Anew

Untouchable

The rest of the week went off without a hitch. Jungkook didn’t have any more conversations with Taehyung, but he did keep seeing him on the bus in the morning. However, Jungkook didn’t have time to think about the man with glasses. He needed to worry about managing all his classes, and starting Monday basketball practice begins.

Jungkook was laying on his bed after school on Friday, and a huge groan radiated throughout the house.

“I’m already stressed!” Jungkook yelled towards his ceiling.

His mother came rushing from the living room, thinking that something terrible happened to her son. She barged into the room.

“What’s wrong!” she screamed. “Are you okay Jungkookie?”

“I’m fine Umma, I was just stressing about school,” Jungkook replied. “You know I always get stressed with everything.”

“Well, if you ever get too stressed out just remember that it is perfectly okay to let go of some of your obligations,” Jungkook’s mother said calmingly. “You don’t have to do everything in school. Believe it or not, you can have some fun every now and again.”

Jungkook stared at the ceiling for a few moments before looking towards his mom.

“Mom, do you think my life up to today has been too boring?” Jungkook questioned, waiting in anticipation for his mom’s response.

“I wouldn’t necessarily say it has been boring,” his mom began. “But, I do think you don’t give yourself enough freedom to do things outside of your comfort zone. You constantly put yourself in a safe bubble, and that doesn’t give you much wiggle room to have fun. Why do you ask?”

“No reason, I guess it has been bothering me,” Jungkook confessed. “Over the summer I just had an epiphany that I didn’t want to be on my death bed with nothing to show for myself. I don’t know. Maybe I’m thinking too much about it.”

“Well, you are the power to change your future,” Jungkook’s mom said. “You have decades of life ahead of you, so don’t think you are at the end of the road just yet. Let’s say you are but a hatchling in a bird’s nest. All you currently know is the nest, but one day you are going to take flight and experience the world from a new perspective.”

For some reason this resonated with Jungkook.

“I’ll gain my wings one day,” Jungkook said to himself and his mom.

“There you go,” she said with a small smile on her face. “Now that I know that you aren’t dying on me, I’m going to begin on dinner. Is there anything that you are feeling?”

“Actually, can I go eat out with my friends tonight?” Jungkook asked with huge puppy eyes.

“You know I can’t resist when you do those puppy eyes,” his mother replied, memories of young Jungkook filling her mind. “Just remember to be safe. I’ll leave some money on the counter for you. I love you honey.”

“I love you too Umma,” Jungkook responded.

With one last smile, Jungkook’s mother closed the door and retreated to the den. Jungkook laid on the bed for a few minutes before calling up the gang to eat. Everyone seemed ecstatic at the thought of eating out as a group, and they made plans to meet up at a local diner that they all enjoyed.

A few hours passed, and Jungkook met up with Jimin to take the bus to the diner.

“Jungkook, why did you want to eat out today?” Jimin asked. “You’ve never asked us out to eat before. It’s always either Hoseok or I who have to beg you and Yoongi to eat with us.”

“I guess I wanted to do something I wouldn’t usually do,” Jungkook said. “Plus, this is a good way to end the first week back at school. Before you know it all of us are going to be super busy with school that we won’t have time for this again.”

“I guess you’re right,” Jimin said. “How has your music class been going? You said something about it was going all right on Wednesday.”

“That pretty much sums it up, it’s been going alright,” Jungkook said. “Not much has happened. Since it is a beginning class Mr. Kim is teaching us how to read sheet music and what all the different notes mean. It hasn’t been hard by a long shot, and I’ve chosen what my instrument I’m playing.”

“Oh, what is it going to be?” Jimin asked, his eyes wide with curiosity.

“I’ve settled on the guitar,” Jungkook said proudly. “I thought it would be an easy instrument to play, and I can easily play it where I want. I’m not limited to places like I would be with a piano or drums.”

“Yah, you are becoming a musician!” Jimin exclaimed loudly. “You better play for me one day. I am your best friend after all.”

“You’ll be the first person I play to,” Jungkook said with a huge grin. “You make me feel comfortable.”

It was a good thing Jungkook wasn’t paying any attention to Jimin because Jimin’s face became as red as a tomato.

“He can’t keep saying stuff like that,” Jimin thought. “He doesn’t know how those words affect me.”

Jimin’s thoughts were interrupted by Jungkook grabbing his hand to pull him towards the nearing bus.

“We have to run Jimin or we are going to miss the bus!” Jungkook yelled while beginning to run.

The two ran to the bus stop, and the entire time Jimin didn’t want to let go of Jungkook’s hand.

“This feels right,” Jimin thought. “I wonder what he is thinking.”

The sat on the bus together talking about miscellaneous things for the remainder of the trip to the diner. Jungkook kept talking about all the dishes he wanted to eat, but all Jimin could think about was his feelings towards Jungkook. Jimin kept rubbing his hand where Jungkook touched it.

“Oh, this is ridiculous,” Jimin thought, scolding himself. “There is no way he would have feelings towards me. He’s known I’ve been attracted to guys for a while now, and he has never said he felt the same way towards men. I have to get this fantasy out of head.”

The two young men reached the diner where Yoongi and Hoseok were already at a table. The group exchanged a few casual greetings before ordering their respective meals.

“I’m going to be the first one to say I’m glad this week is finally over,” Yoongi said with an exasperated voice. “I can’t wait until I graduate. I won’t have to sit through another calculus class, and for that matter I’ll also be done with literature.”

“You know, I can’t remember a time when you didn’t complain,” Hoseok said. “You have to be cheerful every now and again! Turn that frown upside down.”

“Not all of us must be radiating positive energy like you,” Yoongi said with a slight glare in his eyes. “You can’t deny that my personality is a reason why you talked to be that one day.”

“All I wanted to do was make you smile,” Hoseok said in his defense. “You were in the corner of the rooming shooting glares towards everyone, and I thought you needed a friend.”

“You thought you were giving me friendship, but all you are is a parasite,” Yoongi said with a grin.

“You can’t deny that my personality is the reason why you continued talking to be after that day,” Hoseok said in triumph.

“You won this round,” Yoongi said in defeat. “Anyway, I saw Jimin talking to the new kid in class today. What was that all about?”

“He didn’t know anyone, so I thought I could become his friend,” Jimin said.

“Did you find him attractive?” Yoongi persisted. “The second I saw that kid’s face he looked like your type of man. He was tall with dark hair and dark eyes.”

“Yah!” Jimin shouted. “If I was in his position I would want someone to talk to me, and I’m just a good person. How do you even know my type?”

“You aren’t hard to read Jimin,” Yoongi said. “You wear your heart on your sleeve.”

Yoongi looked at Jimin then to Jungkook then back to Jimin. He raised his eyebrow, almost acknowledging that Jimin is hiding more than it seems.

“Shoot, does he know?” Jimin thought frantically. “I thought I was so careful about hiding my feelings towards Jungkook.”

“Leave him alone Yoongi,” Jungkook said with a little anger lacing his voice. “You always pick on him. Just because Jimin has the capacity to love someone doesn’t mean you have the right to call him out on it.”

“I’m sorry, there are you happy,” Yoongi said, knowing he might have overstepped.

“Thank you Jungkook,” Jimin said with a small voice.

“Cheer up buttercup,” Hoseok said, attempting to cut the tension. “Look, the food’s here!”

The four boys left the previous conversation and indulged in the feast in front of them. Jimin couldn’t shake off the conversation though. Yoongi kept looking between Jimin and Jungkook, he knew there was something more there than meets the eye. Once the boys all finished their food and paid, Jungkook and Hoseok went to the bathroom.

“I know your secret Jimin,” Yoongi said nonchalantly. “You may be fooling Jungkook, but I’m not easily tricked.”

“What are you talking about Yoongi?” Jimin questioned while taking a sip of his water.

“You like Jungkook more than a friend would like another friend,” Yoongi began. “One could even say you might love him.”

Jimin choked on his water. He felt like he was drowning.

“How did you know?” Jimin asked, fear in his eyes.

“I’ve speculated for a while, and your reaction just now confirmed my thoughts,” Yoongi said with an air of ease. “Don’t worry Jimin. I’m not a bad person. I won’t tell Jungkook anything. All I’m going to say is maybe don’t think too much of that future of you and Jungkook together. I don’t want to see you getting hurt.”

“I can take care of myself Yoongi,” Jimin said. “Thank you for not saying anything, but maybe you shouldn’t dwell on my relationships anymore.”

At that moment the duo returned from the restroom, and they all made their way back home after saying their goodbyes. Jimin and Jungkook got off the bus and began walking back to their homes.

“That was really fun!” Jungkook said. “All that food was so good.”

“You are such a piggy,” Jimin said while laughing. “I just can’t seem to figure out where all that food goes. You are so lean!”

“I have to bulk up for basketball,” Jungkook said. “I need to be in tip top shape to pull my weight for the team.”

“If it’s any consolation, I think you are perfect just the way you are,” Jimin said with a big smile.

“Complements like those are the reason why you are my best friend,” Jungkook said.

The word best friends hit Jimin like a ton of bricks.

“That’s all I’ll ever be to you,” Jimin thought. “Your best friend.”

“Well here is where I have to leave you,” Jimin said to Jungkook as they reached the corner of the street. “Goodbye, have a great weekend! Rest up before practice begins next week!”

“Goodbye Jimin!” Jungkook said with a wave. “See you bright and early Monday morning!”

The two boys parted, each with different emotions. Jungkook was excited that he took a baby step outside his comfort zone, and he was excited to see what else he could do. Jimin felt a load of weight on his shoulders knowing he has feelings for Jungkook that aren’t returned.

Jungkook came back home where he said goodnight to his mother, noticing his father wasn’t home yet. He went up to his room and got ready. He was close to turning off the lights, but he picked up his guitar and strummed a bit. After a few minutes he looked outside his window at the moon.

“Here is to anew future where I create my rules, and I don’t hide inside my bubble,” Jungkook said determinedly to himself.

The world fell asleep under the light of the moon and stars, and for once, everything seemed right for Jungkook.

On the other side of the neighborhood, a lone figure was also looking at the moon through his window.

“I wonder what next week will bring,” a man with glasses said while sipping on tea.