selfish choices

complexity.

 

It has been a long, rough week.

 

Since the announcement of J&J’s CEO marriage, Chorong and Namjoo had to move in immediately into the Jung Residences before the press could come knocking their door. As the penthouse is spacious, there was plenty of room for more tenants especially pets. Namjoo was given her own bedroom that was triple the size of her original, which made the girl happier than ever.

 

She was busy arranging all of her SHINEE merchandise now that she had all the space. Her walls were pasted with posters, shelves packed with albums and her desk neatly organized with her school items.

 

“Wow, you sure are a big fan of them.” Eunji exclaimed, peeking into her new daughter’s room.

 

“Y-Yeah, I heard you met them before?”

 

“During fashion week, yes.” The CEO said, noticing the envy in Namjoo’s eyes. “I can try and get you a ticket to their upcoming Seoul Concert. How’s that?” She asked with a smile.

 

“W-Wow, really?!” Namjoo gasped with excitement. Perhaps, she was really lucky that her new mom was the CEO of J&J. Her connections were really amazing.

 

“Throw that in with a backstage pass, how’s that?” Eunji winked as she naturally Namjoo’s hair. She was smiling from ear to ear, happy that Namjoo was elated with the idea. After all, she was doing her best. Of course, she had to balance and divide the love between her two daughters. But she wanted to know Namjoo more.

 

“But I don’t want to go alone though. Wonder if Hayoung would go, she’s a Girls Generation fan actually.”

 

“Ah…” The mention of Hayoung had Namjoo losing her smile, but she acted like there was nothing between them. “I’ll drag her along if I have too. We’re sisters now.” Namjoo said with a smile. But her heart hurt as she said those words. It ached but she bore through the pain and bit her lip, hiding it with a fake smile.

 

“That’s good! Bring her out. She’s always stuck in the internet café. That girl’s up to no good.”

 

An aromatic smell wafted through the room, a sign that dinner was being prepared downstairs. With the help of Sojin and Po in the cage, Chorong cooked with ease. Chopping vegetables, boiling a pot of soup and many other things, she got along well with the butler. But the lady noticed Hayoung peeking through, gulping as her eyes focused on the large pot of spicy rice cakes.

 

“Do you want to try?” The lady asked with a laugh. Immediately, the girl walked over and was fed a spoonful. “How is it?”

 

“It’s exactly the same. Wow.” Hayoung her lips, wanting to savour the flavor a bit longer.

 

“That’s a relief.” Chorong smiled. “Do you want to help out?”

 

“M-Me?” Hayoung pointed to herself as if her new mother was talking about her.

 

“Yes. Why?”

 

“I-I’m a terrible cook. I don’t want to burn down the kitchen…mom.” As much as it was difficult to say those words, but it managed to come out of .

 

Mom.

 

Hayoung had to accept the reality, the fact that the woman in front of her was getting married to Eunji. Her family was growing bigger and although it made her happy, it left a sour feeling inside her heart. If only it wasn’t Chorong, everything else would’ve been perfect.

 

“She’s right madam. Hayoung is a terrible cook.” Sojin stepped in. “It’s best to just have the two of us in the kitchen.”

 

“Is that so?” Chorong giggled. “Sorry Hayoung, I guess we’ll have to kick you out.”

 

“That’s fine. I’ll head out.” The girl left the kitchen and entered the living room, only to meet Namjoo who was passing by. The two only exchanged glances but quickly avoided each other. Going their separate ways, Hayoung walked past Namjoo’s bedroom and gaped at the amount of SHINEE posters all over the walls. It used to be her personal gaming room until Eunji forced her to disassemble everything and transfer it into her bedroom.

 

“It looks better now without all your gaming junk.” Eunji said as she met her daughter along the corridor.

 

“That only means that I’m camping in one room and not two.”

 

“Your new sister just promised me to stop your video game addiction.”

 

“Sister…” Hayoung couldn’t get used to that. It was just happening all so suddenly and honestly, she wished this was all a dream.

 

When Eunji explained to her calmly about their situation, there was no other choice.

 

While she has learnt that Fana Corporations had been playing dirty all along, she realized how Heechul was indeed a bad influence to her. Although their marriage was for the sake of saving J&J, Hayoung hated it. Her selfish thoughts wanted her mother to sell her company so that Chorong and Eunji wouldn’t have to get married.

 

But either way, they would still do it eventually.

 

“You…okay?” Eunji asked, noticing that Hayoung was remaining silent.

 

“Yeah. Just a little tired. I’m going to rest in my room. Wake me up when it’s time for dinner.” Hayoung said as she walked back into her bedroom and closed the door.

 

The CEO was rather perplexed. It was supposed to be a happy festive. She wondered if her daughter didn’t quite agree to the fact that her mother was getting married. Various assumptions popped up in her mind, but Eunji came to a conclusion that Hayoung just wasn’t used to this whole “new family” thing. She believed that all that was needed was, time.

 

Hearing chatter and laughter from downstairs, Eunji looked down from the balcony and smiled upon watching her lover interacting with her daughter. She was happy that the house was now going to become livelier.

 

Her dream of a perfect family was finally coming true.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Since the announcement of J&J’s CEO, Jung Eunji’s engagement to her employee, there has been mixed responses from the public but many are congratulating the couple. The wedding details are still in discussion.”

 

Watching the television while on her bed, Bomi was out of the ICU and transferred into a normal ward. Beside her, was Naeun who fed her porridge as the two looked on, a video of Eunji’s press conference came onto the screen and pictures of the alleged kiss scene went by.

 

Bomi turned her head round to gaze into her lover’s orbs. She reached her hand out to cup her face, circling her thumb around her swollen cheeks as she would just look at her for a long time.

 

She was thankful to have such a beautiful woman like her in her life.

 

 

Everything was fuzzy as she woke up to the blinking flashes from the doctor’s pocket light. But she could feel herself returning back to reality, breathing in the air that filled her lungs as her ears picked up sounds of earth.

 

“She’s regaining conscious.”

 

A voice that seemed like a man but Bomi’s eyes were rolling about, blurry visions as she couldn’t catch his face. But judging from the white colours, she assumed that it was a doctor. Piecing everything together, she was sure that this was a hospital.

 

“Thank you so much, Doctor.”

 

Now, that is a voice that felt close to home. Her tone that spelled of warmth and comfort. It didn’t take long before her senses felt something wrapping her hands tightly.

 

As her eyes focused slowly, the images began to become clearer and in front of her, is Naeun. It was only then, she could feel safe and relieved.

 

As days went by, Bomi began to show signs of improvement as the poison was no longer affecting her state. Slowly, she could see things better and feel things deeper.  Eventually, she could make up little words that turn into phrases and then, clear sentences. Whilst she was in no condition to do anything, she saw Naeun every single day.

 

In the fact, the lady practically camped at her ward. She would eat, sleep and work by her side. At times, Naeun would sit at the corner with her laptop on her crossed legs as she would work normally. After all, a freelancer like her had no official position nor boss to attend to. Whenever Bomi needed something, she was right there.

 

Perhaps, it was the power of love.

 

“Naeun.”

 

She was able to have the strength to speak normally now.

 

“Do you need water?” She asked, quickly going to her side.

 

“No.”

 

Weakly but with effort, she held and intertwined her fingers around Naeun’s. “I’m sorry for keeping it a secret from you.” She confessed. Ever since she regained conscious, that was the first thing in her mind. It was frustrating because she could not say it at that moment, but now was the right time. “I knew from the start that Taejoon was in fact, involved in that -murder case. Dongwoon contacted me two months ago and I worked with him, investigating his movements while still acting out as his girlfriend.”

 

“Unnie.”

 

“He planned on you as his next target.” Bomi tightened the grip. “That’s why, I couldn’t let that happen. This was why I delayed on meeting him, just so I could finally catch him with the cooperation of Dongwoon and his team.”

 

“But…that means…”

 

“I chose to risk my life to protect you” She smiled weakly. “Because I love you so damn much.”

 

Tears trailed down Naeun’s cheeks. “Do you know how much pain I went through because of that?” She sobbed, her heart engulfing in anger yet sadness at the same time. As much as she hated the fact that Bomi just went on her own actions without telling her, she didn’t like that.

 

“I’m sorry. But, this is the only time I will keep a secret from you. No more hiding.” Bomi smiled. “I promise.”

 

“You better…you fool.” Naeun rubbed her tears away and embraced her girlfriend.

 

“I’m not letting anyone break us apart.”

 

 

There was a knock on the door as the doctor and nurses came in to do another round of checking. After several tests, the man exchanged glances with the nurse, nodding with a smile.

 

“Congratulations Yoon Bomi, you are ready to be discharged.” He informed, marking on the report. “Your vital signs are back to normal and you’re in top notch condition.”

 

“Awesome! I can make it in time for my best friend’s wedding!” The lady rejoiced, stretching her arms out wide and she grinned. “And that also means I finally get out of this boring place! Naeun, we can go out on dates now- oh, we can also make love all night too!”

 

“U-Unnie!” The lady blushed, nudging her girlfriend as the doctor and nurse were still present in the room. They covered their mouths and giggled, handing a letter of discharge to Naeun as they left.

 

With the room shut, Naeun didn’t take any time to gently hit her girlfriend who had no control over her words.

 

“I hate you!”

 

“And I love you.” Bomi laughed as she planted a kiss on her cheek.

 

It didn’t take long before the couple held their hands together, leaving the ward as they were at the lobby, paying off the hospital bills as they had planned on a date with nothing but just love and fun.

 

Bomi coolly signed a cheque as all of her medical bills were to be paid by her company, a.k.a The Grand J&J. She loved watching the faces of the nurses gaping, realizing which company she was working for and how their attitudes quickly changed 360 degrees.

 

“Let’s go and grab lunch. I’m hungry.” The lady said, arms in arms with her lover.

 

“I’m driving today so I get to decide.” Naeun smiled, swinging the car key around her forefinger.

 

As they waited at the lift, they giggled and stole kisses from each other when no one was looking. They were already in their happy, little bubble. But happiness doesn’t last forever.

 

With a ring, the doors opened wide as the couple was confronted with a man. A man who was very familiar to Bomi.

 

“D-Dad?”

 

Bomi quickly retracted her arms away from Naeun and bowed, greeting him. “W-What are you doing here?”

 

“I finally managed to take a leave from my job, drove all the way here from Suwon and the first thing you ask me is that?!” The man scowled as his eyes scanned to Naeun. “Who is this beautiful lady here?”

 

“Oh, she’s Naeun. My friend.”

 

“I see. And why are you walking around? Shouldn’t you be in the ward, resting?”

 

“Dad, I just got discharged today.”

 

“Is that so? Then, great! Since you’re here, show me around Seoul so that my trip isn’t wasted!” The man crossed his arms as he stared at the couple. “Come on, don’t you miss your father?”

 

“O-Of course dad!” Bomi stuttered as she entered the lift, dragging her girlfriend along. Naeun glanced at her in which the lady raised her eyebrows and gave her a bunch of signals using her nose and mouth. Naeun tried hard to hold her laughter as Bomi looked ugly from all those funny expressions but kept her cool and nodded.

 

It was a language that only the two of them could decipher.

 

“Just follow my lead and I will handle all the talking. I don’t know why my dad is suddenly here.”

 

That was the message and certainly, it meant code zero.

 

Ever since they began exchanging letters from long time ago, Bomi had mentioned about her father several times and how he was always busy from work. According to her girlfriend, the man was perceived as a strict father who followed traditional values and is very much opposed to a same- relationship. This was one of the few hurdles that the couple had worried about since they started their love.

 

Bomi’s father would’ve been the last opponent to defeat if they ever planned on marriage. (which was still a plan far far away.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Arranged on the table was an array of dishes, perfect for a celebration feast. It was a night meant to celebrate the official moving of Chorong and Namjoo into the Jung Residences, along with the marriage. It was a start of a new beginning for the family and certainly, a grand dinner needs to be served.

 

While the engaged couple was happy and joyful, the supposed “sisters” were crying in the inside of their hearts. They didn’t know how long they could keep up this façade of being a happy family. Just a little more, and maybe they could let their shields down.

 

“Here. Eat up.” Chorong smiled, cutting a piece of steak and placing it onto Hayoung’s plate.

 

“I heard from your mother that you have a big appetite.” Eunji said as she gave Namjoo a whole bowl of spicy rice cakes from the pot.

 

The children nodded and ate quietly, avoiding glances as they would feel more pain if they were to look at each other. They were supposed to be lovers but now, they are as soon-to-be sisters.

 

Chorong and Eunji noticed the sullen atmosphere but decided that the whole situation was new and awkward to their children. The couple assumed that time was needed and that the two would start acting like normal just like how they usually were at school.

 

While they had tried to strike a conversation with any topics that could come up with, it was obvious that the children weren’t exactly their energetic selves. As they ate, the CEO noticed a small smear of spicy rice cake sauce on her lover’s lips. She couldn’t help but to take a tissue and wipe it for her.

 

In fact, the couple had agreed to not show any “lovey-dovey” actions in front of their children, aware of how awkward they must be in that position. They wanted to become understanding, mature parents and show a good example. But this time, Eunji had accidentally let down her guard.

 

“It’s okay, I can wipe it myself…” Chorong said softly, taking the tissue instead.

 

“Right.” Eunji cleared and quickly looked at Hayoung and Namjoo. As expected, their reactions weren’t bright.

 

“I’m going to my room.” Hayoung said as she stood up from the table. She couldn’t stand this anymore, it was suffocating her.

 

“But you haven’t finished your meal.” Chorong said with worry.

 

“It’s okay. I’m full.” The girl headed upstairs and escaped into her room.

 

Namjoo on the other hand, ate quickly, stuffing her food into as she chewed and swallowed. Unlike Hayoung, there was no way she could just leave the scene like that. If there was food prepared, she would eat it till her plate is clean. She wasn’t like Hayoung who had the ability to starve herself.

 

“I’m done. Thank you for the meal!” Namjoo said, standing up, bowing and walking upstairs with quick steps.

 

With their presence gone, Chorong gently hit Eunji’s shoulder. “I told you to be careful.” She whispered with a frown.

 

“S-Sorry! It just kind of happened…” The CEO’s voice got softer. “Guess us getting married really took a big shock to them…I didn’t take this into account.”

 

“Me neither.” Chorong sighed. “I’ve never seen my Namjoo having that look on her face.”

 

As Namjoo walked along the corridor, about to turn into her new bedroom, she stopped in front of Hayoung’s door instead. Knocking three times, the door peeked open. As soon as Hayoung noticed that it was Namjoo outside, she quickly pulled her in and locked the door.

 

In their own private space, the two kissed, unable to resist their temptations any longer. It was going to be much more difficult now that they were living under the same roof. After satisfying their desires for each other, the two leaned against the door and hugged tightly.

 

“What the are we going to do?” Hayoung sighed, gently wrapping her palms around Namjoo’s nape as she looked at her. “I hate this so damn much.”

 

“We shouldn’t be doing this anymore.” Namjoo said as she clutched tightly onto her girlfriend’s sleeves. But she could not let herself go. Instead, she wanted to be in her embrace forever.

 

Saddened and distraught that things had to turn out this way, tears travelled down her cheeks. “Why does this have to happen to us?” She sobbed.

 

“God hates us, that’s why. We’re weren’t meant to be.” Hayoung tried to hold onto her tears. But watching Namjoo burst in front of her, everything else flowed out. Crying in each other’s arms, the children could do nothing.

 

What began as a fruitful love story of these two youngsters, they learnt how being in love could be painful. They were trapped with no other options, being forced to set aside their love because their parents were getting married. Turning from girlfriends to sisters, is a nightmare.

 

“Should we just pack up and run away? Let’s go back to Akdong. It’s so peaceful there. No one’s gonna find us.” Hayoung suggested, almost going crazy as she was cornered.

 

“That’s not going to work. Did you forget that your mother is the great CEO of J&J? Just one snap of the finger and she can send a whole police search team for us!”

 

“!” The girl cussed as her hands formed into a fist, hitting the wall. Her other arm was still wrapped around Namjoo’s waist as she was balancing between anger and love.  

 

“We have to do things smartly.” Namjoo said as an idea popped in her head. “I have one in plan and it’s definitely better than running away.” She cupped her hands onto Hayoung’s cheeks and looked into her dark, brown orbs.

 

It wasn’t the perfect plan, but it would do a good job in delaying the marriage of their parents. The couple planned on ransacking the house, in search of the marriage documents and destroying it completely. It was a subtler idea, rather than running away and creating a whole ruckus.

 

It was lame. But, that was the plan until they could come up with something better.

 

As their emotions tilted quickly from sadness, anger and lust, the couple decided that spending the remaining time they had left as a couple was more worth. With the door locked, the two cuddled in bed, shared kisses and chatted through the night, giggling and laughing. As long as no one disturbed their little bubble, they were happy at that very moment, at least until it lasted.

 

When morning came, they went back to their usual selves. It was more like a test of their acting skills, resisting the urge to suddenly kiss each other or make flirty comments while being in the household.

 

It was difficult but, they loved the idea of living together. Even though, it was for a bad reason.

 

 

 

 

 

 

They were supposed to be at the Han River, having a picnic together as they would walk along the nearby park hand-in-hand, chat and spend time like any other couple. But here, their plans suddenly turned into a tour around Seoul for an old man who took a day leave to visit his “sick” daughter.

 

“Ah, Seoul is really nice place!” The man said with glee, one leg up as he ate his bowl of noodles. Slurping away as he would randomly wipe his snort with his sleeves, it wasn’t a pleasant sight. Indeed, he was a carefree man but not aware of proper table manners. These were the characteristics of a “normal” countryside worker who did not know much of the city.

 

“Did you book any hotel to stay, dad?” Bomi asked nervously, hoping that he would not answer-

 

“Why do I need to book a hotel when my daughter has a big apartment in Seoul?”

 

Yup. That was the dreadful answer. Her chances of spending a wonderful night with her girlfriend all gone down the drain.

 

As much as Bomi was thankful for her dad of going out of the way to visit her, the daughter from Suwon clearly wasn’t happy with his presence. It wasn’t because they didn’t have a good relationship. It was because of her father’s traditional ways of thinking. There was no way she could ever tell him about how gay she is for women, or the fact that she had lost her ity to a woman.

 

Since young, her father wanted her daughter to marry a man. When she turned into her thirties, the man grew impatient and even thought of arranging a marriage with a random fellow from the village. Obviously, Bomi knew that her father wanted grandchildren and a strong man to continue the bloodline. But that was his own selfish values. The lady had plans of her own and having Taejoon as her “boyfriend” back then, was just a decoy to delay the doomed “arranged marriage.”

 

Deciding that it was better to deal this by herself, Bomi whispered something in Naeun’s ear to which her girlfriend nodded.

 

“Uncle, I’m going to leave because I have work to do. I hope that you will always be healthy and happy.” Naeun bowed with a smile and left the restaurant.

 

With Naeun gone, Bomi could finally get down to business. It was time that she finally confessed it to him. There was no point delaying it and eventually, she would have to face the wrath of her father no matter what.

 

“Dad.” Her hands were fidgeting out of nervousness as she called her.

 

“Oh? Do you want to order more food?” He raised his head up and asked.

 

“No. I’m full.” She chuckled. “But I have something that I want to talk to you about.”

 

“Is that so? Why? Did you a man knock you up and you’re pregnant?” The man was joking but still hopeful.

 

“D-Dad!!” Bomi almost shouted out loud. “I broke up with my boyfriend already.” She said in a lower tone.

 

“What?!” This time, it was the man’s turn to be loud. “Did he attack you?! Did he cheat on you?!”

 

“Calm down dad!” Bomi had to forced the man back into his seat. “Well he did kind of hurt me but it would be a long story and you would fall asleep halfway anyway- but! I have a reason to do so dad!” The lady rambled halfway, noticing the confusion in her dad’s eyes already. For many years, Bomi knew that simplicity was the answer. Her father wouldn’t get her if complex words were used or long explanations.

 

She paused and took a breath, hoping that her dad wouldn’t go shouting about and disturbing the customers upon what she is about to say.

 

“I like women.”

 

One second.

 

“I have a girlfriend.”

 

Two seconds.

 

Her father was blinking rapidly, as if trying to process the words that went through his ears. A short moment of silence, before a sudden rage.

 

“What?!” He yelled, almost wanting to lift the table over.

 

“Dad- “

 

“You have gone crazy. You have! Living in this city has made you mad! You’re coming home! I must teach you and remind you back of who you truly are!” The man took Bomi’s hand and was very well ready to drag her out.

 

“Stop it!” Bomi said, halting her steps as she shoved his hands away. “This is my life! You can’t decide what I am going to do, who I am going to marry or even decide whether I’m having children!”

 

“You’re speaking nonsense! If your mother was alive now, she would be so disappointed to see what you have become! You’ve gone completely selfish and ignored the values of our family!”

 

“That’s right! I’m selfish, so what?!”

 

This simply fumed the anger in her father, even further. He was almost on the verge of finding something to hit her.

 

“Bomi!!” He yelled. “Do you want me to disown you?!”

 

“Yeah, do it then. Disown me!” The lady shouted back. “Go back home and continue tending to those cows! Without me around, your worries are all gone! It was not like you were the one who raised me anyway.” Bomi said as she stormed off, leaving her father in the restaurant. She had paid for the bill earlier but this time, she wasn’t going to give in to pity anymore.

 

She could not care less to what would happen to her father at that point. It would’ve been better if he disappeared from his life, so that she could live in peace without any worries.

 

A perfect world with just her and Naeun, no one else would be left to break them apart anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

The day they returned to school, the girls were surrounded with their classmates congratulating the marriage of their parents. Most were supportive and rather shocked at how the school’s popular rivals were now sisters-to-be. But for Joy, Yerin, Hwasa and Wheein, they knew from that it wasn’t something to celebrate about.

 

Nothing could fool their closest friends.

 

They didn’t even need to ask them to know that Hayoung and Namjoo began to date secretly during their Akdong field trip. Worried, the group kept a close eye on the two who often disappeared together during lunch. Searching the rooftop and empty classrooms, they were out of sight.

 

“Where did those lovebirds go?!” Joy scratched her head, tired from searching the whole school.

 

Rustling among the bushes in the school’s spacious garden, Hayoung popped her head out to check if anyone was around. When the coast is clear, the girl leaned against the brick wall, allowing her girlfriend to climb across with a lift of her feet.

 

“Alright, I’m out.” Namjoo gave a signal to which the girl nodded and simply took a deep breath. With one big leap, Hayoung easily caught hold of the edge thanks to her height and somehow, managed to cross over. They were now outside of their school compounds, still in their uniform that was slightly smudged with dirt and soil, but it was worth.

 

“Text me if you find anything.” The girl said, handing her house keys to her. She stole it this morning.

 

“Don’t get caught.” Namjoo said with worry.

 

Hayoung leaned and planted a quick peck on her cheek, smiling with assurance. “I won’t. Now, go.”

 

The girlfriends went their separate ways. Namjoo headed back to the Jung Residence while Hayoung liaised with her chauffeur, Hyeri and went to the J&J company building. Thanks to her favourite unnie, she was informed that both Eunji and Chorong were not in office at the moment, making it the perfect opportunity to infiltrate.

 

Earlier, Namjoo had begged Sojin to not say anything and let her do her thing, in which the butler compiled. Returning home and sluggishly tossing her sneakers off, she ran upstairs to the master bedroom and began her search. She started with the shelves then drawers, and piles of papers to see if there was anything related to their parent’s marriage. But it was all beginning to be fruitless.

 

As she tried to search deeper, peeking through hidden cracks and holes to see if there was anything, Namjoo decided to use all her strength and lift the king-sized mattress up. It was then, she spotted something underneath. A worn-out photo, but the quality was still maintained.

 

It was a photo of a seemingly young Jung Eunji and a couple smiling. Judging from the clothes, it appeared that the CEO attended the wedding of the couple.

 

“Who are these people?”

 

With the excuse of being the “daughter”, Hayoung easily passed through the receptionist counter and entered the lift to the highest floor. But there was one more hurdle, the guard outside her mother’s office.

 

“Hayoung-ssi? It’s been awhile since you’ve come here.” The guard asked, surprised to see her.

 

“Yeah, it’s been awhile uncle. Can I sit inside the office while waiting for my mother?” Hayoung acted out with the perfect lie.

 

“Of course. We can’t have you standing out here. Go on in.” The guard smiled, keying the password and opening the door for the J&J daughter.

 

“Thank you.” Hayoung bowed and entered, shutting the door as she got straight to work. It had been almost years since she last stepped foot inside, but the girl remembered where everything was. Although it was big, but the girl searched through meticulously, starting from one point.

 

She searched through the shelves, going past her mother’s book collections and then crouching down to open drawers. Flipping through files as her fingers skipped across papers, peeking a small fold, there was still no sign of anything related to her mother’s marriage. In the end, the last place was the desk. It was neatly organized, her laptop is shut and there was a photo of her mother carrying her as an infant.

 

Hayoung didn’t want her feelings to get involved into this and simply ignored the photo. She opened each of the drawers, down to the last one. As she lifted the piles of papers, she slipped her hand underneath to see if there was anything hidden at the bottom. Turns out, there was. It was a brown, large envelope tied together with white strings.

 

With quick hands, she unfastened the strings and pulled the document out.

 

“Certificate of Surrogancy.”

 

She only read the first few words printed at the top and her heart froze. She blinked twice and tried to decipher it again, wondering if she had read it wrongly.

 

But it wasn’t.

 

In the end, Hayoung wasn’t blood-related to her mother in the first place.

 

“You skip school just to make a mess out of my office?”

 

The girl flinched upon hearing that familiar tone and voice. She lifted her head up and there she was. The CEO of J&J, her mother, Eunji was standing right at the door, crossing her arms.

 

“H-How long have you been standing there?”

 

“Since you started digging my desk and tossing paper everywhere. I knew you’d be here.” Eunji walked to her daughter who was frozen still, her hand holding the document as her eyes were widened in shock. “You should’ve told me instead of searching the truth like that.” Eunji smiled sadly, caressing her daughter’s cheek.

 

“W-What do you mean?”

 

“That you’re in love with Namjoo.”

 

“How did you know?”

 

“Because I’m your mom. Mom knows everything.” Eunji said.

 

In fact, the mother had been eavesdropping the couple’s conversation last night. She had gone upstairs to ask Hayoung if something was wrong and noticed a murmur outside her door. She leaned her ear in and heard it all. The pain that the children suffered because of the marriage, it hurt her. But the CEO knew that it meant that, the time to unveil the truth was here.

 

She didn’t want to burden them and break off their relationship just because of their marriage. There was so much more complexity behind it.

 

“Mom…is this real? You’re not related to me…?” Hayoung asked, choking her words as she felt betrayed all along. “Is this why you’ve never paid attention to me since the beginning? So I was right. This love is fake…I- “

 

“Hayoung, listen to me. Since the moment of your birth, you are my daughter. Yes, you came from another mother but you were in my womb. I have made many mistakes but this is not because I am not blood-related to you. The company and you are two different matters and I have learnt to become a better mom. That’s why I decided that it was better to let you find the truth. I want you to be happy and I don’t want anything to stop you from achieving that.”

 

“Y-You’re saying that because of this truth…”

 

“You can be with Namjoo. At home, the two of you are sisters but outside, the two of you can be anything you want to be.” Eunji smiled, wiping the tears that trailed down her daughter’s cheeks.

 

“Then…who are my real parents…?” Hayoung sobbed, feeling confused by all of this.

 

“Jung Taekwoon and Oh Hwayoung.” Eunji replied.

 

“The story behind J&J is because of him. The two of us were childhood friends and dreamed of setting up a fashion company together. As we lived through life, your father fell in love but, your mother could not bear a child because she was ill.” The lady tightened the grip around her daughter, afraid to reveal the darker truth of what happened. “So I offered to become the surrogate and bore their child, which is you. But,” She paused as she looked into Hayoung’s orbs. “Before you were born, your mother passed away from her sickness. Your father was stricken with sadness and…he committed suicide because of a broken heart.”

 

“I…see…” Hayoung hugged her mother, finding the truth shocking yet sad.

 

“I worked really hard to make J&J to where it is today, in memory of him and your mother. That’s why, this company is also dedicated to you, Hayoung. Do you understand?” Eunji cooed, her hair and comforting her.

 

“I do.” The girl snuggled her head onto her mother’s shoulders. “You’re the only mom I have.”

 

“Well, aren’t you lucky to know that you already have three moms?” Eunji chuckled, relieved at the response. She was afraid that Hayoung might hate her again after all the efforts they did to build back the cracks.

 

And she’s glad that Hayoung is still her daughter, no matter what.

 

 

 

--

A/N: It's not the end yet! There's still the final epilogue to Complexity! ^^