Filling The Empty Heart With Love

The Color of Love

Jonghyun's perspective 

I felt rejected.

I knew that I couldn't be with Kibum after learning all the I put through him.

But it still hurts that I was rejected by the man I ever fell in love with.

I walked down the sidewalk besides an orphanage on my way to the supposed apartment that I somewhat rented.  How I even got the money - I never knew until earlier before I got discharged from the hospital.  It turns out that I went through the trouble of selling most of my stuff.  I knew I never had much stuff to begin with, last time I remembered, so imagine my surprise when I managed to open the door to a condominium.

Damn doctors told me this was like an apartment to them, those rich bastards.

Everything was, like, ing expensive.

What kind of stuff did I sell - MY GUITAR!!!

I ran to each room and checked to see if my valuable possession is anywhere, but alas I couldn't find my favorite guitar and amp.  It was then that I realized when I was out of my mind, I had sold my precious guitar just to live here.  The decoration and royal setting - it matched Key all too much.  Did I really think about him too much like that?  was all in my mind that I could think about.  If there was anything in my sane mind that loved something more than Key, it would have to be music.  I had that guitar with me since before I got kicked out of my parents' house.

I sighed and decided to take a shower, to clear my head out of everything that's happened to me lately.

 

 

 

A month later, I slowly got accustomed to living in Daegu.

Everything was pleasant here. If Key was with me right now, I'd be feeding his ego and smile with the new wonders of this place that he loves so much now.

It still hurts that he's not around, but I deserved it after what happened to me.

I got all the help, just in case, from every specialist I could find regarding my condition. Recently, I've been informed by all of the doctors that I'm rapidly getting cured. This gave me so much great news that I had to walk out today and take a walk. I've been exercising less but maintaining it for the sake of keeping my physical health.

As I turned around a corner at my block, my eyes trailed onto a frail little girl at an orphanage. She sniffled behind the fence and weeped silently, backed into a corner. I saw red once I noticed two boys at the orphanage cornering her by the metal fence.

"Hey!" I hollered at them as I ran over to the fence. The boys quickly snapped their heads up and ran away. Psh, they'll grow up as cowardly jerks.

My attention was solely on the small frail girl with long jet black hair. I crouched down to her level and looked at her with caring eyes, with the fence separating us. She looked directly at me and whispered, "Thank you...." so softly that I just had to do something. Something that was of impulse but maybe it was for the greater good this time.

My hand slowly grasped the metal fence and I calmly spoke to her with a soft voice. "Are you okay?" She nodded mutely in reply.

"Do you like it here?" She quickly frowned and shook her head. It was then I noticed her skin was bruised from where her shirt was slipping from her right shoulder. It occurred to me then that her shirt was two sizes too big on her.

"Exactly just how old are you?" I asked curiously. She hesitated then put up her left hand with an open palm. Five fingers. She was showing me five fingers. Her wrist also had bruising, as I bemusedly caught on with my eyesight.

This tiny girl couldn't possibly be five years old. I would have assumed she was three, with the way she was still clutching her teddy bear, which was practically half her size.

Letting out a shaky breath, I asked her what her name was. She stared at me for a long moment before meekly shrugging. I couldn't take how this orphanage had treated her. Couldn't they give this kid the decency to have a name, whether or not she already has a name when she was sent here?

"Do you mind if I take you away from here?"

Her eyes widened in shock for a moment before she smiled slightly.

It was the best answer I've ever gotten.

Key's perspective -----> 

A week after I got a strange text from Jonghyun, stating the exact words "I'm at peace with myself", I took Yoogeun to the playground with Hyunki and Onew hyung. As Onew hyung and I watched Yoogeun and Hyunki challenge each other at the monkey bars, we both heard a strange familiar laughter that ran a shiver down both our spines. He and I glanced at each other before slowly turning to the swing set.

Feeling shocked seeing Jjong push a little girl on a swing was putting it mildly.

I was more petrified and scared for the little girl, at the same time I wanted to smack the living out of my friend. I then wondered how the hell could he have hit his head again and turn his obession towards a child.

It seems as though Onew hyung thought of the same thing because when I turned to tell him what I thought, he was glaring daggers at Jjong.

It was understandable after all the that his family and I had been through.

I patted Onew hyung on the back carefully. "I'll handle this, Onew hyung." I reassured him before getting up off the bench and stalking towards Jjong and the little girl.

Before Jjong noticed I was right behind him, I whacked him several times on the back of his head with my man purse (shut up - it exists) without a moment of pauses between hits. He screamed and protested for me to stop, causing everyone in the playground to look in our direction. 

Of course I wasn't going to stop.

But I did when a shrill high, young voice shouted, "DADDY!" And started hitting my left leg with little fists.

I stopped and slowly looked down to find the little girl, who Jjong was pushing on the swings, glare up at me. "Let go of my daddy!" She stomped on my foot hard, which shouldn't hurt, but it did because I was wearing sneakers and she was wearing soccer cleats.

Onew hyung came over, still gaping in shock at the situation as I yelped and tried massaging my foot. The little girl ran to Jjong and hugged him tightly. "Shhh.....Jiyeon-ah, daddy's fine," Jjong whispered in a gentle voice, a voice that was nostalgic and missed in the past. "He's your Uncle Key. I simply forgot to call him for a while, that's all." When the little girl, Jiyeon, pouted and buried her face on Jjong's chest, Jjong immediately pouted at me and hugged Jiyeon tighter. "Although Uncle Key appears girly, he's really quite strong with a purse."

"YAH!" I shrieked, forgetting there were other families around the area. Onew hyung nudged at me and asked, "What are you doing here, Jonghyun? Why do you have a girl with you?"

Before Jonghyun could answer, Jiyeon looked up at us with a proud smile on her face. "He's my daddy! Daddy saved me from the demons at the bad place where they hurt all the bad kids," she innocently spoke with pride in her young voice, " - and after daddy saved me, he made sure the bad place burned down and put the bad kids where they can turn good, like me! Daddy says I'm good because I'm small and I don't deserve to get hit! That's why I'm training to be in every sport possible so I can be tough like daddy!"

I was pretty speechless at that point. Onew hyung, from the corner of my eye, was in the same position as I was.

Jjong sheepishly turned to Jiyeon. "Jiyeon-ah, Uncle Key and his friend have two boys who would love to play with you. Would you like to play with them?" He gestured to Yoogeun and Hyunki nearby, who I haven't even realized had stopped playing and had probably came towards once I started hitting Jjong earlier.

Jiyeon nodded and kissed Jjong on the cheek before running towards the boys, but not before grabbing the soccer ball near a pink duffel bag that was sitting by the swing set. "You wanna play soccer? Daddy says I'm good and I only started a couple of days ago!"

Onew hyung and I turned back to Jjong, silently demanding for an explanation.

"Okay, you're probably wanting to know whatever the hell Jiyeon just said, right?"

Onew hyung and I both nodded.

"Well, to decode her story, I just stumbled around the block to find an orphanage. There were a couple of boys there in the yard who were picking on her so I scared them off. I saw how she looked and I knew she was being abused by the orphanage. When I called a good lawyer to sue them with this evidence, the staff didn't even flinch or give a . Hell, they didn't give her or half the children at the orphanage a name. So.... I adopted her A.S.A.P. and gave her a name. Kim Jiyeon."

Onew hyung and I gaped at him in shock.

"Yep, I knew you were gonna react that way. Didn't expect the hitting though, ow."

Onew's perspective ----> 

Once Kibum got over the initial shock that Jonghyun was fine, he decided to watch the kids more. Frankly I thought it was because he was embarrassed with the public display earlier.

Although, it was indeed a decent reaction. An understandable reaction, regarding what we've both went through because of him.

Jonghyun and I silently agreed to talk in private and walked back to the bench were Kibum and I previously sat. Jonghyun carried his pink duffel bag. I gestured towards it. "You bought that for your.... daughter?" 

He nodded and patted it gently.

An awkward silence ensued between us. We both watched Kibum as he laughed, picking up Hyunki and pretending to be an airplane as Yoogeun taught Jiyeon how to climb the monkey bars.

"..........with Jiyeon around, I'm able to quickly adapt to life without Key."

I slowly turned to look at Jonghyun, who still stared at Kibum. At this point Kibum was trying to slide down the kiddie slides. Jonghyun kept talking. "I've always wanted children, but somehow knew I could never get them. I never thought it would be because I'm gay. That crazy accident screwed my head and Key's entire life. I love him, but he's right. He's moved on long ago, so should I."

He slowly turned to me with a grave expression. "Before the accident.... Key used to have nightmares after every thunderstorm or bad weathers you could imagine. Giving him warm tea helps. He's very fragile still despite appearing stronger than before, I noticed that. If anything were to happen to him, even if it wasn't at my own hands, I'd never forgive myself and the person who would hurt him after me." He kept eye contact with me with a serious expression, but with caring eyes. 

"......I promise to protect Kibum with my life. I wouldn't hurt him." I assured him with determination in my voice.

Jonghyun gave a firm nod to me, and that was the end of that conversation. We both laughed once we saw Kibum chasing after the kids, obviously playing hide-and-seek without needing Kibum around. My son whined at him for ruining the game, causing me to chuckle slightly.

It was then I realized then and there that I loved this young man. I really would do anything to protect him and I would never let him go.