afraid

Lost
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"Why am I so afraid?" chapter one afraid        

 

Waking up in bed was dreadful. She stared at her ceiling, watching the ceiling fan spin around.

Ever since she came home last night with a new family, she was quiet and very reserved with herself. She didn't speak a simple "hello" to them. Based on how she was, the family assumed she was quite shy. But in her mind, even though she understood everything, she was honestly scared, worried. She has not had a family since she was five.

Three years. Three years without her actual family. She had no idea where they were, whether they were alive. It scared her whether this family would leave her as well.
 

Knock knock.


"Soojung?"

The door creeked open and a woman came in slowly, a soft look on her face. "Soojung?"

The little girl looked up from her bed, her tired eyes indicating the little sleep she got.

"Ah, you are awake now," the woman quietly stated as she shows a small grin. She took a seat on the bed carefully, not wanting to scare the young girl. "Did you sleep okay? Was everything comfortable for you?"

The young girl just stares at the woman, not saying anything nor making a sound.

The woman assumes that the girl was still shy towards her. "It's okay, sweetheart. You do not need to be scared of us. We are here for you."
 

Knock knock.


The two females turned towards the door, and the tall male figure came in. He was the father figure.

"Ah, there are you are, honey. How's our new family member?" The male stood next to the older female figure before glancing at the young one in bed.

"She's still unresponsive. But I think she is still feeling shy around us," the female softly told him. "Maybe we should introduce ourselves to her?"

The male nodded his head and then approached the little girl, kneeling down to be eye-to-eye. "Hi there, sweetie." He smiled sweetly towards her. "My name is Youngsuk. I am your new dad."

The female then spoke right afterwards, " And my name is Yoojin. I'm your new mommy."

"We are here to take care of you, sweetheart. Do you understand that? We want to help you and make you a part of our family."

The little girl looked at the figures in front of her and nodded her head, still not saying a word.


"Mommy! Mommy!"


The three heads turned and saw the two Kim children running into the room, the older one chasing after the younger.

"Mommy!" the younger one exclaimed. "Namjoon hyung hit me!" he complained as he hugged his mother's lap.

"Mom! He took one of my toys from my room!" The older boy was frowning, crossing his arms as he was upset at the younger boy.

The father took the older boy in his arms. "Alright, boys, that is enough. Taehyung, why did you take Namjoon's toy?"

The little boy wiped his eyes and sat in his mother's lap. "I thought it was cool! I wanted to get a chance to play with it!"

"But honey," the mother said. "It's not okay to take a toy though without your brother's permission. Next time, you should ask nicely about playing with something that is not yours. Okay? Do you understand that?"

The little boy nodded his head.

"And Namjoon, we have to be sure we are sharing toys, alright?"

The older boy nodded as well. "Okay, mom. I understand."

"Anyways, Soojung," The father glanced at the little girl in bed. "These are your brothers." He gestured towards the boy in his mother's lap. "This is Taehyung." He then presented the older boy. "And this is Namjoon."

The two boys looked at the young girl and showed a smile to her.

The girl was still silent, not saying a word but just showed a head nod to show that she understood them, that she was alert and aware of what was going on around her. In her head, she wasn't too worried about her new family being good to her or treating her the way she would like it, but the thing she was worried about most was losing her family again.

"How about we have something to eat to start the day, hm?" the mother asked, trying to bring the spirit up. "I will go and get something for breakfast started."

"Good idea, honey. Would you like me to help you?" The father stood up while checking on his wife to be sure.

She shook her head with a nice grin. "Aniya, no need. Why don't you help the boys show Soojung her new home? Show her everything in this house she may need," she suggested to him, making her way out the door and into the kitchen to prepare their meal.

Youngsuk nodded his head, taking his wife's suggestion. "Alright, boys, why don't you go and get some clean clothes on and we can show your new sister her new home?" He ruffled the two young boys' heads.

"Okay, daddy! I think this will be fun!" Taehyung exclaimed as he rushed out of the girl's bedroom and scurried off to his own.

"I'll make sure his clothes are on front ways this time," Namjoon mumbled to his dad before walking out of the room.

The father chuckled at his two boys. "Alright, Soojung, come on, dear. Let's go ahead and get you all dressed up."

The girl looked at him and pursed her lips, unsure of what to do or whether she should move or not. If anything, she wishes she could just stay in bed and curl up.

"Soojung, there is no need to be frightened." He held out his hand kindly towards her, not being too pushy or being too agressive. It was a gentle hand that was willing to help and to offer her. "I want you to hold my hand, dear."

She hesitated at first, unsure if she could. But once her small hand found its way out from under the blanket, it reached to slowly touch his hand. Although it was shaky, all that mattered was that she touched his hand.

The man smiled at her. "Good. Now let's get out of bed." He helped her to get out of the blankets and to stand on her two feet. "There you go, sweetie. I'm thankful that you are beginning to open up. Let's find you something to wear." He opened up her closet, where there were her clothes from the orphanage and even more clothes that were provided by the Kim family. "Ah, let's see now. Do you like what we have in here for you? We have been preparing clothes for your arrival. We've always wanted to adopt a little girl and now, we have you to fulfill that dream of ours."

The girl listened to the man and inside, she felt warm. Hearing him say how much they wanted a little girl made her feel wanted. It made her feel something that she has not felt for years now.

He looked through the closet and pulled out a few things from it, bringing them out for her to see. "Here we go. I think these would be nice."

She looked and saw that he picked out some casual outfits for her, just a few for her to try and see. She even picked up the shirts and shorts to see for her own self.

The father smiled as he watched her attentively. He saw how she was beginning to really open herself. It wasn't much progress, but it was slowly making its way there. It's better than no progress, and it is only going to continue to grow more.

She picked up a shirt and a mini skirt that she liked the best and held it up to the man.

"Is that the outfit you want to wear?" he asked her.

She nodded her head.

The man smiled and nodded his head back. "Okay, Soojung. Do you want me to help you put it on?"

She immediately shook her head.

"Oh, you can do it by yourself then? Alright. Go ahead. I'll come back in a few minutes to check on you." The man patted her head very lightly before he headed out of the bedroom. He went off to the kitchen to check on his wife, who was casually and quickly putting breakfast together. "It's already smelling good, dear."

The wife spun around and chuckles. "Well, of course I am cooking a hearty meal for my family. How's it going with Soojung?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter