Beginnings

Untouchable

On a dewy Monday morning an aroma of bacon, eggs, and pancakes filled the Jeon household, and a mixture of excitement and nervousness came from a teenager’s bedroom. The clock struck 7 a.m. and an obnoxious ring came from the room that would have woken up the deadest of sleepers. Quickly the ring was silenced as a young man slammed the off button. It would have taken him longer to wake him up, but he had already been awake for the past hour thinking about how the day would unfold.

He sighed deeply, and he began getting ready for classes. To any onlooker it seemed like any ordinary morning for a junior in high school, which for the most part it was. However, this teenager had many emotions coursing through his body, and he had a mission.

“This is it,” he said to his reflection in the mirror. “You can do it. Every school year has been uneventful, but that is going to change this year. You must go seek adventures and begin having fun for yourself. You may have many commitments in school, but take time for yourself to have fun. Don’t get overwhelmed today, and keep a smile on your face always. You can do it Jungkook!”

As Jungkook stood in front of the mirror, he wondered what surprises the school year would hold for him. With all the goals he had in mind his eyes brushed over the guitar in the corner of his room. His eyes drooped a little as he stared longingly at the guitar.

“I’ll be able to play you proficiently one day, but for now I have to get through my first music class.”

He quickly fixed his uniform and hair before bolting downstairs with his backpack to eat breakfast.

It was like any other breakfast he had before. His mom wishing him good luck with his first day, and his father no where in sight as he left for work early once again. Running short on time, Jungkook quickly ate his breakfast to meet up with his friend, Jimin, at the bus stop nearby.

“I’m going to head out mom!” Jungkook exclaimed as he picked up his backpack and lunch. “I love you, and I’ll see you when I get home!”

Jungkook swiftly left his home, and he began his short walk to the bus stop. The birds were chirping happily, and the squirrels were running around playfully. Jungkook looked in awe as he witnessed the beauty of nature. His walk quickly came to an end, and to his surprise Jimin was not there yet. The city bus was scheduled to come in a few minutes, but Jungkook thought nothing of it. He put in his earphones and bopped his head to the music.

A few minutes or so passed by before people began coming to wait for the bus as well. Jungkook paid no attention to them, but he did grow more curious as to why Jimin wasn’t there yet. As another minute passed Jungkook called Jimin. After a few rings Jimin picked up.

“Hey Jimin, where are you?” Jungkook asked. “The bus is about to get here.”

“Oh shoot, I forgot to tell you,” Jimin said. “My mom told me she was going to take me to school all this week, so I’m not going to ride the bus. I’m so sorry.”

“It’s no problem man, I’ll see you at school,” Jungkook said. “See ya!”

After Jimin said goodbye Jungkook began bopping his head to the music again. He looked at the people who accumulated at the bus stop, and he recognized most of them from previous years. There were a few new faces, and one stood out to him.

It was a young man who was wearing a sweater vest, and he had glasses on. Jungkook stared for a while until the man looked back at him. Jungkook smiled quickly and looked back at his phone. The bus pulled up at that moment, and everyone began boarding. Jungkook swiped his card and sat near the middle of the bus. Luckily for him, the bus wasn’t as packed as usual, so he sat by himself. Which left him to his roaming thoughts for the entire bus ride.

“I hope the opening morning assembly isn’t long this year, last year it dragged on for over an hour,” Jungkook thought. “I hope that all my friends are already at school, I don’t want to be sitting by myself at the assembly. Realistically, I wonder how this music class is going to turn out. No one knows that I’m taking it, and I kind of hope it stays that way. I barely get any privacy with everyone is monitoring everything I do. Can’t stress too much about it.”

As Jungkook was thinking, a man sitting a few seats away from his kept glancing at the young boy. Almost as if Jungkook felt the gaze the two people in question locked gazes. They looked at each other for a few moments, and it was this time that the older man with glasses looked away first.

“I wonder what that was about,” Jungkook asked himself.

Before Jungkook could think more about the man with glasses, the bus stopped at the school, and most everyone began filing out. He grabbed his bag and went to the usual meeting spot to meet up with his friends. Thankfully, by the time he got there Jimin was waiting.

“Hey Jimin!” Jungkook exclaimed as they hugged each other. “Long time no see man! How was your summer?”

“Hey Jungkook,” Jimin replied with a bright smile. “My summer was pretty good. I got to travel to many cool places, but I am sure sad that it is over. What about you? Anything exciting happen?”

“Yah, you know that nothing happens in my life,” Jungkook said whilst laughing. “Unlike you, I am glad school has started up again. I was tired of being bored for most my summer. Not all of us get to travel all over unlike someone I know.”

“Haha,” Jimin replied sarcastically.

At that moment two other guys entered the group and greeted Jungkook and Jimin.

“Hey Yoongi and Hoseok!” shouted Jimin and Jungkook.

“What’s up losers,” replied Yoongi casually.

“Long time no see,” Hoseok said with a large smile on his face.

The four friends took a few minutes to catch up with one another, and there was laugher filling the air.

“Man, I’ve missed this,” Jungkook thought while smiling.

Breaking up the reunion was an announcing requesting everyone go to the auditorium for the beginning of school assembly. All four boys groaned, but nonetheless made their way. Once finding seats the assembly began.

“This is so boring,” Jungkook thought angrily to himself as the principal reused the same speech from the past two years to welcome everyone.

Jungkook looked at all the faculty who were on the stage. He recognized most of them, but he was caught off guard when he saw the man with glasses again.

“I didn’t expect him to be a teacher,” Jungkook thought.

His thoughts were interrupted when the principal began welcoming the new faculty members.

“Let me introduce the new music teacher, Kim Taehyung,” The principal announced.

The crowd clapped softly as the Taehyung stood up and bowed with a huge grin on his face. At that moment his eyes found Jungkook’s, and his smile grew a bit bigger.

“So that’s my new music teacher,” Jungkook thought. “This is going to be an interesting year.”

“To new beginnings,” Taehyung thought to himself while on stage, still staring at the boy he saw earlier on the bus.

The assembly adjourned, and classes began for the day.