Face to Face

Daisies and Rues
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The car came to a slow halt on the quiet street, illuminated by the lamp posts. The cold and soft air from the rain brushed past Yoongi’s face as he lowered down the window and stared at the café across the street. Even through the shower of the rain, he could make out the tiny figure moving inside through the huge glass window. Yoongi looked back at the steering wheel and sighed. Should he go in or not? He was in a fix. After the morning reaction of Minju seeing him, he was reluctant to meet her, again. But then he recalled his conversation with Taehyung. The damage created in two years was enough, maybe he shouldn’t he run away from his past anymore.

Yoongi drew a long breath and opened the car door. He glanced at both the sides before crossing the street. His footsteps splashed in the water as he ran across the road. Once he reached the café entrance, he had no time to collect himself with the heavy downpour wetting his clothes. He quickly turned the door knob and entered inside.

“Oh! I am sorry but we are already closed…” He shook the wet hair off his forehead and looked in the direction of the voice. And there across the counter, stood Minju, frozen with shock. Her voice was stuck in while her eyes couldn’t even blink after looking at him.

“YOU!” she half whispered and screamed in disbelief. “What are you doing here?” she asked in a dangerously low voice.

“Minju….we need to talk…” Yoongi spoke out rather politely.

“Oh! Talk?” Minju asked in a dramatic demeanour “I believe we needed to have this ‘Talk’ two years ago…Inspector Min.” she purposefully exaggerated the last two words.

Yoongi looked at her, finding it difficult to speak. “Minju…I know I left things astray the way I shouldn’t have. And that’s why I want you to know everything.”

“You mean, you finally woke up from your slumber and now want tell me that all along you were just a police officer who used me as a pawn for one of his cases.” she stated coldly. “That too after you had to face me?”

Yoongi his lips and tried to speak again when she cut him off.

“Please…I am not in a mood to talk to you… I am closing down anyway, so please leave.” She hurriedly untied her apron, trying not to look him in the eye. She hated to admit it but looking at the soft expression on his face and the familiar black orbs of his triangular eyes, it still gave her that warm, fuzzy feeling from years ago.

“It’s raining cats and dogs out there…are you… really going to turn me out?” Yoongi asked, looking at the heavy downpour outside. The universe too seemed to take his side as a terrible thunder flashed across the sky the next second he spoke.

Minju blinked her eyes shut. Truth was she was too taken aback seeing him again the same day. A mix of emotions had erupted inside her. She herself didn’t know what to do. If she was the same Minju from years ago, she would have run and hugged him. Asked him if he was okay, help him get his drenched coat off. But now all the affection towards him seemed to have vanished, or had it?

She opened her eyes and briefly stared at him. Throwing the apron to the side, she grabbed one of the Styrofoam cups for the coffee and went towards the coffee machines.

Seeing that she didn’t attempt to throw him out again, Yoongi quietly went and took a seat in one of the booths. The sound of hot liquid pouring in the cup filled the room. While her hands were busy, her eyes stole glances at Yoongi. He appeared so different from what she was used to. Once upon a time, different hair colours used to adorn his hair, right from pink, blonde to even mint green. Not to mention those piercings he had, to give himself a bas look. But that sweet smile of his used to always falter his efforts to look tough. Ironically he actually looked tough now, with the jet black hair and the smart police uniform. He looked so uptight, so different…

Minju sighed and closed the cup with the lid. After tiding up, she walked to where Yoongi was sitting and placed the cup on the table, taking a seat in front of him.

Yoongi looked at the drink and then at her face, surprised.

Minju sighed, “Your clothes are soaked wet. You will catch a cold if you stay like that...so warm up.”She motioned at the cup.

“Oh!” Yoongi didn’t know what to say. Such a gesture was unexpected to him. He picked it up and took a sip. “Espresso” he mentally noted. She still remembered his likes and dislikes. A ghost of a smile crept up on his face at that thought. “It’s good. Thank you.” He said.

“Of course it should be good! I run a café after all.” Minju shrugged it off.

Yoongi gave her brief node and went for another sip. “You opened your dream café after all.” He smiled slightly at her. Now it was her turn to be surprised, he still remembered her ambitious dream. “Yeah…I did.” She gave him a short reply.

Once again silence hovered on them; the only noise was of the raindrops hitting the windowpane creating a melancholy stream of water slide down the glass. As some more moments of the uneasy silence passed, Minju spoke up. “You were that mole in the gang, weren’t you?”

Suddenly Yoongi felt his mouth go dry, despite of the coffee he was drinking. What was he going to say? Just tell her what he had told Taehyung? Apologise? Beg her forgiveness? Honestly he was lost for words.

“Minju ah…I know you won’t believe me… But I am so, so sorry for whatever happened. The whole affair was more complicated than you could imagine and I really wish things hadn’t gotten this far.”

“Uhmm… Sorry for what exactly? Sorry for lying to me about whom you really were? Sorry for using me? Sorry for playing with my feelings? Sorry for abruptly leaving me that I didn’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter