Peace

Untouchable

It was finally Friday morning, and the alarm clock rang at 6:30 a.m. sharp. Jungkook quickly pressed the off button and laid in bed for a few minutes. Staring at the ceiling, he thought back on the week he just had. He was a lot more tired than usual because of basketball practice, but he is slightly nervous about after school. Today are the tryouts for the basketball team. Thankfully, school had not become to difficult yet, but Jungkook keeps reminding himself to keep on top of his studies in order to not fall behind. On the bright side, Jungkook and Jieun had actual conversations before class, and that made music class a little more bearable for Jungkook. Mr. Kim has also been helping Jungkook out in class, and he has been learning at a rapid pace.

“Just get through today, and you can have fun tonight with the gang,” Jungkook said out loud to himself.

Jungkook went through his morning routine, and quickly ran out the door before the bus would leave him. As usual, Jungkook and Jimin met up at the bus stop, and they had a casual conversation. Taehyung’s absence did not go unnoticed by Jungkook.

“Hey Jimin, would you like to go to the movies tonight?” Jungkook asked. “I want to relax after my tryouts today.”

“Is he asking me on a date?” Jimin thought as his cheeks began getting rosy.

“I don’t think I am doing anything tonight, and it seems fun!” Jimin responded with a huge smile.

“Great!” Jungkook said while smiling back. “Remind me to invite Yoongi and Hoseok when we get to school.”

Jimin’s smile faltered a little.

“Oh, I guess it was too good to be true,” Jimin thought as he looked to the widow, facing away from Jungkook. “You shouldn’t get your hopes up too high Jimin, you know nothing will ever happen between us. All I am is Jungkook’s friends, and that is all I will ever be.”

The remainder of the bus ride was uneventful. Jungkook felt good about going to the movies later that evening. Jimin felt his heart shatter ever so slightly. Once the bus made it to school, the two boys rushed out and headed to class.

The morning was like any other morning, and before Jungkook knew it was lunch time. He quickly grabbed some food to give him energy for his tryouts, and he made his way to the usual lunch table.

“Hey Yoongi,” Jungkook said while sitting down across from him. “How’s your day been?”

Yoongi looked extra tired. His under eyes were more dark than usual, and his entire appearance looked worse.

“It could be worse,” Yoongi replied lazily while picking at his rice. “I can’t complain too much. What about you? Are you ready for tryouts today?”

“I’m ready as I can be,” Jungkook said while eating his food. “I don’t want to jinx myself, but I do think I have a great shot at being picked. However, I don’t want to think about it right now. What are you doing tonight?”

“Um, I don’t have anything planned,” Yoongi said. “Why what’s up?”

“Want to come to the movies with Jimin and I?” Jungkook asked with a huge smile. “I want to relax after tryouts, and I thought it would be great if the entire gang went together!”

“Wow, he really did Jimin dirty,” Yoongi thought. “That poor kid is going to be so heartbroken.”

“Yeah, I can make it,” Yoongi replied. “Have you asked Hoseok?”

“Naw, not yet,” Jungkook said. “I haven’t seen him today. But speak of the devil, here he comes right now.”

Hoseok and Jimin both made their way to the table, and once again they were in a heated discussion.

“Hoseok, I told you I have plans tonight already,” Jimin said sort of irritably as he placed his food down. “Jungkook and I are going to the movies.”

“And me,” Yoongi interrupted.

“And Yoogni,” Jimin said with a little bit of sass. “So, you see we can’t dance today! Maybe sometime next week.”

“Fine, I guess I won’t be able to see your slick moves today after all,” Hoseok responded sadly. “Why wasn’t I invited Jungkook?”

“I was going to invite you now actually,” Jungkook said while sipping some water. “Want to come to the movies with Jimin, Yoongi and I?”

“Hm,” Hoseok said while pretending to think deeply and holding his chin. “I guess I can pencil you into my busy busy busy schedule.”

At that moment, Jieun walked by the table, and she waved at Jungkook. Jungkook waved back, and the entire table was shocked at the small interaction.

“Woah, how do you know Jieun?” Hoseok asked with big eyes.

“We have the same music class together, and we talk before class,” Jungkook casually replied while eating some more food.

“You do know she is one of the most popular girls in school, right?” Yoongi interjected. “She has so many people asking her out all the time, and she is downright beautiful.”

“Do you like her Jungkook?” Jimin asked with a small voice, scared to hear his answer.

“Yo, calm down everyone,” Jungkook said while making a X with his arms. “One question at a time. We are just friends okay. I don’t think of her like that. I just wanted a friend in class, and she seemed nice.”

“Phew, so he doesn’t like her like that,” Jimin thought relieved.

Yoongi looked over at Jimin, and he saw how relieved he was. He brushed his shoulder against him, attempting to soothe the younger boy.

“Still, most guys would kill for that wave,” Hoseok said. “You are one lucky dude.”

“Let’s stop talking about this,” Jungkook said while nervously touching his neck. “Are any of you going to come to my tryouts?”

“I can,” Hoseok said.

“I would but I need to mix some music before the movie,” Yoongi replied.

“I planned on it,” Jimin said.

“Great so here’s the plan,” Jungkook began.

The rest of lunch was filled with planning out the evening. Jimin was preoccupied by the thoughts of Jungkook liking someone else. Yoongi was scared to see Jimin hurt. Hoseok was paying close attention to Jungkook. The bell finally rang, and the group split up.

Jungkook was heading to his next class when he began to think back to the bus ride that morning.

“I wonder if Mr. Kim will be in class today,” Jungkook thought. “He wasn’t on the bus. Surely he has a car.”

As Jungkook walked into class he saw Jieun, and he made his way to her.

“Hey Jungkook,” Jieun said smiling to him. “Are you nervous for the tryouts?”

“Not really, but I have also been trying to keep my mind preoccupied,” Jungkook responded.

The pair had a small conversation before Taehyung walked through the door. The bell rang, and class began.

“Hello everybody!” Taehyung said enthusiastically. “It is finally Friday, and that means we will be having a discussion-based class today instead of practicing your instruments. Everyone form a circle please!”

“Where was he this morning?” Jungkook asked himself while getting into the circle next to Jieun.

“Great, now we will be talking about this past week, and just checking in on where everyone is currently at in this class,” Taehyung began. “Everyone will have a chance to speak, and I encourage each of you to speak freely. This classroom is a no judgement zone, and if you have any insecurities or difficulties please share. Others in the class may feel the same. Today, I want everyone to talk about how this first full week of learning an instrument has been going, and overall your experience thus far in this classroom. You can also share on different ways to I can help you enrich your learning experience and this classroom. Now, let’s begin.”

“Shoot, I really did not want to speak,” Jungkook thought as he began biting his lip nervously. “I don’t want anyone to know how I am feeling.”

Jungkook sat fidgeting in his chair, and Taehyung noticed this.

“I wonder what is wrong with him,” Taehyung thought. “Surely he can’t be nervous. He has been learning at an outstanding rate. I can talk to him after class.”

As the class period progressed, Jungkook began blocking out his peers. He was nervous for his turn to speak in front of the class. While he was deep in thought, he failed to realize that his turn was quickly creeping up on him. Taehyung’s voice caught him off guard.

“Jungkook, it’s your turn,” Taehyung said softly with an encouraging smile.

“Um, this week has been going alright with me,” Jungkook said with a small smile. “Learning the guitar has been super fun, and I did not think I would like it as much as I have been. It has been somewhat lonely for me to learn since no one else here is learning the guitar, but I am managing. I hope that you can teach us to read sheet music a bit more. There were a few notes on this week’s sheet music I did not know well, and I had to search them up. Other than that, I think what you have been doing so far has been working well for the class.”

“Thank you for sharing Jungkook,” Taehyung responded. “Well, class is about over, so I’ll let everyone out a few minutes early today. Remember that you were all given new sheet music to look over this weekend and beginning on Monday we will be practicing this new sheet music in class. Also due on Monday is a quick one-page reflection of your learning experience from this week. The rubric for that assignment is at the front, so please remember to pick that up. I will not be excepting late work. Additionally, next Friday we will have another discussion class. If there are no other questions, I hope that everyone has a great weekend!”

As everyone was packing up to leave, Taehyung walked over to Jungkook.

“Hey Jungkook,” Taehyung began, “I couldn’t help but notice you seemed off today. Is everything alright?”

“Um, yes sir,” Jungkook responded. “I guess I’m just nervous for the basketball tryouts after school.”

“Ah, okay,” Taehyung said while nodding. “Well, I hope you do well in your tryouts. I will make sure that next week I help you out a lot more. This week was sort of hectic trying to get everyone on track with their instruments. Have a great weekend Jungkook.”

“You too Mr. Kim,” Jungkook said with a smile as he left the room.

“There is no way that was only because of his tryouts,” Taehyung thought as he prepared for his next class. “There is something else wrong.”

The rest of the school day was uneventful, and before Jungkook knew it tryouts were upon him. Jimin and Hoseok came to support him. They sat in the bleachers of the hot and humid gym. Both of them were sweating profusely, but they didn’t care in the slightest. Every time that Jungkook did something right they cheered loudly for him, and when they were super loud the coach would shoot them glares. After about two hours tryouts were over.

“Everyone huddle up,” coach yelled to the group of sweaty boys. “Everyone did great out here. I liked the amount of dedication and motivation that I saw out of you all. On Monday morning I will post the results along with your respective positions. Other than that, you are all free to go!”

Jungkook jogged towards Jimin and Hoseok.

“You did great Jungkookie!” Jimin said with the biggest grin while holding up two thumbs up. “You are going to be on the team for sure!”

“You were on absolute fire out there man!” Hoseok exclaimed while fanning himself. “The whole reason this gym is hot is because of you.”

“Thanks,” Jungkook said while breathing heavily. “It went a lot better than expected. Let me shower up real quick, and then we can head out. Can we grab something to eat before the movie?”

“Yea,” Jimin and Hoseok said.

“We will wait out here for you, go in and shower,” Hoseok said.

Jungkook nodded and jogged off to the locker room.

“Man, now I wish I knew how to play basketball,” Hoseok said while looking towards the basketball net. “Everyone looked so cool out there!”

“Yeah, but Jungkook looked the best,” Jimin replied, his cheeks getting a rose hue. “Jungkook is good at everything.”

“I would look better,” Hoseok replied while straightening out his back. “Plus, Jungkook can’t dance like me.”

“Yeah, but no one can dance like you Hoseok,” Jimin said with a smile looking towards Hoseok.

Jimin did not realize the same rosy hue appeared on Hoseok’s cheeks after that remark. The two boys kept themselves entertained until Jungkook came back. The three boys gathered their things and drove to pick up Yoongi. Once all four of them were together, they grabbed dinner and headed to the movie theater. They all had a great time with each other. They goofed off and created new memories.

“I am so peaceful,” Jungkook thought as the movie began with a huge smile on his face. “I am surrounded by my best friends, and I am getting out of my comfort zone. Maybe this year won’t be as boring.”

_____________________________________________________________

I cannot believe I have been gone for almost a year! I completely forgot about this story, and I feel so bad. I hope everyone had a great New Years! My winter vacation has been so relaxing and rejuvinating for me. One of my new years resolutions is to post more frequently on this story. I hope to have a new uploading schedule soon. Please comment and subscribe! I always enjoy hearing yalls feedback! <3