New Meet Ups

Daisies and Rues
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 The meticulous hands of head coroner, Dr. Kim Seokjin worked on the non living body on the table. He was surrounded by his regular attendants and forensic students who were there for observation. Anyone would expect such a scene to be serious and sombre one. But all these expectations failed since it was Jin we were talking about.

The students in the room seemed dumbfounded as they expected a grim attitude person but instead here was Jin, gently signing along to the music playing, after finishing his autopsy and doing the final sutures. Every now and then he cracked silly jokes with his assistants at the same time dictating notes to the students. All the while late 70's music boomed in the room.

The casual environment may have seemed odd, but that was the attitude of Dr. Kim Seokjin. His methods were unbothered and too care free, but the results he yielded were always systematic and accurate. Hence no one complained about his otherwise quirky behaviour.

It was in the middle of him pulling off the high notes in the song impressively, that the music got cut off and the ringtone buzzed instead.

Dejected, Jin furrowed his brows and asked, “Who is it?”

One of the assistants peered at the screen and replied, “Its Kim Taehyung.”

“Please put it on loud speaker, would you?” Jin requested as his hands were busy with the sutures.

“Dr.Kim?!” Taehyung voice busted through the phone as soon as the call was received.

“Yes Taehyung?” Jin responded uninterested.

“Uhm… I was wondering if the lap reports I requested for last week are ready. I am on my way to the lab.” He sounded out of breath as if he was walking.

“Yes they are. In fact they were ready last week itself! Didn’t I ask you to come and collect them?” Jin asked a bit irritated that his singing was interrupted for such a minor inquiry.

“Oh yeah…you did…” Taehyung mentally face palmed himself. “Sorry I disturbed you… were you busy?”

“Busy? Of course I was!” Jin replied in indignantly. “I was performing an autopsy here with my utmost focus. I don’t think a simple sorry would be enough inspector.” He winked at the interns, who just listened to the exchange, amused.

“Ah…” Taehyung sighed, “How can I repent then doctor?”

“Simple. Fetch me an iced Americano on your way here!” Jin replied.

“That’s it? I think I can do that!” Taehyung smiled, enjoying the senior’s playfulness.

“You better...and also keep in mind that you are coming for that report!” Jin said.

The call ended up with a beep and Jin requested the assistant to play the song from the start again, hoping no one would interrupt his zealous singing this time.

 

 

 

Taehyung quickly cut the call and walked swiftly through the morning crowd. His mind was running with the thoughts about his schedule for the day, the cases, trips to the forensic lab and courtrooms. The mild stress lingering on his mind increased after seeing his regular coffee shop closed. Usually he would have just ditched his morning coffee routine for work but today he had promised Jin a coffee treat as an apology. So he decided to go to a newly opened café instead.

He reached there in no time and quickly entered the café, the small bell above the door tinkling to announce his entry in the shop. As soon as he entered, he was hit by a delicious and sweet smell of coffee, milky cream and freshly baked goodies. A small smile of sudden excitement settled on his lips and he quickly stood in the line of the customers. The café seemed to be managed by only two people, a young girl and a boy. Taehyung stared around as he waited for his turn. Warm sunlight poured inside which was good break from the usual rainy atmosphere. An array of cupcakes, donuts, biscuits, pies, rolls and other mouth water goodies were neatly displaced in the glass counter while the enchanting aroma of coffee swirled in the air. Taehyung felt his stomach growl at that sight but alas he was on a diet.

Soon his turn came and as he opened his mouth to order the young girl turned around, shutting up his mouth for good. For it was none other than Jeong Minju. Taehyung gawked at her in surprise he never expected to see her today and certainly never at a café. A part of him became alert of her after remembering the incident days ago.

“Sir…May I know your order?” she asked politely, a bit confused at his silence.

Taehyung snapped out of his thoughts and composed himself. “Uhm…I would like an iced Americano please.” He tried not to show his surprise.

“One iced Americano…anything else” she asked as she typed on the computer.

“No, that’s it. Thank you.” Taehyung replied.

Minju nodded and turned around to prepare his drink. Taehyung carefully observed her as she worked. She seemed like a totally different person now. She was no longer the hostile Minju who was screaming at Yoongi. But rather a gentle person politely attending to the customers and guiding the other boy who seemed to work at the café.

Within minutes Minju prepared the coffee, put the cup in paper bag and handed it to Taehyung. Looking at her unfazed expression he realised that either she had not recognised him or had forgotten about him.

He took the bag from her and returned back the money. He mouthed a small ‘Thank you’ to which she chirped, “You are welcome, please visit again!”

Taehyung smiled and watched her attend to the next customer. Going towards the door, he couldn’t help but turn back to look at her. Running into her early morning was definitely unexpected to him. But something about her had interested him now, what, he couldn’t say. Whether it was her sudden change in character, or the focus she had while serving people or her history with Yoongi. There was something that had drawn his attention towards her.

Coming out the door, he opened the bag and peeked at the cup and whistled. “Maybe it is time to try a new coffee place” he murmured to himself and ran to hail a cab.

 

 

 

Yoongi sat at his desk his head buried in his laptop but his stare somewhere else. He was staring straight at Hoseok, who was at a distance busy talking to some officers. Since morning Yoongi was trying to get Hoseok for himself but never got the chance. He frowned at how long Hoseok seemed to ‘chat’ with people, almost half an hour he would say, but anyone wise would know that it was hardly five minutes. Finally Hoseok seemed to finish talking and greeted the officers before taking off.

Yoongi hollered at him, “Inspector Jung!”

Hoseok looked at him and gave his bright signature smile, making his way towards him.

“Good Morning Min!” he greeted.

“Good Morning Hoseok…Uhm… You have a minute to spare?” Yoongi asked.

“Oh yes! Sure!” Hoseok replied and sat down. “How may I help you?”

“Yes…You are on Jeong Minju’s case, aren’t you?” Yoongi asked, his fingers fiddling with the binders on the table as he wanted it to appear as a casual question.

“Yes…” Hoseok smirked slightly to himself as he recognised instantly what Yoongi was doing.

“Good. I am happy it’s in very capable hands like you Hoseok. But I was wondering as to where has the case reached? As in do you need any help…?” he asked.

“That’s very kind of you to say Min, thank you. Yes, the case is going at a steady pace. We managed to get surveillance footage of the night the vandalism took place. But it is still in the development process. The IT department is overloaded with many high priorities cases you see. So it will take some time.” Hoseok replied.

“Oh! Is that so? I can make some calls if you want me too, you know, to fast track the case.” Yoongi offered.

Hoseok smiled. He could sense the concern Yoongi had regarding Minju and found it very promising. “Nah… Those guys are already over working, I don’t want to bother them. Everything is good.” He said.

“Okay. I was…I was just curious.” Yoongi stated, his hands once again finding their way to the things on the table.

Hoseok nodded back. After a few seconds he asked, “Did you visit her…again? After that day?”

Yoongi realised what he was referring to. “Yes I did” he said.

“How did it go?” he asked softly, hoping for some good results.

Yoongi sighed. “I don’t know…she did hear me out but after listening to her, I think she plain hates me.” He replied desolately.

“Hmm…It won’t be a surprise if she dislikes you so much, but I don’t think she absolutely despises you or anything like that.” Hoseok replied.

“Why won’t she? I did a lot of wrong by her. If I was in her place I would have kicked my out of the country by now!” Yoongi scorned at himself.

Hoseok laughed out loud. “Well at least you are admitting what a jerk you were! So that’s half way to forgiveness. Nothing good will come out of staying angry at yourself and remising over the past Min. I can sense you are trying to make some amends, keep walking on that path!” Hoseok smiled, trying to get Yoongi’s hopes up.

“Yes…Thanks for the advice Hoseok, you really are a mood maker!” Yoongi replied gratefully.

“Anytime Min!” Hoseok smiled and continued. “Speaking of good mood, my daughter’s birthday is coming up! I and Aanchal are hoping you will make it to the party!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter