#01

Your voice, like a spell.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaebum had no idea what living alone meant.
Actually, he had never thought about it before. I mean, when you are young and you have all of your life ahead, you think everything's gonna be sunshine and rainbows. Your mum cooks you a real hell of a lunch, she washes your clothes and irons them – you find them already folded in your wardrobe and they all smell so nice, they smell like home. She wakes you up when you're late for school and so on. Or at least, that's how he grew up all his life and now that he finally found himself in front of that giant condominium, now that he had to officially enter his new apartment, now he suddenly realized that he hadn't the faintest idea of what to do. He had no idea what living alone meant. He had imagined something like "party all day" and people running around the house at every moment. Girls, junk food, music so loud you can't even hear your own voice, day and night. But when he actually was in front of his new condominium he understood that no, this was not what was going to happen. Living alone was also a great responsibility, not just fun and friends.

The sun hit hard, that day, and it didn't even seem to be December. He had never seen a winter like that one before so he decided that he wanted to avoid sweating too much before even grabbing his luggages. That's why he made a move and finally approached the door, heart beating like crazy, ready to begin this new journey.
"Ahh, Jaebumie. Are you really sure? You know you can always come back home, mum will wait for you".
His mother obviously didn't want to leave him alone, she seemed in verge of tears, she still thought of him as her little kid. Or maybe, she wanted him to still be that little kid because time had passed by too fast and not having him by her side every day would have been hard to get used to. He was her only child after all, and in the blink of an eye he had become an adult, he was 23 and he was a university student ready to start surviving on his own. But no matter how much he could grow over the years, he would always remain the baby of their house.
"Mum, please".
He answered, letting out an amused sigh before blowing her a goodbye kiss, hoping that nobody had seen him (who was he even trying to fool? everyone knew that he was a sweetheart underneath). He waved goodbye before closing the huge main entrance door behind his shoulders, as if he was leaving behind his old life. But then again, it wasn't like everything would have been different from that moment on: the university remained the same, so were his friends and the places he went often to, he didn't even know why he was so anxious about the whole situation. Maybe he was excited because he was finally alone or maybe he was scared of blowing up the whole place while cooking or whatever. He wasn't that great with houseworks, he had always relied on others and now.. now he took a deep deep breath and pressed the elevator's button and he waited. And waited and waited: it was on the seventh floor, right where he would have started to live from then on. Taking the stairs was not an option: although he was really well built, he wasn't an athletic person. The only sport he had ever practiced was football on his younger days but the memories linked to it weren't very pleasant. As a kid, he was kind of a loser and older guys weren't really nice and kind to him. He was the kind of guy who'd rather watch a movie or read a book instead of going out to run and do some sports. The only reasons he left the house were university lessons and nights out with friends. Although now he would have started going out for commissions too.
By the way, he finally reached his own apartment and after looking around for a while, he threw himself on the couch, deciding that he would tidy up another time. A luggage was already on the bed, opened, while the other was still at the entrance. The various bags he had to bring along were placed everywhere on the kitchen's table and he was satisfied with that, without actually doing anything he felt already tired so he switched on the tv to relax a little. That's when he heard a voice coming from outside, probably from the apartment on the other side of the hall. A voice so loud that he had to turn down the volume of the series he was watching until it reached zero to understand what the hell was happening. It was the voice of a grown man, he seemed furious and was yelling at someone, not even

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter