Part One: A Sad Ending, Again

Happy Ending
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“No!!!!” Wendy howled as she flipped herself over and flailed wildly on her bed.

Wendy is a 25 year old woman who is a journalist by day and a geek by night. The journalist had just completed reading a book from her favourite novelist but was extremely disappointed by its ending, once again. It was not the first time that the author had let her main character die in the book. Since Wendy had begun reading books written by this author a good four years before, she has never come across a book with a happy ending for its characters from this favourite novelist of hers.  

“What? What is it?” Her roommate, by the name of Joy asked, only perfunctorily, at the nerd’s gesture.

“No… she died…” Wendy whined once more as she rolled on the bed like a child throwing one of her worst tantrums.

Joy sighed at the oversized child’s antics and shook her head, showing as much pity as she could muster. “Well… not a he this time round?”

“No! And it happened in the last two chapters again! I cannot… let me console my aching heart.” Wendy massaged her chest theatrically, where her heart was, as she said.

Joy tutted at the girl’s action. Her roommate, a hopeless geek who was a loyal reader of a particular author had reacted the same way a year ago after she had finished another book by the same author. Wendy’s poor mood then lasted throughout a few months as she read and reread the same novel by the author, each time, whining about the ending.

“You know that it is going to get a sad ending anyway, why are you still reading his books?” Joy said, her voice laced with less sympathy this time.

Wendy, clearly offended, then sat upright instantly on her bed and cleared audibly. “Excuse me… J.H Kang is the best ever novelist alive. His character development is unrivalled and no one ever depicts character emotions as best as he can. Not to mention that the twists in the plot are so unpredictable but real at the same time... Also, also… he is just so cool as a package…”

Joy, believed that she has heard the same reasons umpteenth time, could only blame herself for asking the same question again. The roommate of the geek who was overly obsessed with author J.H Kang finally gave up and instead changed the topic to food, which, by the way, always works.

“Anyway, I am going to make salsa sauce to go with the chips I bought yesterday. Are you keen on having it?”

At the mentioning of food, Wendy Son, perked up like an ultra alert meerkat. “Food?! Why? Of course!”

Joy gave another shake of her head at her hopeless roommate’s actions. Wendy, was as easy to cheer up as ever and this was one of her best qualities.

 

Wendy and Joy were joined by their flatmate, Yeri, a highschool student whose side interest was to stalk idols. Despite her young age and busy schedule, Yeri was the most informative person that Wendy and Joy has ever known and was thus nicknamed “dog-nose Yeri” by her roommates. Like a dog, Yeri could sniff out every new news, even to the most minute details and it is a wonder how she manages to prod in areas where these information are available. Her knowledge ranges from where her favourite “oppas” and “unnies” live to who their parents are and even what their plans are for the future such as an upcoming marriage of a celebrity. Because of Yeri’s unparalleled stalking abilities, Wendy and Joy always get first-hand juicy news from the girl and Wendy, as a journalist, has time and again suggested for Yeri to join her in that field.

“The Salsa is really very good!” Bits of food were flying out of Yeri’s mouth as she spoke with full and continued stuffing herself with more.

“Yeri, can you please be more hygienic?” Wendy lectured.

“Ooooh… someone is in a bad mood today…” The high schooler poked the journalist on her sides as she teased.

“Yes, she is. You should not have brought it up. Now we cannot have peace while we are eating.” This time, it was Joy, who chided the young girl.

Yeri made an act of covering in shock. “Don’t tell me you have finished the book.”

Both Wendy and Joy nodded sadly in response and Yeri made another dramatic attempt at escaping the table but came back shortly after to fill with more chips and salsa.

“Why must he always end the book in such a pitiful way… I mean… I know it makes sense but still… main characters deserve a happy ending don’t they…?” Wendy started, heaping mounds of salsa onto her chip before putting them into , making sad noises as she did so.

“Know what? If you cannot give up reading his books and you think he is going to continue giving his characters such sad ending then perhaps you should confront him.” Yeri suggested.

Wendy almost choked on her chip with extra heaps of salsa when she heard the girl’s comment. “Confront him? Like how?” Wendy asked incredulously.

“Like go up to his face and tell him to stop giving his characters such sad endings!” Yeri stated agitatedly, banging her fist on the dining table as she did so.

Wendy’s mouth fell open at the girl’s suggestion. “You are crazy. How do I even go up to him and tell him that when all I know about him is just his name.”

“No, I am not crazy. A name is more than sufficient when Dog-nose Yeri is on the hunt. If you are truly serious about confronting him then yes, I will help you get his details.” Yeri nudged the journalist as she beckoned.

“Well… I bet you can never locate him… He is too mysterious. Never holds fan-signing events, never shows his face and… honestly… besides his novel, there is nothing we know about him. Even his author’s notes are super short, like, it is non-exist

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter