#06

Your voice, like a spell.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Youngjae was in fact, still there. Leaning on the car door with his eyes fixed on the phone and headphones on his ears. He was moving his head to the rythm – a rythm Jaebum couldn't make out even though his plump lips were whispering words now and then, silently. He didn't seem to notice his arrival so he quietly stole one of his earphones and got it closer to his own ear, just to figure out what his friend was listening to. "Finesse" by Bruno Mars featuring Cardi B.
Youngjae jerked at that sudden gesture but when he recognized Jaebum's face, he just smiled and let him do it. Only after the song ended, he dedided to turn off his phone to meet the other's eyes, a dark look on his face. He wanted to act mad, he wanted to say "you left me here alone for too long" but how could he resist? He was a terrible liar, the most terrible actor in the planet.
"Sorrysorrysorry".
"It's cold. Just let me in".
It was all he said with a hidden grimace on his expression. It was pretty cold outside and Jaebum felt so at fault, he let out a deep sigh while opening the car. Youngjae's nose was reddish and runny and he had started rubbing his hands together, he was freezing. Taking the driver sit, he just sat there, his eyes following the other boy's movements. Why didn't he come inside the house anyway? Why didn't he leave after waiting outside for so long?
"Did you come by foot?"
"Yep".
It made no sense at all. Maybe his dad didn't want to lend him the car and he could understand that but Jaebum didn't like it at all, the idea of the other alone on the street, at night. With this cold. With so many idiots around. Well, at least now they were together. And close. So goddamn close, Jaebum couldn't think straight at all. As always, the other's presence made him super conscious.
"How was work?
And.. uh, where do you wanna go?"
He asked, although he was the one on the driver's seat. He had already started the engine but still didn't have any destination on his mind so he let the other guide him. Youngjae started giving him directions: "turn here", "turn left", "go straight" while playing with the radio until he found something he liked. And then he started singing it and again, Jaebum felt butterflies in his stomach and his voice was just so perfect, he didn't want him to stop ever. They kept driving and driving and Jaebum started singing too, while the other just pointed at the directions they had to take with his index finger. They kept driving until they reached the park were they had met "for the first time". Or better, not the park – just the parking lot. Finally the music was lowered and without saying a word, Youngjae opened the door and jumped down. But instead of going towards the gate of the park, he just put pressure on his arms and hopped onto the hood of the car. He had to admit he was quite thrilled about it. He couldn't say "get off of my car" to Youngjae. Not when he met those big brown eyes and those plump rosy lips. Not when he was trying hard to pretend to be mad but Jaebum knew it wouldn't last long. So he imitated his gestures and got up on the hood of the car too. He felt too close to him, he felt their shoulders touch and his own heartbeat beating too fast for his tastes. Still keeping his eyes down, too embarassed to say anything.
"It went well".
"Uh?"
"Work, I mean. It's a music store, nothing much. I'm not complaining, it could have been worse".
Given how much he liked music, it wasn't that bad. Although it's not the same as producing or composing but it was still something. If it was ok with him, then it was ok with Jaebum too.
"Why so suddenly?"
"You know my old man. He doesn't want a good-for-nothing son".
And when the red-haired guy asked him for explanations, Youngjae confessed he had left school. Things were pretty bad alredy, he didn't study much in high school either.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter