scenarios.” She saw him leaving the kitchen counter walking straight to the living room. Irene found herself looking at her cellphone once again, reading the numbers of the chef though at this point she was sure she memorized it already.

“I text won’t hurt.” She tried to convince herself.

“Irene come here! You show is going to start!”

“Coming!” With a content smile she joined her best friend, putting her phone aside and leave the kitchen with a nervous heart, cause she knew she just betray her own thoughts about going against her feelings.

 

To Wendy:

Hi.-

 

 

 

 

 

So it's almost 3am, so pardon me any gramma mistake, have a great day!!