Practice

Untouchable

It is already the middle of the semester. The past few weeks flew by for Jungkook, and he has had many accomplishments to boast. His basketball team has been on a winning streak, he has been spending more time with his friends, and he is excelling at his guitar skills. Everything was going so well for Jungkook.

Jungkook was listening to music on his way to school when he was shoved by an overly excited boy.

“Jungkookie,” Jimin began while smiling like a dork. “Congrats on winning last night again. I can’t believe how cool you looked on court last night! You made 23 points!”

“Hey Jimin,” Jungkook began as he took out an ear bud. “How about next time you try to congratulate me you don’t push me as hard okay. Thanks though. For a few seconds there I didn’t think we were going to win.”

“I’m sorry,” Jimin apologized while looking down at his feet. “I’ll be less enthusiastic next time. Do you have any this weekend?”

“Not as of right now. Why?” Jungkook questioned as the pair made their way to their first period class.

“Just wondering,” Jimin mumbled bashfully. “Maybe we can hang out if nothing pops up?”

“Yeah, I’ll keep you updated,” Jungkook replied as he opened the door for them. “Hey, we are about to be late. I’ll catch you later!”

Jungkook rushed off to his class because he can’t afford to have a tardy blemish his already perfect attendance record.

Maybe this will be the week I can finally have Jungkook to myself,” Jimin thought as he headed to biology. “I’ll ask him on Thursday if the plan is still on, and then we can go on a date. I think it is time he knows my true feelings.”

---

“Hey Jieun,” Jungkook said as he made his way to her before the beginning of music class. “How was your day been so far?”

“Bleh, nothing too much to report,” Jieun said as she scooted over to let Jungkook sit by her. “I have a lot of group projects that I’ve put off until the end, and I should have known that none of my teammates for any of them would pull their weight. For the next week I’m barely going to sleep. What about you? I saw you win the basketball game last night.”

“Yeah, that was a rough game, but I am so happy we pulled the dub,” Jungkook said smiling, remembering his three-point shots. “I’m sorry about your projects though. If you need help, I think I can make some time to help you.”

“No, don’t worry about it,” Jieun said as she looked away, a small blush forming on her cheeks. “It isn’t as hard as I’m making it out to be. Plus, you are always busy.”

“Not as busy as you think,” Jungkook said and he twiddled his thumbs. “I’ve been sort of bored lately. I’ve been craving for some adventure.”

“Maybe that adventure can come from you two dating,” a third voice said. “I think you two would look cute together.”

“Yoongi!” Jungkook barked at the older boy. “Why are you here?”

“Mr. Kim asked me to come into class today to help a few people who are struggling with the piano, and I just happened to overhear you two,” Yoongi said as he placed his bag down and put his hands in his jacket pockets. “I still stand by what I said too, I think you two should date.”

“That’s outrageous Yoongi,” Jungkook said while shaking his head and standing up.

“I mean, most people around school already think that you two are dating anyway,” Yoongi said as he popped a lollipop into his mouth. “If I didn’t know you, I would have thought the same thing. The way you two were sitting and talking seemed a little more than friendly.”

“Well, we are just friends,” Jieun said a little too forcefully. “Plus, even if did like one another it is no one’s business.”

“So, you do admit,” Yoongi began while smirking, “you do like Jungkook?”

“I never said anything of the sort,” Jieun retorted as she picked up her bag and walked off to her seat. “Talk to you tomorrow Jungkook.”

“Why’d you go and do that for Yoongi?” Jungkook said as he crossed his arms, shooting daggers into Yoongi.

“I just needed to know if the rumors were true,” Yoongi simply replied. “You weren’t telling us anything, and your small gestures in the hallway with Jieun do seem a little suspicious. The rumors didn’t help your case in the slightest.”

“Well, you just made her mad,” Jungkook said as he began walking to his seat. “Now things are going to be awkward between us, and she is one of my only friends.”

“Nothing will happen Jungkook,” Yoongi said just as Taehyung was entering the room.

“Good afternoon class!” Taehyung began. “I cannot wait to begin class today, but before I do, I must introduce a visitor. This is Min Yoongi, and he will be floating around today. He is in my advanced music class, and he is truly an amazing artist. If anyone has questions, specifically the piano students, please feel free to ask this musical prodigy.”

Yoongi bowed to the class and they clapped. However, Jungkook could not bring himself to share in the applause.

“Yoongi could have seriously hurt my friendship with Jieun,” Jungkook thought as his arms when into a crossed position. “He is digging his nose into something that doesn’t concern him.”

“Yoongi, please go to the back as I share the instructions for today,” Taehyung said and Yoongi moved himself. “Now, before we begin today’s class, I would like to remind you all of some things. First, I am so unbelievably proud of how you all have progressed through this semester. It brings me so much happiness seeing you all become one with your instrument, and I cannot wait to see how much further you all can go. Second, remember that this Friday we will be having another discussion class, and I do expect everyone to talk. Third, next Friday we will not be having a discussion class, but rather everyone will be required to perform a piece to the class. Now, today we will continue working on the pieces you will be performing for everyone next week, so please go to your stations and begin.”

Jungkook looked like a deer in headlights.

“What does he mean perform in front of the class?” Jungkook thought to himself in shock. “He never said that was a part of the class.”

Jungkook walked solemnly to his seat, still in complete shock at the news. He was sitting for a few minutes before he noticed someone was sitting next to him.

“What’s up Jungkook?” Taehyung asked. “You haven’t picked up the guitar yet, and it’s been a few minutes. Something on your mind?”

“Well, I was just taken aback by the presentation,” Jungkook revealed honestly. “I don’t know if I’m able to perform in front of the class.”

“You have nothing to worry about,” Taehyung began. “You are such an excellent guitarist, and you have progressed the most these past few weeks. Plus, you can’t be nervous to perform in front of people. I know for a fact you are the star basketball player.”

“That’s different Mr. Kim,” Jungkook said as he put his head in his hands. “Playing basketball and playing a guitar are two completely different things. When I play basketball, I have my teammates who help back me up, and the loud roar of the crowd cheering us on gives me the added push to work harder. But, playing the guitar is very intimate. It’s only me, and I must rely on myself. No one is cheering me on, but rather judging my skills. Playing the guitar is very intimate and personal to me, and it isn’t something I want to share with anyone else. Well, except you of course.”

“I completely understand all of your fears Jungkook,” Taehyung began, his cheeks also beginning to get rosy from Jungkook’s last sentence. “However, how are you going to improve if you never open yourself up to criticism. I can bet that when you first began playing basketball you felt a bit of nervousness too, but after playing and practicing that feeling slowly faded away. That same fading will come with performing with an instrument. Also, you are an amazing player, and no one is going to judge you harshly.”

“Thank you for the support,” Jungkook said as he looked towards the guitar. “I guess the idea just hasn’t sunk in just yet.”

“How about this,” Taehyung said. “If you really feel that nervous about performing in front of an audience, I can have private lessons with you after school.”

Silence fell over the pair and Jungkook began thinking over the proposition. Taehyung nervously swallowed, scared that he had pushed bounds with the younger. Seconds felt like terrible hours, but Jungkook finally decided.

“I think that would help,” Jungkook finally said. “My only free afternoon is on Friday though. The rest of my week if filled with basketball practice and games. I can also meet on the weekends if I’m not too busy with school work.”

“That works well with me,” Taehyung said with a small smile. “This Friday meet here after school, and we can begin working on your piece for next week. I believe in you Jungkook okay. Now, pick up that guitar and let’s get started on this piece.”

---

A few days had passed, and Taehyung was meeting with a group of friends from college at a local dessert shop in town. Taehyung was the first to arrive, and he was looking at all the options.

“I wonder if I should get Jungkook a snack for our Friday practice,” Taehyung thought as he browsed through the abundance of options. “Surely he would be hungry. He is a teenage boy, and he is obviously athletic. I wonder what types of foods he likes.”

Taehyung kept thinking about a certain raven-haired boy when he heard a familiar voice entering the shop.

“Namjoon, you know that isn’t reasonable,” Seokjin said as the two walked to the counter.

“I’m just saying Seokjin,” Namjoon responded.

“I’m not hearing any more of it,” Seokjin muttered harshly towards Namjoon. “Hey Taehyung, long time no see.”

“Liar, we saw each other last week when we went out drinking,” Taehyung smirked as he went to hug the two. “Well, I guess we did barely see one another. You two were all up on one another as I had to defend myself in the corner.”

“That one guy was keeping you company,” Seokjin defended himself.

“Your memory is all bonkers,” Taehyung said as he snickered. “That guy was full on hitting on me. His pick-up lines were a no-go. He finally left me alone when I made up a fake story about my boyfriend being late.”

Namjoon scoffed as Seokjin gently pushed him.

“As if you will ever have a boyfriend,” Namjoon said. “You haven’t been with anyone since freshman year of college, and now you are a full teacher.”

“That was rude Namjoon!” Seokjin hissed.

Taehyung rolled his eyes and went to the counter to order his piece of cake and coffee, and he had one piece of cake wrapped up to go. The other two men followed suit, and they made their way to a booth.

“Why’d you get two cakes?” Seokjin asked as he began eating his carrot cake.

“I am practicing with a student tomorrow after school, and I thought it would be nice to give him something,” Taehyung said as he smiled towards the box.

“How has teaching been anyway?” Namjoon started. “Is it everything that you thought it would be?”

“It’s been going really well,” Taehyung said truthfully. “All of my students are doing so well, and I even have a prodigy in my advanced music class.”

“Is he the one you are meeting up with tomorrow?” Seokjin asked.

“Naw, Yoongi would rather not be in class, but that boy can work music magic,” Taehyung said as he sipped on his coffee. “I’m going to tutor Jungkook. He is also an amazing guitarist, and I am continuously impressed by his abilities.”

“Well, I am for one happy to see you doing well,” Seokjin said.

“I, on the other hand, think that it is time you go out into the dating world again,” Namjoon butted in.

“Namjoon!” Seokjin basically screamed at his lover. “You know his past.”

“I can defend myself Seokjin,” Taehyung said softly. “I’m just not ready yet Namjoon. I don’t want to carelessly get into another relationship like I did last time. That ended horribly, and I don’t want to go down that road again. If I end up meeting someone though, you two will be the first to know. However, how has both of your classes been?”

The trio sat for a few more hours talking about life, and reminiscing about their college days.

---

“Jungkookie!” Jimin yelled from across the street.

Jungkook was startled by the noise, and he looked over to see a running Jimin coming his way.

“I can’t believe it is Friday already,” Jimin said while breathing heavily. “This week flew by so fast.”

“Yeah, I can’t believe it either honestly,” Jungkook said as the pair headed to the bus stop.

“Are you still free this weekend?” Jimin asked with hope in his voice.

“I wish I was,” Jungkook confessed. “I have a lot more work than I originally thought.”

“Oh, well what about this evening?” Jimin questioned.

“I actually have practice with Mr. Kim, my music teacher,” Jungkook said. “I need to work on my guitar skills more.”

“Aww, I guess we can’t hang out after all,” Jimin said quietly, his voice wavering.

“I’m really sorry Jimin,” Jungkook said. “Once I have some free time, we can hang out okay.”

“Okay,” Jimin responded with his head hung low. “I just miss you sometimes.”

“Don’t you ever miss me?” Jimin thought as the pair made it to the bus stop.

---

Hello everyone! I hope you are all enjoying this story so far! Please leave comments on what you think of the recent developments. I want the story to move a bit faster, which is why I made there be a time hop of a few weeks. I cannot wait to share the next chapter! <3 Remember to subscribe and give the story a vote!