Chapter five.

Disturbance.

No one was going to tell Soonyoung that he had just watched that all unfold in front of him. Was it even possible that Mingyu didn’t have his name on his wrist in return for him having the same? There was no way this kind of situation was right. Mingyu had to be wrong, but the taller seemed so convinced. So happy, it would be a shame if he would have to go ruin it just because he doesn’t think that this is right. Because he didn’t believe that honesty was being displayed at this point. It proved itself when Mingyu was asked to reveal his wrist. He kind of began to beat around the bush, take away the attention from the request he had just gotten and by the end of the night no one had really seen his engravement yet. Though then again, Soonyoung would be the last to have the right to say anything about that since he had never shown his soulmate mark to anyone yet either.

 

Though Wonwoo seemed to buy it, there was no doubt that the younger of the couple was completely over the moon about hearing that his boyfriend had him as his soulmate. There was no doubt that the younger emo boy might have been hoping so desperately for this that he didn’t even need the proof in order to believe it.

 

“It’s really me? Really?”

 

And Mingyu had just smiled his usual charming smile and confirmed the other’s question.

 

All this was far from the truth, there was no doubt that Soonyoung could literally feel his heart shattering into a thousand sharp-edged pieces upon hearing how Mingyu stated that his boyfriend was his soulmate. Not just because it wasn’t what he expected, but reality hit him that the taller obviously chose to lie. He was choosing to live his life away from Soonyoung even though it had just been revealed to him that they were soulmates and that is what hurt the most.

 

He had been the first one out of the dorm that night, though he wasn’t alone. Minghao had gotten out of his seat on the couch as soon as he noticed that his roommate and best friend was leaving. Both excused themselves calmly before exiting.

 

“Soonyoung—”

 

“Don’t talk to me, Minghao. I don’t want to talk about it.”

 

Even though his voice was quivering, obviously hurt and emotional – perhaps even of the verge of tears. And his Chinese best friend seemed to understand. So the remaining time of their walk from Mingyu’s dorm to their own was spent in silence, of course Minghao wanted to talk. He wanted to resolve this issue, having basically been promoted to Soonyoung’s personal psychologist for the past year while he struggled with the issue of not wanting to tell Mingyu that they were soulmates. Maybe things would have been different if he had just confronted the taller to begin with?

 

No one would ever know the answer to that though as there was nothing to be confirmed. For all both of them knew, Mingyu hadn’t been lying. It has happened a few times in history that someone’s soulmate didn’t have their name on themselves, but it was very unlikely. And for some reason, Soonyoung couldn’t shake away the feeling that the taller had been keeping something from all of them. The way he had glanced over at him just before addressing Wonwoo, it might have meant more than what people would expect. It wasn’t just a regular glance, it was a mixture between a lot of emotions: desperation, anger, hope.

 

It was only once the pair of best friends arrived at their respective shared dorm that they began a conversation.

 

“Do you think he lied?” Minghao was the one who began their talk.

 

“Mingyu? I don’t know—”

 

“Oh come on! It’s impossible that he really has Wonwoo’s name on his wrist. If he did than he would have at least shown his wrist, and either way you have his name so how in the world would he not have yours?” With every word, the Chinese boy was talking faster obviously frustrated about this matter, maybe even more than Soonyoung – who was still too struck by pure shock to really feel anything at that moment.

 

“Don’t you remember history lessons? It had happened before, hasn’t it?”

 

“You know how science taught us that it is basically impossible? It’s more likely that he has both your and Wonwoo’s name. But he doesn’t! If it was just Wonwoo than he would have shown his wrist!”

 

“But wh—”

 

“No buts, Soon. You know he lied, you two are soulmates. If you would have just told him from the day you got your mark than maybe now he didn’t feel pressured into lying about it. He must have some reason to lie, maybe he doesn’t want to hurt Wonwoo just like how you didn’t want to hurt either of them? Or, maybe he thinks that since you never told him anything about it that you don’t want this?”

 

“This?”

 

“Jesus Christ, how dull are you? Maybe he thinks that you don’t want to be with him?”

 

Soonyoung almost found himself snickering in amusement at how passionately his best friend was debating this with him. Though he knew that the other was right, Mingyu was hiding something that’s for sure. More important than that was another question: Why? He needed to find out what was going on in the other’s mind. And perhaps clear up some things. The whole reason why he had never said anything about this was because he didn’t want to hurt Mingyu, but it seemed to have all him. Especially if Minghao was right.

 

A sigh washed away the silence that had wrapped around the two. “I guess I should talk to Mingyu tomorrow, huh?”

 

Minghao’s demeanour seemed to have become lighter as he nodded his head and patted his best friend on the shoulder before heading to his bedroom. Though this time it wasn’t just some disapproving pat but one that was encouraging.

 

“Seems like you’ve finally made a good decision. Goodnight, Soon.”