001 Break

We're not broken (just bent)

 

Baekhyun's pov

It's been over five months. I could sense his sincereness in his pair of eyes. I could feel the love he gave to me. Since the third week of my second year college, he confessed to me. We got together till now. 

He's the nerd classmate of mine. Last year, I first saw him on the registry day and I fell for him at the first sight. He is freaking tall too. Yeah, weird for me to fall for a nerd because... I am a nerd too. 

Nerd? Well, for him to be an icon of a nerd is because he always wear that pair of big glasses on his face, unstyled hair everyday, does not have any sense in fashion and smiles wide while claps his hands like an idiot whenever his friends crack a joke. Nonetheless, he is freaking smart. By the way, how and why is he in this prestigious college? It's because he got a scholarship. 

He came from an average family. His father has passed away when he is 13, that is seven years ago. He live with his mother since then who work as a cook at a family restaurant near their house. He loves his mother so much as he does not have anyone than her. How did I know this? He told me these stories when we're dating. Okay... I am blushing right now. Hehe... 

For the first year ever in college, no one ever met his eyes other than his friends and yeah... Me. Every time we brushed our shoulders, I would blush. Not that I am tall too... Okay, my shoulder brushed his arm. For short, he never attract any girls neither boys. He is no girls' dreamy boy and no boys want to be him even though his height and voice could almost beat everyone in the college. Weird fact of all, just a person who would be weird and fall for him instead.

Yeah, me. I am Byun Baekhyun, also a nerd as in, always with books and lonely nerd. Currently, I am in my second year college under the musical course but more to singing. I am in love with the nerd that is in the same class as me but he prefers instruments and cords, Park Chanyeol. 

As corny as it sounds, I never thought that he would lay his eyes on me too because last year, I am the only one who had my eyes on him. I am the one who always stare straight onto the back of his head in our class. Why? Because, while no one ever look at him with love, I willingly let myself fell deeper and deeper into the love that I dreamt of. 

What no one knows is that I am a son of a multimillionaire business couple in Seoul. Even Chanyeol didn't know that. I never told him as he never curious about my life. That is sad. Every time we go out on a date, the one who always initiated a conversation and always asked questions, is me. That is why I know everything about him while he knows nothing about me. 

But I never said that I am sad instead I always smile for him as I understand that his life is no better than anyone else. What I always kept in mind, that he loves me sincerely. I hope that no one could separate us. Hopefully. 

"Baek, I'll fee leafing ad fife. You chan go hobe firsht. Id'll fee lade by jhen. Okayb?" (I'll be leaving at five. You can go home first. It'll be late by then. Okay?) Chanyeol said with his mouth full of bitten sandwich. I chuckled a bit. He is so cute!

"Don't talk with full mouth, Yeol. Lunch break will not end sooner. You should take your time." He then smiled widely while munching and that crinckles on his temples that I love so much had appear. I returned the smile. "Don't worry. I'll text when I reach home." 

He then glanced down at his watch and a look of shock cover his face. He swallowed the sandwich he had munched on in a rush. "Err... Baek, I need to go first. My friend made me promised to meet him at noon on the rooftop. Bye." In a flash, Chanyeol had disappeared. The cafeteria is still noisy as usual. But why I feel lonely and a bit disappointed. 

He never initiates any skinship with me even though he is the one who confessed. The whole school knew that we're dating and for the first two months, they talked about us nonstop but as time goes by, they're tired and leave us alone. As the first gay couple and nerds at that, they are sure pretty used to it. 

While I roamed my eyes in the cafeteria, I looked onto the every corner and saw two persons, Kim Jongin and Kim Jongdae. They're known as KimJong brothers and friends with Oh Sehun. The three was inseparable as the most talanted and handsome guys in college. But somehow, there's no Oh Sehun in sight. Wonder where did he go? Nah... Maybe just went to the gents. 

Then, my eyes fell at the sight on the three of Chanyeol's friends. They're talking happily. I smiled at the sight. The three who are, Kim Minseok, Do Kyungsoo and Luhan, they are always there with Chanyeol before the two of us started to date. They are the peoples who could crack the jokes that brought smile on Chanyeol's lips. 

But wait... The three are the only friends that Chanyeol had. Then... Who was Chanyeol going to meet? He said he was meeting a friend and obviously, all of his friends are here. I could smell something fishy is going on about but I brushed it off. Determined that nothing is wrong, I walked to my next class even though class will not start in 40 minutes. Unsettled felling in my stomach is ignored. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

변백현 ♡ 박찬열

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3rd pov

"Young-..."

"How many time do I have to tell you?" Baekhyun said to his driver. A sigh escaped from the younger's lips. "Just call me Baekhyun. I'm not comfortable to be called like that. Okay, Kris hyung?" The driver just pressed his lips together. Eyes darted to everywhere but his 'Young Master'. "You understand me?" Again, Baekhyun asked.

"B-but... It's not right for me to-..."

"No. No more but. You've been working with me for three years and you should be comfortable with me and I with you so don't make any awkward moments with that young master orders or something like that. We could be friends but you make everything hard." Baekhyun pouted. 

Kris closed his eyes then opened them up again. Looking straight into Baekhyun's eyes. "Okay, Baekhyun." A hesitate sigh to be let out. Baekhyun then beamed happily.

"Well, you have news for me?"

"Your mother and father told me to go straight to the backyard. They have something to discuss with you."

"Hmm? Is it something serious? Why in the backyard though?"

"I am not sure." Baekhyun arched an eyebrow. 

"Well, I'll get inside. Have a nice day, Kris hyung." 

"Yeah." With that, Baekhyun enters his family mansion which is bigger than the school building. 

"Mommy~ Daddy~ I'm home!" Baekhyun hollered from the front door through the living room to the backyard of the mansion. 

"Honey, we're here." Mrs. Byun says softly. "Come, sit. We needed to talk." 

"Mom, why you sound so serious? What is it about? Dad?" Baekhyun arched his eyebrows to both of his parents. He sits on one of the chairs provided beside of his father. "Hmm?"

Mrs. and Mr. Byun both sigh out before turning their heads to their one and only son. "When we say this, don't freaked out, okay?" Mr. Byun then fishes out his phone and fidles with the screen first. "I want you to look at this person." 

As Mr. Byun handed the phone, Baekhyun frowned. Something is going on... 

As Baekhyun looked down, the person in the phone is somewhat familiar. With that pair of ears, but styled hair, fashionable and no rounded glasses on his nose, it's somehow give a vibe of electricity to his heart. After a while, he confirmed that the person is his current boyfriend. Well, what happened next is understandable. The color of blood drained from his face. He felt an invisible stab on his stomach. He didn't tell anything to his parents about him had a boyfriend. 

"Before anything happens, I will tell you. That person in the phone is a guy that goes to the college you're in. I remembered that he's under the same course as you. I don't know that if you know him or not. His name is Park Chanyeol." Mrs. Byun started off. Baekhyun blinks his eyes. 

"Erm... I am sorry... I don't quite catch on why are you telling me this?" Mr. and Mrs. Byun look to each other before turn their head again to Baekhyun.

"We want you to marry him." Baekhyun laughs as soon as the word marry left his mother's mouth.

"You two were kidding, right?" He asked in between of his laughter. As he got no respond but replied with the serious faces of theirs, Baekhyun blushed crazily. "Are you serious?" He whispered. He turns his head to Mr. Byun who nods his head firmly. "Owh... Er... Hehe... Well, what do you think on my answer?" 

"We hope that you could accept him." Baekhyun blushed more. 

"Err, well... Maybe I can accept that and... There is something that I wanted to tell you. Hmm..." Baekhyun contemplates. "He... He is my boyfriend by the way." He tries hard to cover his face. Doesn't want to show his reddening cheeks. 

"Wow! Good. It's making the process easier. Oh! And we'll have family meetings next week. Okay?" The both of parents smile intently. "He is our friends son. Even though she's no longer had a husband, she's a succesful chef and owned a few four to five stars restaurants in the Asia. We wanted you to marry him as I had made a promise to be in-laws while we're in our college years." Mrs. Byun says dreamily.

Baekhyun frowned. What? Successful chef? Owner of the restaurants? In Asia? He never heard one of them as long as he dated the taller. Sure, he knows everything about him but never once he know the reasons of him being a liar. 

The shorter take a look again to his father's phone. The boyfriend of his looks good in that denim jacket with black tee. Smile on his face shows how happy and content he is with his rich life. He frowned more and that makes his parents look at him with worry. "What's wrong honey? Seems like you're not sure about your decision?"

"Hm... It's nothing." He smiles fakely but glad his parents didn't saw that. "I'll take a bath first okay?" He stands up and walked into their mansion after handing the phone back to his father.

"Dinner will be done in a few hours!" His mother hollered. Baekhyun just started to go upstairs with mind full of Park Chanyeol.

Why? Why did Chanyeol lied? Other than about his father had passed away, why did he lied about everything? 

As he slumped on his bed, he takes out his phone and taps on the google application. If... If Chanyeol really that rich, he must be on several online news. While him, Byun Baekhyun is shy in front of camera. That is why he never been in any news his parents were in. 

Baekhyun just hope that he never found out about this but... It's a nightmare. There he is, with wide smile on his face and in an expensive suit attire in front of a five star restaurant in Byun's mansion area as the top images he had found. 

Baekhyun scrolls down of the images of 'Park Chanyeol' and looks at the pictures. He stops at a certain images and Chanyeol is smiling in between three other peoples that he knows. Kim Jongdae, Kim Jongin and Oh Sehun.

But why?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

변백현 ♡ 박찬열

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Thanks, Kris hyung." Baekhyun drops off a block away from college. 

"Be careful on your way, Baekhyun."

"Yeah." Baekhyun says solemnly. He's not the cheerful Baekhyun. He had thought about Chanyeol all night long and he never got a text from Chanyeol about why he didn't text after arrived home. Maybe... Maybe there's a reason for him to do that. Baekhyun tried to cheer himself up as he walked to the school. 

As soon as he steps into the college area, there's murmur going on around him. He tried to shake it off as he didn't want to atrract attentions but instead, the students prefer to let their attention willingly on him and he didn't even know why. What's wrong with a nerd Baekhyun who happen to attend college on Friday? It's everyday life isn't it?

Baekhyun ignored all of the attention and murmuring while making his way to his first class which happen to be music room after taking his books in his locker. He sat down on his chair while waiting for the class to start. However, when he looks at a certain place, he doesn't see Chanyeol at all. Before, Chanyeol always the first one to be in class while later, Baekhyun joined in. But today sure is weird day of all. 

The class soon full by the students filling in. What makes Baekhyun uncomfortable is because as soon as they entered the class, their eyes fell on Baekhyun the nerd and a few more murmuring continues. 

A few moments later, there are shouting and whispering among students outside of the class in the hallway.

"He's so handsome!" 

"Rich too!"

"Why would he hide it from us before?!" 

"Oh my... His face could be on magazine cover!" 

Baekhyun is restless. He didn't know what to do. He just sat there as his whole class are giddily waiting in their sits as if they knew that the subject rumored outside is going to enter this class. 

He never knew. He never knew that the moment that subject enters the class, he would be frozen in his sits. The familiarity on the subject with the picture yesterday are true. They are the same person. Except, the smile on the picture didn't reflect with the smirk on the subject's face. His eyes never leave the person's body until the said person sits in his place. In a blink, all of students surrounded him making Baekhyun unable to take a glance of him anymore.

"Hey, Park Chanyeol! You're so cool with that black Lamborghini."

"Why would you hide behind that big glasses of yours before?"

"Yeah... It's just, eeeww."

"Not cool you know."

"Hey... Are you single?" 

At that question, everyone turned dead silent. Even Baekhyun feel a chill and staring aura. He looks up and saw that the students give a line of view to Chanyeol as Chanyeol also looks at him. They're staring each other for awhile. Baekhyun who fidgeting in his seat didn't know what to do before he let an unsure smile on his lips.

"You're not dating him for real, right?" A voice asked making Baekhyun felt more uncomfortable. 

As Chanyeol smile, it makes Baekhyun's heart flutter but as the smile turned into a smirk, his heart drops to his stomach. The smile he had on his face just now disappeared. A snort and tsk escaped Chanyeol's mouth. "Nope. Who wanted to date a nerd like him?" And Chanyeol is the first one to drag his gaze away from Baekhyun's. The crowd then continued their questions for Chanyeol and once again, the line of view for him to Chanyeol closed up. 

No one knows how heartbroken the smaller boy is. 

 

 

 

변백현 ♡ 박찬열

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun dragged his feet in the silent hallway. The incident that morning is still playing in his mind like a broken record.

"Erm..." Someone voiced out beside him. "Are you okay?" That someone continue. Baekhyun looks up and greets with an uncertain smile from someone familiar. As much as Baekhyun wants to reply the smile, he can't. It's like there is some barrier that prevent him from doing the same. There are another two person besides that someone and following Baekhyun's steps. 

"Yeah..." He replies. Baekhyun then pressed his lips together. Eyes show anything but happy. He turns to the road again.

"It seems like you're not okay." The person says again but in a concerning tone.

"What do you expect, Min? He's in a bad mood." The voice's owner is somehow annoyed.

"But Lu... I don't know what to do..." Again, that someone hesitates.

"Minseok, Luhan, just go straight to the point. Baekhyun, we wanted you to follow us somewhere." Baekhyun turns to Kyungsoo. It's seems like serious matter...

But no matter what, Baekhyun nods and Kyungsoo leads the way.

They are now at the field and sits at the bleachers. Baekhyun fidgets in his sit. Minseok bits his lower lip on the right side while his left side, Kyungsoo with his poker face and Luhan on Minseok's right with crossed hands on his chest. 

"I want you to know something on what's going on today." Kyungsoo starts.

As it is time for lunch, there's not much people on the field. They're going to full their stomach at the cafeteria while these three have something to talk to Baekhyun. Luhan fished out his phone and hands it to Minseok who then gives it to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo presses a few button and then there is a sound like recording rolling from the speaker.

"... are doing a great job. A year and a half is not an easy task." A voice starts.

"I know right. Being a nerd is really a ridiculous thought but glad everyone fell for it." Another familiar voice makes Baekhyun's heart scattered on the pitch of his stomach.

"Well, I didn't think that you could stand while dating that Baek. It must be boring the whole time." 

"Uhh... Yeah." The owner of the voice who is a certain taller sounds a little hesitate. "Well, I've endured the year and a half, where that Lamborghini you and KimJong promised? I've told you to prepare it early even before we started off our college years right?" The voice chuckles. 

"Of course man. Your new baby is in my garage. It is the time to change your life back, Chan. It's been a while since I saw you without your nerdy glasses. Heh..." A scoff and then they giggle. "By the way, how do you fool that nerd friends and fake boyfriend of yours?"

"Hmm... Well, a bit lies wouldn't hurt, right?" 

"Yeah, sure man. You determined since the start and you deserve it. It's best to be truthful now right...."

By the time the recording ended, Baekhyun is a crying mess. Hurt... is all he could feel. Pain... is all he can imagine. 

There's patting on his back. "I am sorry. We've got to go through this. He's an to do this to us." Minseok tries to persuade and calming Baekhyun down. Kyungsoo stares into the space.

"That record has been viral in our college sites. I can't believe that all this time, he's been fake. Fake for all to see how angel he is while the truth that he is devil in disguise." Luhan hisses. Still can't control his emotions. Now Baekhyun understands that Luhan is annoyed about Chanyeol and not him. 

A few moments of Minseok's calm voices through Baekhyun's ears, they make their way to their next class with solemn faces on.

While Baekhyun with red puffy eyes and pinkish button nose.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

변백현 ♡ 박찬열

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Let's get you to your home." Minseok says as he walks beside the sad boy, Baekhyun. 

It's the end of college hour and they have finished their class at the same time. Minseok, Kyungsoo and Luhan had came to Baekhyun's class and offered to send the petite boy home. The said boy just give a side smile to them before they make their way to their lockers in silence.

"Hoho... Look at what I just see. The nerds that had been fooled." Jongin's voice makes the four said nerds stop in their tracks. 

Jongdae scoffed. "Why? Can't accept the truth?"

"No one wants to be with you guys okay? Tch..." Sehun rolled his eyes while smirking.

Without much effort, Baekhyun cries again. His whole body shaking . He turns around with tears rolling down his cheeks. Looking up and locking eyes with Chanyeol unreadable ones. His lips trembling so much that it's hard to stop from looking like a fool.

Luhan turns around with angry face. "You guys are a shame. You fooled us like we have no feelings at all. You all do not mind other's people feeling for your own entertainment. Is it fun?!" His face by now had turned red. Minseok turns around too just to hug Luhan's arms for calming him down. Luhan sighs loudly. Kyungsoo turns just to show his all time popular poker face.

"Okay... Fiesty... I like it." Sehun smirks widely. And creepy at that.

Baekhyun makes a move. He takes the steps towards the four but his eyes never leaves a certain guy. As he is now in front of them, precisely, in front of Park Chanyeol, his trembling lips tried to form words.

"A-are... Are you satisfied now?" Silence. More silence as the time passed by without an answer. "Satisfied as you make a fool of us. It's making your life happening, right?" It's a heart shattering to watch the vulnerable Baekhyun shaking so much with tears never stop rolling to his cheeks. "Look into my eyes, Chanyeol. Have you ever, even once in these past one year and a half, having a happiest day in your life with me or your nerdy friends? Have you think about how happy we make you? Or, did you even thought about how in love you were with me? Tell me the truth, Chanyeol. Be trustable for once, for us." 

Baekhyun is practically begging in slight whisper right now. He wants the answer, he needs the answer. He wants to know that even once, he could make Chanyeol happy, even once, Minseok, Kyungsoo and Luhan could make him the happiest person alive. Baekhyun stares through Chanyeol's pair of eyes deeply, searching for the answer. 

With unreadable, blank eyes, Chanyeol stared into Baekhyun's eyes and the smaller could see a shine of hope in the other's eyes. After a while, a smirk forms on Chanyeol's lips. 

"No. Never." Even though the words pierced hurtfully in Baekhyun's heart, the shorter boy knows, they were laced with lies. A slap resound through the empty hallway. A gasp escaped from Luhan, Minseok and Jongdae. Kyungsoo still with his poker face while Sehun and Jongin show the faces of discomfort.

"Bull." Baekhyun whispers low enough for them to hear before the petite male turns and walks away from them. Chanyeol's left hand touches on his left cheek where a red starts to show as the aftereffect. Kyungsoo scans their faces before following Baekhyun's steps and being tailed by dumbstruck Luhan and Minseok.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

변백현 ♡ 박찬열

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Erm... You're walking to your home?" Minseok asks in hesitation. 

"No. Just a block away and there's a person waiting for me." Baekhyun answers with a light tone. He does not wanting to make the situation to be more gloomy as it is. 

"Huh? Who is?" Luhan asks. Feeling the satisfaction since Baekhyun give the brat a slap of reality. 

"You'll see." Baekhyun smiles lightly. They continue to walk until they meet with a sight of a silvery Limousine. A person from the driver's seat came out and smile widely to Baekhyun which he offers the same gesture. What Baekhyun missed was how his new friends' jaws dropped to the ground. "Kris hyung, I'll sit at the back for today." 

Kris, who is chuckling at the sight behind Baekhyun just nods his head. "Okay."

Baekhyun makes his way to the backseat door and enter. He looks outside and the three still didn't move from their spot. Baekhyun giggles slightly, amused. "Erm, wanna ride?" He arches his right brow. The three blinks for a while as they watch Kris takes his place at the driver's seat.

A moment later, they are now still roaming their eyes to each corner inner side of the limo on their way to the Byun mansion without the three have a clue about their destination. "Baekhyun?" 

The said boy who is smiling at their in awe face, humming. "Hmm?" He turns to Kyungsoo.

"Should we know who you are?" 

"You'll know me soon but remember, I have my own reason and I am not like those who fool us for fun." 

The Limousine takes place in front of the Byun mansion main door that is two hundred meters from the front gate. The backseat door opened from the outside by no other than Kris. Minseok who happen to be next to the door steps out first and gasp loudly at the sight of mansion in front of him. Kyungsoo and Luhan the follow suit before Baekhyun. 

Somehow, the mansion looks familiar?

"Thanks, Kris hyung."

"Yeah, sure. Have fun with your friends. It's rare for you to bring friends here let alone three of them." Baekhyun just smiles sheepishly. 

Kris drives the limo to the garage as Baekhyun lead the trio into the mansion. "Mom! Dad! I am home!" Baekhyun hollers making the trio flinched. Baekhyun chuckles at the reaction. In a bit, a woman in a black dress coming down the stairs to greet her son with a smile but turned surprised as she witness a miracles in front of her. 

"Why hello there, you three." Mrs. Byun smiled sweetly.

"Mom. I am home and you look at them first?" Baekhyun pouts.

"Oh honey... It's rare to have your friend in this mansion and let alone three of them." Mrs. Byun pinches Baekhyun's cheeks lightly.

"Oh my... Stop with this rare talking..."

"Well, who are these gentlemen? By the way, welcome home, honey." 

"This is Minseok, Kyungsoo and Luhan" Baekhyun points respectively. "They are my new friends." The trio who has been in silence the whole time bow down 90 degree.

"Hello Mrs.Byun." They synchronize with stuttering a bit. 

"Aww... How adorable! Just like you, Baek!"

"My God, don't embarrassed me mom. Anyway, where's dad?" 

"Oh. He's upstairs. Go up first, I'll call you down for dinner in two hours okay?" Baekhyun nodded before asking the three to follow him upstairs to his room.

"You're Byun Baekhyun." Kyungsoo says as soon as the entered the said room.

"Yeah. That's my name."

"No! No! You are the Byun Baekhyun!" Minseok pressed on saying 'the'. 

"Just like I've told you, yes, it's my name." 

"Ohmygod, you're the mystery of the Byun's son! Why I didn't think about it earlier?!" Luhan rants and flops down on Baekhyun's bed. 

"Nah, I just wanted to stay in the shadow until I graduated college. My parents allow me to do so. I am shy in front of camera by the way."

"But... Who is going to take over the Byun's International Company if you're major in music?"

"Well, I take business management as the minor course." Baekhyun shrugs as he too flops down next to Luhan after putting down his bag on the study desk. Kyungsoo and Minseok take the seat on the sofa that provided in the room. 

The room could beat the three's average apartment. And the room belongs to Baekhyun alone. 

Silence lingers in the room for a moment before Baekhyun makes himself comfortable while lays his head on Luhan's lap. At first, Luhan, Minseok and Kyungsoo thought that Baekhyun had letting the Chanyeol incident go but they're wrong. All the time, Baekhyun could not stop from thinking about Chanyeol alone. 

Luhan takes a deep breath before sighs out. He pats Baekhyun's head and caressing the hair gently. Baekhyun can not control his tears anymore as the tears finally make their way down to Luhan's lap. Luhan humming a smooth song to soothe Baekhyun's emotions even he himself had tears rolling down his cheeks. Kyungsoo and Minseok adore the sight in silence before they too teared up in each others embrace. Glad that tomorrow is Saturday.

Two hours before dinner. An hour acquired with tearful moments while another solid hour spent on calming down.

It sounds like a great idea.