Part Four: A Long, Sleepless Night

Happy Ending
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy knew sleep would not come easily that night and she was right. In just a short night’s discussion, the two girls had bonded over books and Wendy knew in her heart that that bond was not a simple one. J.H seemed such a distant person to her at the start, in fact, Wendy knew that J.H’s personality must have been as such through the works that she had weaved and her lifestyle. Yet, Wendy had managed to not get booted out of the house and even scored an overnight stay at the much elusive author’s abode. This was a dream come true for the loyal reader and Wendy could not contain her excitement as she exchanged quick texts with her flatmates that night. J.H had even kindly given her permission to explore the house if she had wanted to. Despite given such allowances, Wendy wondered if she should truly do it because after all, they had just met, but curiosity got the better of her and she crept out of her room.

J.H had also showed her where her own room was and Wendy wondered if she should inform her host that she would be exploring a little but then again, Wendy thought that it must have also been a long and tiring day for the author and decided to leave her undisturbed.

Now alone, the guest was able to pay attention to the minute detail of the two-storey house. The house was not excessively huge but it was still big enough for one person living in it. Wendy had not wanted to ask earlier but she truly found it odd that J.H was living by herself but it might not be polite to probe into such matters on just the first day of knowing each other.

Wendy, found her attention snatched by a humble-looking mahogany cabinet that housed several award plaques in them and peered into it. These were undoubtedly the writing awards that J.H had begotten since her adolescent years.

South Korea’s Rising Writer Award

J.H Kang

 

Fiction Book of the Year: The Memory Lane

J.H Kang

 

Teenage’s Choice Award

J.H Kang

 

Young Fiction Author Award

Bae Joohyun

Wendy froze as she saw the plaque which stood staring back at her. Bae Joohyun… that must undoubtedly have been J.H’s real name but what surprised her was the surname… Bae… Not Kang? The guest felt her heart drumming in her chest. If J.H had adopted the surname ‘Kang’ then that must have been because she is married or had been married. Or was it just a pen name to mask her real name entirely. Wendy did not know but the possibility that J.H was married had never occurred to her throughout their discussion just now. The guest decided set this aside as she continued to look for more clues to get her answer but there was none, at least not in the common area.

The house guest then wondered if J.H’s invitation for her to explore the house has extended to the rooms as well and Wendy struggled with the thought of it, eventually deciding to probe into one of them. There, she got her answer.

The house guest had entered a room which she believe was the study and found the light switch. She let her jaws drop open as the room became illuminated. Feeling as if she was brought down a memory lane, Wendy could not help but feel touched by the effort that was put into this room. There were rows and rows of polaroid and photographs alike, neatly hung up and here and there were notes with pretty handwriting on them.

The girl dared herself to inspect those photos closely and she stopped in her tracks as a vague sense of recognition came to her. She knew the girl in the photo, not J.H, but the girl that was right beside J.H and a sickening feeling struck her. She then went down the rows of pictures and found the girl to be in every single photo with J.H. Wendy was becoming dizzy as her mind pieced everything together. The girl in the pictures was Wendy’s childhood friend, Kang Seulgi.

The very same Kang Seulgi who had attended the same school with her all the way up to highschool until Wendy had accepted an overseas scholarship and gone to Canada to pursue journalism instead. The very same Kang Seulgi who had been her best friend throughout her life. The very same Kang Seulgi who had died in a terrible road accident four years before when she was in her second year of university life. Wendy had regrettably learnt about her close friend’s death overseas and had fallen so ill that she was not well enough to return to Korea in time for her friend’s funeral. J.H Kang… Kang… Kang Seulgi.

Wendy gasped when she heard a voice from behind.

 

“I thought you might find this room. Perhaps I wanted somebody to find this room, perhaps I wanted you to find this room. I am not so sure myself.” Irene said, there was sorrow in her voice.

Then, as if in slow motion, Irene saw Wendy falling and lunged forward to catch the girl. “Hey, you okay?” Irene was feeling so surprised by the girl’s reaction, it was as though Wendy was feeling more heartache than she was and she was certain that the girl was feeling pained when Wendy looked up into her eyes.

“Seulgi…” Wendy began and Irene brows furrowed at the mention of the name. It was only later that she realised that Wendy must have known Seulgi too and her body stiffened in shock.  

 

“You… and her…” Wendy’s words were lost on herself.

In that moment, Wendy knew that she might have found the answer to her question. Were happy endings too unrealistic for you, J.H Kang, J.H, Joohyun? I know, because I have been there before, because I know how darkness looks like and I know how difficult it was to walk out of it.

With tears streaming down her face, Irene nodded and as understanding passed between the two girls, the two girls shared an embrace, one that felt everlasting to Wendy, one that transcends time and space, one that connected both their feelings together to be merged as one.

“I am sorry for your loss…” Wendy muttered.

“I am sorry too…” Joohyun replied.

 

T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter